Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

Regarding the pay for Mallet, well doesn't that indicate that OB must not have that much confidence in Mallet if he was going to allow Mallet to go field other offers and give him less than Hoyer? I mean, that is a big risk that could have gone the other way and we could have lost out. Clearly, the Texans actions indicate that they weren't to worried about that from the way I'm seeing this. "That" tells me that Mallet must not have made them feel that strongly that he''ll become and elite level type of passer.

I think we'll see when camp starts. If it looks like the competition is slanted towards Hoyer, then it would support this.

If it looks like it's Mallett's job to lose, then I think the contract is more about Mallett not wanting a long term deal.

I understand us fans wanting a "prove it" deal, but if I were the Texans & I thought about Mallett the way I think about Mallett, my goal is to lock him up long term.

If I thought he was "back-up" material, I'd have signed Hoyer & let him duke it out with Fitz, while I develop Savage or target my QB in 2016. Or even the 2015 draft.

I think we'll see when camp starts. If it looks like the competition is slanted towards Hoyer, then it would support this.
[...]
I understand us fans wanting a "prove it" deal, but if I were the Texans & I thought about Mallett the way I think about Mallett, my goal is to lock him up long term.

I think the coaches and FO want a "prove it" deal as well as the fans, and heck I think Mallett wants it too. If Ryan comes in and blows the doors off there is no reason the Texans can't give him an extension in 2016. In my mind Hoyer is here in case the opposite happens.

I think Fitz was tried out--Harvard education and all--and was unable to run OB's system in a manageable time frame. OB is quoted as saying Fitzy's 6 TD game was due to him seeing Mallett run the offense the proper way.

I think the coaches and FO want a "prove it" deal as well as the fans, and heck I think Mallett wants it too. If Ryan comes in and blows the doors off there is no reason the Texans can't give him an extension in 2016. In my mind Hoyer is here in case the opposite happens.

I think Fitz was tried out--Harvard education and all--and was unable to run OB's system in a manageable time frame. OB is quoted as saying Fitzy's 6 TD game was due to him seeing Mallett run the offense the proper way.

Good post and dead on IMO.

I would also add that our TE's not being utilized was a Fitz thing. Another reason to let him go. I remember watching that Browns game and saying "Holy crap Mallett actually throws to his TE's!"

Good post and dead on IMO.

I would also add that our TE's not being utilized was a Fitz thing. Another reason to let him go. I remember watching that Browns game and saying "Holy crap Mallett actually throws to his TE's!"

Yeah i noticed that as well, also noticed Mallett goes through his reads fully, and then without hesitation delivers the ball where he wants it. Also saw him looking off safties a few plays. Seems like a pretty smart guy IMO.

I think the coaches and FO want a "prove it" deal as well as the fans, and heck I think Mallett wants it too. If Ryan comes in and blows the doors off there is no reason the Texans can't give him an extension in 2016.

would you rather pay $8M/yr for your franchise QB or $16M/yr for your starter? Look at what Dalton is getting, look at what Ryan, Romo, & Cutler got. None of them even sniffed a Super Bowl. None of them with dominating post season history. Hell, these guys would do well to get to the playoffs.

Sorry, I'm not ok with paying guys like this the kind of money they're getting, Cutler got paid $20M last year alone.

Two years from now, that's what Mallett will be looking for. Two years from now that's the kind of contract we'll be negotiating. If he plays well... not great, but above average, he'll get it. Maybe not from us, but someone bidding on free agent QBS.

Were I the Texans I'd have wanted him to sign something with a big roster bonus in year three. & not have to deal with FA two years from now.

would you rather pay $8M/yr for your franchise QB or $16M/yr for your starter? Look at what Dalton is getting, look at what Ryan, Romo, & Cutler got. None of them even sniffed a Super Bowl. None of them with dominating post season history. Hell, these guys would do well to get to the playoffs.

Sorry, I'm not ok with paying guys like this the kind of money they're getting, Cutler got paid $20M last year alone.

Two years from now, that's what Mallett will be looking for. Two years from now that's the kind of contract we'll be negotiating. If he plays well... not great, but above average, he'll get it. Maybe not from us, but someone bidding on free agent QBS.

Were I the Texans I'd have wanted him to sign something with a big roster bonus in year three. & not have to deal with FA two years from now.

If Mallett is all that, he won't hit free agency

In his two game audition Mallett targeted the TE position 11 times for 7 catches and 2 TD's. Seems he's aware of the benefits of utilizing that position and capable (when healthy) of making it happen.

Like it or not, that's what it costs to keep a "franchise" QB. The Texans would've been foolish to offer Mallett just as Chicago was foolish to give Cutler the deal they did. Ryan and Romo are both good QB's and Ryan led the Falcons to the playoffs 4 straight years and an NFCCG. That's sniffing istance to the SB.

Like it or not, that's what it costs to keep a "franchise" QB. The Texans would've been foolish to offer Mallett just as Chicago was foolish to give Cutler the deal they did. Ryan and Romo are both good QB's and Ryan led the Falcons to the playoffs 4 straight years and an NFCCG. That's sniffing istance to the SB.

I was sniffing distance from Miranda Lambert not to long ago, and i liked it. So yeah i know what ya mean ;)

If Mallett is all that, he won't hit free agency

On a two year contract he may as well. You're still competing against the same teams. If the contract were longer you can use the fear of losing money if something were to happen. But two years from now, all we'll have is the franchise tag. I think it's $13M now. I don't want to pay him $13M unless he wins an AFC championship game.

Right. I'm not saying we should have offered him that kind of money. I'm saying we should have wanted to sign him to a longer term deal. $6~8M/yr for five years with a big bonus and a way out in year 3. If he's a franchise QB, he gets the bonus. If not, he starts his journey man career.

On a two year contract he may as well. You're still competing against the same teams. If the contract were longer you can use the fear of losing money if something were to happen. But two years from now, all we'll have is the franchise tag. I think it's $13M now. I don't want to pay him $13M unless he wins an AFC championship game.

If he shines this year and proves he's a capable starter, don't you think they'll redo his deal before 2016 is done? Why are you fretting on money 2 years down the road at least? Mallett will prove he's worth it or not

If he shines this year and proves he's a capable starter, don't you think they'll redo his deal before 2016 is done? Why are you fretting on money 2 years down the road at least? Mallett will prove he's worth it or not

Not really fretting about the money. Just trying to get into OB's head. If I think he's a franchise QB I want to lock him up as long as I can for as little as possible.

If I have little confidence in him being able to lead a team to the Super Bowl, we spend a month haggling over $1.7M & I bring in Brian Hoyer.

Right. I'm not saying we should have offered him that kind of money. I'm saying we should have wanted to sign him to a longer term deal. $6~8M/yr for five years with a big bonus and a way out in year 3. If he's a franchise QB, he gets the bonus. If not, he starts his journey man career.
I just can't buy into that with the very limited data Mallett has provided. He's too much of an unknown. I think Savage could very well emerge as the QB of the future, instead of Mallett.

My first wife was a 10 and my second was an 8. I'm spoiled. And 8-10s stopped looking at me a long time ago.
Do what I did and move to SoCal. Extremely high density of 8-10 women and extremely low density guys who treat women decently.

Mallett and Hoyer in two years as restricted free agents to trade and Savage as the franchise starter...fantasy but I can dream if I want.

The lurker strikes again. Just for amusement, I posted that saying, I bet ol Cak corrects in less than an hour.

If he hadn't someone else would have posted the correction.

but it's good to know that I shouldn't trust anything you post to be accurate.

Back