Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

I doubt that the lingo is going to be identical to what the pats use.
And even If that were the case, it takes tons of reps to develop
chemistry and timing.

Mallett had 3 years in the pats system and looked well behind the
guy the pats just brought in IMO

If Mallett Is starting in the first 6 weeks then it probably means
Fitz is on the IR

No he didnt...he hardly played this past preseason and when he did he looked fine...like a guy who hadn't played much over the last few years....The pats clearly made an effort to give Garapolo the majority of the reps to get him ready to be the #2 guy.

We got a little better at QB today getting rid of Keenum for Mallett and didn't give anything important up for him.

No one is arguing that the trade isn't advantageous if you're the Patriots; this is very much a win for them. Whether it's a win for us remains to be seen.

How is this a win for the Patriots? They draft a guy in the 3rd round and get a conditional 7th round pick in return for him?

Hello, I'm new to the group.....Not really, I've been a lurker for sometime now. I think everybody just needs to calm down and let the season play out. Whatever happens this year I think it will be an improvement from last year.

Schaub with a bum ankle and a noodle arm helped lead this team to a 12-4 record and win a playoff game.

I don't think Texans need a hall of fame QB to be successful. Play within the system and don't play outside your limitations.

Not the same. In preseason you have 3rd/4th string guys protecting your backup while he takes a lot of reps so he can learn a.s.a.p. Look at the hit Savage took because DJ didn't pick up his man. Look at our protection vs. the 49ers. Injury risk is higher in pre vs. real.

Had Garopollo been injured in Thursday's game, Patriots would have been up a creek without a backup QB had they dumped Mallett a month ago. It was the proper GM move to wait.

Fair enough - I just think it was more of a case of no one meeting their valuation for him. I can't remember them doing anything to calm the trade talks, and I feel that if someone had come in with the 2nd/3rd rounder they were supposedly asking for, they would have taken the risk in pre-season, knowing they had plenty of time to bring in someone else.

Hello, I'm new to the group.....Not really, I've been a lurker for sometime now. I think everybody just needs to calm down and let the season play out. Whatever happens this year I think it will be an improvement from last year.

Schaub with a bum ankle and a noodle arm helped lead this team to a 12-4 record and win a playoff game.

I don't think Texans need a hall of fame QB to be successful. Play within the system and don't play outside your limitations.
This is where I am. There are some very good football fans on this site, but they have much less knowledge and info than the Texan's staff does. I'll trust the staff for the time being.

meh.....whatever. It's not like we're going to the playoffs this year anyway. Maybe the Mullet turns out OK, who knows? I hated HATED the Schaub trade when it happened, then I loved it, then I hated it again.

I reserve the right to be outrageously wrong and make an ass of myself anyway. For now, I hate this.

Us old coots have perfected the art. At least we are good at something.

Once your blue eyes turn red and your red Johnson turns blue, you're screwed / or not.

:coffee:

This is where I am. There are some very good football fans on this site, but they have much less knowledge and info than the Texan's staff does. I'll trust the staff for the time being.

Until there is clear evidence that the Texans have a very good NFL QB playing on Sundays, many fans will view every decision/move/etc... as a failure because it didn't address the thing that matters most. They have no interest in dealing with the reality that there is seldom a great QB available in the draft, free agency, or via trade. I call it Tom Brady envy. The only cure is the next Drew Brees or Andrew Luck.

Until there is clear evidence that the Texans have a very good NFL QB playing on Sundays, many fans will view every decision/move/etc... as a failure because it didn't address the thing that matters most. They have no interest in dealing with the reality that there is seldom a great QB available in the draft, free agency, or via trade. I call it Tom Brady envy. The only cure is the next Drew Brees or Andrew Luck.
Yep. Ronsonol shall be in short supply until that QB is acquired.

Well it could be worse, Rick Smith could have cracked under the pressure and bought into the hype and drafted Johnny Football. Watching the few preseason games Manziel played in I wasn't impressed at all, not to mention all of his off the field distractions.

Honestly I feel AFC South is up for grabs. The Texans have a powder puff schedule with no real scary qbs .

The Texans will have the best defense by far in this division. I think this offense will generate enough points to be in a lot of ball games.

Yeah because there is nothing in between the two. That's a rather silly comparison as if Vick is the only definition of mobile quarterback like Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson so forth don't exist.

The person I was quoting was implying immobile QBs are bad.

They aren't.

A good static QB is good, better than a mobile quarterback who can't remain static.

I completely agree that his production remains to be seen, but I don't think Clowney's talent level is speculative at all.

But the point was moreso that the top of the heap at the QB position is so thin that I'd rather the team be patient in finding that guy in lieu of reaching and letting other areas of the team atrophy in the process. They were clearly not sold on the top few QB prospects at the top of the draft and so went in a direction that they were more convinced would strengthen the ball club.

Time will tell how correct the particulars of that decision were, but I agree 100% with the philosophy.
I was always a fan of drafting the best overall talent over the best player at a position of need. I agree that Clowney is that player. BPA is always my draft strategy, regardless of need. It's the smartest way to get good team mates. LOL

Having a hard time understanding why people are getting so upset over the Texans giving up a 7th (possibly 6th) round pick here.

Alex Brink

Troy Nolan

Dorin Dickerson

Derek Newton
Cheta Ozougwu

It's not like Houston has a history of finding gems in the 7th. All but one of the guys listed here aren't even on the team anymore (and most people don't want the one who is left). Houston is giving up basically nothing to take a shot on a QB with upside.

Having a hard time understanding why people are getting so upset over the Texans giving up a 7th (possibly 6th) round pick here.

Alex Brink

Troy Nolan

Dorin Dickerson

Derek Newton
Cheta Ozougwu

It's not like Houston has a history of finding gems in the 7th. All but one of the guys listed here aren't even on the team anymore (and most people don't want the one who is left). Houston is giving up basically nothing to take a shot on a QB with upside.

Who was our best 7th round pick in team history? Zac Diles?

How is this a win for the Patriots? They draft a guy in the 3rd round and get a conditional 7th round pick in return for him?

They got 3 yrs of "use" out of that pick. And they were either going to have to pay him next year or let him walk for nada. Now they at least have a pick they can pkg with other picks going forward.

They got something for nothing.

They got 3 yrs of "use" out of that pick. And they were either going to have to pay him next year or let him walk for nada. Now they at least have a pick they can pkg with other picks going forward.

It means they lost him a year early and get their compensatory pick a year early. That's a little something, but hardly making out like a bandit.

And if Mallett walks in 2015, we get the compensatory pick which might not be much lower than the regular 7th round pick they'd give up if Mallett doesn't start.

I'm not jumping for joy, but i'm just not seeing the downside with this move either.

They'd have gotten a helluva lot more "use" out of a WR or a CB pick.

Erm... didn't O'Brien serve as the OC for the Pats when Mallett was with them? If so, he's got more than 7 days of familiarity with the offense.

Mallett was activated for only one game with O'Brien as OC at NE. He was on the PS for 15 of 16 regular season games in 2011.

Then they used a 2nd rd. pick this year to replace Mallet for 7th conditional. Genius!

So? He was in the QB room and on the practice field with him, working with him, learning the offense.

How do you know O'Brien was personally working with a practice squad QB? I hope my OC is working with QB's and other offensive players that will actually see the field instead of with a scrub QB who seems to outlived his welcome in NE.

Mallet has only played in 4 games during his NFL career and only attempted 4 passes although he has had several years of backing up Tom Brady and hopefully learning from him. I think we are better off now but still can't believe what a circle Jerk cluster f*** the handling of this QB situation has been from day one. Still can't believe we didn't use our #1 pic on Blake Bortles. It should have been our #1 priority and biggest need. Hoping one of the 3 will work out though and we can win some games this year.

How do you know O'Brien was personally working with a practice squad QB? I hope my OC is working with QB's and other offensive players that will actually see the field instead of with a scrub QB who seems to outlived his welcome in NE.

He wasn't practice squad and Belichick had just spent the highest draft pick he ever used on a QB.

Mallet has only played in 4 games during his NFL career and only attempted 4 passes although he has had several years of backing up Tom Brady and hopefully learning from him. I think we are better off now but still can't believe what a circle Jerk cluster f*** the handling of this QB situation has been from day one. Still can't believe we didn't use our #1 pic on Blake Bortles. It should have been our #1 priority and biggest need. Hoping one of the 3 will work out though and we can win some games this year.

Hey our QB Guru head coach knows what he's doing.

What do you think a practice squad QB does? Where do you think he is?

Do you think a practice squad player goes to some field on the other side of town and runs around all on his own all day throwing passes through hoops? No. He practices with the team.

As a QB, Mallett was in the quarterbacks room with all the other Patriots QBs. He got to sit there with Brady and Hoyer and Godsey as they studied tape and talked about the game plans. He got to go through OTAs and training camp getting reps and working on things as well.

I have no problem with the trade. The risk is worth a 6th/7th rounder.

I'm still on record as saying that Mallett is garbage. But since he's with us now I would love to be proven wrong. I trust O'Brien so I'm just going to assume he knows what he's doing.

It's not like our QB situation could get worse by adding in a new guy.

A seventh if a bust on a flyer isn't bad at all. We only lose a 6th if he's starting 40% of the snaps which makes him a bargain. It isn't much more than getting him on waivers and we don't lose him to a last minute trade to someone else.

I'm OK with this, but wish Keenum had done better.

When I first saw the news all it said was "Texans trade for veteran QB" so I was like... :freakout: then I saw it was Mallet, I was like... :kitten:

However, he should be an upgrade over what they had. I'm just gonna take the wait and see approach. Hopefully in a few years, we'll be able to say that the Texans got over on the hoodie.

It is all about perspective.

We got a 6th round pick for Matt Schaub in this year's draft. We gave up a 7th or a 6th round pick for Ryan Mallet.

We know that Schaub wasn't a long term solution and last year he didn't look like he was a short term solution. He is likely going to back up the younger brother of our former QB. We don't know what Mallet is. He has no regular season experience, sure... because he was backing up Tom Brady. Fitzpatrick and Keenum have some experience. How many wins do they have combined? Keenum came in and replaced the guy we gave away for a 6th round pick and failed to win a game.

I was a fan of CK last year because we didn't know what he was. Now we do. Lets see what Mallet is. If he's nothing then lets move along. No extension, no great investment. A 6th round pick. Yes Brady was a 6th round pick. That is irrelevant. There have been around 500 6th round picks since Brady was picked. How many have been Brady?

The guy can sling the ball. If he has nothing upstairs then he is Jeff George or at the worst, he is Jamarcus Russel. Those are two #1 overall picks. I'm going to assume that since we brought him in that he isn't a Ryan Leaf or a Jeff George. Just relax and let it sort itself out. If not, then we won't draft Dorin Dickerson in two years. Oh the horror.

Mike

It is all about perspective.

We got a 6th round pick for Matt Schaub in this year's draft. We gave up a 7th or a 6th round pick for Ryan Mallet.

We know that Schaub wasn't a long term solution and last year he didn't look like he was a short term solution. He is likely going to back up the younger brother of our former QB. We don't know what Mallet is. He has no regular season experience, sure... because he was backing up Tom Brady. Fitzpatrick and Keenum have some experience. How many wins do they have combined? Keenum came in and replaced the guy we gave away for a 6th round pick and failed to win a game.

I was a fan of CK last year because we didn't know what he was. Now we do. Lets see what Mallet is. If he's nothing then lets move along. No extension, no great investment. A 6th round pick. Yes Brady was a 6th round pick. That is irrelevant. There have been around 500 6th round picks since Brady was picked. How many have been Brady?

The guy can sling the ball. If he has nothing upstairs then he is Jeff George or at the worst, he is Jamarcus Russel. Those are two #1 overall picks. I'm going to assume that since we brought him in that he isn't a Ryan Leaf or a Jeff George. Just relax and let it sort itself out. If not, then we won't draft Dorin Dickerson in two years. Oh the horror.

Mike

And it's not just a 6th or a 7th... it's a 6th or a 7th TWO YEARS from now in 2016.

If Mallett has taken > 40% of our snaps in that period and won some games, then he's a steal. Otherwise, it's a freaking 2016 7th round pick.

didn't see this coming, lol :sarcasm:

MSR

Tried to tell them.

I'm just glad that Smith/BOB are the screwers instead of scewee's. Unlike regimes in the past. Looking at you Asserly (P Buch/Titans trade for Bust filled OLB Babin)

Haven't lost on this one. Low cost/high reward.

I'm not confident to evaluate Mallet as a QB until we can find a picture of his GF. We all know that is the true test of a QB.

Found this though...

ryan-mallet-punish-erin-andrews.jpg

Also I did discover that, allegedly, Mallet was a manskank in college.

Yay Google.

Back