Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

your over thinking, Mallett does not have to give us a shot every Sunday, he just has to be better than Keenum was.

your over thinking, Mallett does not have to give us a shot every Sunday, he just has to be better than Keenum was.

Which means by Sunday he understands at least half the playbook and can look intelligent.

I hope the carpet is good this Sunday.

Do we have the most cynical fans in the world or am I just dreaming? :kitten:

Ever met Jets fans? Cleveland Browns fans? New Orleans Saints paper bag fans of the 80's/90's?

After a 2-14 season, we're still going to sell out NRG every game, almost every seat will be filled.

I feel the same way about Mallett I did with Keenum. Give him a shot this year and see what he does. Just don't give him 40% of the snaps.

And it's not just a 6th or a 7th... it's a 6th or a 7th TWO YEARS from now in 2016.

If Mallett has taken > 40% of our snaps in that period and won some games, then he's a steal. Otherwise, it's a freaking 2016 7th round pick.

Oh...
I totally missed the part where the pick is two years away.

never mind

Oh...
I totally missed the part where the pick is two years away.

never mind

Well... after reading some more about it, it appears that if it's a 7th round pick, it's in 2016 but if it's a 6th round pick, it's in 2015. I don't think I've ever seen that sort of escalator before. Very weird.

Either way, though, it's a bag of chips if he doesn't work out.

What do you think a practice squad QB does? Where do you think he is?

Do you think a practice squad player goes to some field on the other side of town and runs around all on his own all day throwing passes through hoops? No. He practices with the team.

As a QB, Mallett was in the quarterbacks room with all the other Patriots QBs. He got to sit there with Brady and Hoyer and Godsey as they studied tape and talked about the game plans. He got to go through OTAs and training camp getting reps and working on things as well.

Practice squad's, or scout squad's QB's primary purpose is to emulate what an opposing team does on offense. They are learning a variety of playbooks to help prepare their own team to what they will be seeing.

Which means by Sunday he understands at least half the playbook and can look intelligent.

I hope the carpet is good this Sunday.
maybe not even that as I for one had no expectation Keenum would play Sunday. I expect a win and Fitz to play 4 quarters.

Well... after reading some more about it, it appears that if it's a 7th round pick, it's in 2016 but if it's a 6th round pick, it's in 2015. I don't think I've ever seen that sort of escalator before. Very weird.

Yea and it's those baked ones to boot . Not those Lay's chips that you can't eat one , it's the baked chips have three in a pack .

I bet it smells like a fart when it gets opened.

Nope just people who want to watch some good football played by guys chosen well by the GM and trained well by coaches.

Yeah right. Half of Houston fans treat two years of damn good overall football with division titles with scorn and work to claim it's meaningless. It's sad. Houston really needs to learn to enjoy the moments as they come to you and get some friggin' perspective.

The gold ring wouldn't be special if it was easy to grab.

We're about to have some interesting times. I think people are foolish to be looking to next year's draft for a QB. OB just put together siblings of unrealized potential with huge arms. He backed his bet. Let's see how it rolls. Both these guys were drafted far below their talent level because of off the field issues.

Yeah right. Half of Houston fans treat two years of damn good overall football with division titles with scorn and work to claim it's meaningless. It's sad. Houston really needs to learn to enjoy the moments as they come to you and get some friggin' perspective.

I don't disagree but the gold ring has not been grabbed only looked upon & when we got close we immediately fell apart for whatever reason. Sure people over react, most of us do at some point .

It's hard to have perspective in Houston.

That's not true, man. The Toyota Center gave the Rockets a standing ovation when they were eliminated in the playoffs after their 2 championships. The fans here are the best. They are observant and they are smart.

We love our guys. We still have fond memories over Love ya Blue. Warren Moon and those early 90's Oilers.

The 2011 Texans made me extremely proud and I'll never forget that team. The 2012 team's season ended with a thud because they were too confident. I can't respect or get behind that kind of performance and even Duane Brown admitted they put their foot off the gas pedal and tried to coast. All I ask for is 100% effort. Give me and any other fan that, and we'll respect our team. Anything less...hard sell.

Practice squad's, or scout squad's QB's primary purpose is to emulate what an opposing team does on offense. They are learning a variety of playbooks to help prepare their own team to what they will be seeing.

The Scout Team is composed of more than just guys from the Practice Squad; it's mostly backups.

The Practice Squad guys are in their respective rooms, watching tape, breaking things down, and learning along with the other guys at their position group. They are not excluded from that. And if they develop, they'll be moved up to the 53 like Arian Foster was.

I bet it smells like a fart when it gets opened.

And what if it does?

The absolute worst case is that Fitzpatrick is our starter and Mallett can't take the #2 job away from Savage. In that case, the Patriots get a 2016 7th round draft choice.

The mediocre case is that he's better than Fitzpatrick but not by much.

If he's much better than Fitzpatrick, then a 2015 6th round draft choice is a steal.

That's not true, man. The Toyota Center gave the Rockets a standing ovation when they were eliminated in the playoffs after their 2 championships. The fans here are the best. They are observant and they are smart.

We love our guys. We still have fond memories over Love ya Blue. Warren Moon and those early 90's Oilers.

The 2011 Texans made me extremely proud and I'll never forget that team. The 2012 team's season ended with a thud because they were too confident. I can't respect or get behind that kind of performance and even Duane Brown admitted they put their foot off the gas pedal and tried to coast. All I ask for is 100% effort. Give me and any other fan that, and we'll respect our team. Anything less...hard sell.

I don't know about all that. I've no doubt there are pockets of fans that behave the way you're making them out but the general lot that I've come across all over town aren't quite so loyal or appreciative merely of effort. And they're far more likely to play the role of Henny Penny until a winning streak or a playoff berth is embarked and then it's off on an Academy raid to start showing off their new found unwavering loyalty.

It really is the hip sports thing in Houston to be the most cynical fan around so as to cry "I told you so" the loudest when they lose, but to then to turn around and bust out the biggest foam finger when the ball bounces our way.

And what if it does?

The absolute worst case is that Fitzpatrick is our starter and Mallett can't take the #2 job away from Savage. In that case, the Patriots get a 2016 7th round draft choice.

The mediocre case is that he's better than Fitzpatrick but not by much.

If he's much better than Fitzpatrick, then a 2015 6th round draft choice is a steal.

I know, I know. He has talent, I'm not down completely on the trade because it is for almost nothing. But I've never been a fan of Mallett and anytime Belichick trades a guy it doesn't bode well for the other team.

I don't know about all that. I've no doubt there are pockets of fans that behave the way you're making them out but the general lot that I've come across all over town aren't quite so loyal or appreciative merely of effort. And they're far more likely to play the role of Henny Penny until a winning streak or a playoff berth is embarked and then it's off on an Academy raid to start showing off their new found unwavering loyalty.

It really is the hip sports thing in Houston to be the most cynical fan around so as to cry "I told you so" the loudest when they lose, but to then to turn around and bust out the biggest foam finger when the ball bounces our way.

That's really surprising to me. Everyone I know are optimistic about the Texans and wear their gear win or lose. Even last year. And when I went out people were wearing their gear last year. I live in League City, guess it's just a "pocket".

I know, I know. He has talent, I'm not down completely on the trade because it is for almost nothing. But I've never been a fan of Mallett and anytime Belichick trades a guy it doesn't bode well for the other team.

Belicheat as a hc great, but Belicheat as a gm below average. If he didn't have Tom Brady he'd be in a lot of trouble with the bad personnel decisions he's make the last couple of years.

You really aren't comparing Mallet to Aaron Rodgers are you? Rodgers actually came in and produced a few times, unlike Mallet. Texans aiming for that number one pick again this year. Winston or Mariota.

Did I miss rodgers coming in and producing? I remember him coming in and getting hurt. I'm not comparing the 2,but the packers had questions about rodgers big time. Know how I know? Rodgers, a late1st rd pick that had been sitting for 3 yrs. They trade favre to the the jets,but they used a 2nd rd and a 7th rd pick on a qb. If an organziation is that certain about a qb,you don't spend a 2nd rd and a 7th on a qb the year he's set to start.

Belicheat as a hc great, but Belicheat as a gm below average. If he didn't have Tom Brady he'd be in a lot of trouble with the bad personnel decisions he's make the last couple of years.

Kraft gave Belichick complete control of the Patriots in 2000. He drafted Brady in 2000, Richard Seymoure and Matt Light in 2001, Deion Branch in 2002, Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel and Dan Koppen in 2003, Vince Wilfork and Ben Watson in 2004, and it goes on from there and he has always know when to drop his stars and when to move them. He is NOT a below average GM. Name 3 better GM's that have been in the league since 2000.

I don't know about the Rockets or Astros or Dynamo but I have never put as many people on ignore on a message board I frequent than I have here.

Kraft gave Belichick complete control of the Patriots in 2000. He drafted Brady in 2000, Richard Seymoure and Matt Light in 2001, Deion Branch in 2002, Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Asante Samuel and Dan Koppen in 2003, Vince Wilfork and Ben Watson in 2004, and it goes on from there and he has always know when to drop his stars and when to move them. He is NOT a below average GM. Name 3 better GM's that have been in the league since 2000.

Look at his current group of players and it's very lacking and look at I don't know oh say his last 4 or 5 drafts and it's pretty underwhelming. All the players on your list are over ten years ago you kinda proved my point for me. Ozzie Newsome, John Elway, Howie Roseman,Ted Thompson, & John Schneider and that is just off the top of my head of better gms.

Wow. 300+ posts about a back up QB.

This is getting stupid. Lots of QBS start as backups. Favre and Brady ring any bells? Jesus this is tired. Yeah Schaub was a backup...to the highest paid man in football. Brady will be in the hall of fame. Backing him up is not a sign of incompetence.

This is getting stupid. Lots of QBS start as backups. Favre and Brady ring any bells? Jesus this is tired. Yeah Schaub was a backup...to the highest paid man in football. Brady will be in the hall of fame. Backing him up is not a sign of incompetence.

The question is, though, what will he be HERE?

For a 7th round draft choice in 2016, it sounds like he's a backup to Fitzpatrick. I mean, if OB expected Mallett to be a Franchise guy, surely he'd give up more than a 7th to get him.

Even for a 2015 6th round draft choice, it doesn't sound like he's the QB of the future or anything. Not at that price.

Unless OBSmith pulled off the trade of the century.

Did we just pay a 6th round draft pick to upgrade our backup QB or our starting QB?

For a 7th round draft choice in 2016, it sounds like he's a backup to Fitzpatrick. I mean, if OB expected Mallett to be a Franchise guy, surely he'd give up more than a 7th to get him.

Even for a 2015 6th round draft choice, it doesn't sound like he's the QB of the future or anything. Not at that price.

Did we just pay a 6th round draft pick to upgrade our backup QB or our starting QB?

I hope he starts.

Case Keenum had a poor camp and didn't fit the system.

Mallett move is low risk. He is better than Keenum for this system and increases competition for the QB group as someone who knows the terminology. If he sucks, good bye, and if he's good, the team and him may find it mutually advantageous to put together a contract for him to stay.

Don't have high expectations, but clearly O'Brien is more familiar with him than I am. No downside.

Now if they can replace Ryan Fitzpatrick with Jeff George they'd have the all time arm strength QB team. /this is a joke

I don't think there is a question about it. I think they brought Mallett in to be the starter and those who think they brought him here to be the backup are kidding themselves. I could be wrong though it wouldn't be the first or last time.

Sent from the future...

Look at his current group of players and it's very lacking and look at I don't know oh say his last 4 or 5 drafts and it's pretty underwhelming. All the players on your list are over ten years ago you kinda proved my point for me. Ozzie Newsome, John Elway, Howie Roseman,Ted Thompson, & John Schneider and that is just off the top of my head of better gms.

Name me a team that has won more over the last 13 years than the Patriots. Very lacking? How come they consistently win over 10 games every year since Belichick took over? Just Brady? They went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

Look at the records of those GM's you mentioned and compare them against Belichick. You can't. Ozzie Newsome 2 Super Bowls since 1996 to now. Belichick 3 since 2000. Newsome wasn't pulling dual duty...he had one job. John Elway as GM? Serious? Roseman - no super bowls.

Belichick drafted Garropolo. The heir apparent to Brady.

I don't like the Hoody. But I respect him.

For every one Farve and Brady there are a thousand Cody Carlson's and Rob Johnson's.

To think a future hall of famer such as Mallett was to be had with a 7th round pick.

I think presuming that O'Brien has a concrete idea of what he's getting in Mallett is a big misconception so far. He and Godsey have evaluated him and spent legit time around him, which I'm sure is largely why they would even bother. But they can't be so buffoonish as to believe they know with 100% certainty what he'll bring to the table once he's here.

Best case scenario and he's starting at some point and the team is winning and he's worth considerably more than a 6th rounder and yes, it's the trade of the century. Worst case scenario and he's just a guy and nowhere near the price Belichick initially put on him. I'm confidant O'Brien's goal was further towards the former but that he knows better than to cave in to BB's demands when it was just a matter of time before it would be a buyer's market for the QB.

Name me a team that has won more over the last 13 years than the Patriots. Very lacking? How come they consistently win over 10 games every year since Belichick took over? Just Brady? They went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

Look at the records of those GM's you mentioned and compare them against Belichick. You can't. Ozzie Newsome 2 Super Bowls since 1996 to now. Belichick 3 since 2000. Newsome wasn't pulling dual duty...he had one job. John Elway as GM? Serious? Roseman - no super bowls.

Belichick drafted Garropolo. The heir apparent to Brady.

I don't like the Hoody. But I respect him.

Like I said he's a great hc, with maybe the best qb to play the game, but his personnel moves of the last few years are very unimpressive. By the way I'm a huge fan of him as a head coach. In my opinion he's the best hc in the nfl. I'm just not a fan of him as a gm.

Sent from the future...

You never know. Sure, everyone in here would agree the odds are he amounts to nothing... but you never know. If we used that same logic on guys like Chris Myers or Wade Smith, they should have amounted to nothing. Sure enough if Kubiak thought Foster was starter material, surely we'd use a draft pick on him... right? If Rick really thought Duane would be one of the best LTs in the league, surely he wouldn't have traded down before taking him.

This is what we do know of Mallet. Coming out of college, he had 1st round talent. Due to character concerns, he dropped to the 3rd round in the draft. When Belichick drafted him, I remember people were labeling it another "Genius Belichick Pick". He'll be the heir apparent to Brady. Mallet has never started a game in the NFL, nor played any real meaningful snaps. Sure, he hasn't looked great in the preseason, but how are people so sure he won't amount to much?

Both BOB and Godsey have coached Mallet, and they both think he's an upgrade over Case (for their system at least). That's all the convincing I need.

Case Keenum had a poor camp and didn't fit the system.

Mallett move is low risk. He is better than Keenum for this system and increases competition for the QB group as someone who knows the terminology. If he sucks, good bye, and if he's good, the team and him may find it mutually advantageous to put together a contract for him to stay.

Don't have high expectations, but clearly O'Brien is more familiar with him than I am. No downside.

Now if they can replace Ryan Fitzpatrick with Jeff George they'd have the all time arm strength QB team. /this is a joke

Doesn't he have to take more than 40% of the snaps before the pick can escalate into a 6th rounder? Assuming he does that its already a win unless Texans state @ QB position is so bad... but I'm thinking opposite of Susie Downer. If I recall if Mallet didn't have some off field issue he had a 2nd rd. grade coming out of Arkansas. I'm sure O'Brian has already worked on his footwork the one year he was there in New England before he left four Penn State. Watching Brady for three years had to help his play recognition & ability to run a pro-style offense. This was a gift to a former staff member of his (Bellichick) since he was in on this guy from the get go. 40% of the snaps is not out of the question, especially if he can fast track it being back with O'Brain?

Then that may be saying something about yourself.

How exactly would that be saying something about myself when there are like five other boards I visit daily, none of which I use the ignore function even remotely close to the amount I use it here?

That makes absolutely zero sense.

In one sense, Mallet has just made this season more complicated :

1. We have a #4 QB - Savage - waiting in the wings to gain the experience to start;

2. We have just signed a young QB - Mallet - in the last year of his contract who's going to demand a sizable financial commitment to resign;

3. We have a lot of forward thinking to determine whether we use next year's #1 draft pick on a QB.

So how is OB going to play his QB's this season. One would think he has to give Mallet sufficient playing time ( >40% ? ) in order to evaluate the young man's future with the Texans.

Do we resign Mallet, or extend his contract, or do we draft a QB next year?

Last edited:
18 pages in 14 hours. Surely there have been other threads that grew faster, but this is the fastest I've ever seen.

So, anyone bring up that Mallett is a FA when the season ends? Hate that Bellichick will be picking his new player while Mallett is already on another team.

Back