Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason: Texans vs Dolphins

LoL, what I say you may disagree with and I embrace that. But if I have strong opinions, I don't need to suck the PFF tit to develop my opinions. Sorry I don't put up pretty pics or a spreadsheet for everybody to see. I'm sure if I did that would get you a little twingy down south of the equator.
You two crack me up, bickering like an old couple for years.

Just an aside comment regarding injuries...............I'm not sure that it is such a great idea to have joint practices, especially 2 in 1 week. The intensity in these practices comes close to that seen in games (which seems to be part of what coaches are wanting to get out of them.) However, many players are getting banged up in these intense practices and many are expected to play in a game just a couple of days later, leading to more or extended injuries. If the short week Thursday Night Football is not a "healthy" option, then the joint practices, especially 2 in 1 week is a worse idea. The NFL will eventually decrease the number of preseason games, while finding a way to heavily monetize joint practices.............and extend the season to 18 regular games.

You two crack me up, bickering like an old couple for years.
I usually put him on ignore, but at the start of the year every year I take him off. Then he does what he does. I still haven't put him back on ignore but after the Mahomes lie that he's put a lot of work in to perpetuate it won't be long before he rejoins the list. Why ? Because I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Just an aside comment regarding injuries...............I'm not sure that it is such a great idea to have joint practices, especially 2 in 1 week. The intensity in these practices comes close to that seen in games (which seems to be part of what coaches are wanting to get out of them.) However, many players are getting banged up in these intense practices and many are expected to play in a game just a couple of days later, leading to more or extended injuries. If the short week Thursday Night Football is not a "healthy" option, then the joint practices, especially 2 in 1 week is a worse idea. The NFL will eventually decrease the number of preseason games, while finding a way to heavily monetize joint practices.............and extend the season to 18 regular games.

I don't see the difference of going hard in practice against your own team or doing it against another, other than to be able to better gauge yourself. Football is a violent, physical sport. Injuries are going to happen. You're not going to avoid them. But players need to get their work in at some point. That just doesn't happen much in PS games anymore. And coaches need to evaluate their teams and I believe that's harder to do when you only play against your own team.

LoL, what I say you may disagree with and I embrace that. But if I have strong opinions, I don't need to suck the PFF tit to develop my opinions. Sorry I don't put up pretty pics or a spreadsheet for everybody to see. I'm sure if I did that would get you a little twingy down south of the equator.
This is the sht that happens when you can't win an argument.
You begin to try to discredit people and things.
Nobody ever said PFF is gospel.
I was the one that actually brought up that fact the very first time the guy from PFF came on to the board to recruit and to sell his website.
But PFF does have certain merit, just as Football Outsiders, and the professionals that teach and/or play the game.
All 32 NFL teams are clients of PFF.
Enough said.

This is the sht that happens when you can't win an argument.
You begin to try to discredit people and things.
Nobody ever said PFF is gospel.
I was the one that actually brought up that fact the very first time the guy from PFF came on to the board to recruit and to sell his website.
But PFF does have certain merit, just as Football Outsiders, and the professionals that teach and/or play the game.
All 32 NFL teams are clients of PFF.
Enough said.
I’ll bet you all 32 NFL teams read this forum, too, they are all doubtless extremely interested in everything that gets written about them, but I bet it’s more for marketing reasons than coaching.

I’ll bet you all 32 NFL teams read this forum, too, they are all doubtless extremely interested in everything that gets written about them, but I bet it’s more for marketing reasons than coaching.
Also more then 80 FBS teams are their clients, including 75% of teams in the Power 5.

Edit: Actually, I just check and the number has grown to 130 FBS teams as of April 2023.

Last edited:
Also, Cris Collinsworth is now the owner if PFF.

I'm sure that guy knows more about pro football than most, if not all the people on this MB.

DeMeco Ryans on CJ Stroud. “Overall, just with the operation of the offense about CJ was more efficient. He felt more comfortable. Everyone around him played better, which allowed him to play better. Proud of the progress that CJ took this week.”

DeMeco Ryans said Tank Dell felt a little tightness pregame. They thought it was best to sit him. But Ryans says Dell will be fine.

DeMeco Ryans on QB1: "You'll see the starter when we get to Baltimore."

CJ Stroud says it all about “making everyone better ..and I'm taking steps every week so I'm really excited for the future man and actually appreciate the mistakes and the lessons learned.”

CJ Stroud says he think he’s can be a really good player in this league but adds he has to become consistent. “I’ve show flashes of that, but it doesn't matter if you don’t do things consistently. Everybody can do it one time.”

Why is he being so difficult/secretive with naming his starting quarterback?

I don't see the difference of going hard in practice against your own team or doing it against another, other than to be able to better gauge yourself. Football is a violent, physical sport. Injuries are going to happen. You're not going to avoid them. But players need to get their work in at some point. That just doesn't happen much in PS games anymore. And coaches need to evaluate their teams and I believe that's harder to do when you only play against your own team.
Teams go much harder against opponents that they do against their own. No argument re. experience need. There are too many allowed on the rosters (90)and not enough time to evaluate. Then lengthen preseason or allow more cutdown periods..........or both.

With that in mind I find it hard to believe anyone who says they saw improvement in CJ.

Cj looked good Saturday, that's true. He didn't look good last week. So I get that part of it.

But we already knew he looks good when he's well protected. Yesterday he was well protected.

He looked like rookie Keenum last week under ridiculous amount of pressure.

Everyone struggles under pressure. I understand, but the great QBs, even though they'll struggle from time to time, they generally play well under pressure. They've done so consistently.

That's not Stroud's reputation.

Last edited:
RB Achane suffered a left A/C shoulder separation when he was gang tackled yesterday. He will probably be rested, rehabbed and shot up in order to play in week 1 of the regular season.

With that in mind I find it hard to believe anyone who says they saw improvement in CJ.

Cj looked good Saturday, that's true. He didn't look good last week. So I get that part of it.

But we already knew he looks good when he's well protected. Yesterday he was well protected.

Everyone struggles under pressure. I understand, but the great QBs, even though they'll struggle from time to time, they generally play well under pressure. They've done so consistently.

When great QB's get pressured, they typically have great personnel in the skill positions to give him options.

Texans have yet to supply their QB's with these options in a run for your life moment.

The ball placement for Stroud on some of those throws was great. Love having a guy under center that can throw like that.

If the running game was better Stroud probably has a better day. Dell and Metchie bring involved will help.

Texans TEs are going to be an issue it looks like. That position needs to be addressed.

I would love a qb that makes things happen when plays break down and can be a playmaker under pressure, but im fine with just not making huge mistakes in those situations. You can win with that, especially if youre efficient in producing offense otherwise.

In that second series we got a good glimpse of what successful stroud looks like. Top end Stroud will look more like Brady than Mahomes. More Kurt Warner than Brett Favre.

When they open the playbook and Stroud gets some help from the run game i think hell be fine.

Yes he was protected but he also had to dodge a rusher several times.

We don’t know his reputation because in college he wasn’t pressured like that. It was a small sample size compared to likes of Levis.
Tom Brady was terrible under pressure for one example.

Last edited:
In that second series we got a good glimpse of what successful stroud looks like. Top end Stroud will look more like Brady than Mahomes. More Kurt Warner than Brett Favre.
I think Stroud's showing that he can make plays on the move. What we saw in the Georgia game wasn't a fluke. A QB that can win from the pocket and make off schedule plays when he needs to is what is winning in the NFL, now.

Last edited:
I hate to go back and look at preseason games. It's preseason, no one is supposed to be perfect. But there were definitely protection issues on the red zone series after the Perryman interception. Was it the RBs fault? Was the protection supposed to slide left? I don't know. PFF doesn't know. And does it really matter? Something to look at on tape for the coaches to help them coach. Make the mistake now so it won't happen when it counts.

He made a play under pressure when a defender penetrated and was about to sack him. Stroud pump faked and passed to (I believe) Schultz. He turned a sack into a gain.

I think the concerns over his diminished performance under pressure or relying on elite WR's for success are overstated. He'll be fine.

He made a play under pressure when a defender penetrated and was about to sack him. Stroud pump faked and passed to (I believe) Schultz. He turned a sack into a gain.

I think the concerns over his diminished performance under pressure or relying on elite WR's for success are overstated. He'll be fine.
Yes it’s very overstated especially when you look at the sample size. And to top that off, he was trying to get the ball to those high tech weapons he had in OSU. Thus the reason why he held onto the ball a tick to long.

People needs to stop repeating what they heard and go watch those games.

When great QB's get pressured, they typically have great personnel in the skill positions to give him options.

Texans have yet to supply their QB's with these options in a run for your life moment.
Throw the ball away, don't make a bad situation worse with an interception or 10+ yard sack.

Our sample size is small, but so far it's all bad. I'm not asking Cj to overcome situations beyond his control. Just play smart, make the best of the circumstances you're given.

Don't think I'm against him. I'm on his side, rooting for him. Just saying we're not going to see "improvement" until he's regularly making lemonade.

Throw the ball away, don't make a bad situation worse with an interception or 10+ yard sack.

Our sample size is small, but so far it's all bad. I'm not asking Cj to overcome situations beyond his control. Just play smart, make the best of the circumstances you're given.

Don't think I'm against him. I'm on his side, rooting for him. Just saying we're not going to see "improvement" until he's regularly making lemonade.
He played pretty darn smart in college. Didn’t have a lot of interception nor was he sacked a lot.

I think Stroud's showing that he can make plays on the move. What we saw in the Georgia game wasn't a fluke. A QB that can win from the pocket and make off schedule plays when he needs to is what is winning in the NFL, now.

I dont think he cant do it. I just dont think its one of his strong suits.

Maybe Georgia wasn't a fluke but it certainly was an anomaly.

Last edited:
The ball placement for Stroud on some of those throws was great. Love having a guy under center that can throw like that.

If the running game was better Stroud probably has a better day. Dell and Metchie bring involved will help.

Texans TEs are going to be an issue it looks like. That position needs to be addressed.

I would love a qb that makes things happen when plays break down and can be a playmaker under pressure, but im fine with just not making huge mistakes in those situations. You can win with that, especially if youre efficient in producing offense otherwise.

When they open the playbook and Stroud gets some help from the run game i think hell be fine.
Agreed

Last draft was the yr to draft a TE.

I thought the Fins defense players were really reading keys. Like the Texans were tipping run/pass. Texans need to go through some self scouting to see if that's the case.
Well this is to be expected, the teams run the same offenses.

Back