Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rebuilding this team

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
O’Brien left us in a terrible position cap wise and draft capital wise. who can we trade for picks and who gets cut after this year? I gotta believe QB is the only untouchable. Even “highest paid” LT can go for right price. Could we get a 2nd for Watt? Maybe a 3rd or 4th for cooks or fuller? Anyone else have any trade value? Reid for a 3rd? I’m fully onboard with tearing this thing down as soon as possible and to the maximum extent possible. Who has a lot of dead $ left? Basically everyone give me your fastest rebuild plan to real contention.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
I'd let Watson call his own plays the rest of the year and watch him regain the/his 'joy' of which he speaks...
and then I may take a look at shipping out aged/unproductive high salaried players for some young talent or draft picks we lack and completely rebuild this team around Watson with a playbook and attitude designed around his strengths (see Reid and Mahomes).. not what some guy (Bob) thought should work.
The real question is.. who are the candidates that deserve a shot to take the reigns?

Sonny

TexSon Proud
A member of my inner circle of fanatic friends immediately thought Eric Benemy may be a contender.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
My proposal last summer and this summer was this: Load up on vets with 1 or 2 yr deals. The seasoned vets are better and more accomplished than some of your younger players, especially on the dline. They lost Reader, Snacks and Poe were sitting there. You have 2 lbs who can't cover, Kendricks is sitting there as well as a hybrid like Bucannon. Add depth with vets and keep drafting. They also need better coaching on both lines. Devlin is terrible and I'm not sure how good Weaver was.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
If this team hires a good coach they'll be fine.
Not having a 1st and 2nd mattered more when OB was coach since he cant develop talent and has to buy it.

With a coach that develops players this team has enough to compete for now.
It's a good point. Very good point.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You really don’t have to rebuild anything. We just need a HC who will come in a push these guys to play to their strengths. Who is going to actually know the rules works and etc.

A GM who will be on the same page as his HC/OC and DC. He will bring in players to fit the systems that will be employed.

JWTexans

Waterboy
It's gonna be a long tough rebuild. As far as offense the only player that would be worth trading may be Watson, but only if you want to tear it down from scratch. He would prove difficult to move not only because of his contract, but because of the talented class coming in this year with Lawrence, Fields, and Lance with most of the teams in position for a top 10 pick already having their QBs of the future.
Fuller is the only skill position player that has any trade value, but he's looking at free agency at the end of the year.
Tunsil is the only lineman worth trading, but nobody is taking that contract.
On the defense, who really has any value whatsoever that will land you anything more than a 3rd? Watt isn't bringing you a 2nd or 3rs back anymore. Reid maybe. The rest of the guys are JAGs, with some of them being high priced JAGs(Mercilus, Cunningham, McKinney).
This team is devoid of any high caliber talent at every position outside of QB.
I'd try and see what I could get in the 2022 draft for some of those guys just to cut some of the money and sign low rental vets, give some younger guys like Omenihu, Blacklock, Greenard, and John Reid some consistent PT and sew what we have there.
Its gonna get darker before it gets brighter unfortunately.

bigmck

Rookie
O’Brien left us in a terrible position cap wise and draft capital wise. who can we trade for picks and who gets cut after this year? I gotta believe QB is the only untouchable. Even “highest paid” LT can go for right price. Could we get a 2nd for Watt? Maybe a 3rd or 4th for cooks or fuller? Anyone else have any trade value? Reid for a 3rd? I’m fully onboard with tearing this thing down as soon as possible and to the maximum extent possible. Who has a lot of dead $ left? Basically everyone give me your fastest rebuild plan to real contention.
Don't tear up the team this year. Give Romeo a chance this year and the new coach in 2021 a chance to work with what we have. If 2021 is a bad year, then tear up the team and rebuild.

bigmck

Rookie
If this team hires a good coach they'll be fine.
Not having a 1st and 2nd mattered more when OB was coach since he cant develop talent and has to buy it.

With a coach that develops players this team has enough to compete for now.
What kind of Draft Picks will we have in the spring of 2021?

LikeMike

Veteran
Not sure we need a rebuild - I like the talent of this team, especially the offense. Our biggest problems on offense was the O-line (that has the talent, but doesn't perform) and the lackluster play designs that failed, to scheme receivers open. Both of these things could be improved with coaching.
Our defense looks a lot worse. But still, there is no excuse for giving up the edge on run plays like we did this season - that's coaching. And our two ILBs strength is to stop the run. Our run defense should be better. But on this side of the ball we definetly need some help. But not enough to call this a rebuild.

What we need is better coaching and execution.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not sure we need a rebuild - I like the talent of this team, especially the offense. Our biggest problems on offense was the O-line (that has the talent, but doesn't perform) and the lackluster play designs that failed, to scheme receivers open. Both of these things could be improved with coaching.
Our defense looks a lot worse. But still, there is no excuse for giving up the edge on run plays like we did this season - that's coaching. And our two ILBs strength is to stop the run. Our run defense should be better. But on this side of the ball we definetly need some help. But not enough to call this a rebuild.

What we need is better coaching and execution.
Yet some want Weaver to stay on.

Improved QB play should also be on your list.

LikeMike

Veteran
Yet some want Weaver to stay on.

Improved QB play should also be on your list.
A better run game improves the QBs game. Improve pass blocking improves the QBs game. Improve play design to schemes receivers open and really include TEs and HBs improve the QBs game. I am with you that Watson has been part of the problem this year. But all the surrounding problems didn't help him. If we do get a great coach with a great game plan and playcalling and he continues this 'one good half ond bad half' crap and doesn't elevate his game, then I am ready to question his ability to be a Superbowl-MVP kind of QB. But I doubt it. He is the least of my worries right now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why is easterby still here?

I have no faith in a rebuild if he's leading it
We don't have a GM. I don't know if Easterby is handling GM duties for now, but we need someone to be setting up & conducting workouts & physicals of available players throughout the year.

I don't know that Easterby is handling that. If he's not... yeah, get rid of him. If he is... quickly find someone else to do it & get rid of him.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
I would keep the following players and the rest would be eligible for trade or cuts:

Deshaun Watson (Franchise QB)
Tytus Howard (Good Tackle; young; cheap)
Max Scharping (Good Guard; young; cheap)
Charles Omenihu (Reasonably good production; young; cheap)
Zach Cunningham (Great LB; young)
Jacob Martin (Reasonably good production; young; cheap)
Bradley Roby (Great CB; fairly young)
Justin Reid (Great Safety; young, cheap)

There are others on the roster who might fit into a new system, but I think the focus should be finding value FA pickups and draft picks to build around the new coaching philosophy. I think all the players above have the tools to work in multiple systems and improve with better coaching. I wouldn't mind a few years of heavy dead cap hits to build a team with dynasty potential.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I don't want to do a total re-build. We simply don't have the resources to do a competent re-build. Instead, I want to hire a coaching staff that can convince me he can take what we currently have and win.

spek

Hopeless Wanderer
My proposal last summer and this summer was this: Load up on vets with 1 or 2 yr deals. The seasoned vets are better and more accomplished than some of your younger players, especially on the dline. They lost Reader, Snacks and Poe were sitting there. You have 2 lbs who can't cover, Kendricks is sitting there as well as a hybrid like Bucannon. Add depth with vets and keep drafting. They also need better coaching on both lines. Devlin is terrible and I'm not sure how good Weaver was.
Isn't this supposedly what Obrien did for this season?:thinking: as far as the bringing in the vets goes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So one more year of that abortion of a deal? Lord, have mercy.
Cut him and save 7 mil on the cap. Letting Stills walk saves another 7 mil. I think letting N.Martin and Fulton walk will save a bunch of money.

With that kind of money saved you can get a CB1 and a vet NT in fa.

Then draft a cover LB in the 3rd and a S/OG and the defense will be alot better.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Isn't this supposedly what Obrien did for this season?:thinking: as far as the bringing in the vets goes.
He was talking about cheap/inexpensive older vets that can tidy the team over for a year or two by the mentioning of those names.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I really don't know what management / ownership is thinking - Total rebuild ? OB was the main problem - we're a good team that needs some tweaks?

I just don't think they are good - particularly the defense. Its loaded with bloated contract underachievers and JAG's.
The offense isn't much better aside from Watson's "potential".

Couple that with the cap situation and Covid economics .... I lean to a total rebuild.

But that could definitely differ from ownership's image of the team ...

For me , the rest of this season and next would be clearing the decks contractually and creating as much cap room and draft capital for 2022 since there just isn't much of either for 21 - its going to be very difficult for this team to improve over the next offseason talent wise.

2020 was just a wasted year ... Would have been some much better to have cut ties with OB after 51-7 and jumpstarted the process with a new coach this year.

That Tunsil trade looks worse every day ....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I really don't know what management / ownership is thinking - Total rebuild ? OB was the main problem - we're a good team that needs some tweaks?

I just don't think they are good - particularly the defense. Its loaded with bloated contract underachievers and JAG's.

Couple that with the cap situation and Covid economics .... I lean to a total rebuild.

For me , the rest of this season and next would be clearing the decks contractually and creating as much cap room and draft capital for 2022 since there just isn't much of either for 21 - its going to be very difficult for this team to improve over the next offseason talent wise.

2020 was just a wasted year ... Would have been some much better to have cut ties with OB after 51-7 and jumpstarted the process with a new coach this year.

They can cut Watt/DJ/Stills/Cooks/N.Martin and create a bunch of cap space to start the rebuild early.

With that kind of savings you could add a NT/CB1 a LB that can cover in FA. You could then use your draft picks to fix the offense. I would bring back Kelemete and let him play one of the OG spots and draft a young C. The rest of the draft would be spent on BPA and looking forward to 2022. They should be able to find a cheap wr in fa or the draft

Do you re-sign WFV or redo Cooks deal which will save a bunch of cap space too?

The point is all is not lost and they can spend the next 2 yrs building up the team and finding out if DW4 is a true franchise QB, or if he's a coach killer under the new regime.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They can cut Watt/DJ/Stills/Cooks/N.Martin and create a bunch of cap space to start the rebuild early.

With that kind of savings you could add a NT/CB1 a LB that can cover in FA. You could then use your draft picks to fix the offense. I would bring back Kelemete and let him play one of the OG spots and draft a young C. The rest of the draft would be spent on BPA and looking forward to 2022. They should be able to find a cheap wr in fa or the draft

The point is all is not lost and they can spend the next 2 yrs building up the team and finding out if DW4 is a true franchise QB, or if he's a coach killer under the new regime.
In principle I agree with this. If you're gonna do a rebuild, then rebuild. Keep a few pieces of your favorite furniture and burn the rest down.

banned1976

sleeper mode
We don't have a GM. I don't know if Easterby is handling GM duties for now, but we need someone to be setting up & conducting workouts & physicals of available players throughout the year.

I don't know that Easterby is handling that. If he's not... yeah, get rid of him. If he is... quickly find someone else to do it & get rid of him.
I want him gone especially if he’s handling GM duties. He’s not qualified to do that job. The McNair’s are going to have to eat some salaries but such is life for a billionaire family that doesn’t know enough about owing and operating an NFL franchise.

Then they need to make some phone calls and hire a team of consultants. There are knowledgeable football people out there that can help the McNair’s bridge the gap this year until the offseason when they can interview GM candidates.

Step three is to allow the GM to interview HC candidates.

Whatever the Texans decides to do in the future, step one must happen immediately before Easterby is allowed to screw things up even more than it is now, if that’s even possible.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

WFV .... man I just don't know what to think. He's a great #2 when he's healthy - emphasis on when. I just can't see giving him a big money contract because of the history.

Cooks has no dead money next year and isn't exactly setting the world on fire this season.
He's replaceable for less IMO. Question is would he prefer being cut over restructuring and picking his next team ?? I don't see them paying him $12m next year ....

Watt - Just not worth the cost for this team 15m this season and 17.5 next year. If it were up to me , I'd trade him for whatever draft assets I could get right now. I'm sure some contender might take him as a year and a half rental thinking he puts them over the top.

I'd also shop McKinney & Mercilus just to clear the cap space for 2022 and beyond. Both could be replaced much cheaper .... Just have to hope some contender thinks they can help them.

austins23

Hall of Fame

I can get on board with this, but all of this will take a very bright, qualified GM to get it done. (captain obvious)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Here's a link to OverTheCap

The very last column is the savings we would have if we were to cut that player. If the number is red, it means it would cost more to cut him, than keep him. However, even that player may be a candidate for a June 1st cut which would spread the dead money over two years. Click on the player name & you can see if there are any guarantees that take affect before June 1st. If so, that player is not a good June 1st cut candidate.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
According to OverTheCap we can save $40.2M by cutting 6 players.

David Johnson $6.9M
Nick Martin $6.2M
Brandin Cooks $12M
Bernardrick McKinney $7M
Zack Fulton $3M
Duke Johnson $5.1M

$40.2M isn't a bad chunk of change. I know this is most likely not completely accurate & we don't know what the cap will be next season... But these guys are probably on their way out. Maybe they can redo some contracts. But I don't think we'll be hurting much worse if we were to get rid of all of them.

Edit: I didn't even see the $17.5M we'd save by cutting/trading Jj Watt.

$57.5M after cutting Jj Watt

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
According to OverTheCap we can save $40.2M by cutting 6 players.

David Johnson $6.9M
Nick Martin $6.2M
Brandin Cooks $12M
Bernardrick McKinney $7M
Zack Fulton $3M
Duke Johnson $5.1M

$40.2M isn't a bad chunk of change. I know this is most likely not completely accurate & we don't know what the cap will be next season... But these guys are probably on their way out. Maybe they can redo some contracts. But I don't think we'll be hurting much worse if we were to get rid of all of them.

Edit: I didn't even see the $17.5M we'd save by cutting/trading Jj Watt.

$57.5M after cutting Jj Watt
I have to imagine we could trade Watt instead of cutting him

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Yep. Just have to bite the bullet and endure a few years of cutting and accumulating talent and draft capital.

Of course, that all depends on making good hires for their front office, and the jury will be out on that for a while.

I was having a feeling of "beginning of the end" when Gaine was fired and they were embarrassed by the Caserio debacle. It just reeked of bush league moves. Championship organizations, or at least ones striving for it, rarely commit so many dumb and seemingly irrational mistakes.

You have to let go of Watt to get this started and I just don't see Janice letting Cal do this.
Yep. QFT. And this is one of the inherent problems with these owners. They allow their emotional attachments and sentimentality to make very unqualified decisions about football operations.

It's one thing to make a mistake on a failed piece of merchandise or concourse restaurant. But they continue to let their inexperience infect the football side of things to their detriment.

Obviously, it's their right to do so as owners. However, it's also my right as a fan/customer to analyze their decisions and either applaud or point and laugh.