Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Perhaps you should ask Cully. How do you expect me to know what is in his mind? And, I don't particularly like their game planning strategy. Mills has shown he is at his best in an uptempo game and I think they should have been doing this from the start of the game.
I agree with your up tempo comment. Well, you mentioned it "might not be a bad coaching decision". So, I'm asking you what was gained that would lead you to believe it might not be a bad coaching decision.

I agree with your up tempo comment. Well, you mentioned it "might not be a bad coaching decision". So, I'm asking you what was gained that would lead you to believe it might not be a bad coaching decision.
If you forget about the losses, even with the down tempo game planning, Mills is posting some encouraging stats:

Mills ranks 14th in completion percentage at 67%; and contrary to the popular perception of him mostly dinking and dunking, Mills is tied for 17th in CAY (average air yards per completion) at 5.6 yds. He's tied for 24th in TD percentage at 3.3%.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2021/

This is certainly something to build on going into next off season.

Maybe reinforces the idea that talent alone won’t get you far in the NFL. He needs to learn defenses on a whole other level, he needs to learn to manipulate the defense with his eyes, he needs to work on his play fake.

If you forget about the losses, even with the down tempo game planning, Mills is posting some encouraging stats:

Mills ranks 14th in completion percentage at 67%; and contrary to the popular perception of him mostly dinking and dunking, Mills is tied for 17th in CAY (average air yards per completion) at 5.6 yds. He's tied for 24th in TD percentage at 3.3%.

What you really want to talk about is Air Yard per Attempt (AYA) where Mills ties for 30th.

Mills completed a fair number of meaningless passes against prevent defenses, especially after the Texans had trailed by a ton or two.

While you're so proud of Mills' CAY, did you have time to note that he was ranked dead last in that same article?

While you're so proud of Mills' CAY, did you have time to note that he was ranked dead last in that same article?
Yes. In the other thread (Week 9 @ the Fish #52) where I originally posted this link, I mentioned this. I also mentioned that this ranking also emphasizes qb rushing yards and qb rushing td's.

Did you notice that #30 Justin Fields had worse numbers for YPG, TD%, INT%, and Completion%; yet is ranked higher? The difference is rush yards and rush TDs.

My post was not commenting on Mills ranking. I was answering Earl34's question what I found encouraging in Mills' performance that could be carried into next year.

I stand by Mills' passing statistics. I also stand by my evaluation that Mills has a lot to improve on but his performance is not "stinky" or "horrid".

Mills has been through the worst situation of any rookie QB starting games this season. He’s dealt with easily the toughest schedule of defenses. He’s had a patchwork OL due to injuries and they weren’t really pulling their weight when healthy anyway. He’s had no support from the running game. The playcalling hasn’t helped him do much more than he has done. And he has also had key receiving targets miss time (Nico/Danny).

That being said, he hasn’t proven one way or the other he deserves to be the starter or that he deserves more time to ride out any growing pains. The best thing for him long term is to let Tyrod take over so he can absorb what he has learned from the bench before he is put back on the field again, hopefully against an easier slate of opponents if this season.

Maybe reinforces the idea that talent alone won’t get you far in the NFL. He needs to learn defenses on a whole other level, he needs to learn to manipulate the defense with his eyes, he needs to work on his play fake.

First thing he needs to learn standing behind his OL bookended by TE’s who have no idea how to block, and RB’s who couldn’t find the hole even if the barn doors were swung wide open…..is survival!!!

It’s like watching the QB’s in Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Waterboy.

If there was one very solid thing I would’ve had him work on…..perfecting the art of the “Hard Count”. Defenses were/are so eager to blitz this offense that a well delivered “Hard Count” could tally up some easy yards in penalties.

That being said, he hasn’t proven one way or the other he deserves to be the starter or that he deserves more time to ride out any growing pains. The best thing for him long term is to let Tyrod take over so he can absorb what he has learned from the bench before he is put back on the field again, hopefully against an easier slate of opponents if this season.
Mills has struggled, along with the rest of the team. I just think pulling him now, going against the 31st ranked defense, and giving the reins back to Taylor is both unfair and punitive. Mills deserves a shot against the Fins. Let's find out if Mills can step up vs a mediocre defense.

Mills has struggled, along with the rest of the team. I just think pulling him now, going against the 31st ranked defense, and giving the reins back to Taylor is both unfair and punitive. Mills deserves a shot against the Fins. Let's find out if Mills can step up vs a mediocre defense.

Taylor does not have a future in the NFL except as a backup and/or emergency QB, Mills might be able to do more. Given the current state of things, I'd just as soon let Mills keep starting and learning.

First thing he needs to learn standing behind his OL bookended by TE’s who have no idea how to block, and RB’s who couldn’t find the hole even if the barn doors were swung wide open…..is survival!!!
I'd like to see how the OL performs against a good defense with Tyrod at QB. The QB still makes the primary protection calls. It's very well he is telling the OL something they know isn't right but they have to make the best of the situation. I'm not saying that is the case, but... time will tell.

If there was one very solid thing I would’ve had him work on…..perfecting the art of the “Hard Count”. Defenses were/are so eager to blitz this offense that a well delivered “Hard Count” could tally up some easy yards in penalties.
Completely agree.

Taylor does not have a future in the NFL except as a backup and/or emergency QB, Mills might be able to do more. Given the current state of things, I'd just as soon let Mills keep starting and learning.
I agree this game should be competitive, even with Mills. But I think Mills will benefit most by taking the bench for a few games.

Mills has been through the worst situation of any rookie QB starting games this season. He’s dealt with easily the toughest schedule of defenses. He’s had a patchwork OL due to injuries and they weren’t really pulling their weight when healthy anyway. He’s had no support from the running game. The playcalling hasn’t helped him do much more than he has done. And he has also had key receiving targets miss time (Nico/Danny).

I'm thinking now that he's played the tough defenses, let's see how he does against lesser defenses.

Quite honestly, whereas several weeks ago (when Taylor went down) I thought the quarterback situation was the worst of the Texans problems, I now find it to be one of the least of the Texans' problems moving forward. Which, btw, doesn't mean I think the Texans, with Mills, is set for the future - far from it. I just believe the Texans have deep rooted, systemic issues within the structural hierarchy of the organization. As Mercilus stated, it starts from the "50,000 foot level" and goes all the way down to the support staff.

Forget Mills. He's a minor player in all this. All benching him does now is help people forget about the major issues, especially when/if the Texans start beating up on other crappy teams in the league. I'd rather that not happen. I feel like the only real hope the fans have at this point is that the McNair's become so embarrassed that it compels them to start to confront the bigger problems facing this organization. Instead of some farcical shame of a due diligence exercise; actually conduct one for real.

If the coaches and the GM like him, Mills will have his chance.
In the meantime, Tyrod and the rest of the guys deserve their chances, too.
Let's just give out participation trophies to everyone. They're all winners!

giphy.gif

Ch

Chance to prove they're worth another contract.
You know, the guys you thought Caserio was good for bringing in?

?

Where did you get this from.

I predicted a 4 win team. I didn't think there would be much of anything good that was going to come from the on the field product. I was hoping that some of the vet FA's would have some trade value at the deadline and we all know that didn't happen.

I was also hoping they could find 2-3 guys out of the FA signing group and 2-3 guys out of the draft that could be part of the future. Mission accomplished.

?

Where did you get this from.

I predicted a 4 win team. I didn't think there would be much of anything good that was going to come from the on the field product. I was hoping that some of the vet FA's would have some trade value at the deadline and we all know that didn't happen.

I was also hoping they could find 2-3 guys out of the FA signing group and 2-3 guys out of the draft that could be part of the future. Mission accomplished.
Did you predict a 4-win team with Mills as the starting QB?
Honest question.

Rookie quarterback Davis Mills' performance for the remainder of the season figures to influence how the Houston Texans will handle their offseason.

If the Texans end up with a top-three pick in next year's NFL draft, they could lock into selecting a defensive end such as Michigan's Aidan Hutchinson or Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux if Mills plays well over the final five games of 2021, league sources told ESPN.

But if Mills struggles, the Texans will have to consider using a high draft pick on a quarterback -- and they could also acquire one in the event that they trade Deshaun Watson.

I just don’t think Mills is the answer to filling in the gap for another QB. Texans will continue to lose if he is starting next year. If that is the plan that is the plan.

Just my 2 cents.
He didn’t throw any interceptions today (even though he tried) recognized & picked up the blitz better than any game he played this season. & made a couple of plays.

As long as he’s not giving the game away, he’s our guy.

I was hoping he’d be our Alex Smith, I’ve lowered my bar to Matt Castle

Last edited:
I’m still not sure Mills is worth the investment, but if they commit to him playing next season he either improves and becomes our guy or he continues to be a nearly man and we will draft one of the top QBs coming out and see how that treats us.

Either eventuality gives Caserio time to build a team to succeed.

He didn’t throw any interceptions today (even though he tried) recognized & picked up the blitz better than any game he played this season. & made a couple of plays.

As long as he’s not giving the game away, he’s our gut.

I was hoping he’d be our Alex Smith, I’ve lowered my bar to Matt Castle
I commented several times that I wasn't seeing our receivers getting separation. The only plays halfway open were the screens and short passes resulting in catch and run. So I took a quick look at the 2nd half pass plays.
3rd Q
4:27, 3:09, 2:54, 1:56 and 1:54. Especially the pass at 1:54.
4th Q
7:00, 6:26 and 4:53. Especially 6:26 and extra especially the pass at 4:53 with the routes shown in the rerun.

Seattle is supposedly one of the worse teams defensively. But I didn't see a single play the intire game where we had a receiver open deep.

As the game began getting out of hand, late, Mills began making bad decisions and bad throws. But reviewing the plays, he simply didn't have anything to work with. Is it the scheme and routes, or a lack of route running talent by the receivers?

Seattle is supposedly one of the worse teams defensively. But I didn't see a single play the intire game where we had a receiver open deep.
Part of that bad pass defense is a poor pass rush. 99 was living in Mills’ lap.
As the game began getting out of hand, late, Mills began making bad decisions and bad throws. But reviewing the plays, he simply didn't have anything to work with.
This is when he should be showing us he can make good decisions. No reason to force anything.

Part of that bad pass defense is a poor pass rush. 99 was living in Mills’ lap.

This is when he should be showing us he can make good decisions. No reason to force anything.
I know what you are saying, but there comes a time in the game when it's hard not to force something. I mean, if you are way behind, is 3 plays & punt OK, so long as you don't make mistakes?

I hate to break this to you so soon. But the Texans will continue to lose next year. Regardless of the QB.

I don't think it matters who is Texans QB next year - there is just too much wrong with this team.

What I meant was if the plan was to lose while the Texans rebuild.

Is there an effort to move the bar from a 2-4 win team to a 4-6 win team? Does the FO care? Or is the plan to stay 2-4?

I think if no one cares and they would prefer to stay a 2-4 win then trot Mills out there. If they want to win more then go get someone else.

Mills would have to be surrounded with much better talent then what we have and could have next year. He isn’t a playmaker in my opinion. He doesn’t make something out of nothing.

Mills is a Bryan Hoyer type of QB. Maybe a Mallett. He is not a Fitzpatrick though.

And that is saying something.

Just my opinion.

I know what you are saying, but there comes a time in the game when it's hard not to force something. I mean, if you are way behind, is 3 plays & punt OK, so long as you don't make mistakes?
Like I said, as long as he's not giving the game away. He forced 3 throws in a row. Had one of those been a pick six, his game would be chit & not looking like the promise you think he is.

If the offense is giving him nothing to work with that's fine. We'll shtcan this offense.

If Mills is part of the problem we can scrap him too.

I think if no one cares and they would prefer to stay a 2-4 win then trot Mills out there. If they want to win more then go get someone else.
Who is "someone else"? Aaron Rodgers? Russell Wilson? The 2022 Texans are going to lose. There's no magic wand or QB that's going to stop that.

Gardner Minshew? Seriously?

And what's better about 4-6 wins vs. 2-4 wins?

3c82ec11aaa7ab50804aad71b26ba868.jpg

Seriously.

It’s obvious what’s better between winning 2-4 and 4-6.

Wins. Shouldn’t have to explain that.

And as I stated - they would look like a professional football team doing it rather then the JV squad we are seeing.

The last time a team successfully tanked a season and was awarded the #1 overall pick (all the way back in 2020), Gardner Minshew was their starting QB.

But, OK. I'm down with getting Gardner Minshew. LOL.

And look where that team is today?

More FO chaos than the Texans.

Plus - the Jags had to sit Minshew because they were afraid he would win games.

Jags tanked for real.

Coaching failed this kid and the team again. Didn’t make any freaking adjustments. Just stuck with the same stuff even after the Seahawks made their adjustments in the second half. Dude is just like O’Brien, freaking clueless on in game adjustments.

Back