Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 1.1: JaDeveon Clowney DE-OLB

Thumbs up or down on JaDaveon Clowney at 1.1?

• Up

Votes: 189 88.7%
  • Down

Votes: 24 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Wade was not even initially consulted about signing Ed Reed. Wade became aware after the fact. uuummm mali mali uummmm. :)

Being weanies was a reflection on Wade as well so why would Bob consult him? He wanted to be tougher and smarter and Reed smartly showed him how to millions with ease .:pinned:

Being weanies was a reflection on Wade as well so why would Bob consult him? He wanted to be tougher and smarter and Reed smartly showed him how to millions with ease .:pinned:

I think most would say Ed Reed contributed very little or nothing at all, unless of course you bow to Kirby 3 times a day. Then of course Bob can do no wrong and Ed Reed was a brilliant move. uummmm mali mali uuummmm. :)

I think most would say Ed Reed contributed very little or nothing at all, unless of course you bow to Kirby 3 times a day. Then of course Bob can do no wrong and Ed Reed was a brilliant move. uummmm mali mali uuummmm. :)

Ed taught Bob and Rick and important lesson in business . Honey honey boo boo .

Ed taught Bob and Rick and important lesson in business. Honey honey boo boo .

No one will ever convince me that that the Ed Reed fleecing wasn't a McNair call from jumpstreet because of what he said at the time. All Rick did was call the hangar tell 'em to gas up the ol' biplane and give them a destination to pick Reed up.

This whole fiasco just flies in the face of what McNair's off season speech of a few years ago when he said they'd NEVER "sign another aging vet at the end of his career that was just looking for one last payday" ( That quote may not be verbatim, if not it's really close). IIRC he specifically named Ahmad Green and *Ron Dayne*(*I think), then turned around and did exactly that.

Personally I can't believe we didn't receive way more negative or humiliating media response than we did. I was a Ben Tate kinda fan at the time. You know, wishy-washy. Cudos to those that called it what it was and what it turned out to be: A fleecing by a washed up, broken down, crippled crook. And McNair seemingly skated through it unscathed in the media.

I have nothing but my gut feelings here but my guess is Bill O'Brien won't be afraid to call a spade a spade and make his opposition know with no room for misunderstanding. Just my :twocents:...

No one will ever convince me that that the Ed Reed fleecing wasn't a McNair call from jumpstreet because of what he said at the time. All Rick did was call the hangar tell 'em to gas up the ol' biplane and give them a destination to pick Reed up.

This whole fiasco just flies in the face of what McNair's off season speech of a few years ago when he said they'd NEVER "sign another aging vet at the end of his career that was just looking for one last payday" ( That quote may not be verbatim, if not it's really close). IIRC he specifically named Ahmad Green and *Ron Dayne*(*I think), then turned around and did exactly that.

Personally I can't believe we didn't receive way more negative or humiliating media response than we did. I was a Ben Tate kinda fan at the time. You know, wishy-washy. Cudos to those that called it what it was and what it turned out to be: A fleecing by a washed up, broken down, crippled crook. And McNair seemingly skated through it unscathed in the media.

I have nothing but my gut feelings here but my guess is Bill O'Brien won't be afraid to call a spade a spade and make his opposition know with no room for misunderstanding. Just my :twocents:...

In support of your comments to which I agree:

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

The fact that Wade Phillips wasn't consulted with before they signed Ed Reed still freaks me the hell out.

https://twitter.com/PayneNFL/status/412351635835604992

and to add to the discussion:

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.

9:37 AM - 19 Jan 2014

https://twitter.com/PayneNFL/status/424928679794196480

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

The fact that Wade Phillips wasn't consulted with before they signed Ed Reed still freaks me the hell out.

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Since '93 Romeo Crennel has been HC, DC, or DL coach for 19 squads. Not a single DE has had double digit sacks.

JJ Watt is unlike any DE he has coached or i have ever seen in the NFL, he will get his. To many weapons on the Dline for them to double/triple team him now so i expect 15+ sacks from him this season

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Well JJ will change that and Clowney will be an OLB and will get double good double good Double Mint sacks!

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Seymour got close twice with 8.... That being said, he ain't no JJ

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL

I'm ok with Watt ending up at 9 sacks if that enables Clowney and Mercilus to combine for 30.

If Crennel isn't an idiot he will figure out how to get Watt rolling. Clowney, Mercilus, and Cushing will be bonuses. I can't wait to see this defense.

Watt has already shown that he doesn't need sacks to be a dominating player on defense.

(He graded out better last year with only 10.5 sacks than he did in 2012 where he had 20.5)

Last edited:
Watt has already showed that he doesn't need sacks to be a dominating player on defense.

(He graded out better last year with only 10.5 sacks than he did in 2012 where he had 20.5)

I'm more in-line with this type of thinking. I could care less if any of the guys get double digit sacks or not. I want to win, & if that means the QB is tossing ducks for our secondary to pick off, before one of the DLmen get their paws on him, so be it.

Crennel may have not coached many double digit sack artists, but he's coached a few Super Bowl defenses. I'd take the latter any day of the week, twice on Sunday & whatever day they play the Super Bowl.

I don`t really know too much about the collective bargaining agreement - so I am not sure how much wiggle room there is for the signings. I though everything was pretty much set. Am I wrong? Because if that`s the case, why does it even take some of these athletes this long to sign? If it`s not like that, did we get a team friendly or a player friendly deal?

I don`t really know too much about the collective bargaining agreement - so I am not sure how much wiggle room there is for the signings. I though everything was pretty much set. Am I wrong? Because if that`s the case, why does it even take some of these athletes this long to sign? If it`s not like that, did we get a team friendly or a player friendly deal?
It might be due to things in contract besides upfront bonus and salary like roster bonus but you have a good point. I think the first round amount is set but others are up for negotiation. Who signs first leaves less of the pie for others.

I'd take Romeo Crennels' 5 Super Bowl rings every day of the week over anyone's individual statistics.

And I have no doubt that JJ Watt agrees with this mentality.

I thought the same thing. He's also signed with Wilson, Gillette, and New Era. That's insane if true. Get it, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCA7DpdPIV4

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/05/14/596440/clowney-in-line-for-big-payday.html

Forbes says it's so....

LINK

And so does ESPN. Apparently there were several deals inked right after the draft.
Clowney joins Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman and Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles as other Puma endorsers in the league. Last summer, the brand dropped former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, less than three months after signing him, on the day he was charged with murder.
Clowney is Puma's only signee for this year's draft class.

Teams wll still turn protection and or double jj until someone proves they can beat single blocks consistently. Great thing about RAC is that all the lbs are ex de's from college.That means all will rush the passer. In ne,Vrabel rushed the passer and had as many sacks as anyone on that team.

Teams wll still turn protection and or double jj until someone proves they can beat single blocks consistently. Great thing about RAC is that all the lbs are ex de's from college.That means all will rush the passer. In ne,Vrabel rushed the passer and had as many sacks as anyone on that team.

Even though Jj Watt was getting doubled on almost every play, Antonio Smith was getting doubled just as often. Our problem is that we need someone other than Jj Watt that can beat a double team.

Whether teams use 5 men, 6 men, or 7 men to block our pass rush, they'll still be able to run their offense, move the chains & score... unless our secondary really steps it up.

Jj's going to get doubled, & so will the next guy who is able to beat man coverage.

Hopefully Powe/Nix can help out & demand a double as well as Jadeveon/Mercilus.

Yep.

Hard for an offense to double two guys and be successful.

Watt will be doubled and that will leave everyone else single blocked most plays.

Puma is going to give Clowney roughly 190 million... Good night..

Not true.

Poster above says ESPN and Forbes confirms it and you say not true? Based on what?

I checked half a dozen different links about the endorsement deals Clowney signed; they all say some version of the same thing:

"It’s a multi-year deal. We do not share specific details of our endorsement agreements." <--- that refered to the Wilson deal.

on the Puma deal ---> The projected No. 1 overall pick for Thursday's NFL draft, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, has signed an endorsement deal with Puma. Terms were not disclosed.
It is in the best interest of these companies to keep their mouths shut about what guy signed for how much. And I'll bet it's written into the endorsement contracts that the athletes also have to keep their mouths shut about the details.

Only blockbuster/news-making deals get disclosed - like when Tiger Woods signed with Nike for an unheard of (at the time) $40 Mil when he graduated from Stanford.

Poster above says ESPN and Forbes confirms it and you say not true? Based on what?
Didn't make sense. Nike is a $68 billion dollar company, PUMA is ~$3 billion.

The biggest & best typically sign 10 year deals. For Nike Jordan is #1, Tiger is #2 @$20 per year.

Roger Federer, Lebron James, Derek Jeter, Rory Mcilroy, Rafael Nadal are all around $10 million per year. Note they play "world" sports. No American footballers are in Nike's top 10.

Peyton Manning is reported to have the highest NFL total combined annual endorsement deals at $12 million.

So a company <5% the size of Nike -- whose last quarter earnings dropped 30% -- is going to ink an unproven non-QB to a 10 year, $19 million per year deal? In a country specific sport where JD cannot even display their logo during games?

I asked Darren Rovell -- ESPN Sports Business Reporter & ABC News Business Correspondent -- and he laughed at that number, saying it would be closer to $190,000.

"In the meantime, Clowney is not hurting for dollars. He already has signed four endorsement deals, including one with Puma that Brandt said is worth around $190 million. Clowney also has deals with Wilson, Gillette and New Era, according to ESPN.com."

Looks like Brandt is the only one saying that.
Yes, but I can't find a direct quote of Brandt and he has yet to respond to inquiries. I imagine it was pulled from XM/Sirius radio show where he likely misspoke the number that, when reported, are typically higher than reality.

If Clowney signed a $190 million deal it would have been lead story on ESPN, just as Rory's "$250 million" Nike deal -- that ended up not being correct -- was when it dropped.

Didn't make sense. Nike is a $68 billion dollar company, PUMA is ~$3 billion.

The biggest & best typically sign 10 year deals. For Nike Jordan is #1, Tiger is #2 @$20 per year.

Roger Federer, Lebron James, Derek Jeter, Rory Mcilroy, Rafael Nadal are all around $10 million per year. Note they play "world" sports. No American footballers are in Nike's top 10.

Peyton Manning is reported to have the highest NFL total combined annual endorsement deals at $12 million.

So a company <5% the size of Nike -- whose last quarter earnings dropped 30% -- is going to ink an unproven non-QB to a 10 year, $19 million per year deal? In a country specific sport where JD cannot even display their logo during games?

I asked Darren Rovell -- ESPN Sports Business Reporter & ABC News Business Correspondent -- and he laughed at that number, saying it would be closer to $190,000.

Yes, but I can't find a direct quote of Brandt and he has yet to respond to inquiries. I imagine it was pulled from XM/Sirius radio show where he likely misspoke the number that, when reported, are typically higher than reality.

If Clowney signed a $190 million deal it would have been lead story on ESPN, just as Rory's "$250 million" Nike deal -- that ended up not being correct -- was when it dropped.

The reason this doesn't make sense is Tiger got $100 million from Nike.

The reason this doesn't make sense is Tiger got $100 million from Nike.
Tiger's first deal - right out of Stanford - was only for $40 mil...
(heh! "only" he sez).
The $100 mil was for the 5-yr extension he signed in 2000.

Analysis: Clowney is far and away the top prospect in this year's draft and one of the best defensive players in the process since Bruce Smith in 1985. He's a lineman who is dominant in all facets with the ability to play in a variety of schemes at the next level. Clowney comes with enormous upside but must learn to do the little things well and prepare himself off the field to reach his incredible potential on the field. Hands down the top player in the 2014 NFL Draft.

The rest is here.

I'd be really pleased to see this guy do everything everyone say's he can do. The whole time I was reading that I was :thinking:...JDC is on the same line as that #99 guy.

If Clowney starts as well as JJ did and progresses as well in yrs. 2 & 3 will he be as good? If his bone spurs poof into the night (after his groin surgery(s?) heal(s) for sure :D) do you think Clowney can or will meet or exceed what JJ's accomplished?

Just axin.

...do you think Clowney can or will meet or exceed what JJ's accomplished?

Just axin.

Nope. At his current trajectory, I expect Watt to be in the GOAT conversation.

I expect Clowney's rookie year to mirror Watt's -- slow early until he can stop thinking and just play.

The rest is here.

I'd be really pleased to see this guy do everything everyone say's he can do. The whole time I was reading that I was :thinking:...JDC is on the same line as that #99 guy.

If Clowney starts as well as JJ did and progresses as well in yrs. 2 & 3 will he be as good? If his bone spurs poof into the night (after his groin surgery(s?) heal(s) for sure :D) do you think Clowney can or will meet or exceed what JJ's accomplished?

Just axin.

Jj really came into his own at the end of his rookie season. I remember saying that 2012 wasn't going to be good for us, they let Mario go & I didn't see Brooks (who also played well down that stretch) & JJ continuing to play at that level... I mean we already struck gold on Mario, Demeco, & Cushing, (& Connor was looking good at that point as well) what were the odds?

Little did I know.

Texans’ Clowney declines to say whether he’ll be ready for training camp

Posted on June 19, 2014 | By Brian T. Smith

Rookie Jadeveon Clowney remains on track, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said Thursday, despite the No. 1 overall pick missing a three-day mandatory minicamp due to sports hernia surgery.

After Clowney underwent surgery last week, O’Brien said the first-year linebacker would be healthy for training camp, which begins in late July.

Clowney said he’s making progress during his rehab. But the former South Carolina star wouldn’t definitively say whether he’ll be ready for the start of training camp. He also vaguely addressed the origin of his injury, which he said did not occur before the May draft. Clowney said the Texans instructed him to quickly deal with the issue rather than let the injury linger.

“When I got here, one of the issues was, when I got here,” Clowney said. “I just wanted to get it taken care of.”

So you say but it will all come out in the wash .

My prediction is 9 sacks and 2 defensive TDs scored by JD . One of a Bortles fumble .

My prediction is WRONG BRUCE, will be more like Aundray BRUCE than BRUCE Smith. Bortles made JC miss 3 times in last year's game. A step up or side step and JC is out of the play. JC doesn't change direction well and his only 1 great attribute is his straight line speed. As a result, will also likely be a liability in the run game. With 16 games instead of 12 my prediction is 1 more than 3.

My prediction is WRONG BRUCE, will be more like Aundray BRUCE than BRUCE Smith. Bortles made JC miss 3 times in last year's game. A step up or side step and JC is out of the play. JC doesn't change direction well and his only 1 great attribute is his straight line speed. As a result, will also likely be a liability in the run game. With 16 games instead of 12 my prediction is 1 more than 3.

Ok dude, you've made your point in various threads about your opinion on JDC being a bust. He is a Texan now and the nfl is different from college ball. How about letting his nfl career play out first before calling him a bust.

Ok dude, you've made your point in various threads about your opinion on JDC being a bust. He is a Texan now and the nfl is different from college ball. How letting his bfl career play out first before calling him a bust.

Wait for him to tell us that he "knew" all along that JD would be great.

Ok dude, you've made your point in various threads about your opinion on JDC being a bust. He is a Texan now and the nfl is different from college ball. How about letting his nfl career play out first before calling him a bust.
Thany You !
Texians has a one-tract mind, he seems to still be in full pre-draft mode, would someone please explain to him that the 2014 NFL Draft has concluded and we've made our picks and all have been signed.
Maybe JD will be a bust, but lets wait and see, he's now our guy and at the very least we should wait for the season to begin before we pass judgment.

clowney doesnt seem like he has fast twitch muscle fibers.

similar to mario williams.

athletic stiffs. kinda like oscar de la hoya and dwight howard.

everybody is almost always fast and strong in the nfl. what separates a regular football player from a allstar or all pro is fast twitch muscle fibers.

Once again we will see and you can say it all you want but it's going to be a long fall for you .

Has there ever been a defensive and offensive rookie of the year from the same team ?

clowney doesnt seem like he has fast twitch muscle fibers.

similar to mario williams.

athletic stiffs. kinda like oscar de la hoya and dwight howard.

everybody is almost always fast and strong in the nfl. what separates a regular football player from a allstar or all pro is fast twitch muscle fibers.

Uh ok.

You have seen this guy run, right?

Seen that first step?

Fast twitch slow twitch the dude is big and quick and fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back