Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

I just can't believe they sent him out there knowing and he went out there knowing and he failed miserably and they didn't do anything about it and it got worse and everyone's treating him as a warrior for it. You're only a warrior if you play through pain and don't screw your team up in the process or even lead them to victory.

Absolute detriment to the team and we let him stay. This team could have very well been 6-5 going into games against Jacksonville and Tennessee.

Despicable. I hate this guy and I hate Bill O'Brien and the rest of those responsible for the decision to send him out there.

Utterly criminal.

Hate Mallett? He's been waiting for 3.5 years for a chance to prove he can be an NFL QB, finally gets it and the chance at a contract for millions and you expect him to willingly sit down? Ain't happening.

This sort of reminds me of Matt Leinart's brief stint as a starting quarterback for the Texans but the main difference is Ryan Mallett actually had a chance to become a good quarterback. Leinart struck me as a happy-go lucky party animal from USC. He seemed more concerned with being a celebrity, hanging out with the likes of Paris Hilton for example, than he did becoming a good pro quarterback.

Dammit that really sucks ! What a shame for the young man from Texarkana.
He's probably incredibly upset, depressed right now and I hope he's got some family, maybe his parents close by to help him deal with this because it's gotta be traumatic for him right now.

You can send him an encouraging message on Twitter if you like:

https://twitter.com/Ryan_mallett_15

I have.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Mallett's teammates praised the heck out of him today. Praised his toughness. Said they didn't know how bad it was til after the game.

To give you an idea, reviews of the modern literature reveals overall surgical outcomes are excellent 90% of the time compared with 17% of nonsurgical patients who had excellent outcomes.the majority of the patients return to their previous performance levels within 4 to 12 months.
Good to hear.

OMG - I just noticed there isn't a thread on Mallet being injured. Maybe we should open like four of them.

Mallet - Injured
Mallet's injury; what did we know and when?
How long will Mallet be out?
He's a BEAST, he don't need no stink pec!

with a poll!

I just can't believe they sent him out there knowing and he went out there knowing and he failed miserably and they didn't do anything about it and it got worse and everyone's treating him as a warrior for it. You're only a warrior if you play through pain and don't screw your team up in the process or even lead them to victory.

Absolute detriment to the team and we let him stay. This team could have very well been 6-5 going into games against Jacksonville and Tennessee.

Despicable. I hate this guy and I hate Bill O'Brien and the rest of those responsible for the decision to send him out there.

Utterly criminal.

wow

you should go find a different team to root for

The Raiders maybe... or go jump on the Niners wagon

Something's fishy about this whole ordeal. I don't understand how the training staff could allow him to trot back out onto the field in less than a week with a strained pec, knowing the injury could end up more severe.

Or, did Mallett mislead them by downplaying the severity of the strain?

Who knows? But, to me, it falls back on the training staffs lap for not running tests when they knew of "chest soreness" or whatev the injury report was

wow

you should go find a different team to root for

The Raiders maybe... or go jump on the Niners wagon

Who the **** are you to tell me who to root for or whether I should be allowed to be upset at my team's quarterback going out there or being sent out there knowingly hurt and misfiring all over the place in the team's biggest game of the year to date without getting pulled?

Seriously. Who do you think you are?

Who the **** are you to tell me who to root for or whether I should be allowed to be upset at my team's quarterback going out there or being sent out there knowingly hurt and misfiring all over the place in the team's biggest game of the year to date without getting pulled?

Seriously. Who do you think you are?

If you have so much hate for your team, why root for them?

You didn't say you were so upset, you said you hated. Why put yourself to such pain with so much vitriolic hate? Surely you can find the perfect team for you

If you have so much hate for your team, why root for them?

You didn't say you were so upset, you said you hated. Why put yourself to such pain with so much vitriolic hate? Surely you can find the perfect team for you

Am I supposed to love everything about this team blindly? I thought that was a bad thing on these boards? What with the whole Kubiak experience and all, where it was heresy to say that other things besides Kubiak were preventing this team from sustained success.

Excuse me for wanting the team to win their biggest game of the year to date. I'm sad for you that you're not upset about the team willingly trotting out an injured quarterback and keeping him him even though he was obviously bothered by something, which ended up preventing us from winning said biggest game of the year to date.

We whine and ***** about the "medical staff" when it comes to other situations, why not here? Why do our QB and our coach get a pass on this?

Makes no sense to me. I literally don't get how people aren't pissed beyond words about this.

But hey, carry on.

Am I supposed to love everything about this team blindly? I thought that was a bad thing on these boards? What with the whole Kubiak experience and all, where it was heresy to say that other things besides Kubiak were preventing this team from sustained success.

Excuse me for wanting the team to win their biggest game of the year to date. I'm sad for you that you're not upset about the team willingly trotting out an injured quarterback and keeping him him even though he was obviously bothered by something, which ended up preventing us from winning said biggest game of the year to date.

We whine and ***** about the "medical staff" when it comes to other situations, why not here? Why do our QB and our coach get a pass on this?

Makes no sense to me. I literally don't get how people aren't pissed beyond words about this.

I don't know anyone that loves the team and everything they do blindly.

I also don't know anyone else that HATES so passionately for them trying to win a game...

Don't have a h/a over hating cuz of a game

But hey, carry on.

I think of this team like most parents think of their children, me included. No matter what they do in life, what choices they make i will always love and support them ;) !

To be quite honest......this injury may be the best for the franchise in the long term.

Obviously it hurts us this year as we don't get to evaluate Mallett in the final stretch of games. BUT, it also stops other teams from evaluating him as well. There are 2 games of tape on him. One good and one bad. I doubt very much that a team is going to go after him hard in FA with the evidence available. If they do it will be on one of those short "prove it" type deals. I think we would probably win the competition on prove it deals and could bring Mallett back for another year.

That would give us another full season to evaluate him before making a decision. Meanwhile you have Fitzpatrick back next year as the backup and get to develop Savage for another year. If Mallett works out you sign him. If he doesn't then you have a two-year developed Savage to turn to.

To be quite honest......this injury may be the best for the franchise in the long term.

Obviously it hurts us this year as we don't get to evaluate Mallett in the final stretch of games. BUT, it also stops other teams from evaluating him as well. There are 2 games of tape on him. One good and one bad. I doubt very much that a team is going to go after him hard in FA with the evidence available. If they do it will be on one of those short "prove it" type deals. I think we would probably win the competition on prove it deals and could bring Mallett back for another year.

That would give us another full season to evaluate him before making a decision. Meanwhile you have Fitzpatrick back next year as the backup and get to develop Savage for another year. If Mallett works out you sign him. If he doesn't then you have a two-year developed Savage to turn to.

We could even draft another QB high and then throw them all into the mix at the beginning of the OTAs/TC and let the best man win.

I agree with everything but bringing Fitzpatrick back. It didn't make sense when we signed him last offseason, doesn't make sense to bring him back. If they haven't decided on Savage yet, then it's time to move on. The next stage of his development is as the back up, getting real reps in our system & preparing as if he's going to play on Sunday.

I don't know anyone that loves the team and everything they do blindly.

I also don't know anyone else that HATES so passionately for them trying to win a game...

Don't have a h/a over hating cuz of a game

They were trying to win a game so badly that they trotted out AND they stuck with the guy who was very obviously injured and unable to make accurate throws possession after possession.

Why isn't replacing a clearly ineffective, injured Ryan Mallett considered an in-game adjustment that has to be made in the biggest game of the year?

Yeah, SO AWESOME.

We may be able to re-sign Ryan Mallett for cheap this off-season. It's unlikely another team will overspend to sign him. Plus other teams in need of a quarterback may view him as a system quarterback that's only useful on a team like the Texans or Patriots, since he's already familiar with the system. Re-signing Ryan Mallett should be expected.

We can also draft a quarterback but in the first round? Only if there's a talent there we absolutely can't pass on. I'd probably draft one in the second round to compete with Tom Savage and Ryan Mallett going into next season. That's not to say I'm writing off Ryan Fitzpatrick just yet. We need him to play well in these final five games. I guess it just depends what our needs are going into the draft. Quarterback and secondary help would sure look good right about now among other needs. I don't feel like discussing every glaring weakness on this team as there are many. Injuries have made them seem unbearable at times.

I agree with everything but bringing Fitzpatrick back. It didn't make sense when we signed him last offseason, doesn't make sense to bring him back. If they haven't decided on Savage yet, then it's time to move on. The next stage of his development is as the back up, getting real reps in our system & preparing as if he's going to play on Sunday.
Giving up on a fourth-round pick so soon? Are you Rick Smith? We do that a lot with second, third and fourth-round picks. We may as well start to trade up for an additional late first-round pick rather than waste so many other early round picks.

Plays two games then out for the season, Mallett experiment has run it's course, time to move on.

Hate Mallett? He's been waiting for 3.5 years for a chance to prove he can be an NFL QB, finally gets it and the chance at a contract for millions and you expect him to willingly sit down? Ain't happening.

No kidding. Plus, if he did sit himself down most people would look at it saying that he's clearly not the type of competitor you want as your QB.

Of course he tried to play. It's up to the staff to decide if he should or not.

They were trying to win a game so badly that they trotted out AND they stuck with the guy who was very obviously injured and unable to make accurate throws possession after possession.

Why isn't replacing a clearly ineffective, injured Ryan Mallett considered an in-game adjustment that has to be made in the biggest game of the year?

Yeah, SO AWESOME.

You aren't getting his or others' point - it isn't about your particular opinion or about being upset. It's about the over the top rhetoric you employ like saying you hate Mallett, OB, etc. Just chill out a little.

I haven't given up on Mallet either. The very short evaluation period is not going to make next year's draft planning any easier though.

I agree with all of this. My guess is they cut ties with Fitz ($625,000 dead money), go into the draft with Mallett (re-signed to a short term deal) and Savage, and similar to this year, go for a QB early only if there's someone available to them they really like. If there is, then you've got essentially 3-way competition for starter. If not, sign a FA to be that third guy who might have a legit chance to win the competition. I know pickings are slim, but guys like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker could easily end up being upgrades over Fitz, plus there could be shake-outs in Philly, Washington and maybe (although probably not) Cleveland.

I know some folks are gonna scream bloody murder at even the suggestion we might wait another year to draft a QB in an early round, but I look at guys like E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker (Yeah - I know), and every QB the current version of the Cleveland Browns have ever drafted, and see far more damage coming from drafting the wrong QB early than not drafting one at all.

Yeah, I hope there's a QB available to us that whoever the GM is and O'brien absolutely love - even if it means trading up to get him. But if there's not, I don't want them to force it, and saddle us with a 3-4 year problem. The one nice thing about Fitz is that he's completely disposable. We can get rid of him after this year with almost no cap issues, and absolutely no fanbase issues. If we draft the wrong QB because "we just had to", that pain won't go away after a season or two.

I have not been on the board since before the game. But coming back today tor read this thread is hilarious. So much bi-polar here it's not even funny.

As far as those responding to my comments regarding reads. I appreciate the input, but I would appreciate if you actually watch the video before commenting. And even then, it's just your opinion, which is no more or less valid than mine. I am using up a considerable amount of my free time to produce these videos, and I call em' like I see em'. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

Several things backed up what I was saying in the Bengals game that are mental issues not physical. But then with the injury, who knows. I was not expecting anything less for someone who has had no playing time in 3 years and was not saying he could not correct these issues with more playing time.

I had something similar happen to me when I was about 16. During a baseball game I tore my pec during warmups as we threw the ball around the bases. Just out of the blue with no warnings, or prior pain. Just a pop and a lot of pain.

But hey, carry on.

Just curious, what makes you happy? Perhaps you could devote more time to that instead of football. Believe it or not, football is just a game.

Just curious, what makes you happy? Perhaps you could devote more time to that instead of football. Believe it or not, football is just a game.

You're not a "REAL FAN" unless you are 100% living vicariously through your sports team. :kitten:

But yeah, it is just a game at the end of the day. An entertainment diversion for profit.

You're not a "REAL FAN" unless you are 100% living vicariously through your sports team. :kitten:

But yeah, it is just a game at the end of the day. An entertainment diversion for profit.

Guess I'm not a real fan because I can't Hate the qb and coach for trying to win and failing :kitten:

I completely disagree Mallet has relationships here already, and offense he already knows, and no QB competition.. If he wants to play Houston is the best place for him and the injury does nothing but make our bad QB situation worse.

I'm not sure how you could see this as a good thing..

I completely disagree Mallet has relationships here already, and offense he already knows, and no QB competition.. If he wants to play Houston is the best place for him and the injury does nothing but make our bad QB situation worse.

I'm not sure how you could see this as a good thing..

Uhmm....what part of this is hurting our long-term situation??

Plenty of things.

Yeah, it's entertainment. That's why I want to watch wins so I can be entertained and not watch an obviously-hurt quarterback staying in the biggest game of the year to-date, being a detriment to the team and preventing the team I root for from winning and entertaining us.

But hey, go on. If Mallett were named Robert Griffin III and Bill O'Brien was named Mike Shanahan and the Texans were named the Redskins, this would be a much, much, much bigger deal and everyone involved would be (rightfully) crucified over it.

I just hope this teaches O'Brien that he better dig a little deeper into the injury status of his players. This is one of the worse player health decisions I can recall since they ran Dominic Davis-Williams' knees into the ground and ended his career.

IF O'Brien really knew that the kid's throwing ability was compromised and if he knew the pain got worse during warm-ups but sent him out there anyway, that's just flat inexcusable.

And one more thing, who made the smarter decision, Mallet for trying to play through pain when his body was telling him to sit down/get treated or Clowney, some weeks back, for having sense enough to listen to his body when it was telling him he wasn't ready to come back yet?

I just hope this teaches O'Brien that he better dig a little deeper into the injury status of his players. This is one of the worse player health decisions I can recall since they ran Dominic Davis-Williams' knees into the ground and ended his career.

IF O'Brien really knew that the kid's throwing ability was compromised and if he knew the pain got worse during warm-ups but sent him out there anyway, that's just flat inexcusable.

And one more thing, who made the smarter decision, Mallet for trying to play through pain when his body was telling him to sit down/get treated or Clowney, some weeks back, for having sense enough to listen to his body when it was telling him he wasn't ready to come back yet?

Clowney.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do.

I admire the hell out of Mallett for going out there hurt and trying to give it a go, even if it was probably due to the fact that he finally got a starting job and didn't want to give it up. I don't admire him for staying in or the coaching staff for keeping him in when his horrible performance was clearly costing the team.

That's really the long and short of it.

Why do I have the feeling that rick smith will go all nancy Pelosi and sign him to a big contract because we have to just to see what he is made out of?

Yes before someone blasts me ...I liked what I saw out of mallet after the first game. He got rid of the ball quick and was decisive. Last week I dont know what to think. High and hard is all I saw all game long. I was surprisedthat ..he didnt settle down. . Now I dont know

Why do I have the feeling that rick smith will go all nancy Pelosi and sign him to a big contract because we have to just to see what he is made out of?

Define big? or maybe unacceptably big?

I suspect they'll sign him to a well paid backup level contract of 1-2 years.

Yeah. Didn't Super Mario have the same injury? It took him out for the season, iirc.

Yes, in mid Oct 2011...........and then he came back in Bills' May voluntary minicamp (7.5 months post surgery) in 2012 and going on to have an impressive 46 tackle and 10.5 sack year. The Bills medical staff and FO had a enough darn good handle on the type of injury and surgery prognosis he carried in order to conclude that Mario should be able to return strong..........strong enough to justify the mega contract they offered him.

I believe that Mallet will carry into 2015 the same promise that he left us with following the Browns game. His upside should be unaffected and his future very bright. The only difference is that the Texans should be able to recontract with him at more reasonable terms, potentially laden with performance incentives for him accompanied by Texans being able to option extend his contract if he shows that he can be "The Man" going forward.

And as stupid as it sounds, I'm still not convinced we don't have our QB for the future. :shots:

I don't think it sounds stupid. I honestly feel the same way and hold out hope that he has a great recovery and is ready to show that he's the man next spring.

According to Adam Schefter last night on MNF, Mallett wants to play for the Texans next year. Hopefully they can come to a deal that is good for both sides and he's ready to go get it.

I don't think it sounds stupid. I honestly feel the same way and hold out hope that he has a great recovery and is ready to show that he's the man next spring.

According to Adam Schefter last night on MNF, Mallett wants to play for the Texans next year. Hopefully they can come to a deal that is good for both sides and he's ready to go get it.

He'd be crazy not to, imo. He knows the system by heart and he's familiar with some of the coaches. Like mentioned earlier, I think we'll lock him up for a couple years on a 'prove yourself' kind of deal. That said, the Texans need to go about the offseason like they do not have a franchise QB. Whether in the draft, FA or whatever's necessary to secure a plan B.

And according to Ian Rappaport, the Texans want him back...

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

#Texans didn’t get to find out if Ryan Mallett is their franchise QB. But they did inform him today they want him back for 2015, source says

To put things in some perspective (kind of, maybe), here's some contracts that were signed before the 2014 season:

Kyle Orton - 2 years, $11 Million, $3 Million guaranteed
Mark Sanchez - 1 year $2.25 Million, $750k guaranteed
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2 years $7.25 Million, $4 Million guranteed
Brandon Weeden - 2 years, $2.3 Million, none guaranteed
Michael Vick - 1 year, $4 Million, 100% guaranteed
Shaun Hill - 1 year, $1.75 Million, $500k guaranteed

I picked these because I believe these are all the contracts that commence in 2014, and were for QB's signed to be #2 QB's (as opposed to starters or #3 guys). Fitzpatrick may be the exception to that, as I'm guessing when he was signed either the starting position or the backup role was a possibility. Also, FWIW, everyone of these guys has started at least one game this year whether as a result of injury or ineffectiveness.

As you can see, this is kind of all over the board, and arguably, Fitzpatrick is the most similar, in that I would think if the Texans and Mallett can agree to a new deal, he'd be given the opportunity to win the starting job, but not guaranteed it, and similar to 2014, the possibility exists that a highly drafted rookie could be in the mix to compete for that starting job.

I'm expecting Fitzpatrick to be let go, and Mallett to be signed to a similar deal (maybe a few more incentives and a smaller guarantee) shortly after the Super Bowl.

Kyle Orton - 2 years, $11 Million, $3 Million guaranteed
Mark Sanchez - 1 year $2.25 Million, $750k guaranteed
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2 years $7.25 Million, $4 Million guranteed
Brandon Weeden - 2 years, $2.3 Million, none guaranteed
Michael Vick - 1 year, $4 Million, 100% guaranteed
Shaun Hill - 1 year, $1.75 Million, $500k guaranteed

I think you're looking at something between what Orton and Fitzpatrick got.

Back