Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Really Early 2024 Mock Draft…..

Yep. He ripped his helmet off and damn near threw it at the guys face. That would have been a 15 yard penalty and possibly an ejection if he does that in a game. Doing that in front of a bunch of professional scouts is just flat stupid.
Did you ever see him do that in the game? I'm not saying it was right, I'm saying moreso that's the kind of body type/player to play next to a smaller dt like Newton. I saw alot of people who was hype about the the big ot that was drafted by the saints because he was finishing plays when in reality he was getting his ass kicked by a smaller play and he was pushing and shoving post play. Stuff like that happens at the sr bowl. That's a teaching experience.

LSU Smith is a guy I would look at putting to Newton. But what I really want is Wilkins next to Newton. Newton is much better than Kancey IMHO.
That would be a good look. I'm not sure Newton is better than Kancey, but I understand the concept. Kancey played well this year. Its hard playing inside like that as a rookie or young player. Mason has tremendous talent alone, but he didn't play well last year and he really only have 1 year of tape. If someone can get him to play hot and low, he's a all pro waiting to happen.

They have the most drafted and most expensive ol in NFL and you want to burn another 1st rd pick? When you have a top shelf qb they have to negotiate in areas that are lacking. That's what makes them special. There is no way I would spend any more resources on the o line. They already have 3 1st rd picks and a 2nd d pick tied up. Imo, they have more pressing positions.
As of today they do not have a right tackle and may not have by game 1. It doesn't matter if every other position on the offensive line has a first round if we have an open hole, that needs to be addressed. I am not saying it has to be at 1.23 but either in free agency or somewhere in the draft we need to find a starter. We cannot wait until preseason game 1 to start looking. It is not about how much we have spent or how much draft capital on other positions.

If Howard comes back at least 90% healthy he will still be just above average as a right tackle. Ryans could decide that he is okay with that but I hopefully think he will not.

Tunsil played with a bad knee and still shut down Garrett and TJ. Not to mention, why would you eat all that money? As long as he's healthy and the way he plays, he can do that for awhile. Getting better in the run game falls on alot of players. You don't have to be Baltimore, just be able to run it when you need to.
concerning running, we have not been able to and we probably will not be able to in 2024 and unless we make some sort of drastic overhaul, we will not in 2025 either. We keep saying we have to have a running game, yet we have not and do not. That's why I am suggesting we use what we have and increase the passing game.

I don't see it. He's a body catcher 1 trick pony. Looks like a 3rd rd pick to me, but thats just me
I think it's really interesting that you think that Jermaine Burton would be a round three pick as that is exactly where 3.86 and Texansphan has him being picked. 🫡

concerning running, we have not been able to and we probably will not be able to in 2024 and unless we make some sort of drastic overhaul, we will not in 2025 either. We keep saying we have to have a running game, yet we have not and do not. That's why I am suggesting we use what we have and increase the passing game.
That's where I'm at. The last 5 championship squads weren't running teams. You just have to run enough in 4 minute offense and to make teams respect you. If you upgrade the rb position either by draft or free agency, that's good enough. We seen Motor run effective enough, but he's suppose to be a compliment. If you can run middle of the pack and add to the passing game, that's superbowl worthy.

As of today they do not have a right tackle and may not have by game 1. It doesn't matter if every other position on the offensive line has a first round if we have an open hole, that needs to be addressed. I am not saying it has to be at 1.23 but either in free agency or somewhere in the draft we need to find a starter. We cannot wait until preseason game 1 to start looking. It is not about how much we have spent or how much draft capital on other positions.

If Howard comes back at least 90% healthy he will still be just above average as a right tackle. Ryans could decide that he is okay with that but I hopefully think he will not.
Yeah, more than likely a rookie is going to need time also,correct. They can bring back Jones or Fant until Howard is 100% Hopefully Scruggs is ready to be the guy at center and Green makes a jump.

Reactions: JB
Did you ever see him do that in the game? I'm not saying it was right, I'm saying moreso that's the kind of body type/player to play next to a smaller dt like Newton. I saw alot of people who was hype about the the big ot that was drafted by the saints because he was finishing plays when in reality he was getting his ass kicked by a smaller play and he was pushing and shoving post play. Stuff like that happens at the sr bowl. That's a teaching experience.
I didn't watch him close enough to know his temperament in games. Teaching moment? Sure if it goes something like this, "if you ever ******* do that again you're off this team". There are enough DT's that I like. Sweat or Jackson have the same body type.

I'm just looking for a bigger & faster guy
He's a fast guy. He's only 5'11 175, but its part of the basketball team. Nico is the big x 6'4, Tank is the moveable y, and Tahj is in between who can also get deep, but catch the in between. I mean he was 18 ypc and he's a hand catcher also with production. He produced at memphis before going to USC

Yeah, more than likely a rookie is going to need time also,correct. They can bring back Jones or Fant until Howard is 100% Hopefully Scruggs is ready to be the guy at center and Green makes a jump.
Fant has to know that his time is limited as a starter with Houston even if Howard does not start for 2024. I think if Fant gets a chance to start elsewhere in a better situation he will leave.

Howard has never been above avg at anytime in his career. Caserio was betting on his improvement. A bad bet IMHO.

Howard has never been above avg at anytime in his career. Caserio was betting on his improvement. A bad bet IMHO.

He isn’t a guard or a LT. when healthy and strictly at RT, he has been above average there, and ascending imho. I don’t think he is maxed out at all. He has the talent to be a top 10 RT or even top 5. That requires health, a system that suits him, good coaching, being out at RT only, and his own dedication and hard work.

An ascending player at a still young age is like buying a stock. You are buying what you think of future performance, not the past. Based on the contract given, I’d say that Nick and I are more aligned then you…who looks backwards instead of forward.

And for the record, I’m talking pre-injury. Now we have a potential issue there, but I am talking about the environment at the time the contract was given.

He isn’t a guard or a LT. when healthy and strictly at RT, he has been above average there, and ascending imho. I don’t think he is maxed out at all. He has the talent to be a top 10 RT or even top 5. That requires health, a system that suits him, good coaching, being out at RT only, and his own dedication and hard work.

An ascending player at a still young age is like buying a stock. You are buying what you think of future performance, not the past. Based on the contract given, I’d say that Nick and I are more aligned then you…who looks backwards instead of forward.

And for the record, I’m talking pre-injury. Now we have a potential issue there, but I am talking about the environment at the time the contract was given.
And put a good RG next to him and that's even better.

Ascending? When did this happen?

Looking back? I called this before they signed him to that contract. Top 5-10 LMAO. You're right Nick and you were aligned on bringing back Howard and I bet if you asked Nick if he would like a do over his answer would be a resounding yes.

Ascending? When did this happen?

Looking back? I called this before they signed him to that contract. Top 5-10 LMAO. You're right Nick and you were aligned on bringing back Howard and I bet if you asked Nick if he would like a do over his answer would be a resounding yes.

Nick has never answered any question with a resounding yes.

LOL

I bet you he would answer this question with a resounding yes, if he was being truthful.

So what you are saying is hindsight is 20/20. Welcome to the club. Can you kindly provide me with last nights lotto numbers. Or did you know Howard would have two significant injuries last year?

So what you are saying is hindsight is 20/20. Welcome to the club. Can you kindly provide me with last nights lotto numbers. Or did you know Howard would have two significant injuries last year?

No hindsight was needed here. He's never been more than avg when healthy. He's now being paid as if he's one of the top 10 OT's (Which he's never been and never will be) in the NFL. SMH, and some posters think I never criticize Caserio? Whatever happened to those Caserio sucks posters around here? They've been mighty quite lately.

It was a bad draft pick and they doubled down with a bad extension. Now comes the time they will be paying a heavy price for a bad decision.

It was a bad draft pick and they doubled down with a bad extension. Now comes the time they will be paying a heavy price for a bad decision.
At least they didn't go with your guy (and most others here) Andre Dillard who was benched by his second team already

At least they didn't go with your guy (and most others here) Andre Dillard who was benched by his second team already
And the Eagles traded up over us to get him.
Thank goodness because I think he was the target.

I can definitely make a case that Dillard would've been a better pick. If Dillard was the pick he would be gone by now and upgraded the position. Instead the Texans are stuck with 18 mil against the cap this offseason. That money sure would come in handy this FA period. You can thank Caserio for this, he decided to pay Howard like a top 10 OT. Not a top 10 LT, but a top 10 OT in all of the NFL. SMH

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Here's another mock I like. Murphy/Gray/Bishop would give us three solid pieces to add to our defense. Follow that with a couple playmakers for Stroud with Ray Davis and Malik Washington in the 4th. Traded #222 and a 5th next year for pick #162 and took M.J. Devonshire. Thoughts?

1708656066046.png

Some thoughts on what I was looking for:

42) McConkey : A separator at WR. Takes Woods’ targets and role on team with athletic upside for big plays unlike Woods. Also becomes PR allowing Tank to focus on offense. Gives CJ his 3rd down gotta have it target. A reliable 5 rec 50 yard/game threat with upside for more.

59) Sweat : BPA. Will only play around 30% of snaps until NFL S&C can get his weight down. But each of those snaps will count. And in a division where you’re competing with the Colts, you want to deploy Sweat when they are intent on ramming Taylor down your throat.

When you need the opposing offense to get out of a run heavy game script to play keep away from CJ, you send in Sweat.

86) Bishop: Future starting safety. Insurance for Jimmie Ward. Also allows team flexibility to move Pitre to nickel. Can be a solid starter at the next level, good value pick here.

123) Wright : I want to inject speed into this offense. Mcconkey has more juice than Woods, albeit an underneath threat. Wright makes it a track meet when he gives Mixon a break. 25.4% of his carries went 10+ yards last season, that’s exactly what i’m looking for out of a change of pace back. Stress defenses with speed.

127) Hart : He’s a traits based pick. Has upside to be a starting outside CB. If it doesn’t work out, he has a shot to be a solid ST with his measurables like Lonnie Johnson has become. Good spot to take a shot at that player here.

188) Guerendo : The direct competition for Pierce. Physical runner who doesn’t play up to his 4.3 speed. As the RB3 you need to be a willing ST player and Guerendo will do that. If coaches can figure out how to unleash that athleticism then this offense just added another playmaker. Can find a way on the roster through ST with upside for backup RB duties.

238) Rouse : Great value play here. Has upside to develop into a solid swing OT. OL take awhile to develop but I think he has the experience to compete for a roster spot and that’s what you’re looking for at this point in the draft.

247) Hampton : Lots of experience for Hampton with good measurables. Can find a way on ST and be quality depth at safety. Great value in 7th.

1710686809474.png

If the draft fell this way, i’d be confident Texans found atleast 4 guys that make a weekly impact year 1 with upside for more.

Last edited:
From the PFN sim-

42- T'Vondre Sweat, DT
59- Michael Hall Jr., DT
86- Cole Bishop, S
123- Delmar Glaze, OT
127- Jermaine Burton, WR
188- Tyrone Tracy Jr., RB
238- Tip Reiman, TE
247- Gabriel Murphy, EDGE

The board didn't break down how I would have liked, but I could live with this. I expect the doubling up on DTs will be unpopular, but they bring such different skillets that I think they'd both see plenty of playing time. I don't love Burton, but he's worth a gamble in the mid rounds. I certainly wouldn't take him any earlier than I did here.

Back