Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Brian Hoyer to be named Texans starting QB

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
My best guess is the following:

Mallett consistently makes good pre-snap reads and relies on that read almost 100% of the time (explaining his consistency getting rid of the ball so quickly). Therefore, once he has made that read, everything he does subsequently is with the determined intention to throw the ball to that primary read (including looking off the defense, etc..) This process can be quite successful in high school and some college systems, but if he has predetermined where the ball will go pre-snap, and he is not able to move to 2nd and 3rd progressions, the NFL will expose him. Perhaps his poor performance vs. Cincinnati was the result of the Bengal coaches have a week to prepare for him after the Cleveland game (and not simply due to an injured pectoral muscle).

Therefore, having success in relief of Hoyer (KC gameplanned for Hoyer) makes sense. Also, OBrien wanting to keep this week's starter secret would also fit into this theory.

If this is the case (and I hope it isn't), he can look very good against certain teams and in short stints. However, once teams have tape on him and begin game planning for him, they will take serious advantage of him.
I can't say that you're not somewhat correct about the possibility that he may not go through all his reads all the time. But to say that it is purposeful goes way beyond what can be seen in the history of his limited observable play. What I can say is that you do not in any way need to look further for his poor play in the Bengals game than his pectoral injury. Have you ever had a sore pec, simply from lifting weights, then a day or two later tried to throw a spit wad? Well, when you have even a fairly small tear of the pec muscle, you can experience excruciating pain when throwing that spit wad, with less accuracy. Then, with a completely ruptured pec (as was in the case of Mallet) to the excruciating pain and the lessening of the accuracy, you can escalate that to loss of accuracy and lack of velocity, resulting in total inability to do whatever you intended to do with your passes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not to interrupt the flirting but I think y'all were saying throw a 2nd or 3rd to the Pats for Mallett instead of picking a QB #1 overall .
No flirting here. LOL

But I would've given up a 3rd to get Mallett into camp early. After all would you give up Nix or Fiedo to get Mallett here in time to form chemistry with the WR's?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Not to interrupt the flirting but I think y'all were saying throw a 2nd or 3rd to the Pats for Mallett instead of picking a QB #1 overall .
I remember the '14 draft and the things I wanted Qb-wise pretty much as they were unfolding:

1. Teddy Bridgewater - would have taken him at 1-1, would have loved a trade down, was passing out at the idea of getting him at the end of the 1st.
2. Jimmy Garoppolo - wanted him either 2nd or 3rd.
3. Ryan Mallett - would have been happy trading a 3rd.
4. Aaron Murray - would have been happy taking as high as 4th.
5. Tom Savage - was thinking a 5th or 6th flier, and then he happened.

Interesting couple of days that was.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What I can say is that you do not in any way need to look further for his poor play in the Bengals game than his pectoral injury. Have you ever had a sore pec, simply from lifting weights, then a day or two later tried to throw a spit wad? Well, when you have even a fairly small tear of the pec muscle, you can experience excruciating pain when throwing that spit wad, with less accuracy. Then, with a completely ruptured pec (as was in the case of Mallet) to the excruciating pain and the lessening of the accuracy, you can escalate that to loss of accuracy and lack of velocity, resulting in total inability to do whatever you intended to do with your passes.

No doubt the pec injury had a lot to do with it. But after responding to the post you did, I decided to go back & watch that game to see if there were any preconceived throws. I only made it half-way through the 2nd qtr before falling asleep, but... I did not like what I saw.

The case could be made in that game that he made up his mind to make certain throws, maybe before the snap. Twice, he threw to Andre Johnson, after Andre had fallen down. Then there were a couple where Andre just dropped the ball, but the coverage was tight... they showed OB on the sideline a few times & you could see the "WTF" look on his face. First thing I thought of was that Hard Knocks clip, where he's "Why did he throw that ball?"

So there may be some issues there, someone like me (who really wants Mallett to work out) might have overlooked, rationalized, or was plain blinded by hope wouldn't have seen.

Still, those are things that can get better over time, with experience, when a guy is comfortable & not competing for a job. But what we saw from Hoyer; scared, stupid... you can't fix.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
No doubt the pec injury had a lot to do with it. But after responding to the post you did, I decided to go back & watch that game to see if there were any preconceived throws. I only made it half-way through the 2nd qtr before falling asleep, but... I did not like what I saw.

The case could be made in that game that he made up his mind to make certain throws, maybe before the snap. Twice, he threw to Andre Johnson, after Andre had fallen down. Then there were a couple where Andre just dropped the ball, but the coverage was tight... they showed OB on the sideline a few times & you could see the "WTF" look on his face. First thing I thought of was that Hard Knocks clip, where he's "Why did he throw that ball?"

So there may be some issues there, someone like me (who really wants Mallett to work out) might have overlooked, rationalized, or was plain blinded by hope wouldn't have seen.

Still, those are things that can get better over time, with experience, when a guy is comfortable & not competing for a job. But what we saw from Hoyer; scared, stupid... you can't fix.
There is a big difference between making a mistake trying to make something happening, and making a mistake trying to play it safe. Some people play to win. Some people play not to lose. Choosing Fitz and Hoyer as his starting QB's makes me think that OB is playing not to lose. If this team is going to crash and burn this year, I'd rather they do it balls out making spectacular mistakes than hiding behind the skirts of a system.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

The all 22 video in the other post showed Mallett scanning through 3 and 4 reads very quickly. I think he is just efficient at scanning through his reads. Will he lock onto one player pre snap sometimes, probably, but he doesn't do it all the time like you insist he does.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There is a big difference between making a mistake trying to make something happening, and making a mistake trying to play it safe. Some people play to win. Some people play not to lose. Choosing Fitz and Hoyer as his starting QB's makes me think that OB is playing not to lose. If this team is going to crash and burn this year, I'd rather they do it balls out making spectacular mistakes than hiding behind the skirts of a system.
Exactly!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The all 22 video in the other post showed Mallett scanning through 3 and 4 reads very quickly. I think he is just efficient at scanning through his reads. Will he lock onto one player pre snap sometimes, probably, but he doesn't do it all the time like you insist he does.
I'm not insisting anything of the sort. I think you have me confused with someone else.

I responded to a poster saying Mallett was very good at going through his reads, that they're in sync with his drops. That was based on the Cleveland game. I mentioned I hadn't watched Mallett in Sunday's game (I walked out of the stadium before he came on & haven't watched the DVR yet). I was about to watch that game, but decided to watch the Cincinnati game instead. After watching the first half, I reported the case could be made.

Never said he does it all the time... definitely never insisted.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
When you have a compromised wounded throwing upper limb, you are naturally going to quickly narrow down your reads to the options that you may be most likely to still have a chance of making. With a torn pec, your options immediately become more and more limited, and you would naturally automatically focus in on those throws as soon as they become available. This could easily account for why it would seem that Mallet did not always look like he was going through his string of reads.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I can't say that you're not somewhat correct about the possibility that he may not go through all his reads all the time. But to say that it is purposeful goes way beyond what can be seen in the history of his limited observable play. What I can say is that you do not in any way need to look further for his poor play in the Bengals game than his pectoral injury. Have you ever had a sore pec, simply from lifting weights, then a day or two later tried to throw a spit wad? Well, when you have even a fairly small tear of the pec muscle, you can experience excruciating pain when throwing that spit wad, with less accuracy. Then, with a completely ruptured pec (as was in the case of Mallet) to the excruciating pain and the lessening of the accuracy, you can escalate that to loss of accuracy and lack of velocity, resulting in total inability to do whatever you intended to do with your passes.
I hope the theory is incorrect. I have been very high on Mallett. I also have a great deal of respect/trust in O'Brien. However, despite my rose-shaded glasses, I have not seen much from Hoyer to get excited about (not from a lack of trying). So, I am left attempting to figure out how these pieces all fit together and the most likely scenario is that I am wrong about Mallett... Hopefully, as it turns out, I am wrong about Hoyer. The worst scenario is that I am wrong about O'Brien, and he can't see what is clear to me from my television.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I keep seeing people play down or dismiss the effect Mallett's injury had in the Cincy game, and I'm scratching my head. The idea that a QB with a busted wing would only make some bad throws is at least a little shortsighted. If he's going into that game knowing he's awfully limited, and in pain, it's going to affect just about everything involved with how he processes each and every play, from pre-snap through the throw.

Imagine a boxer with a broken hand in the 3rd round. His footwork is going to change to compensate using his other hand. His setup for defense and distancing is going to change. He's going to look like he's overprocessesing every movement instead of it all just being muscle memory and instinctive. Stab a gunslinger in his arm and sabotage his pistol, his entire approach to a shootout is affected.

Argument for a different day, but he should have never played that game.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I keep seeing people play down or dismiss the effect Mallett's injury had in the Cincy game, and I'm scratching my head. The idea that a QB with a busted wing would only make some bad throws is at least a little shortsighted. If he's going into that game knowing he's awfully limited, and in pain, it's going to affect just about everything involved with how he processes each and every play, from pre-snap through the throw.

Imagine a boxer with a broken hand in the 3rd round. His footwork is going to change to compensate using his other hand. His setup for defense and distancing is going to change. He's going to look like he's overprocessesing every movement instead of it all just being muscle memory and instinctive. Stab a gunslinger in his arm and sabotage his pistol, his entire approach to a shootout is affected.

His busted pec definitely had an affect on his throwing in the Cincy game...looked like he was shotpputting it at times...especially on those hitch throws. I think that it was less of a factor in his perfomance in that game though...velocity was good and he was for the most part accurate in his normal ranges. I just watched the all-22 from all of his games from last year & the KC game when he got in ..very accurate when he could set his feet in that 6-10 yd range...12-15+ yd range you don't know what you're going to get especially when defenses are able to move him off his spot and he has to reset his feet.

Hopefully it can be something he gets better at as he continues to play though. If OB thinks he's the right way to go to get us to start winning games, then i'm on board...I just want us to compete and be the best we can be.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Why for a different day and not now!?

There's a fine line between showing toughness and playing through injuries, than playing with an injury that's hurting your team. Texans could have won that game with Fitz.

If he says he's good to go, he better damn be good to go!

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Why for a different day and not now!?

There's a fine line between showing toughness and playing through injuries, than playing with an injury that's hurting your team. Texans could have won that game with Fitz.

If he says he's good to go, he better damn be good to go!
Easy, killer.

This was the guy's big big big chance. He had waited and waited behind Brady. Now he was doing the same behind Ryan freaking Fitzpatrick of all people. He was coming off a mega high in Cleveland. He was playing through the same old adages that have become NFL lore. The adages he was brought up on and brought up playing around. The fact that he saw no other way to handle his business but to try and by any means necessary handle his business shouldn't be a knock. He probably felt turning that opportunity down, injury or not, would have been akin to turing down his lifetime dream.

Consider perspective for just a second, really.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Less a factor how? You're overthinking this. It was a torn pectoral muscle on his throwing arm. It wasn't going to affect velocity as much as range of motion. Balls would sail high. They did. A lot. He would also be, by any reasonable consideration, hesitant. This isn't a really tough one to grasp.

If you don't wanna take my word for it, fair enough, ask the resident resident.

cland

Waterboy
I'm not insisting anything of the sort. I think you have me confused with someone else.

I responded to a poster saying Mallett was very good at going through his reads, that they're in sync with his drops. That was based on the Cleveland game. I mentioned I hadn't watched Mallett in Sunday's game (I walked out of the stadium before he came on & haven't watched the DVR yet). I was about to watch that game, but decided to watch the Cincinnati game instead. After watching the first half, I reported the case could be made.

Never said he does it all the time... definitely never insisted.
I've watched his performance in the Chiefs game around 4 times, he definitely targeted Hopkins in his first few throws--but that was a good thing. I kept seeing Harden in 1-on-1 coverage during Hoyer's performance and couldn't believe we were letting the Chiefs get away more often than not with single and press-single coverage. After Ryan hit him multiple times the Chiefs finally relented to double-teaming him. One of the nicest reads I saw Mallet make was during that play, he checked Harden on the left, gave the secondary receiver a quick look, and then progressed all the way to the right to smoked the ball to Mumphrey for a nice gain.

I agree that he can get a little hasty with his immediate reads, he's missed a read on a linebacker in his was a few times one that almost lead to an easy interception (Browns game.) Hopefully a little actual field time will let him clean up that flaw.

cland

Waterboy
Less a factor how? You're overthinking this. It was a torn pectoral muscle on his throwing arm. It wasn't going to affect velocity as much as range of motion. Balls would sail high. They did. A lot. He would also be, by any reasonable consideration, hesitant. This isn't a really tough one to grasp.

He actually admitted it in the post-game interview, saying that "he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn." I agree that from an overall perspective it was "selfish," then again after 5 years riding the bench I agree with Mollywhoper, it's tough to blame him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

I said i don't think it had much of an affect on his throwing motion, not that it didn't have any affect.
His throws sail high naturally b/c he trys to drill every damn thing....go watch early & (& current) matt stafford and Brett Farve...you'll see some of the same things. You see that kind of stuff all the time with young pitchers when they try to throw harder than they truly have control over.

Furthermore To write off his accuracy issues in the Cincy game as being mostly b/c of that pec injury is a little disingenious as well. The guy had those issues coming out of college for 1...& 2, OB backhandedly dissed Mallet by saying Hoyer was more consistent as one of the reasons he chose Hoyer over him. you saw it in the KC game on that pass to Mumphrey on his 2nd drive & most of the subsequent throws after in that same drive...Even on some of the passes he completes, WR's are jumping up in the air to catch them (Hopkins TD in the KC game). It really is a concious thought for him to put touch on the ball when he throws. If he doesn't think about it everything's coming out hot. It's not only important to get it there timely, it's gotta be catchable. Hopefully he'll have to think about putting touch on a ball less when he throws as he recieves more playing time.

The best parts of the kid's game right now is how he works the pocket and that he senses pressure well & he typically keeps his eyes downfield as he's moving away from pressure. His arm to me honestly right now is a liability more than an asset.

michaelm

vox nihili

I have to wonder if having the pec injury dictated the types of throws he could make, so he was (possibly) locking on to the shorter route out of physical necessity.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I said i don't think it had much of an affect on his throwing motion, not that it didn't have any affect.
His throws sail high naturally b/c he trys to drill every damn thing....go watch early & (& current) matt stafford and Brett Farve...you'll see some of the same things. You see that kind of stuff all the time with young pitchers when they try to throw harder than they truly have control over.

Furthermore To write off his accuracy issues in the Cincy game as being mostly b/c of that pec injury is a little disingenious as well. The guy had those issues coming out of college for 1...& 2, OB backhandedly dissed Mallet by saying Hoyer was more consistent as one of the reasons he chose Hoyer over him. you saw it in the KC game on that pass to Mumphrey on his 2nd drive & most of the subsequent throws after in that same drive...Even on some of the passes he completes, WR's are jumping up in the air to catch them (Hopkins TD in the KC game). It really is a concious thought for him to put touch on the ball when he throws. If he doesn't think about it everything's coming out hot. It's not only important to get it there timely, it's gotta be catchable. Hopefully he'll have to think about putting touch on a ball less when he throws as he recieves more playing time.

The best parts of the kid's game right now is how he works the pocket and that he senses pressure well & he typically keeps his eyes downfield as he's moving away from pressure. His arm to me honestly right now is a liability more than an asset.
Doc says it Def affects accuracy I will take his word on it.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I agree the guy can sail a few. Absolutely. No one is arguing that. But you're actually downplaying a torn pectoral muscle on a quarterback's throwing arm.

The game shouldn't even get graded is the thing. It's a wash to say what may have been his pec feeling like it was tearing from his chest or a Nuke Laloosh fastball in that game. You can't possibly watch it, I don't care what kind of film you have, and judge one throw from the next. And that's barely touching on how the setup to every single play was going down for him mentally.

That game is really a no-contest in any honest evaluation.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I've watched his performance in the Chiefs game around 4 times, he definitely targeted Hopkins in his first few throws--but that was a good thing. I kept seeing Harden in 1-on-1 coverage during Hoyer's performance and couldn't believe we were letting the Chiefs get away more often than not with single and press-single coverage. After Ryan hit him multiple times the Chiefs finally relented to double-teaming him. One of the nicest reads I saw Mallet make was during that play, he checked Harden on the left, gave the secondary receiver a quick look, and then progressed all the way to the right to smoked the ball to Mumphrey for a nice gain.

I agree that he can get a little hasty with his immediate reads, he's missed a read on a linebacker in his was a few times one that almost lead to an easy interception (Browns game.) Hopefully a little actual field time will let him clean up that flaw.
But how many free throws did he make?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So that there is no misunderstanding or misinterpretation or attempt at minimization as to the devastating effects that the injury had on Mallet in the Bengals game:

From Nov 24 2014:
link

As an aside, Mallet threw quite a few passes high........it takes the pec muscle to bring the arm down. If you're trying to avoid using the pec due to pain, your going to try to use mostly your at-the-elbow triceps action (or even twisting and using your entire body for that extra "oomph") to complete your passes.......leading to high flying passes and overall inaccuracies we witnessed yesterday..
His missiles would have still come from an evidently extremely strong triceps.
Not only that, but it also takes a pec muscle to throw across your body to the opposite (left) side of the field with any velocity or accuracy To even try to compensate, he would have to turn the entire body to face his target (or exaggerated to the left), in which case his foot work and mechanics would be unnatural, awkward and totally messed up............exactly what we saw.

Anyone trying to look past his pec injury as the MAJOR and only important cause of his poor performance during that Bengals game might as well be digging for fool's gold a mile deep. Once a pec rupture occurs, a QB might as well hang it up, because every facet of his game is going to be a mess.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I agree the guy can sail a few. Absolutely. No one is arguing that. But you're actually downplaying a torn pectoral muscle on a quarterback's throwing arm.

The game shouldn't even get graded is the thing. It's a wash to say what may have been his pec feeling like it was tearing from his chest or a Nuke Laloosh fastball in that game. You can't possibly watch it, I don't care what kind of film you have, and judge one throw from the next. And that's barely touching on how the setup to every single play was going down for him mentally.

That game is really a no-contest in any honest evaluation.
This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sandman

Brexit Advisor

Context on accuracy

Mallett Browns game = 66.7%
Mallett Bengals game = 46.7%
Mallett Chiefs game = 61.5%

Where is the outlier? In the game where he was throwing with a broke man boob.

Hoyer 2014 season = 55.3%
Hoyer Chiefs game = 52.9%

And yet, Hoyer has been touted as the consistently more accurate of the two. In closed practices. With no live pressure.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Context on accuracy

And yet, Hoyer has been touted as the consistently more accurate of the two. In closed practices. With no live pressure.
Even in the open practices, people have said that Hoyer is a little more accurate than Mallett.

The guy is just a gamer. Gamers don't show up in practice.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Even in the open practices, people have said that Hoyer is a little more accurate than Mallett.

I remember something from Mallett back in OTA's about wait until the pads are on and live bullets are flying.

99% of us play like we practice. But there are those rare few who just seem to be a different player when it counts. Hope we get to find out if that is the case with Mallett, or there just isn't enough tape on him to game plan yet.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I think the media will key on the feeling they get from the Head Coach... kinda like McClain does. So if they feel that OB is leaning towards Hoyer, which all the signs pointed to, they're going to talk up his choice.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Context on accuracy

Keep in mind that was with the Chief's defense knowing he was going to throw every time which makes it all that more impressive.

Hervoyel

BUENO!

I disagree. The odd wild throw was there the week before but against Cincinnati he was so much worse and it was consistently worse through the whole game. It never stopped. I think it did affect his accuracy to some degree.