Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 89] Nico Collins WR Michigan

DHop to me was always a possession WR who should’ve been WR2 with a true WR1 who had the size and speed to take the top off defenses. If the Texans had been running 3 WR sets most of the time….hail, I might’ve even put DHop at SWR where he could’ve had mismatches all day long. One thing I won’t do is come down on DHop, he was a gamer between the hash marks and always showed up to play.

54% catch rate with a QB with a fairly high completion percentage.

Avg.

He should improve as he plays more, since he didn't play his last year in college. He needs to work on his route running and getting in and out of his breaks more quickly. He's not real sudden even for a big guy. This and develop a better rapport with Mills this off-season.

Avg.

He should improve as he plays more, since he didn't play his last year in college. He needs to work on his route running and getting in and out of his breaks more quickly. He's not real sudden even for a big guy. This and develop a better rapport with Mills this off-season.

It appears Mills and Collins will be hanging around to work on their game. That’s a good move for both players.

Walmart Hanson’s first year in the NFL….15 games, 9 receptions, 94 yards, 0 TD’s, catch rate 52.9%…and you didn’t say Nico had 33 receptions for 446 yards…and a TD

And Hansen was WR4 his rookie year, Nico was WR2. So there's that.

beats me chief. What Do you think? And while you are thinking would you trade Nico for Hansen right now straight up? How many GM’s do you think would trade Nico for Hansen straight up today? And if not what was your reason for twisting stats that were not comparable from an experience standpoint? What exactly is your point?
The McNairs has caused so many fans to be very disgruntled. Until they see change, we will experience these types of exchanges.

Last edited:
beats me chief. What Do you think? And while you are thinking would you trade Nico for Hansen right now straight up? How many GM’s do you think would trade Nico for Hansen straight up today?

I don't give a rat's ass about Hansen. The point was, he had better production in 5 games for the Texans than Nico had in 14 games.

Not saying Nico won't turn into a player, but as supposedly WR2 last year, he was a non-factor in damn near every game he played. If the Texans are to turn this around any time soon, Keke Coutee type numbers from your #2 aren't going to get it done, especially when you're giving up 3 picks to move up to grab this guy.

I don't give a rat's ass about Hansen. The point was, he had better production in 5 games for the Texans than Nico had in 14 games.

Not saying Nico won't turn into a player, but as supposedly WR2 last year, he was a non-factor in damn near every game he played. If the Texans are to turn this around any time soon, Keke Coutee type numbers from your #2 aren't going to get it done, especially when you're giving up 3 picks to move up to grab this guy.

Here’s some pep you up type of forecast.

Nico, I believe was the only WR who decided to spend the entire off season with Davis Mills at the Texans complex. The only way I could view this….as a ducking positive!!! I believe Nico could have an amazing second season, as could Mills.

Here’s some pep you up type of forecast.

Nico, I believe was the only WR who decided to spend the entire off season with Davis Mills at the Texans complex. The only way I could view this….as a ducking positive!!! I believe Nico could have an amazing second season, as could Mills.
One can only hope. Turn around has got to start somewhere at some point.

But keep in mind too that the NFL has tape on Mills now. His 2nd season could hit that sophomore slump. Maybe a new offense with a new direction (hopefully), lessens that, but then that could also add to it. Gotta see it on the field to know for sure.

Nico hadn’t played football since 2019, but I digress. Glad you wouldn’t make the trade. The only way you would is if you think Hansen is a better WR than Nico. But keep twisting data comparing a rookie that hadn’t played football in two years to a five year vet who couldn’t beat the rookie to the #2 spot.

But keep in mind too that the NFL has tape on Mills now. His 2nd season could hit that sophomore slump. Maybe a new offense with a new direction (hopefully), lessens that, but then that could also add to it. Gotta see it on the field to know for sure.

Mills played enough games that teams had film on him as he hit his final 4 game stretch in which he showed the most growth. Mills has something going for him and I believe this season he’ll prove why he could’ve been a RD1 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Collins played in 2019 but missed 2020 due to C-19. Had he been eligible to enter the 2020 NFL Draft and based on his 2019 season…..Collins would’ve easily been a RD2 WR or maybe even a RD1.

I’m looking forward to watching how Pep and his offensive staff finish polishing the stones b/c I thought Caserio got a bargain on both picks.

Mills played enough games that teams had film on him as he hit his final 4 game stretch in which he showed the most growth. Mills has something going for him and I believe this season he’ll prove why he could’ve been a RD1 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Collins played in 2019 but missed 2020 due to C-19. Had he been eligible to enter the 2020 NFL Draft and based on his 2019 season…..Collins would’ve easily been a RD2 WR or maybe even a RD1.

I’m looking forward to watching how Pep and his offensive staff finish polishing the stones b/c I thought Caserio got a bargain on both picks.
Just quickly glancing at his stats it looked like in his last five games he had about half of his receptions and yards for the year.

Just quickly glancing at his stats it looked like in his last five games he had about half of his receptions and yards for the year.
That’s when the offense got better. I don’t know if Pep took over the play calling or not. But it looked a 100% better than what it did in the beginning. Remember we couldn’t get pass the freaking 50 yard line in a lot of those games.

Mills also COULD improve greatly since he's played so little.

Which do you think is more likely?

That’s when the offense got better. I don’t know if Pep took over the play calling or not. But it looked a 100% better than what it did in the beginning. Remember we couldn’t get pass the freaking 50 yard line in a lot of those games.

The defenses they played were weaker. The only good defense they played shut them down. (49ers)

I agree. This will be a telling year for him.

Last year he had a starting QB that got benched for a third string rookie QB that was thrown into the fire. Not the best QBs to put up impressive numbers. However Nico did put up similar numbers that Hopkins his rookie year. Like you that gives me hope. Nico and Mills both being rookies couldn’t put up the most impressive stats. This next year they should do better.

I will be watching their career with great interest…

I agree. This will be a telling year for him.

Last year he had a starting QB that got benched for a third string rookie QB that was thrown into the fire. Not the best QBs to put up impressive numbers. However Nico did put up similar numbers that Hopkins his rookie year. Like you that gives me hope. Nico and Mills both being rookies couldn’t put up the most impressive stats. This next year they should do better.

I will be watching their career with great interest…

I believe Collins will improve because he will be working out with Mills this off-season. He's just got to stay healthy.

Nico looks like a 1st round talent to me. Hopefully he plays like one in 2023.

After taking a covid break, I'm looking at last season as a redshirt year

Size, routes, hands, play after the catch,
Size? Yes, Collins has very nice size. Even 1st round size, though 1st round WRs can come in every size.

Routes? Pretty subjective. Collins does average fewer targets/game than all of the 2021 1st round WRs.

Hands? Only one drop vs. 33 catches. Looks like 1st round hands to me.

Play after catch? His YAC of 4.0 would place him 4th among the 5 WRs selected 1st. But zero broken tackles, which seems low for a receiver of his size.

I would suggest 8 WRs out of the 2021 draft outperformed Collins. Seeing that the 9th WR in that draft went 57th overall, Nico looks like a 2nd round pick. Not a 1st, but still good value seeing that the Texans spent a 3rd round pick.

I would suggest 8 WRs out of the 2021 draft outperformed Collins.
I hear what you’re saying, but how much of that performance is tied to the fact that Tyrod Taylor & deer in the headlights were throwing him the ball for much of the season? Along with the predictability of a can’t run offense & mentally challenged OC?

Granted, all the other WRs drafted in 2021 had similar challenges. I’m saying he’s shown us he can play under less than ideal circumstances. I expect him to have played better on a better team. I expect him to play better as the team improves.

2nd round says to me his ceiling is #2 WR. I’m thinking 1b. But time will tell.

Size? Yes, Collins has very nice size. Even 1st round size, though 1st round WRs can come in every size.

Routes? Pretty subjective. Collins does average fewer targets/game than all of the 2021 1st round WRs.

Hands? Only one drop vs. 33 catches. Looks like 1st round hands to me.

Play after catch? His YAC of 4.0 would place him 4th among the 5 WRs selected 1st. But zero broken tackles, which seems low for a receiver of his size.

I would suggest 8 WRs out of the 2021 draft outperformed Collins. Seeing that the 9th WR in that draft went 57th overall, Nico looks like a 2nd round pick. Not a 1st, but still good value seeing that the Texans spent a 3rd round pick.

And I think after working with Mills this off season he's got a chance to really show improvement.

Back