Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

I think it's nearly a guarantee he will be our starter next year. I hope we can get him on a cap friendly two year deal for the time being that is incentive based. And if he tears it up(the field not his pecs) re-negotiate a long term deal after next season.

I've seen the occasional post that Mallett is going to cost a lot of money to keep. I think that is a very Texans-centric view that Mallett will command some huge salary. He's had one game that showed some promise. I doubt that teams are knocking on his door to sign him to some mega-contract. The Texans should be able to sign him to a reasonable contract. The fact that he's the best thing the Texans have seen in quite some time doesn't make him a hot commodity throughout the league.

I've seen the occasional post that Mallett is going to cost a lot of money to keep. I think that is a very Texans-centric view that Mallett will command some huge salary. He's had one game that showed some promise. I doubt that teams are knocking on his door to sign him to some mega-contract. The Texans should be able to sign him to a reasonable contract. The fact that he's the best thing the Texans have seen in quite some time doesn't make him a hot commodity throughout the league.

And he's stated that he likes the system here, he's not gonna play hard to get

This is the Texans we're talking about, right? The organization that gave Schaub and Cushing monster deals coming off injuries. I doubt they would have come close to that on the free agent market. I agree with your premise, but history is on the other side of the argument.

His off field don't concern me. I don't have an Arron Hernandez fears. His talent and ability is what scares me. Hasn't played meaningful football in a long time. Can he deliver or are we going to have a Rob Johnson type scenario?

His talent & ability were apparent in that one game. The only questions I have, is can he consistently process the games like he did then.

I think it's nearly a guarantee he will be our starter next year. I hope we can get him on a cap friendly two year deal for the time being that is incentive based. And if he tears it up(the field not his pecs) re-negotiate a long term deal after next season.

I don't understand a two year deal. If you're bullish, you want to lock him up for as long as possible at today's dollars. If he performs as expected, you're just looking at a big payday two years from now.

Instead, if we're bullish, we should be wanting to lock him up for four or six years. I understand there are questions about his future in the NFL, so we'd want to provide a way out, which is easy enough to do. Small-ish signing bonus, guaranteed money paid in the first two years. The bulk of the money would be in years 3+, dude would have two years to prove he's worth it.

This is the Texans we're talking about, right? The organization that gave Schaub and Cushing monster deals coming off injuries. I doubt they would have come close to that on the free agent market. I agree with your premise, but history is on the other side of the argument.

Matt Schaub's "monster deal" was half the value mediocre QBs like Flacco, Ryan, & Romo got. Before his injury Schaub was as good as the three, arguably better. We were able to dump him in year three and save money against the cap while doing so.

It was a gamble. If his injury turned out to be of no concern, we had him locked up for another three years at half the cost of Romo, Flacco, Cutler, & Ryan. & he's arguably better than that bunch.

I think Cush would have gotten that deal elsewhere. Schaub ... who knows but I suspect it would have been "in the ballpark." That doesn't make it smart. Just market.

I think Cush would have gotten that deal elsewhere. Schaub ... who knows but I suspect it would have been "in the ballpark." That doesn't make it smart. Just market.

Had the Texans not re-signed Schaub, he would have been coming off a season in which he started 16 games (18 including playoff games), had a 90 passer rating, close to a 2-1 TD/INT ratio, and he just led his team to a 12-4 record and a division title/playoff berth, and he had a playoff win under his belt.

Look at what Dalton and Cutler just got, compare their resumes to Schaub's (at that point in time), and tell me somebody wouldn't have given Schaub a boatload of money if they had the chance. You can tell me that, but I wouldn't believe it.

As you say, it may not have been smart, but that doesn't really have much to do with whether it would have happened or not.

I'm not part of the hindsight gang.

I'm much more part of the WTF the Texans are snakebit gang. Lots of stuff has gone wrong when any other NFL franchise, ANY, would have made similar decisions and it just hasn't worked out.

Damn, it's a game and one exceedingly hard to win the ultimate prize in.

I'm much more part of the WTF the Texans are snakebit gang. Lots of stuff has gone wrong when any other NFL franchise, ANY, would have made similar decisions and it just hasn't worked out.

Well, as soon as everything goes wrong, I reserve my right to insist my idea would have gone exactly the way I imagined.

It's the astrodome...:kitten:

Schaub and Cushing had seasons of solid, pro bowl level play on their side of the equation.
Mallett has ONE fairly decent game (against a mediocre opponent I might add) on his resume'. Mallett has very little bargaining power to demand a huge contract.

Matt Schaub's "monster deal" was half the value mediocre QBs like Flacco, Ryan, & Romo got. Before his injury Schaub was as good as the three, arguably better.
We're not talking about a contract prior to the injury. We're talking about a contract after the injury, sight unseen. And no one has ever put Schaub above Ryan or Romo. Flacco got his deal after one of the greatest postseasons ever. Had Schaub performed in the postseason, yeah he could have gotten a deal like that. Never happened.

Had the Texans not re-signed Schaub, he would have been coming off a season in which he started 16 games (18 including playoff games), had a 90 passer rating, close to a 2-1 TD/INT ratio, and he just led his team to a 12-4 record and a division title/playoff berth, and he had a playoff win under his belt.
A playoff win under his belt? I actually watched the game. Where he threw a pick 6 and put the Texans in a hole. The defense shutdown the Bengals (again) and that's why the Texans advanced to to the divisional round and got the butt kicking by the Pats.

Schaub had started the season strong. But by the end of the year, he fell off dramatically. Many thought he was playing hurt. As we know now, he had lost it. Likely due to the after effects of the foot injury. An injury that teams without the insight of the Texans crack medical staff may have completely passed on.

I'm not saying Schaub would not have gotten an offer. The will always be someone that can't see the obvious (Raiders). But, he wouldn't have gotten a contract with as much guaranteed as he did at the beginning of the year. Had the Texans lost Schaub to a team that outbid team, that would have been the best thing that could have happened. But, that's not how the Texans operate.

While I would like to see Mallett back, I would be cautious. Two games, one in which he played injured the entire game? Mallett does not warrant even middle of the road starter money, yet. If there's a team that will guarantee him $15 million+, the Texans should shake his hand and show him the door. They should. But what they'll probably do is bid against themselves, and give Mallett twice what would be available on the open market.

We're not talking about a contract prior to the injury. We're talking about a contract after the injury, sight unseen. And no one has ever put Schaub above Ryan or Romo. Flacco got his deal after one of the greatest postseasons ever. Had Schaub performed in the postseason, yeah he could have gotten a deal like that. Never happened.

The key point in my post was that Schaub was signed for half what those guys got. Had Rick Smith signed him to a deal equal, or even close I could understand the outrage.

The injury was the reason we were able to get such a deal on Matt Schaub.

The key point in my post was that Schaub was signed for half what those guys got. Had Rick Smith signed him to a deal equal, or even close I could understand the outrage.

The injury was the reason we were able to get such a deal on Matt Schaub.

And such a special deal it was!

wnd_a71de3965570a615889023fcd9ad0b90.jpg

A playoff win under his belt? I actually watched the game. Where he threw a pick 6 and put the Texans in a hole. The defense shutdown the Bengals (again) and that's why the Texans advanced to to the divisional round and got the butt kicking by the Pats.

Schaub had started the season strong. But by the end of the year, he fell off dramatically. Many thought he was playing hurt. As we know now, he had lost it. Likely due to the after effects of the foot injury. An injury that teams without the insight of the Texans crack medical staff may have completely passed on.

I'm not saying Schaub would not have gotten an offer. The will always be someone that can't see the obvious (Raiders). But, he wouldn't have gotten a contract with as much guaranteed as he did at the beginning of the year. Had the Texans lost Schaub to a team that outbid team, that would have been the best thing that could have happened. But, that's not how the Texans operate.

While I would like to see Mallett back, I would be cautious. Two games, one in which he played injured the entire game? Mallett does not warrant even middle of the road starter money, yet. If there's a team that will guarantee him $15 million+, the Texans should shake his hand and show him the door. They should. But what they'll probably do is bid against themselves, and give Mallett twice what would be available on the open market.

Schaub was Kubiak's guy and got paid because of this.

Regarding Mallett and Texans future, you know McNair's/Smith's Texans.

No need nor reason to give Mallett a big contract. Starter money but nothing more. One year deal with an option for a second. Maybe 2 million, all guaranteed for the first year

A little tidbit from OB's show this week -- Mallett asked the coach what he wanted him to do, with him being on IR and probably feeling a bit in limbo with no contract next year and can't play...

O'Brien told him he definitely wanted him to be around and in all the meetings and with the team and to help prep Case/Thaddeus. No biggie, but another implication about wanting Mallett back here next year, that he's of value to the team.

Strange all the talk about the premium position of QB and how an elite one is needed to go deep in playoffs and to then think any QB with Mallett's size and known skill set will not get good offer from teams in market. Would they not see/have same same wants needs Texans do?

Having said this, if OB wants him, McNair will pony up.

Strange all the talk about the premium position of QB and how an elite one is needed to go deep in playoffs and to then think any QB with Mallett's size and known skill set will not get good offer from teams in market. Would they not see/have same same wants needs Texans do?

The situation which throws a question mark over this whole scenario is that, using doc's time table for Mallet's rehab, he won't be cleared for full activity until approx June. Prior to this, he will be cleared for light weight lifting. I take this to mean he won't be cleared for throwing until he's cleared for full activity. It's possible, maybe, he might begin to easily toss the ball, prior to 6 months. But then doc adds that 100% recovery typically takes an additional 4 to 12 months after being cleared for full activity.

So anyone who signs Mallet, particularly early, must be prepared to have him IR'ed, or maybe not play if on the active roster, for the start of the season.

But I've also considered all the talk about the Texans drafting a QB in the first or second round. Mallet wants to start and if he thinks the Texans are going to draft a QB high in the draft, he may think twice about signing with the Texans. If I was him, I'd postpone making a decision until after the draft, to see what the Texans do.

...Would they not see/have same same wants needs Texans do?

I wouldn't want to put him in a WCO or read-option schemes, but I can see him getting interest from BUF, CHI maybe. But all arrows pointing to Texans, afaic, as long as we're willing to make a commitment to him.

Other teams probably don't think Mallett is elite at this time. The O'Brien connection counts a lot in his value to the Texans.

The situation which throws a question mark over this whole scenario is that, using doc's time table for Mallet's rehab, he won't be cleared for full activity until approx June. Prior to this, he will be cleared for light weight lifting. I take this to mean he won't be cleared for throwing until he's cleared for full activity. It's possible, maybe, he might begin to easily toss the ball, prior to 6 months. But then doc adds that 100% recovery typically takes an additional 4 to 12 months after being cleared for full activity.

So anyone who signs Mallet, particularly early, must be prepared to have him IR'ed, or maybe not play if on the active roster, for the start of the season.

But I've also considered all the talk about the Texans drafting a QB in the first or second round. Mallet wants to start and if he thinks the Texans are going to draft a QB high in the draft, he may think twice about signing with the Texans. If I was him, I'd postpone making a decision until after the draft, to see what the Texans do.

I'm not sure if there isn't some element of miscommunication or misinterpretation. So I'll offer the following.

With a torn pectoralis major muscle that is fully ruptured (Grade III), some try to rehab without surgery. With an elite athlete, especially one that uses their arm to throw such as a QB or baseball pitcher, they will be fortunate to come back to 40-70% (depending on study) strength and/or performance level. Rehab may be "forever" and, even so, with poor results even 2 years later. In fact, only ~25% may be expected to return with excellent results. With surgical repair, expectations for 95-100% return is not unreasonable. In fact, after completion of rehab, strength on the repaired side as compared to the uninjured side has been shown not uncommonly to be 102-115%.

Barring this injury to be very exceptional in nature (such as a very rare mid muscle rupture) or an unforeseen postoperative complication ensues, repair should return Mallet to pre-injury level of performance. Rehab should allow him to begin light weight lifting at ~4 months and return to play at ~6 months. Mallet who had surgery the end of November should have plenty of time during OTAs and TC to maximally strengthen and hone his skills to be prepared to start the 1st game of the 2015 season, if that is the Texans game plan.

Reactions: JB
I'm not sure if there isn't some element of miscommunication or misinterpretation. So I'll offer the following.

With a torn pectoralis major muscle that is fully ruptured (Grade III), some try to rehab without surgery. With an elite athlete, especially one that uses their arm to throw such as a QB or baseball pitcher, they will be fortunate to come back to 40-70% (depending on study) strength and/or performance level. Rehab may be "forever" and, even so, with poor results even 2 years later. In fact, only ~25% may be expected to return with excellent results. With surgical repair, expectations for 95-100% return is not unreasonable. In fact, after completion of rehab, strength on the repaired side as compared to the uninjured side has been shown not uncommonly to be 102-115%.

Barring this injury to be very exceptional in nature (such as a very rare mid muscle rupture) or an unforeseen postoperative complication ensues, repair should return Mallet to pre-injury level of performance. Rehab should allow him to begin light weight lifting at ~4 months and return to play at ~6 months. Mallet who had surgery the end of November should have plenty of time during OTAs and TC to maximally strengthen and hone his skills to be prepared to start the 1st game of the 2015 season, if that is the Texans game plan.

Whew! Thanks for clearing that up Doc!

Thanks for the clarification. My understanding was correct up through the 6 month mark. What I was uncertain of was the amount of time it normally takes to "maximally strengthen and hone his skills" and the impact this improvement process would have on his TC performance. I never doubted he wouldn't be prepared to start, just whether he would be back close to 100% of his former skill level.

Your clarification allows me to project, at the conclusion of TC, Mallet at #1, Savage at #3 and OB deciding between Fitz and Keenum for #2.

Last edited:

Doc, how would one go about getting this surgery on all their muscles? 115% strength sounds pretty good to me!

A little tidbit from OB's show this week -- Mallett asked the coach what he wanted him to do, with him being on IR and probably feeling a bit in limbo with no contract next year and can't play...

O'Brien told him he definitely wanted him to be around and in all the meetings and with the team and to help prep Case/Thaddeus. No biggie, but another implication about wanting Mallett back here next year, that he's of value to the team.

are you saying that O'Brien didn't request the same of Fitzpatrick?

Step away from the pigeon entrails.

that's not answering my question.
I figure anyone still under contract to us as QB is still attending the meetings and providing input to film breakdown and game planning.
Now... the weight given to any particular QB's input can be debated; but they're all in the meetings. I don't expect either Mallett or Fitzpatrick to stay home and sit on the couch just because they're on IR. If they did, I sure as hell wouldn't consider them for my team next season.

that's not answering my question.
I figure anyone still under contract to us as QB is still attending the meetings and providing input to film breakdown and game planning.
Now... the weight given to any particular QB's input can be debated; but they're all in the meetings. I don't expect either Mallett or Fitzpatrick to stay home and sit on the couch just because they're on IR. If they did, I sure as hell wouldn't consider them for my team next season.

I think the problem is that Fitz didn't have to ask. He knew what was expected of him. Mallett didn't.

And more pigeon entrails.

Stop trying to read too much into the tidbits we get fed. Damn y'all should have enough turkey to fill you up today.

Just to be clear, that's not what I think. I'm just trying to figure out why this is an issue with Obsi...

are you saying that O'Brien didn't request the same of Fitzpatrick?

No, he tacked Fitz onto it, too. It was more his tenor than the message -- reinforced what I think we all know that they want Mallett back, it's mutual, and he's been an asset teaching the other QBs.

No, he tacked Fitz onto it, too. It was more his tenor than the message -- reinforced what I think we all know that they want Mallett back, it's mutual, and he's been an asset teaching the other QBs.

makes me wonder that much more why there haven't been any whispers of Mallett/Texans contract talks.

then again, if our illustrious press corps haven't been asking the right questions there's nothing for O'Brien/Smith/Mallett to confirm or deny

makes me wonder that much more why there haven't been any whispers of Mallett/Texans contract talks.
Smith's policy is no contract talks during the season.

Then exit evals, then coach's roster evaluation, then contract talks(unless we address the GM position before). IMO.

Then exit evals, then coach's roster evaluation, then contract talks(unless we address the GM position before). IMO.

well, at least we found one thing Smith is definitely responsible for
:bubbles:

And that's what we know for normal not for only.

Seriously people learn the difference between a preference and a rule.

Anybody think what we saw in the first and second game for Mallett is Mallett.
It seems as though everyone is giving him a pass on the second game because of the injury. I am not so sure that what we saw in Mallett may just be Mallett. If we can get him for next to nothing then get him. If anything more let someone else pay him. Savage seems to be another mistake by upper management. Just my opinion.

Back