Thanks for your support!

Selection 3.83: Louis Nix NT

Thumbs up or down on Louis Nix at 3.83?

• Up

Votes: 137 93.8%
  • Down

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Unlikely Nix would have a "noticeable limp" at this point if he had a simple arthroscopic knee clean out. The more likely scenario is an early return from patellar decompression (a 9 week return to play [not return to previous performance]).

If that's the case how do you think that affects him long-term?

If that's the case how do you think that affects him long-term?

If indeed it is a patellar decompression recovery, and the decompression is successful, he has a very good chance of becoming who we expect him to be.

And, as I have posted in the past, as far as the meniscus surgery he underwent last year, since the meniscus tissue was REPAIRED instead of REMOVED, the long-term prognosis should also be good. With REMOVAL, you are exposing underlying bone or at very least thinning out the protective cartilage covering. This sets the stage for the development and progression of arthritis. With REPAIR, you are laying down and securing the separated cartilage back into place so you are giving the bone the best chance to regaining full protective coverage.

Unlikely Nix would have a "noticeable limp" at this point if he had a simple arthroscopic knee clean out. The more likely scenario is an early return from patellar decompression (a 9 week return to play [not return to previous performance]).
So, do you think Nix goes on the PUP list to start the season?

If indeed it is a patellar decompression recovery, and the decompression is successful, he has a very good chance of becoming who we expect him to be.

And, as I have posted in the past, as far as the meniscus surgery he underwent last year, since the meniscus tissue was REPAIRED instead of REMOVED, the long-term prognosis should also be good. With REMOVAL, you are exposing underlying bone or at very least thinning out the protective cartilage covering. This sets the stage for the development and progression of arthritis. With REPAIR, you are laying down and securing the separated cartilage back into place so you are giving the bone the best chance to regaining full protective coverage.

Who are you and what have you done with CnD?

I've had 4 meniscus related knee surgeries,

I still feel stupid after reading this.

Great news.

Who are you and what have you done with CnD?
Hey now, Doc has good new sometimes

I would believe that they would want to have him available prior to mid season (PUP). If I am correct re. the procedure he had, I would expect him to be back in shape and probably be able to perform satisfactorily within the next 2 months. If he is placed on reserve PUP, I believe as a rookie who has already missed OTAs and part of TC, he will have lost too much practice/experience time to be much use at all this season. If he is still indeed limping, I would still be cautious and bring him along relatively slowly over the next month.

I would believe that they would want to have him available prior to mid season (PUP). If I am correct re. the procedure he had, I would expect him to be back in shape and probably be able to perform satisfactorily within the next 2 months. If he is placed on reserve PUP, I believe as a rookie who has already missed OTAs and part of TC, he will have lost too much practice/experience time to be much use at all this season. If he is still indeed limping, I would still be cautious and bring him along relatively slowly over the next month.

PUP isn't an option going forward this season.

Because he has been added to the active roster and is back at practice, the team can no longer place him on the regular season PUP.
Link

Getting back on the field?
While the rest of his draft class was putting together a solid game against Atlanta, Louis Nix still hasn’t been in an NFL game.

The rookie nose tackle, who had surgery before training camp, is getting closer to returning and O’Brien said Nix is on track to play next Saturday against Denver.

“He’s got a lot to do to catch up,” O’Brien said before highlighting football shape, football knowledge, NFL knowledge and knowing what it takes to play every day in the NFL as areas that need improvement.

When asked about Brandon Brooks’ returning, O’Brien said: “We’re working towards that. He’s got a lot to do to catch up.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/texans-notes-denver-bound-nix-and-brooks

Sounded like Nix III is in OB's doghouse, a bit...

"It’s been OK," head coach Bill O'Brien said of Nix's improvement. "He’s gotta get a lot better. He’s a third-round draft pick and he needs to make sure he’s working extremely hard every day to play pro football. We’re in the process of figuring out who the 53-man roster is. A lot of those things we take into account."

"You have a guy there that’s a young guy who really doesn’t totally get it yet, what it means to play in this league," O'Brien said. "He has to come out and earn it. He’s better than he was when he came out on the field a couple weeks ago against Atlanta but he’s got a long way to go."

Sounded like Nix III is in OB's doghouse, a bit...

"It’s been OK," head coach Bill O'Brien said of Nix's improvement. "He’s gotta get a lot better. He’s a third-round draft pick and he needs to make sure he’s working extremely hard every day to play pro football. We’re in the process of figuring out who the 53-man roster is. A lot of those things we take into account."

"You have a guy there that’s a young guy who really doesn’t totally get it yet, what it means to play in this league," O'Brien said. "He has to come out and earn it. He’s better than he was when he came out on the field a couple weeks ago against Atlanta but he’s got a long way to go."

Translation: We probably shouldn't have given up two draft picks to move up to draft Nix. (Someone was telling us this was the case earlier.)

(In the FWIW dept: Nix also thought he played a good game vs Bama. O'Brien's comments come as no surprise.)

Translation: We probably shouldn't have given up two draft picks to move up to draft Nix. (Someone was telling us this was the case earlier.)

(In the FWIW dept: Nix also thought he played a good game vs Bama. O'Brien's comments come as no surprise.)

It sounds to me like while everyone was worrying about Clowney's work ethic this is the guy that everyone should have been concerned about. Hopefully he gets in shape soon and is able to contribute.

It sounds to me like while everyone was worrying about Clowney's work ethic this is the guy that everyone should have been concerned about. Hopefully he gets in shape soon and is able to contribute.

Quite disappointing to see 49ers backup C push Nix around a football field.

I think Nix's problem is the same as Clowneys were he got by in college in just natural ability, and the staff never spent time to develop him Imo

I think Nix's problem is the same as Clowneys were he got by in college in just natural ability, and the staff never spent time to develop him Imo
Clowney's natural ability and Nix's natural ability aren't in the same solar system. Just about every team has a Nix. A Clowney shows up once every decade or so.

Clowney's natural ability and Nix's natural ability aren't in the same solar system. Just about every team has a Nix. A Clowney shows up once every decade or so.

Not comparing their abilities, but what I feel their situations were in college

Sam Montgomery all over again?

I thought Nix lost weight for the combine, then again by the time he reported to camp. He said all the right things... remember, just trying to make the team, not taking it for granted even though he was drafted, blah, blah, blah...

He looked like a man among boys in college, now he's a boy among men & he's having to adjust. Don't get me wrong, I expected him to come in & play like Warren Sapp & Ndamakong Suh from day one... but I'm tempering my expectations.

I don't know what nix's work ethic is, but he has too notch ability. I expect him to get in better shape, get his body better and be a big time player here.

All you guys blasting Nix just need to calm a bit. Texian, OB's comments could just have easily been a motivational tool as coach sometimes do. Let's not be too quick to push a guy just back from surgery, eh? He has actually been in a game just a few plays against Atlanta and finally got more against SF. For his basically first game, thought he did pretty well. He definitely remained on field a LOT, which surprised me as he did not seem to get gassed and even late ran the field after the ball. A Nose is to clog the middle and frequently take up more than one blocker. Gravy is is impacting the QB. I don't recall many plays that ran into his cone. He could have played better but for me I was satisfied big time.

And yet, XSF is playing like ass, and it's Nix's work ethic that keeps him from being a pro? Dude is going to put it together, book it.

He looked like a man among boys in college, now he's a boy among men & he's having to adjust. Don't get me wrong, I expected him to come in & play like Warren Sapp & Ndamakong Suh from day one... but I'm tempering my expectations.

I'm confused, exactly what game in his ND career did Nix EVER look like Sapp or Suh? I am not familiar with any game where Nix dominated the way Sapp and Suh did on multiple occasions. There is a reason Sapp and Suh were HIGH first rd picks and Nix was not. What game was it exactly that said we need to give up 2 draft picks to move up to draft this guy? Nix ND career had more games with 0 tackles than he had games with 1 or more tackles. My eyes must be deceiving me because I have yet to see a game where Nix COMMANDED a double team throughout any game. I think the fans of "Men of Girth" are in a state of shock and denial.

Last edited:
I'm confused, exactly what game in his ND career did Nix EVER look like Sapp or Suh? I am not familiar with any game where Nix dominated the way Sapp and Suh did on multiple occasions. There is a reason Sapp and Suh were HIGH first rd picks and Nix was not. What game was it exactly that said we need to give up 2 draft picks to move up to draft this guy? Nix ND career had more games with 0 tackles than he had games with 1 or more tackles. My eyes must be deceiving me because I have yet to see a game where Nix COMMANDED a double team throughout any game. I think the fans of "Men of Girth" are in a state of shock and denial.

I haven't watched him at all, so I can't really comment - but he was very high rated and a probably first round pick. As a NT it was not because of his stats, but because he was a space eater that demanded double teams and even beat those on occasion. His job wasn't to get sacks, his job was to make the job of everybody else easier.

Well in his last preseason game he couldn't do that. He got pushed around by the center and got hardly any penetration. NTs are hit and miss in the draft and they usually need some time to adjust to going against stronger guys so we'll see how that turns out. But taking him where we did take him was a very well respected move, not just on this forum but also by most analysts...

Not concerned about his ability in the least. Not really concerned about his work ethic either since I don't know. But I am concerned about his injury and his recovery for this season. Doc said his long term outlook is positive so I'll go with that. Might not be this year, but I think nix is going to be a beast on this team.

just for review, here's his ESPN Insider writeup

What he brings:
in.gif

Concerns about his excessive social media involvement and long-term dedication to the game, as well as a knee injury that required season-ending surgery, likely caused Nix's stock to drop. He is an outstanding interior run-stuffer, and while he's never going to be a high-volume sack player, he can push the pocket when he's healthy.

How he fits:
in.gif

Houston continues to bolster its defensive front and gets excellent value by taking Nix here. The Texans did a nice job of signing free-agent nose tackle Jerrell Powe, who is familiar with defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, but ideally he's providing depth, not starting. Nix is capable of supplanting him on the depth chart.
Sounds like a bit of a project to me. But then, aren't most rookies?

We've been lacking a good NT for a long time, hopefully Nix will fix that. With a good NT and the rest of the defensive front, we'll be getting excellent pressure on the QB and stuffing the run. I like it.

just for review, here's his ESPN Insider writeup

Sounds like a bit of a project to me. But then, aren't most rookies?

There's no such thing as a perfect rookie. Clowney basically had the same concerns... lack of desire, injury.

Luck may have been the closest to lack of question marks.

Not concerned about his ability in the least. Not really concerned about his work ethic either since I don't know. But I am concerned about his injury and his recovery for this season. Doc said his long term outlook is positive so I'll go with that. Might not be this year, but I think nix is going to be a beast on this team.

If Nix did undergo the patellar tendon decompression that I believe he likely underwent, 9 weeks was a projected return to play.....but with at least a couple extra months thereafter to get to more optimal physical recovery. This does not account for all of his "lost time," and the "catch up" he has obviously needed to do to get anywhere up to par with learning and practicing the system. This is, of course, taking for granted that the surgery went well and actually corrected the problem it targeted. All-in-all, I do believe that if he is not overwhelmed by an impatient coaching staff, we shall all see the dividends that we were hoping for with his pick come to fruition.

Sam Montgomery all over again?

Not hardly. Sonic Sam's ceiling is a practice squad guy who maybe gets some playing time due to injuries.

Nix III has some motivational issues, which is why he dropped to the 3rd round. He has to decide if he wants to work as hard as it takes to stand out on Sundays, then learn how to do it. He has to get his food right, and step away from the video games. And he has to change his attitudes toward doing the things everybody has to do to make it in the NFL.

Nix III has flashed first round talent. But the kid needs to be developed, something we haven't heard much in association with the Texans. Developed maturity, developed work habits, developed skill sets, developed mentally, developed in taking care of his money-maker -- his body. It's up to the coaches to develop these kids... and to create an environment where veterans assist in that development.

Vast majority of college NTs have a learning curve to succeed in the NFL. (Just look at ProFootballFocus' top NTs in 2013, then go back at look at their rookie year ratings.) There's a reason you don't typically see college NTs come in and dominate the league... especially 3rd rounders and especially 3-4 NTs. Gone are the college days of just imposing your will on the guys across from you.

I'd be more concerned with the #2 or #3 overall pick not starting than the #83 pick who just had knee surgery.

I am one who is not disappointed that Nix is taking the season off. Whatever the extent of his problem, this time off should be sufficient for him to come back this next off season at his physical best. It remains to be seen what level of performance this will be, given his injury and previous weight issues; but I also think the biggest concern is the question mark of what shape he will be in come the OTA's. At N.D. he let himself go after his injury and reported out of shape prior to his final season. It took him half a season before he began to round into shape. We need him to report in shape and ready to be a pro.

Another guy I don't want to hear about until he's back on the field and playing. Whoever bumped this thread should have waited until mini camp. I'm tired of seeing threads about Clowney and Nix for the moment. In time I'll be excited about their potential again. Hopefully.

I am one who is not disappointed that Nix is taking the season off. Whatever the extent of his problem, this time off should be sufficient for him to come back this next off season at his physical best. It remains to be seen what level of performance this will be, given his injury and previous weight issues; but I also think the biggest concern is the question mark of what shape he will be in come the OTA's. At N.D. he let himself go after his injury and reported out of shape prior to his final season. It took him half a season before he began to round into shape. We need him to report in shape and ready to be a pro.
Our focus should be on winning these last three games and finishing 10-6. The playoffs are still a possibility. Beating the Colts on the road tomorrow would be a franchise's first and a monumental step in the right direction as an organization. Talking about players who are on IR is a waste of time right now. Guys who aren't going to help us make that playoff push in these final weeks. These guys are unknowns for all I care. I'll see what they can do in 2015.

Our focus should be on winning these last three games and finishing 10-6. The playoffs are still a possibility. Beating the Colts on the road tomorrow would be a franchise's first and a monumental step in the right direction as an organization. Talking about players who are on IR is a waste of time right now. Guys who aren't going to help us make that playoff push in these final weeks. These guys are unknowns for all I care. I'll see what they can do in 2015.

There's a thread about the playoff chances. This one is about Nix. If you don't want to think about him, no need to come to this thread

Whoever bumped this thread should have waited until mini camp. I'm tired of seeing threads about Clowney and Nix for the moment.
Didn't you bump it? Twice?

I took a lot of crap because I wasn't all giddy about Nix. And, I don't want to say that an injury could ever help a player. But, I don't think it hurts Nix as much as others. I lot of fans liked Nix because of his penetration ability in college. I didn't think that would play out in the NFL, and thought he would be best served as a 2 gapper that tied up blockers. I think there's a better chance that he becomes that now. I guess we'll see next year.

I forgot where we were with this

Didn't you bump it? Twice?

MSR

I took a lot of crap because I wasn't all giddy about Nix. And, I don't want to say that an injury could ever help a player. But, I don't think it hurts Nix as much as others. I lot of fans liked Nix because of his penetration ability in college. I didn't think that would play out in the NFL, and thought he would be best served as a 2 gapper that tied up blockers. I think there's a better chance that he becomes that now. I guess we'll see next year.

I agree with this totally, not only because of the time to totally heal from his injuries, and because he will now he has had the benefit of this entire season and upcoming offseason and preseason to have truly learned the system and what is expected of him............but just as importantly, to shed his college label of apparently showing a less than serious, and, more concerning, lackadaisical approach to his football game............ in other words, this extended period of time he has been given should act as a valuable time for healing, learning, and MATURING.

Another guy I don't want to hear about until he's back on the field and playing. Whoever bumped this thread should have waited until mini camp. I'm tired of seeing threads about Clowney and Nix for the moment. In time I'll be excited about their potential again. Hopefully.
Hey BOP thanks for bumping this thread as Nix should end up being a significant player when healthy. I have posted a lengthy article from a doctor concerning Nix's surgery & him dropping to 3rd was good for us. Fans often get confused on his injuries as to when they occurred. He had healed from his groin surgery but had increased weight prior to senior year to 360 due to inability to work out enough. He dropped to 335 by combine and hopefully will lose 15-20 more. As others say, a year to heal and to mature from Irish Chocolate will be nice as Powe and Pickett doing very well. I hope they bring both back as one can line up at DT and other at NT with rotation by Nix.

I think with Pickett and Powe in the fold, Nix should be learning a lot this year.

Those three guys will make a superb NT rotation next year.

I think with Pickett and Powe in the fold, Nix should be learning a lot this year.

Those three guys will make a superb NT rotation next year.
Yep and all three for about $ 4 million. Plus Schaub, Daniels and Reed come off dead money about $15.5m

Back