Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Coaching failed this kid and the team again. Didn’t make any freaking adjustments. Just stuck with the same stuff even after the Seahawks made their adjustments in the second half. Dude is just like O’Brien, freaking clueless on in game adjustments.
Maybe Mills only know half a dozen plays inside & out with all the adjustments & concepts.

Daryl Johnston was like, "They ran that 8 times already & it failed again for the same reason."

He didn’t throw any interceptions today (even though he tried) recognized & picked up the blitz better than any game he played this season. & made a couple of plays.

As long as he’s not giving the game away, he’s our guy.

I was hoping he’d be our Alex Smith, I’ve lowered my bar to Matt Castle

Has Cassell ever completed that many passes in a row? Much less as a rookie making like his 5th start?

The last time a team successfully tanked a season and was awarded the #1 overall pick (all the way back in 2020), Gardner Minshew was their starting QB.

But, OK. I'm down with getting Gardner Minshew. LOL.
Well, maybe we need Minshew then to successfully tank a season, because it doesn't look like the Texans are even going to succeed at that.

If you forget about the losses, even with the down tempo game planning, Mills is posting some encouraging stats:

Mills ranks 14th in completion percentage at 67%; and contrary to the popular perception of him mostly dinking and dunking, Mills is tied for 17th in CAY (average air yards per completion) at 5.6 yds. He's tied for 24th in TD percentage at 3.3%.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/qb-power-rankings-2021/

This is certainly something to build on going into next off season.
This is a really interesting article. The 4 QB's just ahead of Mills (24-27) were all 1st overall picks. The only QB's rated higher but drafted lower than Mills at 67 are Prescott (135), Cousins (102), Minshew (158), Heineke (UFA), Wilson (75) and some guy named Brady (199).
It makes me wonder if Mills was on the Pats and Mac Jones was a Texan, who would be the better QB? Such a large part of Mills problem is the crappy coaching, scheme and supporting cast.

This is a really interesting article. The 4 QB's just ahead of Mills (24-27) were all 1st overall picks. The only QB's rated higher but drafted lower than Mills at 67 are Prescott (135), Cousins (102), Minshew (158), Heineke (UFA), Wilson (75) and some guy named Brady (199).
It makes me wonder if Mills was on the Pats and Mac Jones was a Texan, who would be the better QB? Such a large part of Mills problem is the crappy coaching, scheme and supporting cast.

Difference is processing information then executing. Mac coming out didn’t have the strongest arm or more athletic ability it was his mental toughness. Pair that with Hall of Fame Hoodie, in system tailored for that skill set, you see the traits exhibit success. Mills is starting over, processing fine, but system has to be tailored to fit, work in progress both sides. What I Question most about Mills is not his physical skill set but his mental toughness. He needs to pull the ball down and make more positive, smart plays, primarily with his feet which will open up things for his arm. If he had Tyrod’s feet and elusiveness with his arm he would be a legit starting NFL QB.

Difference is processing information then executing. Mac coming out didn’t have the strongest arm or more athletic ability it was his mental toughness. Pair that with Hall of Fame Hoodie, in system tailored for that skill set, you see the traits exhibit success. Mills is starting over, processing fine, but system has to be tailored to fit, work in progress both sides. What I Question most about Mills is not his physical skill set but his mental toughness. He needs to pull the ball down and make more positive, smart plays, primarily with his feet which will open up things for his arm. If he had Tyrod’s feet and elusiveness with his arm he would be a legit starting NFL QB.
I f he had Tyrod's feet and elusiveness he probably would not have been sitting there when we took him in the 3rd. If he can actually progress in the mess we are being told is an offense then I think he could be considered a starting NFL QB. Has a ways to go though. It was nice to see the flashes in the first half even though part of that was just being starved of any positive offensive play since week one.

Mac Jones doesn't have a big arm and is not known to be able to make play with his feet (similar to Mills), but he's superior in everything else.

Mac Jones doesn't have a big arm and is not known to be able to make play with his feet (similar to Mills), but he's superior in everything else.

Yes, that’s what I said, Jones is ahead in processing, mental approach & the Patriot system coaching of Belichick. Add to that advantage of playing football last year for Sabin and Alabama semi-pro National Championship team. Then you have Patriot roster vs Texans…..not ideal situation but haven’t seen him complaining about it either.

I wonder if Mills could have thrown it three times like Mac Jones the other night in Buffalo. That was high end coaching to just slam the ball all night. I was listening to the Mannings call the game, and somewhere in the second half Peyton muttered I am just going to rip up all this Mac Jones research I did and was planning to use.

I wonder if Mills could have thrown it three times like Mac Jones the other night in Buffalo. That was high end coaching to just slam the ball all night. I was listening to the Mannings call the game, and somewhere in the second half Peyton muttered I am just going to rip up all this Mac Jones research I did and was planning to use.
Not gonna make a difference.
A loss is a loss.
The Over/Under is controlled by Vegas anyway. :ahhaha:

I dunno but was not Mills every bit as impressive as Jones in the Texans/Pats game earlier this season ?

usa_today_16929270.jpg

Is Mac Jones a QB that makes plays running the ball?

Brady?

I can go down the list if you wish. BTW, It's not like Mills is Schaub.

Tunsil didn't play in that game.
Ingram was 16-41.
Not much to miss there.

Mills caught the Seahawks HCs eye in loss... Wilson too

“Every day is a long journey,” Wilson said. “If you come in every day with the right approach and you come in every day with the right mentality, you love the game, you love the process more than the end result.”
I'm guessing Russell Wilson and Nick Caserio were big fans of Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus in college.

you know I actually saw Brady run 12 yards for a first down Sunday. They both hate to run but will pull it down if situation dictates. That’s all I’m asking Mills to do.

Which he will eventually if needed.

We're talking apples and oranges.

So he's been playing at least as well as he did in the Pats game?

Wow.
How stupid of me to complain.
I think you're looking in the wrong direction. With what he has been given, I think Mills is doing a decent job. I think he is being handcuffed by TK, and by a weak supporting cast. Ingram wasn't doing great in the run game when he was here, but he was still more of a threat than what the Texans have now.

Which he will eventually if needed.

We're talking apples and oranges.

It’s not apples and oranges if it where why did you bring them up in the conversation?

Here is my point (could be Pep trying to maintain his pocket, go through his progressions but this OL, without Tunsil cannot hold up) so he needs to pull ball down quicker, come off his intended receiver and make a positive play. Less negative plays will help keep drives alive. Even if it’s just a yard or two, 3rd and longs are a time of possession killer, don’t care who you are except maybe Aaron Rodgers.

I’ve watched the same thing with Herbert this season. New OC wants to run New Orleans short passing route trees and that doesn’t play into Herbert strengths, he is medium to long range bomber. Herbert picked up his offense, stayed in the pocket, not using his mobility, sticking to his progressions, lost right side of OL, started getting sacked, too many 3rd and longs, forcing 4th down situations. The game against New England and Mac Jones was a perfect example. Chargers could not adjust to blitz packages, guessed wrong every time and blitz got home. No adjustment from Chargers coaching staff meanwhile Belichick feasted. Mac Jones converted with his legs and short throws dominating time of possession. He pulled the ball down and made key 3rd down conversions, beat Chargers with his brains.

Lombardi had to adjust his scheme and let Herbert be Herbert both with his feet and the deep ball, now won two straight. So far as Mills is concerned, he needs to play to his strengths. He needs to stretch the chains not just with his arm but his legs. Make positive yardage however ugly it is and stop putting yourself in these 3rd and long yardage situations. Keep it manageable.

It’s not apples and oranges if it where why did you bring them up in the conversation?

Here is my point (could be Pep trying to maintain his pocket, go through his progressions but this OL, without Tunsil cannot hold up) so he needs to pull ball down quicker, come off his intended receiver and make a positive play. Less negative plays will help keep drives alive. Even if it’s just a yard or two, 3rd and longs are a time of possession killer, don’t care who you are except maybe Aaron Rodgers.

I’ve watched the same thing with Herbert this season. New OC wants to run New Orleans short passing route trees and that doesn’t play into Herbert strengths, he is medium to long range bomber. Herbert picked up his offense, stayed in the pocket, not using his mobility, sticking to his progressions, lost right side of OL, started getting sacked, too many 3rd and longs, forcing 4th down situations. The game against New England and Mac Jones was a perfect example. Chargers could not adjust to blitz packages, guessed wrong every time and blitz got home. No adjustment from Chargers coaching staff meanwhile Belichick feasted. Mac Jones converted with his legs and short throws dominating time of possession. He pulled the ball down and made key 3rd down conversions, beat Chargers with his brains.

Lombardi had to adjust his scheme and let Herbert be Herbert both with his feet and the deep ball, now won two straight. So far as Mills is concerned, he needs to play to his strengths. He needs to stretch the chains not just with his arm but his legs. Make positive yardage however ugly it is and stop putting yourself in these 3rd and long yardage situations. Keep it manageable.

I do like the fact that they had Mills on the move on some pass plays in the 1st half. This kept the pressure off of and limited his reads. The ol just isn't good enough to consistently protect him.

Biggest difference is the inability to run the ball at all and particularly 3rd and short/goaline. The reason they started running the short pass game is because the ol doesn't give Mills enough time to throw down field.

What I'm hoping happen this off-season is Caserio make the kind of investment in the ol that Telasco did last season. Then maybe we can see if Mills is the future. So far I've been encouraged by Mills play considering the circumstances.

I do like the fact that they had Mills on the move on some pass plays in the 1st half. This kept the pressure off of and limited his reads. The ol just isn't good enough to consistently protect him.
New England had the same problem at times during the Brady years. That's when they utilized RBs in the short passing game, basically as a pseudo run game. I thought the Texans might try that last year with the 2 Johnsons (Duke & David). Never happened. Could have done the same thing this year with Johnson and Burkhead. The lack of imagination continues from staff to staff.

I think you're looking in the wrong direction. With what he has been given, I think Mills is doing a decent job. I think he is being handcuffed by TK, and by a weak supporting cast. Ingram wasn't doing great in the run game when he was here, but he was still more of a threat than what the Texans have now.
I was only referring to just that one game, where Ingram was just as pedestrian as any RB that the Texans currently have.

At any rate, nobody is going to stack the line to defend Ingram anymore than they would otherwise.

Sure, I also think that Mills is doing OK, but that's because the bar is set too low.

And I want a QB that shows more promise than what I'm seeing.

Converting on third down at a better clip.

People want to point at the offensive line, but in 2013, the Texans line ranked 27th in pass pro.

The Texans had better weapons, but AJ at the end of his career isn't much better than Cooks.
Hopkins was a rookie and there was no depth behind him.
The Texans were without OD and the other two TEs had to suit up even though they were injured (such that they were deemed doubtful for games).
Foster was out and Tate was playing with several crack ribs.

The Defense had a down year.
They allowed more than 21 in several games, and they didn't create as many turnovers than the current D.
They were simply gassed because the offense couldn't move the ball consistently.

Last edited:
I was only referring to just that one game, where Ingram was just as pedestrian as any RB that the Texans currently have.

At any rate, nobody is going to stack the line to defend Ingram anymore than they would otherwise.

Sure, I also think that Mills is doing OK, but that's because the bar is set too low.

And I want a QB that shows more promise than what I'm seeing.

Converting on third down at a better clip.

People want to point at the offensive line, but in 2013, the Texans line ranked 27th in pass pro.

The Texans had better weapons, but AJ at the end of his career isn't much better than Cooks.
Hopkins was a rookie and there was no depth behind him.
The Texans were without OD and the other two TEs had to suit up even though they were injured (such that they were deemed doubtful for games).
Foster was out and Tate was playing with several crack ribs.

The Defense had a down year.
They allowed more than 21 in several games, and they didn't create as many turnovers than the current D.
They were simply gassed because the offensive couldn't move the ball consistently.
Coincidentally, Derrick only lasted 5 games before getting hurt. Yes, his ol and this ol are about the same in how bad they were, are.

How would you be thinking if Lawrence was the Texans QB? I think Mills is going to be better than Lawrence. He has been so far this year.

You're just hurt because of who Derrick is. You weren't going to win a SB with Derrick at QB anyways.

Mills doesn't play the QB position like Derrick did/maybe does. That's a good thing.

Coincidentally, Derrick only lasted 5 games before getting hurt. Yes, his ol and this ol are about the same in how bad they were, are.

How would you be thinking if Lawrence was the Texans QB? I think Mills is going to be better than Lawrence. He has been so far this year.

You're just hurt because of who Derrick is. You weren't going to win a SB with Derrick at QB anyways.

Mills doesn't play the QB position like Derrick did/maybe does. That's a good thing.

yes, at the moment he’s playing it worse than DW4 ever played. Doesn’t mean he can’t get better or as good. He’s a rookie who beyond the playcalling and talent deficiencies around him, has to get faster at processing what he sees real-time, learn how to stand tall in the pocket instead of fading back on his back foot like he tends to do when he’s about to get hit…and REALLY trusting what he sees cutting it loose & committing to the throw. He’s still trying to layer everything. If he doesn’t come in next year having gotten much better at those 3 things in particular, he’s done & I don’t give him much more of a shot to be anything more than what he currently is..a back up

What I'm hoping happen this off-season is Caserio make the kind of investment in the ol that Telasco did last season. Then maybe we can see if Mills is the future. So far I've been encouraged by Mills play considering the circumstances.
I'm thinking we'll just be wasting time & money if they don't fix the coaching problem. We're going to get high draft picked OLmen & two years from now call them busts just like we're calling Howard & Scharping & every other OL we've brought in here over the last 6 years. FAs & drafted alike.

The Jags D is even worse than the Texans D.

Their Online ranked 23rd heading into the season (PFF).
They climbed to 21st in week 10, but the last 4 games were dismay; I don't have an update on the ranking, but one would think it can only get worse.
Robinson were benched or ineffective of late.
They lost Chark after 4 games.
They don't have the TE Corp that the Texans have.

I don't know for sure how Lawrence would look if he was with the Texans, but I think his numbers would improve with the coaches here wanting the QB to protect the ball, playing the short game and not taking as many shots down field.

Nothing wrong with a pocket passer, but that guy needs to be able to read the defense very well and throw the ball accurately.

He doesn't necessarily have to play small ball.
Look at how Brady led the league in deep passes last year.
He was doing well this year too; though I don't have the update in recent weeks.

I think for the most part, we're all saying the same thing. We're hoping Mills will be the placeholder at QB until we get someone with more promise.
A few were saying or implying that he's going to be the starting QB for the Texans with a second contract though.

If Mills looks better than Keenum in his first year, I would agree with that assessment, but that isn't the case.

You know McNair he is loyal to his core and staff was handpicked by them so don’t expect much change other than OC.

Have mocked a QB in 2nd every simulator done, doesn’t mean one of them still available when Caserio selects, maybe he falls in love with one of them or makes trade with another team for experience? One thing is for sure Mills will have competition from more talent next year.

Back