Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

No doubt. It wasn't his ability or it's value I was asking gwallaia about. :)
You did say something about "thinks he's too big for his britches", right ?
But why is that a problem ? I think most of the really successful guys in the NFL have very, very healthy egos. On the Texans, no doubt that both Watt & Cushing are hotdogs to some degree. And some of the best QBs like Brady and Rogers are very self-centered from what I read. I want my best players to
have an attitude about their own abilities, to think and believe they are the best.

Rick Smith with a helluva move. Will he get love for it?

Nope.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
It's agreed to, yes. RT @joestewwood @AlbertBreer Has the Schaub deal gone through?

Also, Matt Schaub's contract calls for $13.5 million in 2015 and $15.5 million in 2016.

Cap ramifications ... Oakland would carry $11M (base + roster bonuses) for Schaub in '14. Houston saves $4M, with $10.5M in dead $ in '14.

You did say something about "thinks he's too big for his britches", right ?
But why is that a problem ? I think most of the really successful guys in the NFL have very, very healthy egos. On the Texans, no doubt that both Watt & Cushing are hotdogs to some degree. And some of the best QBs like Brady and Rogers are very self-centered from what I read. I want my best players to
have an attitude about their own abilities, to think and believe they are the best.

(sigh) I asked another poster his opinion about a perceived problem. He answered it. Are you OK with that?

So is it better for us to trade instead of making him a June 1 cut from a salary cap perspective?

Depends on how you want to look at it.

One thing though, we get a draft pick. May be a 6th, may be a 7th... but if this pick gets bundled with some other asset to improve our team in the future.... say our 3rd plus this pick for Mallet, or our second, this pick, & Case Keenum to move up to the 27th pick... whatever...

Even if we use it to draft Tom Savage I think it's better than whatever additional space we were going to free up & most likely not use.

I got #80.. and #99 :)

I've got two #8s..... A Carr & A Schaub

I've got a #12... Jacoby Jones

A #23..... Foster (it used to say Fostre, but thank God my wife knows her way around a needle & thread)

I've got a cheap Reebok #80....

probably get a #56 this year. Maybe a #5

:kitten:

Depends on how you want to look at it.

One thing though, we get a draft pick. May be a 6th, may be a 7th... but if this pick gets bundled with some other asset to improve our team in the future.... say our 3rd plus this pick for Mallet, or our second, this pick, & Case Keenum to move up to the 27th pick... whatever...

Even if we use it to draft Tom Savage I think it's better than whatever additional space we were going to free up & most likely not use.

I disagree completely. we should have June 1st cut him and created 10 million in space, then signed a couple guys to fill major holes on this team. Last I looked we need a new, de, ilb, upgrade at olb, another nt, a slot cb, a te, rt, g, qb. Yup lets just get a measly 6th round pick and only save 3.5 million rather than gain 10 m and sign a few guys to IMPROVE our team. This whole organization does dumb ****.

Bringing Fitzpatrick on...now ditching Schaub... looks like BOB is gonna be rolling with 3 qb's on his roster with his 2014 drafted qb firmly entrenched as the #3. Basically to ensure his qb of the future will not be called into duty under any circumstances this year ....which screams late round developmental qb to me..Mettenberger..Fales...Garappalo.

Or he could do like GB did with Rodgers & take 1 of the 3 top guys somewhere in the 1st after a small trade down from 1:1 & then stash him.

I disagree completely. we should have June 1st cut him and created 10 million in space, then signed a couple guys to fill major holes on this team. Last I looked we need a new, de, ilb, upgrade at olb, another nt, a slot cb, a te, rt, g, qb. Yup lets just get a measly 6th round pick and only save 3.5 million rather than gain 10 m and sign a few guys to IMPROVE our team. This whole organization does dumb ****.

That extra money will be there next year to improve the team. Both avenues had their pros and cons, not sure why you would take such an extreme stance on it. How far can we really go this year?

That extra money will be there next year to improve the team. Both avenues had their pros and cons, not sure why you would take such an extreme stance on it. How far can we really go this year?

We have an entire new coaching staff and this year we can sign a few guys and let them learn the system, giving us a great chance next season. instead we will throw scrubs out there, waste another year of our prime players time and then have to have those other guys learn the system in 2015, thus wasting another season. not to mention JJ will be due some money next year, so don't think for a minute that most of that money will be there for us, because it won't.

Guess mediocrity is something Houston fans like :spin:

We have an entire new coaching staff and this year we can sign a few guys and let them learn the system, giving us a great chance next season. instead we will throw scrubs out there, waste another year of our prime players time and then have to have those other guys learn the system in 2015, thus wasting another season. not to mention JJ will be due some money next year, so don't think for a minute that most of that money will be there for us, because it won't.

But if we spend the money for JJ this year how can we pay him next year in your scenario?

frustrating as hell, isn't it? Watching teams like Denver sign Talib, Ware and Ward to make another SB run and the Texans sign Fitzpatrick and man named Powe to just save money....

Something is broken and it needs to be fixed over on Kirby...

I prefer absorbing everything next year so we are free to pay JJ and make an impact free agent signing or two next year as we push towards contention!

frustrating as hell, isn't it? Watching teams like Denver sign Talib, Ware and Ward to make another SB run and the Texans sign Fitzpatrick and man named Powe to just save money....

And how will you feel when Peyton chokes in the playoffs again as usual. Money well spent?

When Peyton retires in a year the Broncos will be in a new kind of cap hell.

Or how about you give BOB the benefit of the doubt and allow him to construct his team the way he sees fit first then wait and see where it takes us. Don't knock this coaching staff who have yet to coach a game for this team nor even make his first pick from the draft yet from previous regimes failures.....

Rick shafted us on the cap so we don't have the ability to do what Denver did.

Hopefully the next major cut in the organization will be Smith, either this year or next.

For now we have to make the best with what we have and draft wisely.

People want to spend this year must think the Texans are actually close to contending. Idiots.

Don't think I would go as far as categorizing them as idiots.

Sure, contention this year isn't likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we can get a good QB , if we don't make a strong run at getting a wildcard spot. Maybe 8-8ish is a more realistic expectation for the optimists among us , but I think we still have a decent core group and can win some games.

But if we spend the money for JJ this year how can we pay him next year in your scenario?

Do you have an understanding of how the cap works? Do you think money "left over" just carries over next season? If done correctly we will have no problems signing free agents now and having money for JJ. This was one of the best free agency classes EVER and yet we signed Fitzpatrick. :butterfly:

Don't think I would go as far as categorizing them as idiots.

Sure, contention this year isn't likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we can get a good QB , if we don't make a strong run at getting a wildcard spot. Maybe 8-8ish is a more realistic expectation for the optimists among us , but I think we still have a decent core group and can win some games.

Man you are assuming our defense stops playing garbage. I think the team peaked in 2012 and we are in full rebuild mode after last seasons dropoff. I'd like to think we are close to being good again, but I seriously doubt it.

I've been on the fence about Rick Smith. He should be somewhat responsible for the mess this team is in. However, getting anything in return for Schaub is pure genius, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People actually think we aren't in full rebuild mode? Yeesh. Don't expect much next year.

I'm all for the clean slate. I hated everything about the "Clean, Nice Guy" approach. Texans were SOFT under Gary.

It wouldn't have been a windfall of 10 mil. That money would have to show up on the books next year. Would rather take this kick to the nuts while we're rebuilding and have the 10 mil next year.

I disagree completely. we should have June 1st cut him and created 10 million in space, then signed a couple guys to fill major holes on this team.

I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't think we would have done that. We're going to sign a bunch of low dollar guys to fill the roster & 8 out of 8 draft picks will make the final 53.

That's the Rick Smith way.

Do you? Money left over does carry over (with limitations).

Bingo, it doesn't just compile and accumulate. Signing guys now will affect next years salary, but if done properly will have no barring on signing JJ and bringing in more guys, considering the cap will go up once again. Cutting Schaub would have given us 10 million to sign an ilb, slot corner, pass rusher this season! Instead we roll with trash or unproven rookies. And now we have a journey man qb potentially as our starter. You honestly don't think that's an issue? You all want to "sit back and wait", howd that work out the last 2 coaching staffs? Maybe if the fans spoke up more and stopped being so passive to this organization they would realize we actually want to win here, not just "compete".

Funny how no one is calling out McNair for lieing to our faces calling this a "reload" year NOT a "rebuild" year. Guess the BS starts at the top and rolls downhill. Oh well, in 3 years we will be "reloading" again when our safety, corner, wr and rb are no longer effective. Here's to being .500 for life! :fingergun:

And how will you feel when Peyton chokes in the playoffs again as usual. Money well spent?

When Peyton retires in a year the Broncos will be in a new kind of cap hell.

He can choke all day... if Ware, Talib, & Ward do their thing, it won't matter.

:BananaWav

ku-xlarge.gif

richard-sherman-intercepts-matt-schaub.gif

schaub.gif

Raiders sports radio on the left coast they're arguing, "Matt Schaub is NOT an Al Davis type guy." Al Davis. :ahhaha:

Funny how no one is calling out McNair for lieing to our faces calling this a "reload" year NOT a "rebuild" year. Guess the BS starts at the top and rolls downhill. Oh well, in 3 years we will be "reloading" again when our safety, corner, wr and rb are no longer effective. Here's to being .500 for life! :fingergun:

You actually believed him? We haven't seen any Texan-O'Brien football and you're already writing him off. That's the spirit.

Bingo, it doesn't just compile and accumulate.

The "with limitations" was not a saviour for your ignorant assertion. Cap does in fact get carried over.

Maybe if you would read a little more thoroughly you would stop slinging around the "everybody" and "nobody" accusations.

The feeling I have with Schaubs departure is happiness with a touch of sadness becuase he was productive but not nearly as happy as I was when the Texans severed ties with David Carr who did next to nothing besides get a good haircut.

If this isn't a total rebuild then one does not exist. McNair is just playing the masses for fools. The koolaid is tasty boys, drink up.

Glad we are dumping Schaub, I would take almost anything for him. He may have a good game or two but more than likely he'll be roasted there even worse then here by season's end.

What are the odds he plays 16 games at starter for Oakland? He'll be yanked for Prior just like he was yanked for Keenum here. Then he'll backup a yr or two and then go play with all his money and his kids and open an insurance office or a car wash.

If this isn't a total rebuild then one does not exist. McNair is just playing the masses for fools. The koolaid is tasty boys, drink up.

Andre, DeAndre, Foster, Graham, DBrown, Chris Myers, Brooks... seven returning starters on offense.

Jj, Cushing, Whitney, Reed, Kj, Dj, DMan... seven returning starters on defense.

I don't think this is a rebuild.

The "with limitations" was not a saviour for your ignorant assertion. Cap does in fact get carried over.

Maybe if you would read a little more thoroughly you would stop slinging around the "everybody" and "nobody" accusations.

First of all you should go back through my posts and my outlines for previous off-seasons, I have a better understanding of the cap than 95% of the people in here and when I don't know something I research an answer. You may not agree with what I say or maybe I am too "vague" for you but to say my post post was an "ignorant assertion" is laughable.

So let me break it down and clarify for you. By cutting Schaub and designating June 1st, we would have gained approximately 10 m. That alone is enough to sign some guys like Carlos Rogers, Pat Angerer and maybe even a pass rusher. A few guys to fill some holes and be role players instead of pumping out scrubs like Sharpton, Reed and McCain.

Second of all, by trading Schaub you have 9 m this year and about 44 m next year. (assuming no one else is signed which won't be accurate but its easier to do this illustration). If you June 1st cut him you bump up to 19 m this year and 37 m next year. Its not as simple as rolling the money over and doing what you wish with it. With bonuses and pro rations you would come out ahead by cutting him, signing guys and then having a bunch of money next year still. Instead you do nothing now, and have just a few million more next year. Its called improving your roster NOW and getting players accustomed to the coaching style and scheme, instead of wasting time.

From Walterfootball:

Raiders acquire QB Matt Schaub from Texans for late-round pick
The Raiders' biggest need is still a quarterback. Matt Schaub is far from the answer. He was a system quarterback in Houston, whom Gary Kubiak simply got the most out of. Schaub did play well at times, posting big yardage numbers several years ago when he accumulated a ton of garbage yardage because the Texans' defense was terrible, but after last year, it's difficult to imagine him bouncing back. Schaub, of course, set the NFL record for most consecutive games with a pick-six. This all culminated with the home crowd cheering on his injury, so all of that might still be in his head.

Then again, a fresh start in a new home could be exactly what the doctor ordered. Schaub will once again have excellent quarterback coaching aiding him, as offensive coordinator Greg Olson is one of the best in the business. And for a city starved for competent quarterbacking, the Raider fans won't boo Schaub - at least not for a while.

With all of that said, I don't like this move for the Raiders. The late-round pick is no big deal; it's the $11 million that Oakland must pay that is crucial. Schaub is not a good quarterback, so he definitely doesn't deserve that sort of money. Also, there's a chance that Schaub won't even be the Week 1 starter. The Raiders are still in play for a franchise signal-caller at No. 5 overall or perhaps the second round. If they take one, that quarterback could easily beat out Schaub before the season begins.

As for the Texans, they deserve a very high mark because they were able to obtain something for Schaub. Everyone assumed they were simply going to cut him, yet they were somehow able to dupe the Raiders into surrendering a draft pick for him. That's nice work by Houston being patient.

Grade for Raiders - C-
Grade for Texans - A

Back