Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

No, I was commenting on a post that said Mallett is the best QB on our team now.

Mallett played himself out of the "heir to Tom Brady" role with a string of lackluster preseasons. The Texans acquired a strong armed QB with severe accuracy issues. Not really an improvement over anything we had on the roster. Patriots drafted him in the 3rd round in 2011. In 2014, they let him go for a conditional 7th round pick. That's telling. Basically all the Texans did is swap out one fringe back-up QB for another one.

yep. It's a no-brainer. I knew Case wouldn't make it but I just didn't know who would be available. I just couldn't see us going into OB's first season with Keenum. Case was competing against his position more-so than competing against the other QB's on this roster.

Billy gave Keenum multiple and ample opportunities to succeed, the last one being Thursday night in NRG, and Keenum just once again screwed the pooch. Got the picture pards ?

Billy gave Keenum multiple and ample opportunities to succeed, the last one being Thursday night in NRG, and Keenum just once again screwed the pooch. Got the picture pards ?

Doesn't matter.

Stock piling backup QBs is not the way to make your team better.

I have no problem with the trade. The risk is worth a 6th/7th rounder.

I'm still on record as saying that Mallett is garbage. But since he's with us now I would love to be proven wrong. I trust O'Brien so I'm just going to assume he knows what he's doing.

It's not like our QB situation could get worse by adding in a new guy.

This "plan" is full of holes, I'm afraid.

First of, Belichik had given up on his third round choice, Mallett.
He chooses to go into the season with a rookie to back up Brady.
He's willing to go for a 2016 conditional trade.
Is Belichik that dumb to give up on a future franchise QB?

So, if Mallett isn't a possible franchise QB, why bother with him?
You are not looking at a vet who had shown anything ever to perhaps come in if Fitz is injured and can play well enough to win.
Everything is just "hope".

There are many factors that make a player trade bait beyond his potential... Brady isn't going anywhere and the Pats decided to groom another young guy as backup who may be ready to take over in 3-4 years... All that decision says is that Mallett wasn't good enough to beat out Brady.

It would be foolish for teams to avoid dealing with New England out of respect for Belichick. There is no reason this shouldn't be a good deal for both teams. Your evaluation of Keenum is well outside of the bell curve and skews your view of this deal. Gaining a QB with good physical skills and experience in this system for a 6th-7th round pick is a good deal. They are taking on zero risk and grabbing a QB that they know and have worked with in the past (Godsey) to be the backup QB for this season. His contract fits easily in the salary cap... Smart move.

Emma-Stone-Shrugging-Gif-During-Gangster-Squad-Interview.gif

This "plan" is full of holes, I'm afraid.

First of, Belichik had given up on his third round choice, Mallett.
He chooses to go into the season with a rookie to back up Brady.
He's willing to go for a 2016 conditional trade.
Is Belichik that dumb to give up on a future franchise QB?

So, if Mallett isn't a possible franchise QB, why bother with him?
You are not looking at a vet who had shown anything ever to perhaps come in if Fitz is injured and can play well enough to win.
Everything is just "hope".

I'm afraid you got my "plan" all wrong. It wasn't to ride into the super bowl sunset with this move. It was to find a way to become more competitive than we were yesterday, and to do so for next to nothing.

Ask Logan Mankins if Belichik likes taking the cheaper option. Which is also what Garroppolo represents. Short of cutting Brady he wasn't going to hold onto both Mallett and Garoppolo.

I'm certain we're bothering with him for the reasons I already stated. Which again, is for peanuts. And sure it's hope, but when your starter is Ryan Fitzpatrick you're not getting sized for rings as it is.

Doesn't matter.

Exactly. If I thought for one second Mallett was an improvement, I'd be OK with it. Most especially since we aren't giving up much for him. But he's not an improvement, and the regular season starts in 7 days and we got a -- what? 3rd or 2nd string QB that hasn't even seen the frigging playbook yet.

Savage is not ready to be the backup. But hell, who am I kidding? Shitzpatrick isn't ready to be the starter.

I have no problem with the trade. The risk is worth a 6th/7th rounder.

I'm still on record as saying that Mallett is garbage. But since he's with us now I would love to be proven wrong. I trust O'Brien so I'm just going to assume he knows what he's doing.

It's not like our QB situation could get worse by adding in a new guy.

his trade price states his worth. I think that they may have wanted to take a shot on him but not for any serious draft pick.

yep. It's a no-brainer. I knew Case wouldn't make it but I just didn't know who would be available. I just couldn't see us going into OB's first season with Keenum. Case was competing against his position more-so than competing against the other QB's on this roster.

Case was the odd man out. Obrien sought Fitz and drafted Savage. As a Qb Guru and OC it was imperative that he get the QBs HE wants.

At the very least we won't see 20 yard drop back scramble sacks anymore. That's an improvement.

Meh...I've been in " in OB I trust" mode all preseason. No need to change just yet.
:texflag:

Things I've learned from this thread......

1. Thorn is out of weed.

2. Mollywhopper (Welcome to the board!) is a great board name.

3. I'm glad my wife isn't named Molly.

My point is, let's see how this thing plays out before passing judgement. There is evidence to suggest we are treading water with this move.......aaaaand a lack of evidence to support a conclusion.

Did we improve? Don't know. Did we go backwards? I don't see how, draft pick notwithstanding. Did Rick Smith make a move to address the problem, yes. Did he get a superstar? No (see JJ Watt still in a Texans uniform.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some weed to find before a friend ends up on the six o'clock news. :D

Things I've learned from this thread......

1. Thorn is out of weed.

2. Mollywhopper (Welcome to the board!) is a great board name.

3. I'm glad my wife isn't named Molly.

My point is, let's see how this thing plays out before passing judgement. There is evidence to suggest we are treading water with this move.......aaaaand a lack of evidence to support a conclusion.

Did we improve? Don't know. Did we go backwards? I don't see how, draft pick notwithstanding. Did Rick Smith make a move to address the problem, yes. Did he get a superstar? No (see JJ Watt still in a Texans uniform.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some weed to find before a friend ends up on the six o'clock news. :D

:toast2:

Case was the odd man out. Obrien sought Fitz and drafted Savage. As a Qb Guru and OC it was imperative that he get the QBs HE wants.

A shortsighted OC, may be; but not a QB guru, IMO.

Now, Savage, maybe.
If OB saw good traits in him, and think that he can make a young guy better.
Fine.

Don't forget that he recruited Hackenberg at Penn St., who was a blue-chip.
Now, that was a good plan.

Replacing a "backup" (Keenum) who is short with another backup (Mallett) who is tall with one year less in service - and who hasn't even shown of being a capable backup, I'm sorry, IMO, is throwing dart.

I don't have to be a Keenum's fan to hate this plan of "hope and change".

What does OB expect to gain with Mallett, a guy that Belichik had given up on as possible franchise QB.

We don't need another backup QB.
Whatever it is that you buy on sale that you don't need is a waste; that's my thinking, always.

Doesn't matter.

What would you have done today to potential improve the QB position?

If your answer is nothing- then this thread is not the place to complain about the Texans' QB position.

Difference being considered a backup to Brady than being a backup to Fitzpatrick

I am not saying mallet will be a world beater but we have to give the Texans oreos for not sitting on their hands

I don't disagree with you all that often but on this one, anytime you upgrade a position, even slightly, you make your team Better.

See my last post.

But also, is there anything that you have seen so far from Mallett to even say that he's a marginal upgrade over Keenum?

I like to see that.

If your answer is nothing- then this thread is not the place to complain about the Texans' QB position.

Obviously my thinking has always been different from OB.
So whichever way I'm operating out of, I'm at a disadvantage.

Like I've stated many times, I think the Texans can make the playoffs this year with Fitz (even though he wasn't my choice), but the D and the ST will have to play well.

If the D and the ST can play well, I don't see why Keenum can't get the job done either.

Mallett is not a long term solution, why waste your time?

Hopefully, not in 2014.

Yes, although they signed Keith Wenning to their practice squad, have Tyrod Taylor as #2. Guess we'll see what Gary thinks of him now?

Maybe you have more faith in Ryan Fitzpatrick than I do, but starting Mallett can't hurt our chances in 2014.

Like I've stated many times, I think the Texans can make the playoffs this year with Fitz (even though he wasn't my choice), but the D and the ST will have to play well.

If the D and the ST can play well, I don't see why Keenum can't get the job done either.

Same could be said for Fitzpatrick or Keenum. At least you have some potential that Mallett won't completely suck.

Maybe you have more faith in Ryan Fitzpatrick than I do, but starting Mallett can't hurt our chances in 2014.

Honestly, I not so sure that would hurt anything either. Pitzfatrick is rubbish, Doc Savage isn't ready yet, so I'm not seeing the downside (at this point) of any three of them starting.

Mallett has more of a chance to be a long term solution than Keenum does. You can point to no real game time to see what he really is and say that's bad. But keep in mind we have 8 games of Keenum's too look at, and now all of preseason, so we know exactly what we have there. Certainly more upside with Mallett than Keenum, especially for peanuts. No two ways about it IMHO.

A shortsighted OC, may be; but not a QB guru, IMO.

Now, Savage, maybe.
If OB saw good traits in him, and think that he can make a young guy better.
Fine.

Don't forget that he recruited Hackenberg at Penn St., who was a blue-chip.
Now, that was a good plan.

Replacing a "backup" (Keenum) who is short with another backup (Mallett) who is tall with one year less in service - and who hasn't even shown of being a capable backup, I'm sorry, IMO, is throwing dart.

I don't have to be a Keenum's fan to hate this plan of "hope and change".

What does OB expect to gain with Mallett, a guy that Belichik had given up on as possible franchise QB.

We don't need another backup QB.
Whatever it is that you buy on sale that you don't need is a waste; that's my thinking, always.

Is there the possibility that Belichik already has his franchise QB?? I get the he isn't a savior reason but for a conditional 7th round pick, I just don't understand the angst.

Scenario, someone tells me about a 6'6 QB with a cannon arm who completed 65% passes for almost 4,000 yds at a 9.4 yds per catch and he threw 32 TDs to 12 INTs (college). I have to give up a 6th two drafts from now for him or maybe a 7th.

I do that every single time. In fact, if another deal just like it came up I do it again right now.

I am more concerned about O'Brien's rep as a QB guru.

See my last post.

But also, is there anything that you have seen so far from Mallett to even say that he's a marginal upgrade over Keenum?

I like to see that.

Dude you are way too good a football aficionado to ask that question, have you seen Case play??? What else do you have to see from him to give someone/anyone else a try??

Exactly. If I thought for one second Mallett was an improvement, I'd be OK with it. Most especially since we aren't giving up much for him. But he's not an improvement, and the regular season starts in 7 days and we got a -- what? 3rd or 2nd string QB that hasn't even seen the frigging playbook yet.

Savage is not ready to be the backup. But hell, who am I kidding? Shitzpatrick isn't ready to be the starter.

Two guys with first-hand exposure to him (one with pretty significant exposure) say he is. I'm more than happy to see how it plays out.

Case was simply not good. It's not gonna take much to be an improvement.

But, it's all water under the bridge.
I'm not the HC.
But if I was, I would be looking for O-line help, a physical WR who may give AJ a breather (like that dude Brandon Coleman, who is a work in project.)
Thomas and Martin are somewhat redundant, especially now that we pick up that return guy.

I mean, there are things a team can do to help the QB.

I think the staff shares your concern for efficient use of their time and resources... that's why they traded for a guy who has been in the system for 3 years and released a guy attempting who has been in the system for 3 months... It's not an expectant grab for a future QB but an immediate upgrade at backup QB... SO, if anything happens to Fitz (injury or ineffectiveness), the game plan won't be limited due to the backup.

It all comes down to whether you think OB and Godsey know what they're doing or not.

Those two guys have seen a lot more of Mallett and worked directly with him than anyone on this board has, and more than anyone on twitter has. They've seen a lot more of Case Keenum and worked directly with him more than anyone on this board has and more than anyone on twitter has.

And the same with Fitzpatrick.

If those guys think this is an improvement and you think they're wrong, then you have to think they're idiots or morons to make this move. If you think they have any sort of expertise or knowledge, then you have to trust them. I don't see how you don't.

I haven't seen this posted yet (apologies if I missed it).

The Houston Texans and free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick have agreed to a two-year, $7.5 million deal, The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported Thursday. According to McClain, $4.5 million of the $7.5 million is guaranteed.

LINK

Can't say that I'm fully understanding the timing of the move here.

The trade for Mallett made more sense a month ago, with pre-season left to go. Now we are still in a 3 QB situation (unless Savage is cut), with a much less clear position of where the future is headed (unless, as some have been saying, we're in full on rebuild mode, and the future franchise QB is still in college).

Pretty good price for Mallett though. Has the potential upside of not having played meaningful regular season snaps and turning out to do better under that situation than the mad pre-season games, and did cost us less than Savage.

Well, I just watched Mallet in the Pats preseason game against Philly and the kid can dang sure sling it a country mile (but so could that JaMarcus guy out of LSU...whatever happened to him?) and he can move some.

The Pats ran the ball flat down the Iggles throats.

So now we have Mallett and Savage for BoB to play with. Let us pray to the football gods that Fitzbeard doesn't get hurt early in the season.

Then, on the other hand, I still have five fingers. I need to reload.

The trade for Mallett made more sense a month ago, with pre-season left to go.
Now we are still in a 3 QB situation (unless Savage is cut), with a much less clear position of where the future is headed (unless, as some have been saying, we're in full on rebuild mode, and the future franchise QB is still in college).

Pretty good price for Mallett though. Has the potential upside of not having played meaningful regular season snaps and turning out to do better under that situation than the mad pre-season games, and did cost us less than Savage.
It takes two to Tango. We have no idea what BB's asking price was earlier in PS, but it looks like BB decided to drop his price in order to get something for Mallet instead of just letting him walk after the season.

What surprises me is NE going with only the rookie as backup QB after trading Mankins to Tampa.

So now we have Mallett and Savage for BoB to play with. Let us pray to the football gods that Fitzbeard doesn't get hurt early in the season.

Then, on the other hand, I still have five fingers. I need to reload.

you don't have to pray Thorn, all 3 of them are NFL back ups at this stage in each respective career. Fitz is a post-starter Neil O'Donnell and Mallett and Savage are here on potential. Mallett has been in this system longer than Fitz, so it may make no difference (outside of Savage).

The trade for Mallett made more sense a month ago, with pre-season left to go. Now we are still in a 3 QB situation (unless Savage is cut), with a much less clear position of where the future is headed (unless, as some have been saying, we're in full on rebuild mode, and the future franchise QB is still in college).

The timing of the move is because it probably wouldn't have been a pretty good price for Mallett if the move had been forced a month ago.

So either we force the move into play a month or so ago and the value isn't there or we wait for the price to drop and we try and get the new guy up to speed as quickly as possible, while hoping Fitzpatrick doesn't dump the season into the flats towards an 0-4 start.

I also wish the trade happened back in May and maybe Ryan Mallett would be starting next Sunday against the Redskins. I'm not too thrilled with Ryan Fitzpatrick starting but I have no choice but to cheer for him. The Texans winning game is all that matters to me right now. Let's just beat the Redskins next Sunday and end our active 14-game losing streak. 1-0 to start 2014 would make us all feel better. It's a team game and I think our defense is going to become one of the better defenses in the entire league. And for a long time. As in the next seven or eight years.

Back