Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

1) They liked him when he was coming out of college.
2) They like the fact that he knows our new system.
3) They like the fact that he's worked with OB.
4) They like the fact that he hasn't shown any of the behavioral issues that were questions about him coming out of school.

I'm in the wait and see camp.

Exactly!

4) They like the fact that he hasn't shown any of the behavioral issues that were questions about him coming out of school.

I'm in the wait and see camp.
You sold me to PN, let's hope OB gets this guy.

I wouldn't dismiss a player because he hasn't put up any significant numbers just yet. I remember suggesting we trade for Aaron Rodgers when he was just a backup to Favre & was repeatedly told he wasn't any good. In his first two years he went 15-31 for 111 yards, 1 int, 3 fumbles & 6 sacks in 5 games.

Brett Favre was traded to Green Bay after going 0-4, 2 int & 1 sack in two games his first year.

I'm not saying Mallett will even come close to these two players, but neither one of them did much coming off the bench either. Unless Brady gets hurt, Mallett will never see the field during a real game. He's got all the tools to be a starting QB in the NFL & he's even kept his nose clean in his first 3 years after all the college issues. If OB thinks he can do something with Mallett, I'm all for it.
I'm not trying to be dismissive, just not sold on him. He might be the next great thing. If Belichik would trade him for Yates, straight up, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If the Pats are willing to trade you Mallett then you know you're getting the shaft while Belichick is taking the elevator.

Matt Schaub just called, and he wants his "serious trade" thread back from Ryan Mallett. He especially liked the part where Exascor and Number19 were giving him a raise.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, just not sold on him. He might be the next great thing. If Belichik would trade him for Yates, straight up, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bellicheck would trade for Yates straight up in a heartbeat. Why not? Yates won't see the field anyway.

Mike

Matt Schaub just called, and he wants his "serious trade" thread back from Ryan Mallett. He especially liked the part where Exascor and Number19 were giving him a raise.
I'm afraid it's likely Schaub won't get an answer until March 27, or maybe May 8.

I'm in the wait and see camp
Yep.
I've learned to wait and see too.
the main thing I'm waiting for is to see if O'Brien actually goes after him.

If the Pats are willing to trade you Mallett then you know you're getting the shaft while Belichick is taking the elevator.
^
Now THAT'S an interesting way to put it. If he would trade Mallett for Yates, you know RM would have an undisclosed injury about as serious as a torn ACL.

Very interesting rumor if true; not sure I jump to the trade being a QB. Any decent player could be good especially if at one of our needs like ILB, DT, safety, nickle CB, RB, OLB,etc. I can see Raiders using first for another position and 2nd on a QB and allow MS to mentor for one year. Schaub could be released after 2014 if new guy ready. The trade could also be for a draft pick which would allow minimal $ to flow from Raiders' cap that does need boosting. Also if trade involves a player ($3-4 million range) Schaub's salary could be looked at as $6-7m.

I am praying for a Daryl Morey "T Mac" type trade especially if Browns get involved. We know Cleveland signed Tate and IIRC a WR free agent last week. They could ratchet up MS value.

For me, I hope Oakland gives us a third & Browns offer 1-4 & 1-26 for our 1-1. I'm thinking we could also be in running for trade with Vikings for #4 and get another second round pick. 8, 26, two seconds (our 2-1 could be traded down & we could still get Garoppolo).

Dreaming? Maybe but just maybe not.

Very interesting rumor if true; not sure I jump to the trade being a QB. Any decent player could be good especially if at one of our needs like ILB, DT, safety, nickle CB, RB, OLB,etc. I can see Raiders using first for another position and 2nd on a QB and allow MS to mentor for one year. Schaub could be released after 2014 if new guy ready. The trade could also be for a draft pick which would allow minimal $ to flow from Raiders' cap that does need boosting. Also if trade involves a player ($3-4 million range) Schaub's salary could be looked at as $6-7m.

I am praying for a Daryl Morey "T Mac" type trade especially if Browns get involved. We know Cleveland signed Tate and IIRC a WR free agent last week. They could ratchet up MS value.

For me, I hope Oakland gives us a third & Browns offer 1-4 & 1-26 for our 1-1. I'm thinking we could also be in running for trade with Vikings for #4 and get another second round pick. 8, 26, two seconds (our 2-1 could be traded down & we could still get Garoppolo).

thats very maddenish

in bold: I think for this scenario to play out, Manziel, if he is still the Browns guy, needs to have an awesome pro day and wow everybody in attendance. That way talks to flare up for the next month and a half about him being the #1 prospect, launching Cleveland into desperate mode...

otherwise they will just wait until the 4th pick...

in bold: I think for this scenario to play out, Manziel, if he is still the Browns guy, needs to have an awesome pro day and wow everybody in attendance. That way talks to flare up for the next month and a half about him being the #1 prospect, launching Cleveland into desperate mode...

otherwise they will just wait until the 4th pick...
Why I disagree: a great pro day will only help of course but Manziel's sizzle not from controlled play but how he does in chaos. His rep is he turns poop to fertilizer resulting in roses at he finish line. He handles team on the field & sidelines; pro day will not add or detract. If Browns' "leaked" interest in Manziel to mislead others as some suggested, why has that stopped? Seems like they would keep tooting he was their guy & hoped others bought it.

I remember getting blasted when I first mocked a trade with Cleveland & now it is common talk.

According to @RossTuckerNFL, the Raiders will pay Matt Schaub $11M and he will start. I wish Matt the best. Now let’s move on.
@lancezierlein

Saying its going to be a six or seventh round pick. We should hold off for a fifth! :). J/k!!!! Ok someone explain the cap implications for us cap challenged folk.

Rick Smith with a helluva move. Will he get love for it?

Probably not from most. He could have traded him straight up for the 5th pick and a 1st rounder next year and wouldn't get credit.

He's not the best, but until we see how things work with O'Brien I won't pass judgement. We don't know what kind of personnel control Kubiak had. Kubiak basically hired Smith so the bad signings and bad draft picks could have been more Kubiak's influence in what he wanted.

Schaub had a disasterous 2013 and he was just awful. Before that he was pretty good. Good look Sschub and thanks for your efforts.

Whatever pick we get in the 2014 draft, there should be a conditional 2015 pick based on Schaub's 2014 performance. At least that's what I'd want if I was the Texans GM, in case Matt goes there and bounces back to his earlier performance level.

just for information sake

the raiders do not have their 5th
have the their own 6th & 7th plus a 7th from Cardinals (Carson Palmer0

Saying its going to be a six or seventh round pick. We should hold off for a fifth! :). J/k!!!! Ok someone explain the cap implications for us cap challenged folk.

Dead money will be gone this year. This frees up $3.9M or $3.6M, most of which will cover Fitzpatrick's cap hit.

Any thoughts on Clowney's perceived attitude (thinks he's too big for his britches)?

Not a loaded question here, promise. Just curious to hear your take.

If there is, I hoping our boy Watt can get him in line.

There is no QB this year worth the #1 pick. Clowney is worth the #1 pick.

If there is, I hoping our boy Watt can get him in line.

There is no QB this year worth the #1 pick. Clowney is worth the #1 pick.

Very true. Even AJ, even from the other side of the ball, could show him a thing or two about being more locker room-friendly (if a problem existed).

I certainly won't fret if they get Clowney, though I've noticed my opinion has changed quite a lot this offseason about draft strategy...lol.

Any thoughts on Clowney's perceived attitude (thinks he's too big for his britches)?
Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted. Then during their NFL careers they were also thought to take plays off/ lacked a motor, but in FA Mario brought more money than any defensive player ever and Peppers, near social security age, just signed his second big contract as a FA.
Being a big-time pass-rusher is not a simple commodity, it's a very highly valued and scarce talent that NFL teams are willing to pay vast sums of money for no matter if the player lacks a full time motor or has a high-opinion of himself.

What will i do with my schaub jersey now?

As soon as Blake Bortles is drafted the Houston Chronicle will come out with an illustrated tutorial on how to modify your already modified David Carr/Matt Schaub jersey to the #5 and to the name "BORTLES".

Anyone who actually does it though should be mocked mercilessly because that's just cheap as hell.

That's all of course unless Bortles announces an unexpected change to #8

It means more of a cap hit this year and none next year. People vary on whether that is better.

Since the entire team will be learning a new system this year.. I'll say taking the hit now and being free and clear next year is a lot better.. Especially since we'll have to resign Watt.

Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted. Then during their NFL careers they were also thought to take plays off/ lacked a motor, but in FA Mario brought more money than any defensive player ever and Peppers, near social security age, just signed his second big contract as a FA.
Being a big-time pass-rusher is not a simple commodity, it's a very highly valued and scarce talent that NFL teams are willing to pay vast sums of money for no matter if the player lacks a full time motor or has a high-opinion of himself.

No doubt. It wasn't his ability or it's value I was asking gwallaia about. :)

Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted.

Neither was accused of taking a season off.

But this discussion goes in the draft forum. Please take it over there.

As soon as Blake Bortles is drafted the Houston Chronicle will come out with an illustrated tutorial on how to modify your already modified David Carr/Matt Schaub jersey to the #5 and to the name "BORTLES".

Anyone who actually does it though should be mocked mercilessly because that's just cheap as hell.

That's all of course unless Bortles announces an unexpected change to #8

Lol. I was just kidding about owning a schaub jersey. Only jersey I own is #80.

Good news! It was time for the Texans to move in a different direction. I hope Schaub takes the division from Denver.

More from the earlier reports

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 1h
Cleveland expressed some interest in Matt Schaub, who could have been reunited with Kyle Shanahan, but Oakland wanted Schaub even more.

Sean Pendergast ‏@SeanCablinasian · 1h
Schaub-trade cap "savings" of $4M (give or take) are about a wash after you fill his void with Fitzpatrick and his $3.37M cap figure in '14.

LOL

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar · 1h
The Raiders' best hope in the Schaub deal is that the draft pick traded will be returned for a touchdown.

Back