Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Save us Savage!!!!!!!

steelbtexan, I still think the Texans made the right choice focusing on their quarterback situation (trading a 2nd rounder and Osweiler, trading a future 1st and swapping a 1st for Deshaun).

Offensive line wasn't our #1 priority last off-season. Rick Smith didn't even know that Duane Brown was going to go all EMO on us. And to be fair Deshaun Watson was breaking rookie records and performing at a superstar, MVP caliber level, prior to his season-ending injury.

An Injury he suffered in practice on a non-contact drill (fluke injury). But he proved he could play just fine with our inconsistent offensive line. So while I appreciate those people who keep saying we need to improve our O-Line, please realize we're a 4-6 team (should be 6-4 if not for O'Brien calling dumb plays late in the Patirots and Seahawks games). But all we really need is a healthy Watson, Watt and Mercilus, along with O'Brien getting his head out of his ass, and we're likely an AFC Championship Game, perhaps Super Bowl caliber team.

Sure, I hope we can upgrade our offensive line this off-season but compared to keeping our best players healthy and Bill O'Brian coaching better (which he stresses "I've got to coach better" in every post-game presser), the O-Line isn't really as important as those other things.

Just give me a healthy Watson, Watt and Mercilus and I can show you a team capable of beating the Patriots or Steelers in the playoffs. Aka the two best teams in the AFC right now.

Both OL's sucked last offseason and Bradford only played in 1 game before being replaced by Keenum. Watson started 7 games before he went out and was replaced by Savage. Very comparable.

The difference is the Vikings signed 2 OT's in FA and drafted their C. What did the Texans do in FA/Draft to fix their OL?

Interesting thing about free agency. You only have a limited amount of money and Romo was in the 10 mil range which was most of our cap. QB was a bigger issue than OL. That’s where the priority was placed especially when it looked like our D could handle Brady and NE and all we needed was a QB who could manage the game and score in playoffs.

McNairs order was get a QB. Osweiller didn’t work. Romo didn’t work. So Rick then traded for DW. No one knows if we would have traded for DW if we got Romo. Or if we would have targeted the OL in the draft.

Either way - just as long as DW stays healthy - everything worked out for us for the better. We have DW who - if he stays healthy - is going to a bigger star in this league than most QBs because of his talent.

Soooooo...

On one side, you slam the Texans for not participating in FA.

But if they were able to sign Romo in FA, you would have slammed them for signing an injury prone guy?

Got it!

I don’t get it either. He is moving his argument from “not participating” to “not participating the way I like.”

It sounds like it’s just good ol fashioned bitching to *****.

Every thread turns into: OB sucks. Rick Smith sucks. McNair sucks. Nothing will ever change. Suck. Suck. Suck.

Why follow the Texans then?

...An Injury he suffered in practice on a non-contact drill (fluke injury)....Just give me a healthy Watson
...Either way - just as long as DW stays healthy....
That's just it. Going into the season, several of us had concerns about Watson staying healthy. Those concerns will still be there when he returns, magnified. We need an OL our backup can effectively play behind.

steelbtexan, I still think the Texans made the right choice focusing on their quarterback situation (trading a 2nd rounder and Osweiler, trading a future 1st and swapping a 1st for Deshaun).

Offensive line wasn't our #1 priority last off-season. Rick Smith didn't even know that Duane Brown was going to go all EMO on us. And to be fair Deshaun Watson was breaking rookie records and performing at a superstar, MVP caliber level, prior to his season-ending injury.

An Injury he suffered in practice on a non-contact drill (fluke injury). But he proved he could play just fine with our inconsistent offensive line. So while I appreciate those people who keep saying we need to improve our O-Line, please realize we're a 4-6 team (should be 6-4 if not for O'Brien calling dumb plays late in the Patirots and Seahawks games). But all we really need is a healthy Watson, Watt and Mercilus, along with O'Brien getting his head out of his ass, and we're likely an AFC Championship Game, perhaps Super Bowl caliber team.

Sure, I hope we can upgrade our offensive line this off-season but compared to keeping our best players healthy and Bill O'Brian coaching better (which he stresses "I've got to coach better" in every post-game presser), the O-Line isn't really as important as those other things.

Just give me a healthy Watson, Watt and Mercilus and I can show you a team capable of beating the Patriots or Steelers in the playoffs. Aka the two best teams in the AFC right now.
Watson's injury was likely initiated in the previous game. Not a "fluke injury".

That's just it. Going into the season, several of us had concerns about Watson staying healthy. Those concerns will still be there when he returns, magnified. We need an OL our backup can effectively play behind.
Or we need a backup that can effectively play behind our OL

Interesting thing about free agency. You only have a limited amount of money and Romo was in the 10 mil range which was most of our cap. QB was a bigger issue than OL. That’s where the priority was placed especially when it looked like our D could handle Brady and NE and all we needed was a QB who could manage the game and score in playoffs.

McNairs order was get a QB. Osweiller didn’t work. Romo didn’t work. So Rick then traded for DW. No one knows if we would have traded for DW if we got Romo. Or if we would have targeted the OL in the draft.

Either way - just as long as DW stays healthy - everything worked out for us for the better. We have DW who - if he stays healthy - is going to a bigger star in this league than most QBs because of his talent.

Wouldn't it have been nice if Ricky had a plan instead of grasping at straws. One like adding a couple of FA OL AND trading for DW4.

I don’t get it either. He is moving his argument from “not participating” to “not participating the way I like.”

It sounds like it’s just good ol fashioned bitching to *****.

Every thread turns into: OB sucks. Rick Smith sucks. McNair sucks. Nothing will ever change. Suck. Suck. Suck.

Why follow the Texans then?

Nice answer, I get that you don't like me pointing out the faults and lack of planning. Hopefully the bottom falling out will force McNair to change the way he goes about his business

Savage looked fine Sunday, once he worked out the heeby-jeebies

Wouldn't it have been nice if Ricky had a plan instead of grasping at straws. One like adding a couple of FA OL AND trading for DW4.

Man if you haven’t been able to see the plan was Romo first then OL you should be allowed to drive because you aren’t reading the signs in front of you.

Nice answer, I get that you don't like me pointing out the faults and lack of planning. Hopefully the bottom falling out will force McNair to change the way he goes about his business

Nah. Your narrative is just old and lacks facts and objectivity. Just be honest and say that it doesn’t matter what OB, Rick, and McNair do you won’t approve.

If the Texans won the Super Bowl next year you would say two things:

1. They got lucky and
2. It took them long enough.

Which gets back to my OL coach point. MN is in the 2nd year with theirs having retooled to players who presumably fit our system. Has any Texan OL player improved under Devlin?

Not apples to apples. Vikings overhauled their line and only one or two people are back from last year.

But it doesn’t matter because you point is still valid. Coaching is weak and we need more investments into the OL after Newton and Brown are gone while FILO is still here.

Watching the Cowboys vs Chargers game and I am LOLing at anyone who compares Prescott as = or > DW4. They aren't even in the same class, talent wise. I still don't understand how Rivers is an NFL QB with that effed up release of his.

Nah. Your narrative is just old and lacks facts and objectivity. Just be honest and say that it doesn’t matter what OB, Rick, and McNair do you won’t approve.

If the Texans won the Super Bowl next year you would say two things:

1. They got lucky and
2. It took them long enough.

Not true at all, but thanks for your thoughts.

Happy Thanksgiving

Man if you haven’t been able to see the plan was Romo first then OL you should be allowed to drive because you aren’t reading the signs in front of you.

Failed plan might as well be know plan.

Letting Romo paralyze how your franchise by not setting guidelines of when you are ready to move on is why this franchise is where it is. Has been this way for years.

The franchise has to change the way they do business or they will never have a successful on the field product, I think we can agree Unless you are happy with the product you have been given over the last 12 years.

Watching the Cowboys vs Chargers game and I am LOLing at anyone who compares Prescott as = or > DW4. They aren't even in the same class, talent wise. I still don't understand how Rivers is an NFL QB with that effed up release of his.

Rivers is still a top 15 qb. Imagine if he had a great OL around him.

Or... had O'Brien named Watson the starter from the get go, prepared him to start week 1 & Watson not got hurt in practice, we could be 7-3 right now.

If he hadn't let Ricky talk him out of starting DW4. Another reason I want BOB gone. There should be no doubt as to who is really calling the shots over on Kirby.

The Texans signed an OT, drafted an OT, & a Center.

A 4th round pick and a hurt 3rd tier fa isn't what I would call being committed to fixing the OL. So, we certainly are looking at things differently. BTw, are you happy with the ol Ricky put on the field this year.

It doesn't matter. If the Texans did it, it's wrong.

BS

And when it comes to fixing the OL I hope you are happy with this year's group.

They are awesome. You just don't want to admit the Vikings did what the Texans should have done.

Teams would've eventually figured out and successfully game planned this one-trick pony offense. Those fans that are under the illusion of a healthy Watson, Watt, Clowney and Mercilus equaling a Super Bowl need to wake up and grasp reality. There are glaring holes on this team "overall" and expecting the upcoming off-season that has a weak FA Class and a draft that doesn't initiate for the Texans until RD3...RS's worst rounds (RD3 - RD7) historically...should taper expectations of a big turnaround in 2018.

Like the Osweiler Case...the worst thing the Texans could do next off-season is compound this bad situation by trading away key 2019 picks (RD1 - RD2) to bolster the 2018 NFL Draft. At the moment, just use 2018 as a bridging system to 2019. Only draft BPA at key positions of need. Draft for depth and hope that a couple of players elevate themselves to fill key starter rolls.

This team needs to turnoff the ether in regards to Watson so they can better formulate a plan of attack that would give them some kind of sustainable high-end success for years...yes, years...to come. Watson has the ability to get them there but he's not going to do it by himself. Case in point, Prescott is crashing to earth pretty hard without his sustainable OL and running game.

Last edited:
Teams would've eventually figured out and successfully game planned this one-trick pony offense. Those fans that under the illusion of a healthy Watson, Watt, Clowney and Mercilus equals a Super Bowl need to wake up and grasp reality. There are glaring holes in this team "overall" and one off-season that is showcasing a weak FA Class and a draft that doesn't initiate until RD3...RS's worst rounds (RD3 - RD7) historically should not be expecting a big turnaround in 2018.

Like the Osweiler Case...the worst thing the Texans could do next off-season, is compounding this bad situation by trading away key 2019 picks (RD1 - RD2) to bolster the 2018 NFL Draft. At the moment, just use 2018 as a bridging system to 2019. Draft BPA at key positions of need, only. Draft for depth and hope that a couple of players elevate themselves to key starter rolls.

This team needs to turnoff the ether in regards to Watson so they can better formulate a plan of attack that would give them some kind of sustainable high-end success for years...yes, years...to come. Watson has the ability to get them there but he's not going to do it by himself. Case in point, Prescott is crashing to earth pretty hard without his sustainable OL and running game.

I know you realize that Watsons gaudy stats were attained without the hint of an OL and just average running backs.

Not a real good analogy IMHO.

But yes,it would be nice if the godfather could come up with a plan....that works.

:coffee:

Teams would've eventually figured out and successfully game planned this one-trick pony offense. Those fans that under the illusion of a healthy Watson, Watt, Clowney and Mercilus equals a Super Bowl need to wake up and grasp reality. There are glaring holes in this team "overall" and one off-season that is showcasing a weak FA Class and a draft that doesn't initiate until RD3...RS's worst rounds (RD3 - RD7) historically should not be expecting a big turnaround in 2018.

Like the Osweiler Case...the worst thing the Texans could do next off-season, is compounding this bad situation by trading away key 2019 picks (RD1 - RD2) to bolster the 2018 NFL Draft. At the moment, just use 2018 as a bridging system to 2019. Draft BPA at key positions of need, only. Draft for depth and hope that a couple of players elevate themselves to key starter rolls.

Agreed,

But this is a good yr for OL in the draft. (I dont know how the OL looks in the 2019 draft, but Ricky should.) If an OT like Crosby fell to the middle of the 2nd I would trade a 2018 3rd and a 2019 2nd to trade up and get him since I think he's got the ability to be a franchise LT in a couple of yrs.

I know you realize that Watsons gaudy stats were attained without the hint of an OL and just average running backs.

Not a real good analogy IMHO.

But yes,it would be nice if the godfather could come up with a plan....that works.

Plan?

What plan has the godfather had in the last 12 yrs? If you know what his plan is or has been please let me know.

Plan?

I suppose he has done the best he knows how.

It just hasn't been good enough. I do feel that his scouts have failed him. Or he is listening to the wrong ones.

I think you and I are of one mind when it comes to the godfather.

Plan?

I suppose he has done the best he knows how.

It just hasn't been good enough. I do feel that his scouts have failed him. Or he is listening to the wrong ones.

I think you and I are of one mind when it comes to the godfather.

The godfather hired Jimmy Raye.

Lol

If we win these next five games and Savage plays like he did last week. Do we resign him or let him walk?

Good question.

I would think keeping Savage depends on Watsons recovery.

If Watson has a full recovery Savage could be moved.

My pea brain says that a team would prefer QB's, starter and backup, that could run the same offense.

This does not describe Watson & Savage.

But when it comes to prognosticating anything Texans I am usually wrong.

Good question.

I would think keeping Savage depends on Watsons recovery.

If Watson has a full recovery Savage could be moved.

My pea brain says that a team would prefer QB's, starter and backup, that could run the same offense.

This does not describe Watson & Savage.

But when it comes to prognosticating anything Texans I am usually wrong.

Good answer.

My question would be, " at what cost"?

We are notorious for overpaying certain players. Watson might not be ready for next years week one. Savage and his agent might push for a healthy extension. The Texans could franchise him. But what is the going rate? Will he get what Cousins got and how will it affect our cap?

And the year before that they brought in 2 FA, drafted Martin, picked up Mancz as UDFA. But hey he hasn't tried to fix the offensive line. Hahahaha or he didn't go after the players Steel wanted. Therefore, Rick is a failure.

...and the current OL personnel is all they have to show for this effort? Hell, anyone could close their eyes, scout and sign a bunch of non-talented mouth breathers and call it a day. This has to get better!

And the year before that they brought in 2 FA, drafted Martin, picked up Mancz as UDFA. But hey he hasn't tried to fix the offensive line. Hahahaha or he didn't go after the players Steel wanted. Therefore, Rick is a failure.
Exactly. The FO hasn’t simply ignored OL like some are trying to portray. Allen & XSF were significant investments that simply didn’t work out. Newton had a catastrophic injury. And Duane simply decided he doesn’t want to play for the Texans anymore.

Now this offseason, if they don’t at least add two significant pieces to the OL, then I’ll have some big question marks.

Exactly. The FO hasn’t simply ignored OL like some are trying to portray. Allen & XSF were significant investments that simply didn’t work out. Newton had a catastrophic injury. And Duane simply decided he doesn’t want to play for the Texans anymore.

Now this offseason, if they don’t at least add two significant pieces to the OL, then I’ll have some big question marks.

Newton never was a RT to get excited about....dude was a turnstile operator each and every year he could put a uniform on.

I would inquire about Tyrod Taylor. He has experience, some success, and could run an offense tailored to Watson.
I think Tyrod will get an offer from someone to be a gap stop QB. Every offseason, those are always in demand. If I was Jax, I’d overpay for Tyrod.

In other words, I’d be highly surprised if he takes an offer to be a backup.

Nope,

He's a failure because the OL still sucks despite this post. He can't evaluate talent worth a crap. Do you expect Rocky to have an epiphany and all of the sudden make this franchise a SB contender after seeing his 12 year track record?

Back