Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 89] Nico Collins WR Michigan

Texian

Hall of Fame
With much better QB play.

Talent wise Moncrief and Collins are comparable.

Finding 5 yr a starting WR, Moncrief/Collins that's 1 of the 2 starters I hoped to for Caserio to find out of this draft.
I keep hearing how Collins had poor QB play as an excuse for his mediocre below average numbers in college. Shea Patterson was Nico's QB. Patterson had the 2nd highest total passing yards per season in Michigan's history (2019) Nico's last year. Patterson was 3rd team All Big 10. Patterson threw for more career yards than Tom Brady. By all accounts Nico Collins had it much better than just about every WR that ever attended Michigan.

The knock on Collins is he has difficulty getting separation. If he can't separate in college he damn sure won't be able to separate in the NFL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I keep hearing how Collins had poor QB play as an excuse for his mediocre below average numbers in college. Shea Patterson was Nico's QB. Patterson had the 2nd highest total passing yards per season in Michigan's history (2019) Nico's last year. Patterson was 3rd team All Big 10. Patterson threw for more career yards than Tom Brady. By all accounts Nico Collins had it much better than just about every WR that ever attended Michigan.

The knock on Collins is he has difficulty getting separation. If he can't separate in college he damn sure won't be able to separate in the NFL.
Stats lie

Patterson was not good.

Go back and look at the Sr Bowl practices from 2 yrs ago

Dejaview

All Pro

If you can’t get separation and have average speed in the NFL you lose.

sincerely
DHop

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Nico Collins will prove to be an excellent WR and justify why Caserio moved up to pick him.

Having Cooks as WR1 will certainly take the pressure off Nico and allow him to show off his attributes.

If I were a betting man.......Nico Collins with Clemson would’ve made him a top 16 pick in RD1. No doubt in that assessment.

Dejaview

All Pro
Nico Collins will prove to be an excellent WR and justify why Caserio moved up to pick him.

Having Cooks as WR1 will certainly take the pressure off Nico and allow him to show off his attributes.

If I were a betting man.......Nico Collins with Clemson would’ve made him a top 16 pick in RD1. No doubt in that assessment.
Should be a red zone beast....where nobody gets separation, but size matters

Dejaview

All Pro
Some folks know how to run routes to get open and some folks do not.

Sincerely DHop - (Compare my college production to Nico's)
Give him enough time and his “excellent route running“ eventually got him somewhat open if DW wasn’t sacked first. DHop played in a Buddy system offense. Surprisingly Collins’ has been touted to win the battles for the ball like DHop was. Collins is a perhaps similar but faster, larger target than DHop.

Texian

Hall of Fame
That Clemson WR room was stacked. Hopkins, Sammy Watkins (who was regarded as the best WR prospect), Martavis Bryant, and Adam Humphries.
This much I do know. I watched the 2012 Peach Bowl and saw D'Andre Hopkins put the Clemson team on his shoulders in the second half and carried Clemson to a win over a very talented LSU team. It was the single greatest performance by a WR I have ever witnessed. From that point on DHop was my choice for the Texans 1st RD draft pick. Only the 2nd time I got the pick right.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This much I do know. I watched the 2012 Peach Bowl and saw D'Andre Hopkins put the Clemson team on his shoulders in the second half and carried Clemson to a win over a very talented LSU team. It was the single greatest performance by a WR I have ever witnessed. From that point on DHop was my choice for the Texans 1st RD draft pick. Only the 2nd time I got the pick right.
He proved to be the best of that all star bunch of WRs that’s for sure.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Who was the first?
Well the first wasn't so much of who I wanted as much as was who I didn't want, Reggie Bush. Under the circumstances I thought Mario Williams was the best choice and was pleased when he was selected but remember being disappointed in such a weak Top 10 draft class. I was also pleased they stayed away from that QB class. Say what you will about Charlie Casserly but he got it right in the 2006 draft. Overall this may have been the Texans best draft. This draft also produced one the Texans worst FUBARS trading away their 5th RD pick for Eric Moulds. Buffalo used that pick to select Kyle Williams played 13 seasons and was a 6x pro bowler and 2x All Pro. Many want to blame Casserly for David Carr but that was strictly a Bob McNair pick.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Well the first wasn't so much of who I wanted as much as was who I didn't want, Reggie Bush. Under the circumstances I thought Mario Williams was the best choice and was pleased when he was selected but remember being disappointed in such a weak Top 10 draft class. I was also pleased they stayed away from that QB class. Say what you will about Charlie Casserly but he got it right in the 2006 draft. Overall this may have been the Texans best draft. Many want to blame Casserly for David Carr but that was strictly a Bob McNair pick. This draft also produced one the Texans worst FUBARS trading away their 5th RD pick for Eric Moulds. Buffalo used that pick to select Kyle Williams played 13 seasons and was a 6x pro bowler and 2x All Pro.
Kyle Williams certainly would’ve sent Travis Johnson to the unemployment line sooner...

Texian

Hall of Fame
Not going to win that argument. Some fans only see negativity.
And some fans see things for the way they are and call it like it is. While other fans prefer to have smoke blown up their hiney, a view with rose colored glasses and have no clue what dumpster fire looks like.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Shifting goal posts. Shift this one. Wouldn’t simple math tell you DHop had more catches in school only if they both ended with the same number of yards
Collins had 78 receptions and Hopkins had 206. I am sorry and it really bothers me that you're having such difficulty understanding this simple arithmetic. Run Forest run.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And some fans see things for the way they are and call it like it is. While other fans prefer to have smoke blown up their hiney, a view with rose colored glasses and have no clue what dumpster fire looks like.
Does Collins looking very good at the Sr. Bowl practices after taking a yr off a cause for optimism or is smoke being blown up my hiney?

Dejaview

All Pro
And some fans want you to believe their simple math that, well for them, isn’t so simple, but for some reason tell you that that is the way things are.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
Well the first wasn't so much of who I wanted as much as was who I didn't want, Reggie Bush. Under the circumstances I thought Mario Williams was the best choice and was pleased when he was selected but remember being disappointed in such a weak Top 10 draft class. I was also pleased they stayed away from that QB class. Say what you will about Charlie Casserly but he got it right in the 2006 draft. Overall this may have been the Texans best draft. Many want to blame Casserly for David Carr but that was strictly a Bob McNair pick. This draft also produced one the Texans worst FUBARS trading away their 5th RD pick for Eric Moulds. Buffalo used that pick to select Kyle Williams played 13 seasons and was a 6x pro bowler and 2x All Pro.
We agreed on not wanting Bush. I always thought of him as a part-time RB, and didn't want to give #1 money to a part-time RB. I actually don't think David Carr was a bad pick. It only turned out to be bad because the Texans didn't protect him. After being hit so many times, he became gun shy, and was pretty much done after that.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
In 45 snaps Nico has had 4 targets. Not saying Conley has done much of anything, but Nico hasn't really been a factor either.

Of course, when Cooks is getting nearly 38% of the targets and the next closest is 10%...........

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
In 45 snaps Nico has had 4 targets. Not saying Conley has done much of anything, but Nico hasn't really been a factor either.

Of course, when Cooks is getting nearly 38% of the targets and the next closest is 10%...........
And Conley has had 5 targets in 144 snaps. I like Collins’ chances of making an impact when he’s healthy. And with a reliable pass catcher added to the WR unit the target share will naturally swing back to Cooks earning a more normal share as WR 1.

But aside from the slot WR in this offense last two games there hasn’t been a reliable pass catcher. Didn’t help that Tyrod got hurt and a young QB will naturally lock onto their #1 read. Also doesn’t help that Pharaoh Brown is playing hurt. Hopefully the break will get him back to being a factor like the first game.

Dejaview

All Pro
After limited snaps, the outlook on Collins is very positive.
He already looks like he deserves his roster spot and it is still early days yet.
Can only get better from here.
From the press, he got better every year in college and the trend seems to be continuing. Right now that is “the sky is the limit” material…just needs to stay healthy.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Collins has to stay on the field. This isn't a undersized track guy like Fuller. Nico is a big physical receiver that needs to be a high volume WR. But, he's injured in preseason and now injured after 2 regular season catches. In retrospect, Collins has never been a high volume receiver. He was never the leading receiver at run heavy Michigan, despite being the most talented WR on the team.

There's a reason an athletic, physical WR from a major conference like Collins lasted until the late 3rd round. That's because he hasn't produced at a high level. Yet. The Texans used 3 draft picks to take Collins. He needs to get on the field and be fed the ball, so the Texans can find out if Collins is a guy they can count on in the future.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Collins has to stay on the field. This isn't a undersized track guy like Fuller. Nico is a big physical receiver that needs to be a high volume WR. But, he's injured in preseason and now injured after 2 regular season catches. In retrospect, Collins has never been a high volume receiver. He was never the leading receiver at run heavy Michigan, despite being the most talented WR on the team.

There's a reason an athletic, physical WR from a major conference like Collins lasted until the late 3rd round. That's because he hasn't produced at a high level. Yet. The Texans used 3 draft picks to take Collins. He needs to get on the field and be fed the ball, so the Texans can find out if Collins is a guy they can count on in the future.
I agree with this. Gotta find out if he's just another really talented guy. (Jacoby Jones) or if he's a player you can count on to be a major contributor.

The talent is there though. He just has to get healthy and get some experience. On the play he got hurt on it's probably the 1st time in his life he hasn't been able to either run away from the DB or break the DB's tackle. He will learn, it's part of the process.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nuk only had 52 rec for 802 yds and 2 TD's his rookie year & he started all 16. So im trying to understand what y'all expected from a Rookie WR who comes to the NFL after sitting out for 1 full year & is paired with a rookie qb with only 11 starts in his career.

Nico's production was fine.
To be fair I wasn’t overly excited about Nuk until the last month of his 2nd season