Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Thumbs up or down on JaDaveon Clowney at 1.1?

• Up

Votes: 189 88.7%
  • Down

Votes: 24 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same way their own fan bases react if Bortles, Bridgewater and (when) Manziel becomes a bust.

you only need one of those qbs to be great and clowney to be average or below and this draft will end up as a failure unless the other picks we got end up being pro bowlers left and right.

actually the right thing to do was to pick a quarterback with the highest grade considering its the most important position in the nfl and the fact that we had atrocious quarterback play our entire history as a franchise.

not to wait until the 4th round and end up picking a quarterback who despite being in his athletic prime years, is already balding.

Bob couldn't face the possibility of drafting another David Carr. Unfortunately you can't win, when you play scared. which leads to the first part of my signature ....

deal is we had too many holes to fill for just one draft.. if we drafted a QB and he busts.. it sets this franchise back again for many years. I have no problem with OB going with the "Uglies" right now.. good "uglies" can make a decent QB look great.. if Clowney can take the pressure off of Watt. it is a win-win. yes defense is boring but it does win games.

:swatter:

actually the right thing to do was to pick a quarterback with the highest grade considering its the most important position in the nfl and the fact that we had atrocious quarterback play our entire history as a franchise.

not to wait until the 4th round and end up picking a quarterback who despite being in his athletic prime years, is already balding.

Not really that gets you Russell , Carr , Gabbert and Locker . If you were going to wash your car and asked your dad for some quarters and he said I only have three quarters but I'll give you three dollars are you taking the quarters because you need quarters ? You would but most wouldn't .

Not really that gets you Russell , Carr , Gabbert and Locker . If you were going to wash your car and asked your dad for some quarters and he said I only have three quarters but I'll give you three dollars are you taking the quarters because you need quarters ? You would but most wouldn't .

lol wut?

did manziel, bortles, bridgewater become busts already?

i love how players who have yet to play a single down is a bust in order to rationalize certain agendas.

like i said before, you only need one of those qbs to become good to great and for clowney to become average or below for it to be a failed pick.

what do you think has a higher chance of happening?

one of those early round qbs being good to great and clowney not living up to his #1 pick status or all first round qbs being total busts and clowney becoming a productive star?

lets boomerang this back.. did clowney become a bust yet?

which of the 3 QB's are you thinking would be worthy of the #1 pick?(I really haven't followed any of your posts if you have mentioned it already)

lol wut?

i love how players who have yet to play a single down is a bust in order to rationalize certain agendas.

like i said before, you only need one of those qbs to become good to great and for clowney to become average or below for it to be a failed pick.

one of those early round qbs being good to great and clowney not living up to his #1 pick status or all first round qbs being total busts and clowney becoming a productive star?

I don't believe the Texans were offered a 3 for 1 pick to insure they hit on a QB therefore the smart pick was the best prospect . Your theory will be played out with Bortles because the Jags passed on better players to get their QB again .

how will this fanbase react if bortles, manziel, and bridgewater actually become good to great quarterbacks and clowney becomes a bust?

:toropalm:

You are talking about one draft pick. I could care less if the Texans 1st pick of the draft doesn't work out but they hit home runs on two mid round selections. Instead of obsessing over a single player, I would suggest watching how this roster comes together and judge draft and free agent decisions collectively. Regardless of Clowney's production (or lack of), regardless of how good/bad Bortles looks, the Texan organization should be heavily criticized if they have not solved their future at the QB position by 2015.

In other words, Bortles, Manziel, and Teddy could all be busts, Clowney could have 25 sacks in his first two seasons, but the Texans would deserve criticism if, by the end of 2015, they still don't have an answer at QB.

Similarly, I could care less if Bortles becomes an all-pro and Clowney flames out, if the Texans successfully build a strong roster and have found a good QB, then they should be congratulated for it.

Who cares the right thing to do was taking Clowney .

Time will tell. You can't know that anymore than Lord Bills knows that Bortles should have been the pick. Regardless, all organizations miss on some big decisions. I won't spend too much time obsessing over a single pick if they are building a great team with the rest of the draft.

lol wut?

Seeing that I never saw any reason to believe any of the other 3 would translate to the NFL as anything but mediocre or bust, long-term I will put my money on Clowney coming out on top of this group pending his pre-existing injuries (sports hernia/bone spurs[any hip mechanics/damage if present and not able to be corrected with bone spur surgery]) are properly surgically addressed and given unhurried time for rehab.

Seeing that I never saw any reason to believe any of the other 3 would translate to the NFL as anything but mediocre or bust, long-term I will put my money on Clowney coming out on top of this group pending his pre-existing injuries (sports hernia/bone spurs[any hip mechanics/damage if present and not able to be corrected with bone spur surgery]) are properly surgically addressed and given unhurried time for rehab.

ok.

thread subscribed.

there are gonna be some threads coming back to life real soon i reckon.

the man has yet to play a single down in the nfl and he's already having surgery.

smdh.

come on man.

ok.

thread subscribed.

there are gonna be some threads coming back to life real soon i reckon.

the man has yet to play a single down in the nfl and he's already having surgery.

smdh.

come on man.

Better be careful, all that head shaking looks to be rattling some loose and falling out.

Last edited:
Those 3 QB's may not develop into star players, but what about Greg Robinson? As bad as the Texans needed a right tackle, selecting Clown will turn out to be the greatest faux pas in NFL history.

Those 3 QB's may not develop into star players, but what about Greg Robinson? As bad as the Texans needed a right tackle, selecting Clown will turn out to be the greatest faux pas in NFL history.

Robinson is struggling at LG so he's a bust .

He's not just struggling.........it's MUCH MUCH WORSE.........he's downright STUGGLING!

Greg Robinson stuggles with NFL transition

Posted by Mike Florio on June 22, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

When the Rams made Greg Robinson the second overall pick in the draft, it was assumed he’d play left tackle. Only days later, G.M. Les Snead explained that Robinson may play guard.

Since then, it’s become more clear that Robinson will indeed play guard as a rookie. It’s also becoming clear that he’s having a hard time with the transition.

“It’s frustrating that I’m not up to pace right now because the playbook is more intense and things are changing but once I get back to where I’m comfortable, things will calm down and I can be myself out there,” Robinson said recently, via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. “I didn’t know what to expect, honestly. I put a lot of pressure on myself because I like to challenge myself. It’s something I want to do and just stand out to the coaches and let them be comfortable with their choice.”

While tackle is regarded as the more difficult position, Robinson is learning that guard has its own challenges.

“It’s just everything happens faster inside,” Robinson said. “Outside you have a little more time to kick. The guys are faster but these guys are just quick and trained to rush the passer. It’s just about keeping my feet working and knowing when to pull. Right now it’s a lot of thinking going on, it causes me to move a little slower. Once I get up to speed, I can move with the snap count and stuff like that.”

Robinson’s struggles aren’t a complete surprise to league insiders who had their doubts about Robinson’s ability to be dominant at the next level. Robinson’s reference to the intensity of the playbook won’t surprise skeptics, either, given that Robinson dealt with a limited range of plays and protections at Auburn. It makes the Rams’ risk even bigger, especially since they’ve moved Robinson to a position that typically doesn’t demand a top-five draft pedigree.

C'mon, GRob will be fine. Just needs to be coached up & a little time.

You're not going to write him off ?

This cat has control of the huddle and I'm envious .

Screen-Shot-2014-05-27-at-11.55.18-AM.png

He's not just struggling.........it's MUCH MUCH WORSE.........he's downright STUGGLING!
I don't care what others might say about this, there's something wrong with the Rams decision to draft Robinson if they use the #2 overall pick in this Draft to play inside at guard. If it's because he's unable to play tackle or they intended all along to play him inside, they've made a big mistake IMO.

Robinson will be in the league a dozen years and half of them will be in the Pro Bowl. The 2nd coming of Rams Orlando Pace.

I don't care what others might say about this, there's something wrong with the Rams decision to draft Robinson if they use the #2 overall pick in this Draft to play inside at guard. If it's because he's unable to play tackle or they intended all along to play him inside, they've made a big mistake IMO.

I agree.

Unless he turns into a monster.

I wouldn't have liked that pick though.

Robinson will be in the league a dozen years and half of them will be in the Pro Bowl. The 2nd coming of Rams Orlando Pace.

One in ten "players of a generation" come close to their hype. Perhaps he will or perhaps he doesn't. No one knows for sure. But len Bias was supposed to be a great talent and died tragically as some number of athletes do each year because they have not matured before being influenced by idiots who encourage them to indulge in self destructive behavior.

So there is no way of knowing that someone will or will not even be playing in a year, much less a career.

C'mon, GRob will be fine. Just needs to be coached up & a little time.

He may not end up being great (of course, it wouldn't surprise me if he did), but this is way too early to be worried about him not becoming a perennial solid player. Starting him off at guard gives him a chance to get his feet wet and get used to the speed of the NFL game.

And remember, HE is the one being critical of himself. You aren't hearing criticism from the coaching staff. He's already been told that he will also get some reps in TC at OT. At this point in time, the Rams may feel that putting him at LG this year serves as good transition and meanwhile allows them to field all of their best players together at the same time.

Means instead of drafting #1 OG Texans wound up with #2 OG prospect 4 heck of a lot less money, so hopefully, Rick can extend Watt to charge NRG.

I wonder if the Texans knew that AJ was going to pull this stunt that if they'd have considered Watkins at #1.

AJ voiced his displeasure before the draft. The Texans knew! What is becoming clear is the executive floor at Reliant is absent of clear and logical thinking.

AJ voiced his displeasure before the draft. The Texans knew! What is becoming clear is the executive floor at Reliant is absent of clear and logical thinking.
^They dang sure must be, if AJ said that and they chose to ignore it. AJ doesn't run his mouth very much, and like most people who don't run their mouths very much, he means what he says.

^They dang sure must be, if AJ said that and they chose to ignore it. AJ doesn't run his mouth very much, and like most people who don't run their mouths very much, he means what he says.
Their strategy apparently includes a decision to ignore Andre Johnson which I totally concur with because he's a part of the past not the future of this franchise and besides OB has the luxury of what amounts to a mulligan for the 2014 season.

I wonder if the Texans knew that AJ was going to pull this stunt that if they'd have considered Watkins at #1.

Yeah lets be just like the national media and just say after Dre the Texans WR corp is a giant, lack of any skills black hole. Never mind we used a first round pick last season on a WR who had better stats than Watkins and played on the same college team......

Robinson is struggling at LG so he's a bust .
Now, now... we should have learned from the Duane Brown or Kareem Jackson experiences that you really don't know if a draft pick will pay off for two or three years.

and here you guys are declaring "busts" before training camp hitting starts...

Srsly?

or they had Clowney ranked higher and why didn't they draft one later ?

as much as you hang on every word of each of my posts, I am surprised you missed where I said they should've drafted Donte Moncrief in RD 3. You usually do a much better of keeping up but it's Monday so you're forgiven.

Now, now... we should have learned from the Duane Brown or Kareem Jackson experiences that you really don't know if a draft pick will pay off for two or three years.

and here you guys are declaring "busts" before training camp hitting starts...

Srsly?

msr

Rams putting him at LG to get him on the field. He's not replacing Jake Long as a rookie.

as much as you hang on every word of each of my posts, I am surprised you missed where I said they should've drafted Donte Moncrief in RD 3. You usually do a much better of keeping up but it's Monday so you're forgiven.

No , why didn't the Texans draft one in the later rounds if the need was so dire ?

Just because you have Andre doesn't mean you have to look to replace him with another top flight WR.

Teams are built differently.

Also, you only have so many draft picks. You can't fill every hole. No team ever does. What you do is assemble the best roster possible and whatever weaknesses you have you coach around them or hope that they aren't so weak that it costs you.

Just because you have Andre doesn't mean you have to look to replace him with another top flight WR.

Teams are built differently.

Also, you only have so many draft picks. You can't fill every hole. No team ever does. What you do is assemble the best roster possible and whatever weaknesses you have you coach around them or hope that they aren't so weak that it costs you.

I see you looking for an argument for the sake of having an arument but I'm not going to bite. Let me just say that a team without playmakers is not much of a team. Imagine if you will the Texans the last decade without their own true playmaker, Andre Johnson and I'm just going to leave it at that.

I see you looking for an argument for the sake of having an arument but I'm not going to bite. Let me just say that a team without playmakers is not much of a team. Imagine if you will the Texans the last decade without their own true playmaker, Andre Johnson and I'm just going to leave it at that.

McFly, how many games did AJ play in 2011 and how did the Texans do that year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back