Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie Mini-Camp

Howard looks like a good RT.
Scharping is probably best suited for RG, but I think he could probably hold his own at RT as well.
I hope I'm wrong but don't see a left tackle when I watch either guy.

Howard looks like a good RT.
Scharping is probably best suited for RG, but I think he could probably hold his own at RT as well.
I hope I'm wrong but don't see a left tackle when I watch either guy.

Care to lead me to 4 full games of Howard's tape?

If you're right and Howard and Scharping can solidify the right side of the OL for the next decade I would be happy with this draft. I also would fire Devlin and try to get the most experienced OL coach with a winning pedigree to replace him (Hudson Houck comes to mind) and continue on in my never ending quest at looking for an above avg LT.

Last I looked players fail in every organization. The failure obviously was drafting him in the second round.

Yes, just another rd 2-4 failure by the former GM.

The fact that they passed on Jimmy G and used the 33rd pick on his failure is what really set this team back for 4 yrs.

So his lack of development had nothing to do with coaching and how he was handled? OK

Good god you're such a mouth piece for the Texans org. If XSF wasn't good (Which he wasn't) why did they keep him around so long. Will they ever learn to admit their mistakes and quickly move on?
Nope, not a mouthpiece. I just happen to believe you are wrong about BG. Lumping him in with Texans history with one season under his belt is bush league. As is your first statement which doesn’t match your third one. BTW BG didn’t keep around did he?

Gotta figure out the rookies best position first. I’m pretty sure they want Howard at LT in the worst way.
Disagree. First thing is to decide, and quickly, if Davenport has progressed this off season to the level that he can own the LT position. This decision dictates everything else.

I can only wish, but if everything fell into place, I'd like to see Davenport at LT, Rankin at LG, Howard at RT and Scharping at RG - for the next 5 - 10 years.

It's a false narrative.

McClain initially reported the Texans tried to trade up for Dillard. A few days later the spin machine set in and he said the Texans "targeted Howard all along" whatever that means
The bolded makes moot the rest of your post. McClain is nicknamed McLame for a very good reason. He has no reliable sources on Kirby Dr. He could report that the sun comes up in the east and I would fully expect sunrise from the west.

I don't. A poster here said he read it and then it was deleted.

But even if he never wrote that, the Eagles jumped one spot ahead of us because most of the league thought we would take Dillard. They didn't jump ahead of us to take Tytus.
That doesn't mean they got the better player and nobody knows how the teams feel about players. We know what talking heads think of players. Huge difference. That means the Eagles think Dillard is a better prospect than Howard. See me in 3 years and lets talk

In college. But who was trying to confuse and ruin them making those poor guys play more than one position?
This is confusing to me. I played LB and TE in football to high school level and all 3 outfield positions plus both corners in baseball to high school level. I played all positions at a high level and never had a significant issue with the position changes. Tracking balls down and tackling angles just seem natural to me.

Nope, not a mouthpiece. I just happen to believe you are wrong about BG. Lumping him in with Texans history with one season under his belt is bush league. As is your first statement which doesn’t match your third one. BTW BG didn’t keep around did he?

I like Gaine and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I do wish he was more aggressive but I think this attitude comes from the top and permeates the entire org.

I like Gaine and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I do wish he was more aggressive but I think this attitude comes from the top and permeates the entire org.

I’m really torn. One hand of course I want him and Texan organization to succeed but they can’t just count on draft picks coming to them that other scouting departments don’t value as highly as own board. This year’s class has less polish and bang for the buck than competition, in their own division especially when you factor in free agency. After Indy it’s almost a dead heat between Jaguars, Titans and Texans. There are no patsies or easy wins, everybody is evenly matched except for Ballard’s Colts. Consistently winning drafts and making smart free agent acquisitions.

I’m really torn. One hand of course I want him and Texan organization to succeed but they can’t just count on draft picks coming to them that other scouting departments don’t value as highly as own board. This year’s class has less polish and bang for the buck than competition, in their own division especially when you factor in free agency. After Indy it’s almost a dead heat between Jaguars, Titans and Texans. There are no patsies or easy wins, everybody is evenly matched except for Ballard’s Colts. Consistently winning drafts and making smart free agent acquisitions.

In my unbiased opinion the Titans had the best draft top to bottom in the division. And offseason as a whole when taking into account free agency additions of Saffold, Humphries and Wake while losing nobody of note. Also adding Tannehill should be atleast a competent backup. Really like how they improved their team.

Hope i’m wrong though!

Anyone giving Gaine the benefit of the doubt is either way too nice, or a Front Office insider.
His draft might be the worst out of all the GMs this year.
IMO you can't miss with picks in the first 2 rounds or it majorly holds back the franchise.
Those picks need to be starters, and on this team they need to be starters immediately with all our holes.
We had 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. None of them look like sure things to start this year.
Scharping looks like the best bet to start this year, and that's not a sure thing at all.

Left Tackle was our biggest need. It still is our biggest need after the draft.
If they didn't want Dillard who was the top passblocking LT on most boards, that's one thing.
But, to not trade back in the draft 2 times, acquire way more picks and then draft a Right Tackle prospect like Howard, that was inexcusable.
We've got holes all over the roster. Trade back and fill some holes instead of drafting a project tackle at 23.
We needed guys that could come in and play right away. Not guys that need time to develop for 1-2 years.
Why not trade back and then draft Jawaan Taylor, who can start this year.
This front office doesn't seem to be able to scout talent on the O-line for years, hopefully I'm all wrong and they figured it out this year.
I'm not trying to knock the guys they drafted, they could all turn out to be starters, it just seems to me that other guys were available at those spots that can start right away.

That doesn't mean they got the better player and nobody knows how the teams feel about players. We know what talking heads think of players. Huge difference. That means the Eagles think Dillard is a better prospect than Howard. See me in 3 years and lets talk

Dillard is the better athlete and played against better competition. I like Dillard alot and watched many of his games so I have my own opinion. I didn't see Howard play so the jury is still out on him.

I dont pay much attention to the draftniks other than the sleeper prospects they mention that I check out.

Anyone giving Gaine the benefit of the doubt is either way too nice, or a Front Office insider.
IMO you can't miss with picks in the first 2 rounds or it majorly holds back the franchise.
Those picks need to be starters, and on this team they need to be starters immediately with all our holes.
We had 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. None of them look like sure things to start this year.
Scharping looks like the best bet to start this year, and that's not a sure thing at all.

If they didn't want Dillard who was the top passblocking LT on most boards, that's one thing.
But, to not trade back in the draft 2 times, acquire way more picks and then draft a Right Tackle prospect like Howard, that was inexcusable.
We've got holes all over the roster. Trade back and fill some holes instead of drafting a project tackle at 23.
We needed guys that could come in and play right away. Not guys that need time to develop for 1-2 years.
This front office doesn't seem to be able to scout talent on the O-line for years, hopefully I'm all wrong and they figured it out this year.
I'm not trying to knock the guys they drafted, they could all turn out to be starters, it just seems to me that other guys were available at those spots that can start right away.

Tearing down a draft like you’re attempting to do should be done 2-3 years after the fact when there’s actual results on the field to complain about. Not a couple weeks after the draft when the players aren’t even allowed to have contact practices yet...

Your backups should be jack of all trades guys. Kelemete is a perfect example of this kind of player. Not a couple of rookies just getting their feet wet.

It's like BOB didn't learn a damn thing after moving XSF all over the place as a rookie and is insistent on doing the same things with Howard/Scharping.

Agreed, all the way around. BO'b is an idiot. Wasn't until week 3 that he realized Rankin was a guard. Something you & everybody else knew in April.

This, imo, is just BO'b trying to get ahead of the game. Trying to figure out what you already know before the season starts.

I applaud him. Takes a big man to admit he's an idiot & right now, BO'b is standing 10' tall.

Agreed, all the way around. BO'b is an idiot. Wasn't until week 3 that he realized Rankin was a guard. Something you & everybody else knew in April.

This, imo, is just BO'b trying to get ahead of the game. Trying to figure out what you already know before the season starts.

I applaud him. Takes a big man to admit he's an idiot & right now, BO'b is standing 10' tall.

The Texans didn't know what they had in Rankin because he had the broke foot in training camp .

So much anger and frustration.

It's one thing to have a strong opinion that can at least be somewhat supported by reason. It's another thing to become so emotionally locked in to a particular point of view that the "discussion" resorts to name calling. As mentioned in other posts, that's called argument by ridicule and, though it might make a nice sound bite, it's really not an argument at all. I intend to stick with reason, as it seems a lot of other folks on this MB intend to do.

The facts are that this draft is a done deal...that the Texans rightly or wrongly filled their biggest need (the OL) with Howard and Scharping...that they did nothing to move up for Dillard...and so on and so forth.

Should they have made a move for Dillard? Possibly. But the real evidence for any draft comes in over a 2-3 year period instead of a premature rush to judgement.

I happen to think that Dillard and Howard will both be good and will turn out to be a wash over the course of time, plus we now have Scharping and at least one more draftee (Waring) because we didn't pay to move up one spot.

I happen to think that OB and Gaine didn't get to these jobs by being idiots, buffoons, stupid fools, or whatever. I happen to think that doesn't make me an apologist for either of them. It means that they and the job they're doing are worthy of calm, reasoned evaluation.

I happen to hope for the best from Howard, Scharping, et al. And I happen to think that it will be some time before solid evidence is there for all of us to see and discuss in reasoned terms. At least I can hope.

The Texans didn't know what they had in Rankin because he had the broke foot in training camp .

They drafted him for a reason, after evaluating his medical condition. Wanted Texans to trade up for a LT, one year later this is what happens used a 1st and 2nd to address a need that should have been clear as the worts on depth chart.

I get this on one level. Pretty sure if Howard is our best LT he’s going to play that position. But in the end this versatility thing is just trying to keep your five best available OL on the field when the ever present injuries occur. We’ve had backups I didn’t want to see as backups much less as forced in starters.

That’s where free agency and the late rounds of the draft come in where you can get guys like kelemente and Tom Compton and others. I will take 5 legit non versatile studs all day over versatile turnstiles. Then you draft and sign depth

It's one thing to have a strong opinion that can at least be somewhat supported by reason. It's another thing to become so emotionally locked in to a particular point of view that the "discussion" resorts to name calling. As mentioned in other posts, that's called argument by ridicule and, though it might make a nice sound bite, it's really not an argument at all. I intend to stick with reason, as it seems a lot of other folks on this MB intend to do.

The facts are that this draft is a done deal...that the Texans rightly or wrongly filled their biggest need (the OL) with Howard and Scharping...that they did nothing to move up for Dillard...and so on and so forth.

Should they have made a move for Dillard? Possibly. But the real evidence for any draft comes in over a 2-3 year period instead of a premature rush to judgement.

I happen to think that Dillard and Howard will both be good and will turn out to be a wash over the course of time, plus we now have Scharping and at least one more draftee (Waring) because we didn't pay to move up one spot.

I happen to think that OB and Gaine didn't get to these jobs by being idiots, buffoons, stupid fools, or whatever. I happen to think that doesn't make me an apologist for either of them. It means that they and the job they're doing are worthy of calm, reasoned evaluation.

I happen to hope for the best from Howard, Scharping, et al. And I happen to think that it will be some time before solid evidence is there for all of us to see and discuss in reasoned terms. At least I can hope.
Man you are hoping for a lot from posters if not players. lol

Man you are hoping for a lot from posters if not players. lol

Yes, I am hoping for a lot. I find that being Hopeful, Happy, and Hoptimisic makes for a nicer life. Plus, I get to put the letter H to good use.

The guys are out there working as hard as they can, learning more about football and themselves for hours each day. That goes for the ones who have a lot of talent and for those who don't, for those who fully expect to make the team and for those who are hoping beyond hope that their playing days aren't over.

Gotta respect that.

I read that post in Morgan Freeman’s voice from Shawshank Redemption. Inspiring stuff.

That's pretty funny. But I can see the reference. There's some big differences, though. Morgan Freeman is better looking, on TV a lot more, and has a bunch more money.

Really not worth responding to but I’m bored. Are you saying that instead of drafting a “project” (RT?) at 23 we should trade back twice and what? Fill our roster holes with later round projects? Been doing that for years without trading back. With a strategy like that you actually want fewer choices not more just to lessen the stupidity.

Tearing down a draft like you’re attempting to do should be done 2-3 years after the fact when there’s actual results on the field to complain about. Not a couple weeks after the draft when the players aren’t even allowed to have contact practices yet...

I think dudes main point was that he doesn't think we acquired players who can start right away. At certain positions ( let me put that disclaimer out there) most teams including the Texans normally acquire starters in the 1st two rounds of the draft. The three players we got in the 1st two rounds might need a little developing before they become starters. But hey they might be day one starters.

Really not worth responding to but I’m bored. Are you saying that instead of drafting a “project” (RT?) at 23 we should trade back twice and what? Fill our roster holes with later round projects? Been doing that for years without trading back. With a strategy like that you actually want fewer choices not more just to lessen the stupidity.

How did you translate more draft picks into fewer choices?

With all this talk about 1st round picks needing to start, if you follow the local Eagles media, you find that Dillard is not expected to start at LT this year. Peters is first in line.............Vaitai (the Super Bowl starter) is second in line............Mailata is third in line..............and Dillard may play some time during the season.:

Andre Dillard taking baby steps as the left tackle learns the Eagles way

Saturday, May 11, 2019 01:53 PM
Dave Spadaro

Eagles plan to cross-train Jordan Mailata at both tackle spots

ByJEFF KERR May 10, 3:35 PM

With all this talk about 1st round picks needing to start, if you follow the local Eagles media, you find that Dillard is not expected to start at LT this year. Peters is first in line.............Vaitai (the Super Bowl starter) is second in line............Mailata is third in line..............and Dillard may play some time during the season.:

Dave Spadaro

Totally different situations . The Eagles line is already put together while the Texans are still trying to figure things out.

Agreed.

If they don't start, they didn't "fill" the position. That's a fact.

If Tytus Howard doesn't start THIS year, we wasted pick #23, no matter how he pans out long term. Sure, I'll be thrilled if these guys become perennial All Pros. Sure, I think Howard has more potential UPside than Dillard, but he also had the lower floor. The Texans need to keep Watson upright and unharmed as priority one. Given how horrible the blocking was last year in every phase of the game, if the Texans didn't get guys who could immediately improve the line in both FA and the Draft, they've failed. The premier talent(s) you have on the other side of the ball have peaked and have a short time remaining in which they will be effective. The best all around QB you've ever had is one hit away from retirement, just like other QBs, the difference is...you know you surrounded him with bad protection and have had a chance to fix it. Hell, I thought the Texans could overcome the loss of Duane Brown. They haven't even come close yet.

Gaine has yet to get a "grade" from me, other than FA (which isn't supposed to be "long-term potential" pickups). He's had some good ones, and some head-scratchers...about par for a average GM.

O'Brien has enough tape to warrant evaluation. I wouldn't use your word choices above to describe him as a whole, though he's certainly made some idiotic/stupid/foolish "decisions" on occasion. Some words/phrases I would use are "stubborn", "failure to adapt", "misuse of talent", "boxed into his own system", etc. O'Brien knows jack-all about Defense, so he's had the best in the world handling it for him. That part is a plus. He has taken the Offense into his own hands and refused to hand the play-calling over to an OC, which in turn has gotten him overwhelmed with handling the overall stuff like timeouts, challenges, etc. That part is a negative. We're his first stop as an NFL Head Coach. We're his second stop as a Head Coach period. I want the outside-the-box guy I saw when it was all going to hell in Watson's 2nd start against New England. I don't want a guy who looks like he's in over his head.

I think he needs to take a couple of these to heart:

He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n.

If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games for you.

When you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do about it: 1. Admit it. 2. Learn from it, and 3. Don’t repeat it.

Last edited:
Totally different situations . The Eagles line is already put together while the Texans are still trying to figure things out.
You may say it is a different situation........and it is...........but it also does not look like he is an NFL starter ready LT.............certainly at this point, Dillard had he been taken by the Texans, cannot be said any more starter ready than Howard.

You may say it is a different situation........and it is...........but it also does not look like he is an NFL starter ready LT.............certainly at this point, Dillard had he been taken by the Texans, cannot be said any more starter ready than Howard.

Why not? The eagles have a legit good starter, that's the main reason Dillard isn't starting, not because he can't be ready by the season

Dave Spadaro

Jason Peters is at the head of the Eagles DC @ LT and for the Texans we've got Julien Davenport.
One of those teams has a sense of urgency to upgrade their LT position, so this is obviously an apples and oranges comparison.

Looks like a fluff piece, 'yeah, we're making the rook earn his way up the depth chart.' Later in training camp there will be a follow up about how outstanding he is and could start right now but for the grizzled vet in front.

Then why play him at LT and almost get Watson killed? That was insanity

I've got to agree. Some of last season's OL decisions were baffling.

We don't have the inside information the coaches had about the players and we don't know their conversations and thought processes. If we did, maybe we'd understand it better. We might even be able to at least see why they did what they did, as wrong as it was.

But from out here, it sure didn't make much sense. I wonder if OB took Devlin's advice initially and now, after getting burned by it, will be less inclined to trust Devlin's judgement.

I could have that completely backwards. Maybe the poor OL decisions were made by OB in spite of Devlin's differing opinion. If so, maybe OB will now be MORE inclined to defer to Devlin.

There's also the possibility that OB and Devlin were in full lockstep on last year's nearly disastrous OL shuffling. I don't find that thought very comforting.

My hope is that OB, Devlin, and assorted coaches learned a few things about the players and about their own decision processes and are now a bit wiser. My hope is that all of the O Linemen will be better off for it.

Agreed.

If they don't start, they didn't "fill" the position. That's a fact.

If Tytus Howard doesn't start THIS year, we wasted pick #23, no matter how he pans out long term. Sure, I'll be thrilled if these guys become perennial All Pros. Sure, I think Howard has more potential UPside than Dillard, but he also had the lower floor. The Texans need to keep Watson upright and unharmed as priority one. Given how horrible the blocking was last year in every phase of the game, if the Texans didn't get guys who could immediately improve the line in both FA and the Draft, they've failed. The premier talent(s) you have on the other side of the ball have peaked and have a short time remaining in which they will be effective. The best all around QB you've ever had is one hit away from retirement, just like other QBs, the difference is...you know you surrounded him with bad protection and have had a chance to fix it. Hell, I thought the Texans could overcome the loss of Duane Brown. They haven't even come close yet.

Gaine has yet to get a "grade" from me, other than FA (which isn't supposed to be "long-term potential" pickups). He's had some good ones, and some head-scratchers...about par for a average GM.

O'Brien has enough tape to warrant evaluation. I wouldn't use your word choices above to describe him as a whole, though he's certainly made some idiotic/stupid/foolish "decisions" on occasion. Some words/phrases I would use are "stubborn", "failure to adapt", "misuse of talent", "boxed into his own system", etc. O'Brien knows jack-all about Defense, so he's had the best in the world handling it for him. That part is a plus. He has taken the Offense into his own hands and refused to hand the play-calling over to an OC, which in turn has gotten him overwhelmed with handling the overall stuff like timeouts, challenges, etc. That part is a negative. We're his first stop as an NFL Head Coach. We're his second stop as a Head Coach period. I want the outside-the-box guy I saw when it was all going to hell in Watson's 2nd start against New England. I don't want a guy who looks like he's in over his head.

I think he needs to take a couple of these to heart:

Great post, pretty much how I feel about the state of the Texans.

I do think talent has been lacking, but trying to be the smartest man in the room has gotten BOB in trouble at times. With that said I think BOB's a really good HC, who is going to become a great HC when he joins another org with a strong GM and an org who puts winning 1st and foremost.

Gotta disagree with you there Doc, Dillard will be able to hold his own very quickly. He's played very well against top competition. He's a great athlete and can hold his own while he's learning the ways of the NFL. I predict he will be much improved by week 8 and is a pro ready pass blocker. By yr 2 he should be ready to roll as the Eagles starting LT after Peters is gone. His run blocking will get better. This is how good orgs like the Eagles stay good.

We can only hope Howard is on the same track as Dillard. Howard probably will be the starter in game 1 at LT unless Kalil can come in healthy and play well. (This is what I hope happens) I think the Texans draft and bringing in Kalil says more about what they think of Davenport than any fluff piece Pancakes/Pat puts out.

Kalil playing well, even if it's only for 1/2 a season will be so beneficial for Howard's development. The same goes for Peters/Dillard.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree with you there Doc, Dillard will be able to hold his own very quickly. He's played very well against top competition. He's a great athlete and can hold his own while he's learning the ways of the NFL. I predict he will be much improved by week 8 and is a pro ready pass blocker. By yr 2 he should be ready to roll as the Eagles starting LT after Peters is gone. His run blocking will get better. This is how good orgs like the Eagles stay good.

We can only hope Howard is on the same track as Dillard. Howard probably will be the starter in game 1 at LT unless Kalil can come in healthy and play well. (This is what I hope happens) I think the Texans draft and bringing in Kalil says more about what they think of Davenport than any fluff piece Pancakes/Pat puts out.

Kalil playing well, even if it's only for 1/2 a season will be so beneficial for Howard's development. The same goes for Peters/Dillard.
Whereas there are so many here that are so adamant as to knowing the NFL ready superiority of Dillard vs Howard.........essentially playing the second coming of Miss Cleo........I am simply questioning that superiority, something that evidently some have no patience for. There have been too many LT can't miss prospects in the past that the Miss Cleos of the world have ended up with egg on their face over to take these unbending predictions with anything but a grain of salt.

Whereas there are so many here that are so adamant as to knowing the NFL ready superiority of Dillard vs Howard.........essentially playing the second coming of Miss Cleo........I am simply questioning that superiority, something that evidently some have no patience for. There have been too many LT can't miss prospects in the past that the Miss Cleos of the world have ended up with egg on their face over to take these unbending predictions with anything but a grain of salt.

I agree the draft is a crapshoot and nobody as of right now knows how either Dillard or Howard's career is going to turn out.

But if you were a betting man would you rather bet on the guy who's a better athlete and has played against better competition or a guy who comes from a small school who tested out avg athletically?

I hope Howard is who Devlin/Gaine thinks he is. But I've got very little faith in Devlin's ability to judge talent or coach up talent for that matter.

I have not said anything about Dillard being a day one starter. What I did say that most ( most being the key word) look for their 1st and 2nd round draftees to start right away or at some point during year one. Some situations are different, like the position (QB), or a team having a quality experience veteran in place.

The Eagles are already loaded when it comes to their offensive line. So they have the luxury of taking their time with Dillard and let him develop more. Because most media sources pinged him as a day one starter.

Lol at bashing Gaine for "not trading back, not only once but... TWICE" like you were in the room to know he didn't try to make some type of trade. LMAO! Also, just because you have this idea/opinion that the Texans are in "win now" mode doesn't make it fact. As a matter of fact, the past two free agency periods and drafts suggest the Texans are NOT in "win now" mode but they ARE, in Gaine's own words, building for the future through the draft. I like what Gaine is doing and the fact he literally turned our once inept special teams (by hiring the right coaches and acquiring the right talent) into a top 10 unit (on his first try) hould be a testament to him.

Last edited:

Just gotta say, CND...I love the Miss Cleo reference.

Back