Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

I hope that they don't draft a qb just to draft a qb. It's got to be THE guy
I don't want another Dave Ragone in the third round or Tom Savage in the fourth round. Guys who look like career backups at best. If we do draft a quarterback it has to be in the first or second round. We'll likely be picking in the 18 to 21 range which is usually the spot I don't mind gambling on a quarterback in the first round. I wanted the Texans to select Aaron Rodgers with pick 16 back in the 2005 draft instead of Travis Johnson. He fell into the Packers lap at pick 24.

I don't want another Dave Ragone in the third round or Tom Savage in the fourth round. Guys who look like career backups at best. If we do draft a quarterback it has to be in the first or second round. We'll likely be picking in the 18 to 21 range which is usually the spot I don't mind gambling on a quarterback in the first round. I wanted the Texans to select Aaron Rodgers with pick 16 back in the 2005 draft instead of Travis Johnson. He fell into the Packers lap at pick 24.

I don't want another Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker in the first or second round either. Like I said, don't draft a qb just to draft a qb and hoping he'll do

I just hope this teaches O'Brien that he better dig a little deeper into the injury status of his players. This is one of the worse player health decisions I can recall since they ran Dominic Davis-Williams' knees into the ground and ended his career.

IF O'Brien really knew that the kid's throwing ability was compromised and if he knew the pain got worse during warm-ups but sent him out there anyway, that's just flat inexcusable.

And one more thing, who made the smarter decision, Mallet for trying to play through pain when his body was telling him to sit down/get treated or Clowney, some weeks back, for having sense enough to listen to his body when it was telling him he wasn't ready to come back yet?
The Texans didn't end Dominick Davis' career. His future was brilliant when it ended in the off-season.

You are right about playing Mallett anyway. Unforgivable. He will now, I think, go on IR.

I don't want another Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker in the first or second round either. Like I said, don't draft a qb just to draft a qb and hoping he'll do
That's a good point. Although I think it's easier to justify drafting a quarterback in the middle-to-late first or second round. You can easily sit a potentially talented guy like that for a year or two. I don't think there will be as much pressure to start him right away like you would have to do somebody you draft number one overall, a la David Carr for example.

I like the idea of re-signing Ryan Mallett to compete for the starting job going into next season. I think the Texans will end this season 9-7 by winning four of our last five games, three of which are at home (Titans, at Jaguars, Ravens and Jaguars). We would have to beat the Colts at Indianapolis on December 14 to likely sniff the last wild-card spot in the AFC. But either way pick number 18 to 21 is what we're probably going to end up with. That to me seems like the perfect spot to draft a quarterback in the first round. I would definitely be on board.

That's a good point. Although I think it's easier to justify drafting a quarterback in the middle-to-late first or second round. You can easily sit a potentially talented guy like that for a year or two. I don't think there will be as much pressure to start him right away like you would have to do somebody you draft number one overall, a la David Carr for example.

I like the idea of re-signing Ryan Mallett to compete for the starting job going into next season. I think the Texans will end this season 9-7 by winning four of our last five games, three of which are at home (Titans, at Jaguars, Ravens and Jaguars). We would have to beat the Colts at Indianapolis on December 14 to likely sniff the last wild-card spot in the AFC. But either way pick number 18 to 21 is what we're probably going to end up with. That to me seems like the perfect spot to draft a quarterback in the first round. I would definitely be on board.

I can understand and agree to a point. I don't think there is anyway we beat the Ravens or the Colts but no matter

Which qb do you think might be there that is worth a #1 pick assuming we draft in the second 10 (11-20)?

Or even in the top half of the second?

ugh. I think the worst feeling as a football fan is not having a decent starting QB. Well, that and huge chokes in the playoffs, of course.

And when your team drafts a QB high, you have this problem of having to wait 2-3 years to see if they pan out. Plus all the expectations and demands that come with a high draft pick.

Fitzpatrick, Blaine Gabbert, and Jake Locker, were all the QB examples that I used to use to appreciate Matt Schaub in his prime.

The thought of drafting one of those guys and having to wait out the suck is depressing.

I believe that Mallet will carry into 2015 the same promise that he left us with following the Browns game. His upside should be unaffected and his future very bright. The only difference is that the Texans should be able to recontract with him at more reasonable terms, potentially laden with performance incentives for him accompanied by Texans being able to option extend his contract if he shows that he can be "The Man" going forward.

See... this is the CnD I like (not that I don't like the other guy). Maybe our fortunes are changing.

I can understand and agree to a point. I don't think there is anyway we beat the Ravens or the Colts but no matter

Which qb do you think might be there that is worth a #1 pick assuming we draft in the second 10 (11-20)?

Or even in the top half of the second?
A recent mock I looked at had the Texans drafting Brett Hundley, quarterback out of UCLA, with the 13th overall pick. I don't think we'll be drafting quite that high though. I expect us to be in the 18-21 pick range. Maybe he'll fall down some spots. I've seen some people rate Hundley as a late first rounder to early second round talent. Others say he'll be the third quarterback drafted after Mariota and Winston.

I was going to point out that we have to wait and see which underclassmen end up declaring for the draft but Brett Hundley has apparently made up his mind. He'll be entering the 2015 NFL Draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tt-hundley-plans-to-enter-the-2015-nfl-draft/

A guy like that would entice me with some coaching up by Bill O'Brien. He wouldn't have to start right away. I like the idea of Ryan Mallett starting Week 1 of 2015. I guess it just depends on how much better his potential is over Tom Savage.

I think you're looking at something between what Orton and Fitzpatrick got.

Actually, there's very little difference between the two, as between the first year salaries and the guaranteed money, both of them will pocket exactly $4 Million in the first year of the deal, with nothing further guaranteed. Orton has a bigger base salary in year 2, but as I said, none of it's guaranteed, so the Bills can walk away for only the dead money associated with the unamortized bonus ($1.5 Million).

And let's be honest, if Mallett signs a contract along these lines, you're likely never going to see year two anyway - he's either wrapped up long term after year one or cut - depending on how he plays.

Why does Savage look like a career back up? Just because he was taken after the 4th?

Why does Savage look like a career back up? Just because he was taken after the 4th?
That's just an opinion based on right now. He's not impressing the coaches enough in practices even though Bill O'Brien will say a lot of positive things about him. He hasn't even been good enough to be activated on some game days. If he were making positive progression he'd likely be a serious candidate to be starting in these final five games. I wish the kid the best but chances are he's not going to materialize into a franchise quarterback.

I don't know what else to call him for the time being. A starter he is not. At least not yet. Can he become one? I sure hope so. I'd love to see him blossom into something special but I don't think anybody on here is saying "He's going to become our Super Bowl winning caliber quarterback" for the next two decades. You know who Tom Savage reminds me of? A young Matt Schaub coming out of Virginia but even Schaub played in six games as a rookie with the Falcons. He wasn't de-activated for several games.

That's just an opinion based on right now. He's not impressing the coaches enough in practices even though Bill O'Brien will say a lot of positive things about him. He hasn't even been good enough to be activated on some game days. If he were making positive progression he'd likely be a serious candidate to be starting in these final five games. I wish the kid the best but chances are he's not going to materialize into a franchise quarterback.

None of that makes sense.

If we find out that Thaddeus Lewis is in fact the #2 QB behind Fitzpatrick, then I can understand where you're coming from, but right now..... no.

The plan was for him not to see game time this year from the get go. If the plan was to get him on the field at some time, we wouldn't have signed Fitzpatrick, or traded for Mallett.

Now we've got a situation where one of those two are injured, Savage should be promoted to the back-up position, just like Yates was way back when. If that doesn't happen, yes, there's a problem.

We'll find out tomorrow, when they practice. Unless they're practicing today because of the holiday.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lot closer, maybe more, than Schaub's first contract. 6 years $48M.

He's our starter. We're going to pay him like a starting QB.

Really? At this point I think he's a guy who's going to be given the opportunity to compete for the job next year.

Why is it that reports are Mallett is done for year but he isn't on ir and bob is saying he is being evaluated and leaving the door open for him to play this week?

I don't know what else to call him for the time being. A starter he is not. At least not yet. Can he become one? I sure hope so. I'd love to see him blossom into something special but I don't think anybody on here is saying "He's going to become our Super Bowl winning caliber quarterback" for the next two decades. You know who Tom Savage reminds me of? A young Matt Schaub coming out of Virginia but even Schaub played in six games as a rookie with the Falcons. He wasn't de-activated for several games.

Nobody knows anything about Savage.

We do know that he has not played much football

He has a very strong arm and the kind of build BOB likes in a QB.

Why is it that reports are Mallett is done for year but he isn't on ir and bob is saying he is being evaluated and leaving the door open for him to play this week?

Based on the way they handled him last week would anyone be shocked if they let him suit up and give it a go?

Based on the way they handled him last week would anyone be shocked if they let him suit up and give it a go?

If it isn't a tear that requires long rest of surgery, I guess not, but as CND has said, any grade tear requires time off to heal. Not sure he can be ready this week.....hed have to answer that

Unless it isn't torn and is strained, not sure the timeline for a strain?

If it isn't a tear that requires long rest of surgery, I guess not, but as CND has said, any grade tear requires time off to heal. Not sure he can be ready this week.....hed have to answer that

Unless it isn't torn and is strained, not sure the timeline for a strain?

Remember. the term "strain" IS equivalent to the term "tear." Mallet will not be playing this week under ANY circumstances..........or any time this season (unless all reports are way out in left field, which would be inconsistent with everything we do know and have seen with our own eyes). With several reports pointing to surgery, even entertaining surgery, this would have to be very high Grade II (subtotal rupture) vs. Grade III total rupture........neither of which would best be treated by non-surgical rehab. Attempting rehab for either of these degrees of injury would be for months and months.......leaving him lost for the season anyway........and leaving him looking for a job in aluminum siding sales.......since his return of muscle strength and performance would be expected to never even come closely to what he enjoyed pre-injury. If they play games with his injury and delay necessary surgery...even a week or two, that may be enough to compromise his ability to return to pre-injury status, despite the surgery.

Let's even take the scenario that he started off with an Grade I tear that he then extended to just an average Grade II........just the fact that this "extension" would have to be considered a recurrent injury, his rehab would undoubtedly be expected to progress markedly more carefully (trying to keep a straight face) to at least 4-6 weeks. We aren't going to see Mallet again this season.....unless all the information obtained by our lying eyes and from all reporting sources out there have been nothing short of hallucinations and illusions.

Cuz OB learned under BB and that's the way it's done until official list has to come out

Yea, but aren't they going to have to put him on the IR? Whats the point in waiting.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did it still thinking it would force the Titans to prepare for Fitzpatrick and Mallet through Wednesday at least when game planning would have to be already in the works. You DO understand by now don't you that any Texans player with 2 broken legs, a broken pelvis, a broken neck, and 3rd degree burns to the eyes is likely to end up being listed as "Day-to day?

Wouldn't surprise me if they did it still thinking it would force the Titans to prepare for Fitzpatrick and Mallet through Wednesday at least when game planning would have to be already in the works. You DO understand by now don't you that any Texans player with 2 broken legs, a broken pelvis, a broken neck, and 3rd degree burns to the eyes is likely to end up being listed as "Day-to day?

Well to be fair none of that is life threatening

Unless the Titans staff thinks, "torn pec - he's out".

Hard to believe, but stranger things have happened. :)

Let the kid Savage play and bring back Mallett on a 2 year incentive based contract that is cap friendly for the Texans and if Savage plays well they can compete for the job like Russell Wilson and Flynn did. If Mallett wins the job and exceeds expectations through the season, re-negotiate a long term contract after the 2015 season.

No, no. Mallet won a game for us, so he is a Superbowl waiting to happen. Sign 'im up quick for $1000 million, Rick!!! :koolaid:

bring back Mallett on a 2 year incentive based contract that is cap friendly for the Texans If Mallett wins the job and exceeds expectations through the season, re-negotiate a long term contract after the 2015 season.

^^^this

Mallett had potential and if he did that well with an injury, could very well start here for another 5-8 years. Sign him to something that makes sense for both parties and lets see what he really has.

Some speculation on 610 yesterday afternoon that Mallett might have messed up his pec in resistance training. Has anyone heard anything about this? They said trainers often try unorthodox methods, and one of the guys - maybe Ted Johnson? - said that this could have been what happened to Mallett and if so, the trainer would be losing his gig.

B3Yx_7HCMAAIvJf.jpg:large

Wonder if this may have something to do with Mallett's accuracy issues...

nR70pd2.jpg

Looks like he is watching his throw instead of focusing on the target.

This may be a one off occurrence, but if Mallett is not focused on his target as he is releasing the ball, it would most likely affect his accuracy.

Wonder if this may have something to do with Mallett's accuracy issues...

Looks like he is watching his throw instead of focusing on the target.

This may be a one off occurrence, but if Mallett is not focused on his target as he is releasing the ball, it would most likely affect his accuracy.

I'm thinking the last game should be thrown out. Dude was injured.

...A guy like that would entice me with some coaching up by Bill O'Brien...

That BOB coaching up hasn't worked so well for Fitzpatrick.

I think the "Quarterback Whisperer" is very overrated. Not to mention cavalier, for thinking he could turn Fitz into something above a mediocre, journeyman QB.

That BOB coaching up hasn't worked so well for Fitzpatrick.

I think the "Quarterback Whisperer" is very overrated. Not to mention cavalier, for thinking he could turn Fitz into something above a mediocre, journeyman QB.

I don't think anybody thought that. Everyone knew Fitz was a placeholder. No one expected Fitz to turn into Dan Marino

Where was that claim ever made?

Also, O'Brien traded for another guy, and drafted another guy. What more do you want in a pre-season?

While I agree that it's a long shot that he becomes a franchise QB that leads us to a Super Bowl I don't think his being inactive every game says anything about how good he can be. Unless there is an injury situation I don't see a good reason to active 3 QBs. The need is too high for extra DBs, LBs, and anyone that can play special teams along with just regular rotational players. It's evident he isn't ready to take the reins right now, but stranger things can happen.

I would be surprised if he isn't active this week, though. Lewis might have more experience, but doesn't know the offense. At least I don't think he does. Maybe there's a rosetta stone that he's been studying.

I'm thinking the last game should be thrown out. Dude was injured.

yeah, that post you quoted seemed detached from reality and recent news. :um:

did Vandermeer clear this news release with O'Brien?

I was watching O'Brien's press conference from Monday, and not only was it extremely short, one of the questions about Mallett for additional details was met with a stern-faced "no".

Something about that direct no-BS reply made me like him a little more. There's no 'awe shucks' and trying to be friends with the media with O'Brien. He's straight up coach, and when he's in a bad mood, he doesn't sugar coat a damn thing.

I don't think anybody thought that. Everyone knew Fitz was a placeholder. No one expected Fitz to turn into Dan Marino

Placeholder, yes. But the BOB mystique/hype is that, since he's an offensive guru, he could get Fitz to be markedly better.

That was the pitch, and it was a hard and persistent one, with McClain and others buying in. But it hasn't worked.

Let's put it this way: Right after O'Brien was hired, if he had said something to the effect that Fitz, or let's say "a QB like" him, "is the type of guy we need to help turn this thing around," this board would have blown up. BOB got the benefit of the doubt because he was new, and because last season was a disaster.

But Fitz is who we thought he was: average at best, and that's being kind.

yeah, that post you quoted seemed detached from reality and recent news. :um:

I was watching O'Brien's press conference from Monday, and not only was it extremely short, one of the questions about Mallett for additional details was met with a stern-faced "no".

Something about that direct no-BS reply made me like him a little more. There's no 'awe shucks' and trying to be friends with the media with O'Brien. He's straight up coach, and when he's in a bad mood, he doesn't sugar coat a damn thing.

He probably finally understands that Mallet, medically cleared or not, should have never been allowed to practice so soon, let alone play last Sunday.

Pectoralis major muscle ruptures have become the new ACL tear......it used to be a rare injury in the NFL.

Good points. But they beg the question: Why did O'Brien allow him to keep playing? It was obvious that something was off with him.

It would be interesting know to what extent, if at all, they pressed Mallett to see if he was hurt.

Back