Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason GM 3: the 49ers

Porky

Hall of Fame
Mills bites - hard. At least right now. Yes he had a couple of good throws. That frozen rope to the end zone was beautiful. Credit deserved on that one.

But he just struggles for any sort of consistency, he's stiff as a board, he stares down his 1st option, mentally he's thinking too much and playing too little. He can't create on his own, he isn't a playmaker in even the most basic of ways, his legs are as useless as tits on a boar hog, and he can't throw the deep ball worth a damn. How many under-throws, 3 and outs, and standing in the pocket like a statue is it going to take until people realize he stinks.

Now you've finally got a back that can do some damage. If I'm a DC, I'm loading the box, and daring this guy to beat me. The odds are - most of the time, he won't.

He's exactly what you expect out of a 3rd QB prospect. Which is to say - borderline starter material. He might improve and he's got this year to do it, but he needs to improve a lot in order for him to be the answer. It's a longshot. Although I'm ragging on him...believe me I want him to kick ass and take names. I just go by what I see. I'm not a fanboy and I have no stake in it other than my eyes and 45 years of watching NFL football.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Mills bites - hard. At least right now. Yes he had a couple of good throws. That frozen rope to the end zone was beautiful. Credit deserved on that one.

But he just struggles for any sort of consistency, he's stiff as a board, he stares down his 1st option, mentally he's thinking too much and playing too little. He can't create on his own, he isn't a playmaker in even the most basic of ways, his legs are as useless as tits on a boar hog, and he can't throw the deep ball worth a damn. How many under-throws, 3 and outs, and standing in the pocket like a statue is it going to take until people realize he stinks.

Now you've finally got a back that can do some damage. If I'm a DC, I'm loading the box, and daring this guy to beat me. The odds are - most of the time, he won't.

He's exactly what you expect out of a 3rd QB prospect. Which is to say - borderline starter material. He might improve and he's got this year to do it, but he needs to improve a lot in order for him to be the answer. It's a longshot. Although I'm ragging on him...believe me I want him to kick ass and take names. I just go by what I see. I'm not a fanboy and I have no stake in it other than my eyes and 45 years of watching NFL football.

Mangler

Toro de España
I think he leans pretty heavily on his #1 option (Cooks). Which is normal for a young QB. His processing will look improved when he has a target who can get open quickly (Cooks) and he can get into a rhythm with quick hitting passes early in drives.
Not to mention Cooks doesn’t drop those passes that Nico and Brevin dropped several times that should have gotten us those first downs!

Toro Bravo

Rookie
[
49ers are going to the playoffs. Lance will play better than he did yesterday.
If they go to the playoffs it will not be because of Lance, but because of their other playmakers. Lance hasn't shown more ability than Mills, other than he runs a little better (which is not necessarily what you want your QB doing). I think the 49'ers were crazy for giving up 3 first and a third for such a project when they already had a QB that took them to 2 NFC Championships and 1 SB. There is more to the story that we don't know.

Texansballer74

The Marine
[

If they go to the playoffs it will not be because of Lance, but because of their other playmakers. Lance hasn't shown more ability than Mills, other than he runs a little better (which is not necessarily what you want your QB doing). I think the 49'ers were crazy for giving up 3 first and a third for such a project when they already had a QB that took them to 2 NFC Championships and 1 SB. There is more to the story that we don't know.
Why not, this is copy cat league and the running quarterback is what’s popular. Kansas City, Baltimore, Buffalo and several other teams are enjoying their quarterbacks who can tuck it and run.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
The OL was moving the LOS with ease early in the game. Not so much by the time Mack got in there. Mack looked good when he got through the line untouched. He's still got good speed, but it's the slow build kind. He's not getting to the LOS quick enough.

But I liked the tosses we saw tonight. Guys like Mack & Freeman could benefit from that... Pierce & Ogunbowale too, moreso.

I'd still like to see Freeman with the starting line. He doesn't have the cutting ability Pierce does, but he'll break a tackle or move a pile if he has to. If he could be a viable fullback that would help solidify a roster spot, imo.
Not going to lie, I have no idea who Freeman is and I don't remember anything about him other than the one time they mentioned he was in at FB.

Regarding Mack, I just dont like how slow he looks and how little twitch he has, especially behind the LOS. Yeah the line was moving folks when pierce was in there, but he make some really good reads, cuts and made people miss.

Mack looks fine in wide open space...running straight...when there's an obvious lane...his straight line speed when in the open is still pretty good. But there's plenty guys who could look good under those ideal circumstances. I just didn't see anything that Mack did to make Mack look better. Even when he had a couple of open lanes I think the first defender to him took him down pretty easily.

I just envision that once the real games start and you've got dlinemen getting penetration and lbs swarming he's not going to be able to do much to combat it.
Im really trying my best to understand what other fans be looking at when watching these games. Mack went for 55 yards, 5.5 a pop with 24 yards being the longest. That’s with the offensive line not really moving bodies and opening up lanes for him to run through. So I’m over here wondering what is old buddy watching. How is that an indication that Mack is washed and Burkhead who rushed for 28 yards with the same amount of carriers and a whopping 2.8 yards a pop. Not only that but Burkhead was afforded the luxury to run behind the same line that Pierce ran behind. He was then barely getting a yard a pop. Ha old buddy says he’s serviceable and Mack is washed.
I just don’t get it and I will never understand the logic behind it either.
I wonder the same thing when I see comments like this talking about stats instead of how those stats were actually accumulated.

Mack made one guy miss from what I saw in the game. Other than that the first guy to him brought him down.

He had a couple of big runs that raised his ypc but again, once the first defender was there he pretty much went down.

And I don’t like burkhead either and I said he was not even a number two back. I said he was serviceable in that he could be a special teams body, fill in as a lead blocker and passblocker…just be a dependable guy to have around who’s not going to move the needle much either way if that’s they type of guy they wanted to have around.

Neither Mack nor Burkhead should be seeing many if any touches as far as I’m concerned.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not going to lie, I have no idea who Freeman is and I don't remember anything about him other than the one time they mentioned he was in at FB.

Regarding Mack, I just dont like how slow he looks and how little twitch he has, especially behind the LOS. Yeah the line was moving folks when pierce was in there, but he make some really good reads, cuts and made people miss.

Mack looks fine in wide open space...running straight...when there's an obvious lane...his straight line speed when in the open is still pretty good. But there's plenty guys who could look good under those ideal circumstances. I just didn't see anything that Mack did to make Mack look better. Even when he had a couple of open lanes I think the first defender to him took him down pretty easily.

I just envision that once the real games start and you've got dlinemen getting penetration and lbs swarming he's not going to be able to do much to combat it.

I wonder the same thing when I see comments like this talking about stats instead of how those stats were actually accumulated.

Mack made one guy miss from what I saw in the game. Other than that the first guy to him brought him down.

He had a couple of big runs that raised his ypc but again, once the first defender was there he pretty much went down.

And I don’t like burkhead either and I said he was not even a number two back. I said he was serviceable in that he could be a special teams body, fill in as a lead blocker and passblocker…just be a dependable guy to have around who’s not going to move the needle much either way if that’s they type of guy they wanted to have around.

Neither Mack nor Burkhead should be seeing many if any touches as far as I’m concerned.
Dude I’ve watched the game three times already. You’re nitpicking at it’s finest. Even the Head Coach said he liked what Mack did last night. I guess he was just looking at stats too huh.

Every darn running backs will have big yards, a few games of 4-5 and 3 to negative gains. So to say those gains are a freaking good thing. Mack also had quite of few gains of 4-5. Something every OC loves. Especially when it’s on first down. Now you’re looking at 2nd and 5 or 6, and you can open up the playbook.

Mack will get a lot of touches this season, especially if he stays healthy. I guess you’re going to be an upset fan around these parts. We have a one two punch now and you’re tripping. Concerns, lol I thought we wasn’t winning now more than 5 games anyway. So why is that a concern?

Last edited:

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Dude I’ve watched the game three times already. You’re nitpicking at it’s finest. Even the Head Coach said he liked what Mack did last night. I guess he was just looking at stats too huh.

Every darn running backs will have big yards, a few games of 4-5 and 3 to negative gains. So to say those gains are a freaking good thing. Mack also had quite of few gains of 4-5. Something every OC loves. Especially when it’s on first down. Now you’re looking at 2nd and 5 or 6, and you can open up the playbook.

Mack will get a lot of touches this season, especially if he stays healthy. I guess you’re going to be an upset fan around these parts. We have a one toe punch now and you’re tripping. Concerns, lol I thought we wasn’t winning now more than 5 games anyway. So why is that a concern?

I wasn't nitpicking.

I was watching the game and commenting on what I saw.

If that is an issue for you, that's a you issue.

Just ignore the post and keep on reading. It's easy.

Watch....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
[

1st… the post was just a response to someone not happy with how Mills looked in preseason. I’m just saying the 49ers & Lance didn’t look great. But they’re going to the playoffs.

2nd… on the one hand you say if they get to the playoffs it won’t be because of their QB. On the other hand you say there old QB took them to 2 NFCCGs & 1 SB.

That’s like saying, “why in the heck didn’t they stick with Kaepernick?”

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You’re talking about he was slow, show me clips of him hitting the hole slow?
Every time he hits the hole after it already closed, he hit it too slow.

Is there any Texans player that you think needs to be cut? Not living up to expectations? Or are they all pro bowlers under the right circumstances?

this is the time to get this right. I remember who Marlon Mack was, but he’s not that guy now. I’m not seeing any wiggle. I’m not seeing any burst. I’m not seeing any power. His top speed is impressive, but it’s taking too long to get there.

Maybe he’ll get better as he gets further from his Achilles injury.

I’m sure we’re both glad that I’m not the one making the decisions that count. But if I were Pierce & Ogunbowale are my 1 & 2. Freeman is my short yardage back & I’d work him in as FB.

Then I’m flipping a double-headed coin, heads I’m keeping Mack, tails I’m keeping Burkhead.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Every time he hits the hole after it already closed, he hit it too slow.

Is there any Texans player that you think needs to be cut? Not living up to expectations? Or are they all pro bowlers under the right circumstances?

this is the time to get this right. I remember who Marlon Mack was, but he’s not that guy now. I’m not seeing any wiggle. I’m not seeing any burst. I’m not seeing any power. His top speed is impressive, but it’s taking too long to get there.

Maybe he’ll get better as he gets further from his Achilles injury.

I’m sure we’re both glad that I’m not the one making the decisions that count. But if I were Pierce & Ogunbowale are my 1 & 2. Freeman is my short yardage back & I’d work him in as FB.

Then I’m flipping a double-headed coin, heads I’m keeping Mack, tails I’m keeping Burkhead.
Sometimes you have to be a patient runner. Sometimes the holes isn’t there and sometimes the defense just flat out whips his man. When that happens no running back is hitting the hole full speed. Especially when the defender is already in the backfield. Shoots you said it yourself, the offensive line wasn’t blocking as good as the the ones that were in there in the first half. So which is it?
Ogunbowale will make the team probably as a special teams player. He will not be getting a lot of touches.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sometimes you have to be a patient runner. Sometimes the holes isn’t there and sometimes the defense just flat out whips his man.
Really? I never considered that.

Ogunbowale will make the team probably as a special teams player. He will not be getting a lot of touches.
if I were king & these are the guys I’m choosing from, he’s my #2. That’s how bad it is. & to tell you the truth, if Mack is getting more touches than Ogunbowale then Lovie & Pep are not the people we need running this thing

Texansballer74

The Marine
Really? I never considered that.

if I were king & these are the guys I’m choosing from, he’s my #2. That’s how bad it is. & to tell you the truth, if Mack is getting more touches than Ogunbowale then Lovie & Pep are not the people we need running this thing
Wow well ok. Love how you all of sudden flipped.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Mack never was anything special even before the injury. When he was in Indy he was good behind a awesome ol. They draft a stud in Taylor and he almost run for 2k.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Green played very well

Stingley wasn't tested.
Lance had trouble locating his receivers when the DL was getting pressure on him. Even though the cameras were not on Stingley, there’s a primary reason he was running or getting hit by the defense…..he didn’t have anyone to throw to. The DB’s and Stingley were doing their jobs.

I'll agree some individuals looked good. Pierce, Rivers, Hinish, Pitre to name a few, but did the team really look good, especially when Mills was under center? They still had just 98 total yards in the 1st half. But pre-season with that too.

You're welcome. Maybe 600 times is the number.
As I watched the game it became very apparent that Lovie and Pep were laser focused on assessing their upcoming OL cuts and how their RB’s would be stacked. I believe the same can be said for the receivers since Mills to Cooks is a known commodity….it’s just figuring out who the other guys in the receiving room will be.

Lovie and Pep are going to get this running game going and left the evidence very visible for all to see during the 3 Pre Season games.

I believe Mills gets all the work needed during practice with Cooks, the other receivers, and a open playbook.

Based on what I watched over 3 Pre Season games…..first, the defense is much further along than I would’ve expected. I’d like to see a ILB and DB added in 2023 early in the draft. That could be ILB, Noah Sewell (Oregon) and S, Akeem Dent (Florida State) for size and speed. The offense must add another stud to compliment Pierce and I see that could be accomplished with Zach Charbonnet (UCLA) or Tank Bigsby (Auburn) in RD3 or RD4…..maybe even both if I could get greedy. A big WR1 type and I see Quentin Johnston (TCU) as that piece. If he is as advertised in 2022…..could be a Randy Moss type receiver. The team must add a Center and I think Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas) would be the answer and probably available in RD3. Throw in a OG for good measure and I think the Texans could be seriously competing in 2023.

Sorry for the forecast, but it makes a big difference in getting to watch the full games again. This 2022 team looks as though they could be competitive in a way that may get them few more wins than expected. Again, I like what Caserio has done in getting the team to this point and what Lovie and his coaching staff have done in getting the players to buy into their system. 2 weeks won’t get here quick enough.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Based on what I watched over 3 Pre Season games…..first, the defense is much further along than I would’ve expected. I’d like to see a ILB and DB added in 2023 early in the draft. That could be ILB, Noah Sewell (Oregon) and S, Akeem Dent (Florida State) for size and speed.
We haven't seen how Harris fits into this, yet.

I've said it before but I wouldn't be surprised if they see him as a kind of Urlacher piece in the middle, using his speed to clog up the middle zone of that Tampa 2.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So I'm guessing he's saying if the 49ers were to have stayed in umbrella coverage, the backside safety would have been backing up & the receiver in the middle of the field would have been open for an easy catch... so the backside safety is the first read, does he drop back or stay shallow.

Then watching the middle LB, does he squeeze on the middle receiver, or does he stay wide. If he had stayed wide, then the throw would not have gone to 18. I'm guessing. Unless the OLB attacks the shallow TE.

So that brings up a question. the OLB "buzzes" to the outside. Is Conley watching him to determine where he's going to go? Since 32 buzzed outside, he works his way back inside, or was that the route the whole time? If 32 would have played the TE, would Conley have just stayed outside? Is this a scenario where Mills & Conley has to be on the same page?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
[

They didn't accomplish that because of Jimmy either. Its no different than betting on upside like they did with Kap v Smith and Smith v Mahomes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I struggled consistently watching the game as I was at a concert, but from what I did see, our defense looks solid, our run game looks to have potential, but Mills is slow with his reads. I think it can improve, but right now he progresses through his reads very slowly. He will get eaten alive come the regular season.
If you consistently struggle with consistency I suggest you try out for the Texans right guard position.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I agree Porky and feel like I must take some of the responsibility for Davis mills. My sources tell me that he read my thread on this message board comparing him to Bryce young. I think that may have shook him up and not in a good way.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
They didn't accomplish that because of Jimmy either. Its no different than betting on upside like they did with Kap v Smith and Smith v Mahomes.
I'm so old I was wondering why you were bringing Joe Kapp into this discussion. I mean, granted, he was a QB with limited QB skills who led his team to SB only to lose to Lenny Dawson and the Chiefs, but... oh, wait, nevermind.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Two good things about that play. One, the pass protection. Two, Mills allowed the play to develop.

It's 3rd and 10 and needs to get to the 25 for the first down. At the 1:10 mark, there is a WR wide open on the 15 yard line. Last year, too many times, he would have taken that option and it would lead to a punt. Because of the pass protection, he stayed patient and another WR uncovered at the 25 yard line. Good play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He better. He's worse than Davis the statue right now.
So I'm guessing he's saying if the 49ers were to have stayed in umbrella coverage, the backside safety would have been backing up & the receiver in the middle of the field would have been open for an easy catch... so the backside safety is the first read, does he drop back or stay shallow.

Then watching the middle LB, does he squeeze on the middle receiver, or does he stay wide. If he had stayed wide, then the throw would not have gone to 18. I'm guessing. Unless the OLB attacks the shallow TE.

So that brings up a question. the OLB "buzzes" to the outside. Is Conley watching him to determine where he's going to go? Since 32 buzzed outside, he works his way back inside, or was that the route the whole time? If 32 would have played the TE, would Conley have just stayed outside? Is this a scenario where Mills & Conley has to be on the same page?
I kinda love your buzzed outside theme

Also, never trust Conley.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Ok we all know that Lovie and Pep are run first guys. My concern is that since Pierce has played so well that they will get fixated on him and run him to death. He runs so hard, I could see him not lasting very long. If they try to run him for 300 times plus in the season, we will need to remember him, because he won't be around for long. I know if we are doing well that will be the temptation, but there is more than just this season and we are not going to the Super Bowl and probably not even the playoffs, so she shouldn't burn him up before we really could use him.