Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

Anyone listening to 610 about Mallett? Lopez was saying that they (Texans) are unsure of Mallett's image in regards to moving forward with him as the starting QB.

This is exactly how we got stuck with Carr for 6 years. Mallett knows the play book, puts in the work, showed promise before the injury, and is generally a good human being, but the Texans are worried about him being too "hip hop"?

I thought we were here to win Superbowls not beauty pageants.

Anyone listening to 610 about Mallett? Lopez was saying that they (Texans) are unsure of Mallett's image in regards to moving forward with him as the starting QB.

This is exactly how we got stuck with Carr for 6 years. Mallett knows the play book, puts in the work, showed promise before the injury, and is generally a good human being, but the Texans are worried about him being too "hip hop"?

Much to McNairs horror , Mallett has brought in the East Texas fans .

Trailer_Park_Cast.jpg

Who is his source? Wasn't it Lopez who said Wilfork was gone? I do not believe this even a little bit.

This was being discussed over the weekend on 610...........the source was from a sports writer hack (I can't remember who), who is known for baseless pieces presented solely for stirring up controversy. They emphasized that this was egregiously contra to everything that OB has ever said about Mallet. They discounted and made fun of every thing in the piece.

It doesn't surprise me in the least bit that the morning 610 talk hosts who I have always thought of as clowns, would report.............and propogate this piece of crap.

This was being discussed over the weekend on 610...........the source was from a sports writer hack (I can't remember who), who is known for baseless pieces presented solely for stirring up controversy. They emphasized that this was egregiously contra to everything that OB has ever said about Mallet. They discounted and made fun of every thing in the piece.

It doesn't surprise me in the least bit that the morning 610 talk hosts who I have always thought of as clowns, would report.............and propogate this piece of crap.

Negativity sales and they always have a bountiful supply .

Lopez is a waste of space. If the folks on Kirby were thinking about image in who should start at QB the discussion should be how fast they get canned. But they aren't.

This morning they were talking about the thing that concerns me. What if OB does the same thing he did last year and declare Hoyer as starter before training camp begins.

OTA's isn't a place to declare a starter with limited playing time and drills.

And even if Mallett or Savage come out better than Hoyer in TC, will OB go with the qb with the most potential?
I sure hope so.

This morning they were talking about the thing that concerns me. What if OB does the same thing he did last year and declare Hoyer as starter before training camp begins.

OTA's isn't a place to declare a starter with limited playing time and drills.

And even if Mallett or Savage come out better than Hoyer in TC, will OB go with the qb with the most potential?
I sure hope so.

Coaches have to make a decision, then get behind that decision & make it work. Like the Seahawks named a third round rookie the starter in training camp & went with it. Many teams will name a rookie 1st or 2nd round pick the starter & go with it.

I don't care when OB names his starter, whether it's Hoyer, or Mallett. He just needs to make sure he's doing everything he can to make the dude successful... & that means Texans' win. However, after so many games, if we're winning in spite of that guy, like we were with Fitzpatrick, he needs to be able to pull the plug & try to salvage the season.

Coaches have to make a decision, then get behind that decision & make it work. Like the Seahawks named a third round rookie the starter in training camp & went with it. Many teams will name a rookie 1st or 2nd round pick the starter & go with it.

I don't care when OB names his starter, whether it's Hoyer, or Mallett. He just needs to make sure he's doing everything he can to make the dude successful... & that means Texans' win. However, after so many games, if we're winning in spite of that guy, like we were with Fitzpatrick, he needs to be able to pull the plug & try to salvage the season.

Exactly. This right here is what made me question OB's decision. Many posters here say he worked wonders with Fitz, but I didn't see it that way. It was mostly Foster working wonders in the offense and Watt being a beast on defense.

I get that it's tough to make decisions and then try to stick to them, but sometimes, if it's not working, you have to move on and admit it didn't work as you planned.

Was it the douche from Houston Culture Map?

The same Lopez that said Wilfork wasn't signing here? Obrien has said nothing but good things about mallett. He's put in all the time and work needed to be a starter.

Was it the douche from Houston Culture Map?

I absolutely don't consider this guy a hack (or a douche), but MAD Radio (without Seth Payne who was out sick) had Hub Arkush (Chicagofootball.com, and formerly Pro Football Weekly) on yesterday, and he said his sources basically said while Mallett may still be the QB of the future, they expect Hoyer to win the starting job this season. He also indicated the Texans are concerned that Mallett may not currently understand what it means to be 100 percent committed to becoming a top flite starting NFL QB. It seems like 3-plus seasons of watching Tom Brady ply his trade should make it pretty obvious what that commitment entails, but that's what his sources told him.

Here's a link to the interview. The Texans QB portion starts at about the 3 minute mark and lasts for about 2.5 minutes.
LINK

I absolutely don't consider this guy a hack (or a douche), but MAD Radio (without Seth Payne who was out sick) had Hub Arkush (Chicagofootball.com, and formerly Pro Football Weekly) on yesterday, and he said his sources basically said while Mallett may still be the QB of the future, they expect Hoyer to win the starting job this season. He also indicated the Texans are concerned that Mallett may not currently understand what it means to be 100 percent committed to becoming a top flite starting NFL QB. It seems like 3-plus seasons of watching Tom Brady ply his trade should make it pretty obvious what that commitment entails, but that's what his sources told him.

Here's a link to the interview. The Texans QB portion starts at about the 3 minute mark and lasts for about 2.5 minutes.
LINK

If there is any question of commitment at all, why sign him? He's 4 years in under these coaches' eyes. There's no taking anyone else's word about it.

That runs counter to everything else stated about him.

Lopez is a waste of space. If the folks on Kirby were thinking about image in who should start at QB the discussion should be how fast they get canned. But they aren't.

Those flies you see buzzing around a big pile of dog poo? That would be Nick Wright and John Lopez, and the poo would be their garbage morning show.

I'd call them idiots, but that would be insulting to idiots everywhere.

LINK

Personally I'll just wait and see what happens. Hub used to be a regular on MAD radio when he had PFW going. Now is he is more focused on Chicago news.

Those flies you see buzzing around a big pile of dog poo? That would be Nick Wright and John Lopez, and the poo would be their garbage morning show.

I'd call them idiots, but that would be insulting to idiots everywhere.

The mind boggles at the fact that they are still on the air.
:vincepalm:

LINK

The broadcast I listened to was over this last weekend...........and the original source of this controversy was specifically named.......and it wasn't Arkush.

[Edit: I believe the broadcast I heard it on was the Saturday 3/28/15 Matt and Cody Show (I actually enjoy listening to this combo)........the segment just before they interviewed Newton, Filo and Griffin]

If there is any question of commitment at all, why sign him? He's 4 years in under these coaches' eyes. There's no taking anyone else's word about it.

That runs counter to everything else stated about him.

Is there any indication that this is more than mere speculation? Anybody can do that without any knowledge whatsoever.

Is there any indication that this is more than mere speculation? Anybody can do that without any knowledge whatsoever.

My guess is it's just that "mere speculation" for the "Why did OB bring in Hoyer if he already had Mallett?" The fact that they added "reported by an anonymous/unknown/thought-of-it-on-the-toilet source" is just to escalate it to a "BREAKING NEWS STORY" bullshitism.

The fact that Lopez completely missed on his Wilfork article, and was the most part let off scot-free is all we need to know about the 610's morning show level of journalistic authority.

Okay here's the scoop...

Hub Arkush came on and said his sources told him Mallett may not know or be doing everything it takes to be a face of the franchise starting QB.

This was denied, as all reports are Mallett had and has been putting in all the work expected of him, all he can do at this time.

Lopez retorts by saying Arkush interpreted it wrong, that his sources told him the issue is Mallett acts "too street", too "from the hood" for some people's tastes at NRG.

Here's the link for all of the blurbs:

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/2015/04/john-lopez-ryan-mallett-acts-too-street.html

Sounds like a bunch of poppycock to me.

Didn't John Lopez just recently break some big story that was totally wrong and he had to backtrack on???

Last edited:
Can you tell how long ago that happened?
I just wonder if the deletion coincided with signing his contract or what...?

He favorited some Tweets yesterday about him playing at the SHO. So either overnight or this morning.

My opinion? He is just focusing on his job. He knows this is his best chance to shine. The dumb reports yesterday that Hoyer is the defacto #1 QB and todays "report" that BOB told him he was not "white enough" probably helped his decision.

Okay here's the scoop...

Hub Arkush came on and said his sources told him Mallett may not know or be doing everything it takes to be a face of the franchise starting QB.

This was denied, as all reports are Mallett had and has been putting in all the work expected of him, all he can do at this time.

Lopez retorts by saying Arkush interpreted it wrong, that the issue is Mallett acts "too street", too "from the hood" for some people's tastes at NRG.

Here's the link for all of the blurbs:

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/2015/04/john-lopez-ryan-mallett-acts-too-street.html

Sounds like a bunch of poppycock to me.

Didn't John Lopez just recently break some big story that was totally wrong and he had to backtrack on???

When Mallet first came into the League, his interview on THE QUARTERBACK CORNER reflected pure "street" in speech, mannerisms and dress. Since then, through very apparent observant study of his mentors and indisputable hard work, he has managed to successfully transform his entire being into someone who deserves respect as an individual and teammate.........in pursuit of becoming the face of a franchise following in the steps of a Tom Brady.

O'Brien does not strike me as the kind of man that is going to stake his professional head coaching career on a player that is unable to be mature and intelligent enough to handle the job.

When Mallet first came into the League, his interview on THE QUARTERBACK CORNER reflected pure "street" in speech, mannerisms and dress. Since then, through very apparent observant study of his mentors and indisputable hard work, he has managed to successfully transform his entire being into someone who deserves respect as an individual and teammate.........in pursuit of becoming the face of a franchise following in the steps of a Tom Brady.

Here's the latest clip I've found. I'm not really getting "street" or "acting black" from it: Ryan Mallet: Always around.
Now if Mallet will just stop wobbling around at his press conferences, he'll have the media videos mastered! :specnatz:

IF mallett is "too street" thats going to be a strike against him. Wanting marketable guys isn't Texans exclusive though. Texans may put more emphasis on it than some other teams, but it is what it is.

O'Brien does not strike me as the kind of man that is going to stake his professional head coaching career on a player that is unable to be mature and intelligent enough to handle the job.

O'Brien isn't staking his career in Ryan Mallett by naming him the starter. Not with the contract Mallett signed. He can be yanked at any time. Hoyer too.

Had we went hard after Mallett & signed him to the kind of deal I wanted to, or had we used substantial draft picks to get him, then he would be married to Mallett at the hip.

The way it is now, it's set up as a, "What's he got to lose?" type of situation.

O'Brien isn't staking his career in Ryan Mallett by naming him the starter. Not with the contract Mallett signed. He can be yanked at any time. Hoyer too.

Had we went hard after Mallett & signed him to the kind of deal I wanted to, or had we used substantial draft picks to get him, then he would be married to Mallett at the hip.

The way it is now, it's set up as a, "What's he got to lose?" type of situation.

Ob can't not make a commitment to a qb forever can he?

Just one year difference so far but this will be the longest the Texans have gone without having a qb they were at least semi-committed to as being a franchise guy.

OB is going to take his time I guess.

Here's the latest clip I've found. I'm not really getting "street" or "acting black" from it: Ryan Mallet: Always around.
Now if Mallet will just stop wobbling around at his press conferences, he'll have the media videos mastered! :specnatz:

Anyone else see that interview and immediately think of Nuke Laloosh ...

[IMGwidthsize=450]http://fogsmoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/nuke_laloosh_interview_tim_robbins_bull_durham.png[/IMG]

Fwiw I mean that in a good way.

Exactly - OB is staking his career on these choices. He's toast if he can't find a QB by going through the parts bin just as much as if he flames on a high pick.

Can we have two faces of the franchise? Seems to me that #99 already has that and the good boy thing down.

Hard to have a qb controversy when we don't have a starter.

I suspect the PLAN is an open competition in Camp and preseason and name the winner and our regular season starter week 3 of the preseason (no week to week decisions). I doubt the competition rolls into the season. That way, the controversy is over before it begins.

I think competition is being confused with controversy. If Mallet and Hoyer both compete for the job, and one of them wins it: Competition. If the Steelers draft a QB in the first round, and he competes with Roth for the starting QB job: Controversy.

Just one year difference so far but this will be the longest the Texans have gone without having a qb they were at least semi-committed to as being a franchise guy.

OB is going to take his time I guess.

This is year two for OB... not exactly forever.

All he's got to do is win. Doesn't matter who the QB is.

Mallett & Hoyer, we can cut them after the season & have minimal affect on our cap going forward.

There's nothing to stop him from drafting Mariota & cutting Mallett before this season starts. There's nothing stopping him from drafting a QB next season. Or the season after that.

I'd like for him to get the QB situation figured out, & he may very well have. I'm just saying we can dump these guys at the end of the season, just like we dumped Fitz. He isn't married to anyone, imo, until we sign a guy to a contract that makes it prohibitive to cut in the short term.

Reactions: JB
I think competition is being confused with controversy. If Mallet and Hoyer both compete for the job, and one of them wins it: Competition. If the Steelers draft a QB in the first round, and he competes with Roth for the starting QB job: Controversy.

I mentioned controversy as a joke & it had nothing to do with the competition, it was about Mallett being too "street" to be the face of the Houston Texans.

This is year two for OB... not exactly forever.

All he's got to do is win. Doesn't matter who the QB is.

Mallett & Hoyer, we can cut them after the season & have minimal affect on our cap going forward.

There's nothing to stop him from drafting Mariota & cutting Mallett before this season starts. There's nothing stopping him from drafting a QB next season. Or the season after that.

I'd like for him to get the QB situation figured out, & he may very well have. I'm just saying we can dump these guys at the end of the season, just like we dumped Fitz. He isn't married to anyone, imo, until we sign a guy to a contract that makes it prohibitive to cut in the short term.

I agree, and I think that'll happen after this season one way or the other. Either Mallett/Hoyer is the man and gets a contract to reflect it, or he's not and a very high draft pick is used on one. I think the former. We gonna be good. I just know it!

:breakdance:

I know a few girls that have hung around him and he definitely is a little "street" if that's what we're calling it. They said he's a really nice guy though and thought he was cool.

I couldn't care less as long as he slings the ball the way he's capable of and leads us to wins.

Gee, I wonder what people thought of Jim McMahon during his hay day. :vincepalm:

Frankly I don't give a crap what dialect/accent the guy talks with or if he likes to have a good time in his off time (as long as he isn't assaulting females/breaking the law and is putting in the necessary work towards his rehab and craft). I understand the McNair's value character, but if this story has any ounce of truth to it, I they're taking it too far. Nothing Mallett has done since he entered the league and came here suggests he has a character issue..at least not the ones to be concerned about.

All I care about is if the guy can play football or not, If he can I don't care if he starts his own beastie boy cover band in his off time.. We aren't in position to be that nitpicking over how someone talks at the quarterback position, the question is..can they play and run a huddle (something I thought Mallett did pretty well last year).

All this ruckus over what some asshats said on a radio show? Lol.

More importantly, why the heck are so many people listening to that show? Their night crew and those two fools are the worst in Houston, if not the Nation. If it weren't for Seth Payne I wouldn't even move my radio from satellite. The dude's funny and knows his stuff

Houston talk show radio sucks all together. I thought it'd get better after Innes left, but unfortunately, it got worse.

Listened to Zierlein for a while, but he's gotten a bit self-centered for me. He's an 'I'm always right' guy now.

O'Brien's head coaching career is directly related to winning games. You win games by finding the best talent at each position. It's not complicated.

I doubt he's going to put someone who is not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of the most important position on the team in a role that can directly cost him games.

You said yourself that O'Brien went hard after Mallett. So that goes back to my point: I do not believe that O'Brien is the kind of dude that is going to push hard for a player that he thinks is unable to be mature and intelligent enough to handle the job. It's basic logic, man.

All this ruckus over what some asshats said on a radio show? Lol.

More importantly, why the heck are so many people listening to that show? Their night crew and those two fools are the worst in Houston, if not the Nation. If it weren't for Seth Payne I wouldn't even move my radio from satellite. The dude's funny and knows his stuff

Houston talk show radio sucks all together. I thought it'd get better after Innes left, but unfortunately, it got worse.

Listened to Zierlein for a while, but he's gotten a bit self-centered for me. He's an 'I'm always right' guy now.

I agree. Koch and Kalu are a MUCH better radio show that is almost always about football. They do not need the goofy zoo antics.

610 always seems to need a resident douche. It was Josh Ennis before Nick Wright. Both are worthless.

Back