Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

I'm fine with the move. Physically he's everything O'Brien wants in his QB. Mentally is another story. Maybe he can put it all together.

He's an upgrade over Keenum though. JMO.

Edited OP to reflect this...

Paul Perillo ‏@pfwpaul
And the Mallett draft choice is for 2016

Pick for Mallett looks like a conditional choice that will be a 7th round pick unless he plays 40% of the snaps for Houston, which would make it a 6th

So, anybody wants to guess of this "plan" that OB has been talking about?

He signed a middle of the road vet, getting tied up with the cap money.
He drafted Savage in the fourth round.
Now he traded for Mallett, who will be a free agent next year.

Throwing dart?

seems that way...Although I would think Mallet could be more of a bullseye than Fitzpatrick and Savage (at the moment)...

or this could be a throw that ricochets off the board all together and hits Jimmy the Drunk in the head with the dart with all 3 QBs...

Knew this would happen all along. Keenum to the Ravens. :mcclain:

I suppose it could work out that way, but I've never understood the line of thinking that Kubiak can't wait to get his hands on Case. There's a fairly widely held belief that one of the reasons Kubiak was fired mid-season was because he chose to bench him against the owner's wishes. Doesn't sound like he'd advocate too strongly to Harbaugh or Newsome.

While I never thought Kubes had anything against him, I never really saw him as a big Case supporter either.

bah humbug. Mullet doesn't know crap about our system. Do you really think BoB just copied the Pats playbook when he left, then dusted it off after Penn state? At least the crappy QBs we already have (almost) know the playbook.

Disagree.

I think OB has been using essentially the same offense the entire time. That's why McGloin was attractive as an option, he used this offense at Penn State.

I think Mallett already knows this playbook better than any QB already on our team.

bah humbug. Mullet doesn't know crap about our system. Do you really think BoB just copied the Pats playbook when he left, then dusted it off after Penn state? At least the crappy QBs we already have (almost) know the playbook.

guess we are about to find out...

so you are ok with 3 QBs who are just learning O'Brein's system this year rather have a young kid that has been in the same system for the last 3 years and sat behind arguably on of the greatest QBs in the history of the game?

alright....BUT Mallet already knowing the system is a huge advantage over Savage and Fitzpatrick, plus has a better arm than both...

I may be naive, but I can't imagine it being the same system. The Pats have evolved, BoB has evolved and he wouldn't want the Pats to know what we are running here.

Our system may be more similar to the one from the Pats than to the one from the Seahawks, but there should still be lots of learning involved. And getting familiar with the receivers. I don't think he will be ready for at least 4 weeks, and even after that it's a stretch.

If that is true, we are truly fu@ked! :smiliepalm:

Like we weren't before ? I spew drunken koolaid all over the message board and always have the highest hopes. BUT i never counted on any of our QBs winning for us this season, i figured it would take a whole lot of good defense and ST play as well. This trade changes nothing for me as far as that thinking goes.

So, anybody wants to guess of this "plan" that OB has been talking about?

He signed a middle of the road vet, getting tied up with the cap money.
He drafted Savage in the fourth round.
Now he traded for Mallett, who will be a free agent next year.

Throwing dart?

You never know until you throw. I don't confuse activity with progress, but in my sport life I've paced the floor for months on end waiting for obvious problems to be addressed on various teams. Usually the result was tired feet.

This is no endorsement of Rick Smith, but in this case I like the effort.

Disagree.

I think OB has been using essentially the same offense the entire time. That's why McGloin was attractive as an option, he used this offense at Penn State.

I think Mallett already knows this playbook better than any QB already on our team.

meh.....whatever. It's not like we're going to the playoffs this year anyway. Maybe the Mullet turns out OK, who knows? I hated HATED the Schaub trade when it happened, then I loved it, then I hated it again.

I reserve the right to be outrageously wrong and make an ass of myself anyway. For now, I hate this.

I can't believe this late, right before the season starts, we trade for a crappy 3rd string QB when we already have three of them on our team already.

I am gonna ***** up a storm about this horseshit in here.

Didn't you hate the Schaub trade at the beginning too?

I may be naive, but I can't imagine it being the same system. The Pats have evolved, BoB has evolved and he wouldn't want the Pats to know what we are running here.

Our system may be more similar to the one from the Pats than to the one from the Seahawks, but there should still be lots of learning involved. And getting familiar with the receivers. I don't think he will be ready for at least 4 weeks, and even after that it's a stretch.

No I agree, I think the jargon will be familiar to Mallet, the adjusting to WRs and the team will take a while.

Unless you are part of the Keenum Cult. Lot's of p!ssed off fans you can bet.

Firget those guys what matters is what's best for the team. I would like for the keenum experiment to have worked bc he's a Coog but it didn't go well.

Also, I'm pretty certain Fitz will remain the starter for the time being. Get Mallett up to speed and if, in a month or so, Fitz is still awful then you start Mallett.

If that is true, we are truly fu@ked! :smiliepalm:

Really???? Your this upset about a 7th round pick in 2016 and if he turns out 1/2 way decent we give up a 6th rounder?? No offense but he can't possibly be as bad as C.Keenum. JMO Thorn JMO

And the Mallett draft choice is for 2016

Pick for Mallett looks like a conditional choice that will be a 7th round pick unless he plays 40% of the snaps for Houston, which would make it a 6th

Also, if Mallet leaves via free agency in 2015 the Texans will receive the compensatory pick -- likely a 7th rounder.

Firget those guys what matters is what's best for the team. I would like for the keenum experiment to have worked bc he's a Coog but it didn't go well.

in Bob McNairs perfect world...

Case Keenum would have won the Super Bowl with the Houston Texans while Gary Kubiak was the HC in the same year Houston was hosting the SB while drinking Battle Red kool-aide in the press box...

could have wrote movies about that scenario...

I have no idea how you can hate this deal? Unless you were drinking the Case Koolaid. Case started 8 games to prove himself, while Mallet has yet to start a game (or even take a meaningful snap). We need a QB, Case was given a chance and didn't capitalize. Let's give another guy a shot. If it doesn't work out, we lose a 7th rounder. Great move!

My boy Keenum is gone now. He ain't getting rid of Fitzbeard or his draft choice. And he sure as hell isn't keeping four QBs on the final roster.

Oh well. Nice cheering for you Keenum. Good luck dude.

I've been pretty down since we chose O'Brien as our next head coach, then we didn't elect to take a QB in the 1st round. When we decided to start Pickspatrick, I broke out the razor blades. I'm actually pleased we're trying to do something. It may turn into nothing, but effort on the FO's part gives me a glimmer of hope... but the razor blades are still out of the box... :)

I have no idea how you can hate this deal? Unless you were drinking the Case Koolaid. Case started 8 games to prove himself, while Mallet has yet to start a game (or even take a meaningful snap). We need a QB, Case was given a chance and didn't capitalize. Let's give another guy a shot. If it doesn't work out, we lose a 7th rounder. Great move!

The only way this deal could be better is for Belichick to release Mallett and the Texans claim him. No 7th conditional pick involved.

Oh good lord. Why? What the hell has Mullet got over what we already have? He's not an improvement over the crap we already have at QB, and we're giving up a draft choice for him?

This is stupid. I totally disagree with this move. Especially this late.

He has a size advantage over Keenum. NFL talent evaluators rated him much higher than Keenum... and, he studied behind Tom Brady (in the system Houston is currently running) for 3 years.

Also, we aren't really giving anything up. We are basically paying the Patriots for the compensatory pick they expected to get next year when Mallett signed to play elsewhere. Assuming Mallett doesn't get re-signed in Houston this year, he will become a free agent. It is likely he will get a deal north of $1 million per year, and the Texans will receive a compensatory pick for him... a contract for 2yrs and $5 million would likely earn a 6th round pick.

My boy Keenum is gone now. He ain't getting rid of Fitzbeard or his draft choice. And he sure as hell isn't keeping four QBs on the final roster.

Oh well. Nice cheering for you Keenum. Good luck dude.

You're late to the party Thorn, he's already gone. Bucky Richardson isn't good enough, oooops sorry, I meant Case Keenum.

I'm with you on this Thorn, although i am not upset about it for a 7th round pick. Just indifferent about the whole thing.

Unless O'brien saw something in the kid back in the day that makes him believe he is the next Tom Brady, which is very possible. Oh well it is what it is, guess we'll see what happens.

I'm good with this move. Mallett is the guy they wanted all along, OB is familiar with him, our QB coach is familiar with him, and all we are giving up is a conditional 6th.

Obviously OB doesn't think he is the next Tom Brady or he would have given up the 2nd round pick that NE wanted originally. I think they played it smart by signing a vet and not giving in to NE's demands. In the end they got the guy they wanted for next to nothing. I hope we sign him to a very reasonable cap friendly contract. He can't be too excited about going into free agency next year after seeing that his value in this league is that of a 2016 conditional 6th round pick.

A 7th round pick in 2016...boy, they thought highly of him.

".......in the 6th round......the 199th pick of the 2000 NFL Draft presented by Nike and the fans money.......the New England Patriots select quarterback Tom Brady, whoeverthehellthatis." :D

Reactions: TD
Also, if Mallet leaves via free agency in 2015 the Texans will receive the compensatory pick -- likely a 7th rounder.

Ya, mean OB will showcase Mallett enough to lose a sixth to get compensated with a 7th?
:cow:

Or Mallett get signed for a fairly decent contract without playing hardly?

Either way, that comp pick doesn't make sense to me.

meh.....whatever. It's not like we're going to the playoffs this year anyway. Maybe the Mullet turns out OK, who knows? I hated HATED the Schaub trade when it happened, then I loved it, then I hated it again.

I reserve the right to be outrageously wrong and make an ass of myself anyway. For now, I hate this.

I'm not sure what's to hate here, unless anyone's losing sleep over a 6th round pick two years from now.

The kid's got more upside than Fitz or Keenum and he's further along by miles over Savage. He was a first round talent that slipped who has had the opportunity to learn from the best HC/QB combo since Walsh/Montana, our HC and QBC are familiar with him, and he with our system, and we got him for peanuts.

He may not be the savior but he brings a sliver of hope to look out for while Savage learns the league and next year we go in with Mallet/Savage and presumably a competitive, drafted QB. Oh yea, and for peanuts.

Yep....its not like we gave up two 2nd round picks for some also-ran's backup QB. :cool:

ZERO downside to this deal.

No, I was commenting on a post that said Mallett is the best QB on our team now.

Pop a Aleve and I'll see you in the morning. The aleve is for the pain of being butthurt from the release of an udfa that had no business on an nfl football field. :vincepalm:

Ok, I have seen absolutely zero film on this guy. Anyone have a particular YouTube vid that stands out?

I'm not sure what's to hate here, unless anyone's losing sleep over a 6th round pick two years from now.

The kid's got more upside than Fitz or Keenum and he's further along by miles over Savage. He was a first round talent that slipped who has had the opportunity to learn from the best HC/QB combo since Walsh/Montana, our HC and QBC are familiar with him, and he with our system, and we got him for peanuts.

He may not be the savior but he brings a sliver of hope to look out for while Savage learns the league and next year we go in with Mallet/Savage and presumably a competitive, drafted QB. Oh yea, and for peanuts.
This "plan" is full of holes, I'm afraid.

First of, Belichik had given up on his third round choice, Mallett.
He chooses to go into the season with a rookie to back up Brady.
He's willing to go for a 2016 conditional trade.
Is Belichik that dumb to give up on a future franchise QB?

So, if Mallett isn't a possible franchise QB, why bother with him?
You are not looking at a vet who had shown anything ever to perhaps come in if Fitz is injured and can play well enough to win.
Everything is just "hope".

yep. It's a no-brainer. I knew Case wouldn't make it but I just didn't know who would be available. I just couldn't see us going into OB's first season with Keenum. Case was competing against his position more-so than competing against the other QB's on this roster.

Some of you people can just kiss my damn ass. LOL

And don't think you've heard the last of this from me.

funny-keep-talking-worse.jpg

Yep....its not like we gave up two 2nd round picks for some also-ran's backup QB. :cool:

The down side is to waste your time, like you did with Fitz.

Save your pick (including Savage) and your cap (Fitz's salary) and either make a play for a better name back then in FA, draft a QB early (in the last draft), or just muddy along with a cheap FA vet, Keenum, and Yates.

I had stated that I would rather the Texans to trade away for as many future draft picks S possible to get a guy like Mariota in the next draft.
(Or maybe Petty, if he continues to grow this year.)

Back