Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Thumbs up or down on JaDaveon Clowney at 1.1?

• Up

Votes: 189 88.7%
  • Down

Votes: 24 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
AJ was really productive last season, and he did not say anything about holding out until after the draft. So i doubt the staff was considering needing a replacement for AJ.

AJ told the team before the draft in a team meeting. He did not go public with it until after the draft.

I have yet to see a single QB anywhere **** themselves over a player on the sidelines.

I think Locker might be your man for that this year. Watt coming off the edge on one side and Clowney coming free through the line. Lockers pants go from baby blue to runny brown in .02 seconds.

So with a sports hernia he was referred as the greatest NFL prospect in the last 20 years at the combine and his pro day. How much faster would his forty time had been if he was 100%?

P.S.- that sound you hear is AFC South QBs ****ting themselves collectively

giphy.gif

This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember, Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember, Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

I understand Doc.

I just wanted to see JD beating Manziel in the 40 again.

Why, you knew all this stuff and were in favor of the risk. So you're bagging on them for agreeing with you.

Ummm, no

I didn't know that Clowney had a sports hernia. I did know that he had bone spurs in one of his feet and was alright with them drafting Clowney 1-1 as long as he agreed to have surgery to remove them after he signed his contract.

But you already know this and are just trying to be argumentative.

Last edited:
This should not be surprising. An athlete dealing with a "sports hernia" (athletic pubalgia), despite experiencing its associated pain, may be very little affected running a continuous straight line. Their ability to change of direction movements, backpedaling and opening of hips to change direction, cutting sharply, and twisting intensely would be the activities significantly affected..............if you remember,Clowney did not participate in any Combine maneuvers that would likely affect his performance.

But he did at his pro day with RC and it didn't seem to hinder his performance.

Clowney is on record earlier as saying he was going to return to SC to train between OTAs and camp. I just read on the mothership an interview dated Monday that gave me the impression he was here in town. Anyone know for sure whether he's here, or there???

But he did at his pro day with RC and it didn't seem to hinder his performance.

You're correct. He had 2 months to rehab/rest. Pro Day may have very well set him back, for which he had another length of time for rehab/rest before joining the Texans in their workouts after the Draft.........after which a period of time the Texans saw as something that was not going to let him be without recurrent need for rehab/rest.

I'm fine with things as they went down. It's all done now and we can't change anything. Just get him physically right and get him on the field. Glad they went ahead and addressed it when they did.

Clowney is on record earlier as saying he was going to return to SC to train between OTAs and camp. I just read on the mothership an interview dated Monday that gave me the impression he was here in town. Anyone know for sure whether he's here, or there???

In an interview at the Rookie Symposium (a few days ago, I think), he said he was heading back to Houston as soon as it was over. I've assumed he was back in Houston since then.

I'm fine with Clowney.

If we weren't going to draft a QB at 1.1 I would haver preferred trading down a bit and taking Mike Evans. Dre or No Dre, I thought Evans could have been a beast in this offense playing a hybrid Gronk type role in the passing game.

Would have also picked up some extra picks. Could have possible moved up into the first for TB (if they wanted to) and still picked up our other draft choices minus savage.

But like I said, I'm completely fine with Clowney and with how the draft turned out.

Seth tells it like it is, knows his stuff.

I still think JdC will shine in year 2 moreso than year 1...

But look out when he assimilates better techniques past the point of thinking...
lookout.gif

I agree. I think he's still very raw. I'm not sure what sort of position coaching he was under in SC, but it appears very basic to say the least. I still think he can have a decent year this year if Crennel & co. utilize what he can do now.

I agree. I think he's still very raw. I'm not sure what sort of position coaching he was under in SC, but it appears very basic to say the least. I still think he can have a decent year this year if Crennel & co. utilize what he can do now.

I wanna guess SC had an idea of what Clowney could do/be, but instead of taking the time to help his development, just lined him up and said have at it and do what comes natural

The OL' ball coach, ain't what he use to be. Can still recruit with best of them however. Talent pool each year @ SC deep & rich, last season was actually best finish in awhile but have had top tier players past several years always a hotbed for NFL scouts.

Kevin Clark ‏@KevinClarkWSJ
Clowney will get to Houston tomorrow (from NY) and said he doesn't know if he'll be full-speed for camp “We’ll see, it’s up to the trainers”

Full video and blog on Clowney coming in a few hours. Comments on Spurrier, his health and the Texans' staff.

Just spoke with Jadeveon Clowney. He never considered sitting out the season. Although he joked he should have (repeat: he was joking).

Video(upcoming): Jadeveon Clowney Talks Spurrier, Health, Houston

Clowney is hoping not to sit out the first part of his training camp. He had sports hernia surgery this offseason and said he doesn’t know if he will be full speed when he reports to camp. And even if he’s full-speed physically, it may take a while for the dominant, lightning-fast Clowney of his college days to return.

He has to learn the playbook first. He said the multiple plays which require players to “flip” sides of the field have been confusing. He’s learned, quickly, he said, that the NFL is not a major athletic step up in competition–it’s an intellectual one. “A lot of guys, it’s not as much athletic as it is they are just a lot smarter.”

He has to learn the playbook first. He said the multiple plays which require players to “flip” sides of the field have been confusing. He’s learned, quickly, he said, that the NFL is not a major athletic step up in competition–it’s an intellectual one. “A lot of guys, it’s not as much athletic as it is they are just a lot smarter.”

Clowney certainly showing important incite to the transition to the NFL.

Clowney is hoping not to sit out the first part of his training camp. He had sports hernia surgery this offseason and said he doesn’t know if he will be full speed when he reports to camp. And even if he’s full-speed physically, it may take a while for the dominant, lightning-fast Clowney of his college days to return.

Although players are typically expected to be able to return to play by anywhere from 4-8 weeks following surgery, it will inevitably take them 3-6 months to return to pre-injury performance level.

Although players are typically expected to be able to return to play by anywhere from 4-8 weeks following surgery, it will inevitably take them 3-6 months to return to pre-injury performance level.

Safer or better in long-run to hold him out longer?

Last edited:
Clowney certainly showing important incite to the transition to the NFL.

When did he have the surgery?

The bone spurs in his foot still concern me. Valid concern?

What a joke! Clowney's goal for the 2014 season is to sack Andrew Luck one time. I was hoping that he might set his goals a little higher than that. Like I want to get a sack or two in every game I play in. I'm already getting a bad feeling about this pick. Is he even going to be able to play in the season opener? Who knows..........

Madden Rating:

Madden_15_NFL_EA_Sports_Ratings_Jadeveon_Clowney.jpg

Thought I read it went up when he is lined up at DE.

*edit*
Madden 15' Rookie Ratings;LINK

DM: Yes it will, he will increase to a 92 Overall if you move him to DE (his natural position). That is NOT intentional though, if/when the Texans move him to the DE position, expect some rating adjustments to reflect his new position (which would more than likely lower him from 92). Things like Zone Coverage are factored in at OLB for OVR rating, so that is why there are two different grades.

Safer or better in long-run to hold him out longer?

As far as his sports hernia surgery, if everything has gone well, I would feel comfortable putting him out there at 6 weeks.

When did he have the surgery?

The bone spurs in his foot still concern me. Valid concern?

His hernia surgery was on June 12.

As far as the bone spurs. I've made my point repeatedly.......I think it has been a poor call to ignore addressing this long-standing problem, as concerns regarding compromised mechanics and potential for future injuries

As far as his sports hernia surgery, if everything has gone well, I would feel comfortable putting him out there at 6 weeks.

His hernia surgery was on June 12.

As far as the bone spurs. I've made my point repeatedly.......I think it has been a poor call to ignore addressing this long-standing problem, as concerns regarding compromised mechanics and potential for future injuries

IMO I have thought that Texans front office often lives by the band aid approach.

Hopefully JD gets cleared by doctors for full go soon...
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://i58.tinypic.com/10ngoed.jpg[/IMG]

Happy to see Clowney's play but, concern about OL. Like, yeahhhhh! Oh! Wait a minute!
Practicing against JJ and JD will only make them better and will really highlight their strengths and weaknesses. That will help the coaching staff address their weaknesses and play to their strengths. I hope.
:koolaid:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ns-Day-3/36f0dc50-8caa-44f1-974f-0ab07a340501

9.. It was the first opportunity for the Houston public to see Jadeveon Clowney up close. He didn't disappoint. On his first rep during 9-on-7, he drove TE Ryan Griffin back into the ball closing down an open hole. On the second, he ran down the RB from behind. On the third, he was so fast off the ball that he nearly created another 2013 Outback Bowl moment, although he pulled off on the hit on RB
Dennis Johnson (luckily) at the last minute. The burst off the ball is what we've all wanted to see and we didn't have to wait long to see it.

Damn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back