Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

You didn't answer the question.
Did he regress?
I said "I dunno", and I don't. I'd have to take some time to review my recording of the Pats game because the old mind flickers on me when it comes to my recollections of the game when I saw it. But your question is certainly fair, and it should be posed again at the end of he season so the members here (myself included)can offer their thoughts and analysis on if our Rookie QBs performance regressed or progressed over the entire length of the season.

You're beating your head against a wall
Jones: 23/30 comp/attempts;231 passing yards;1 TD & 1 Pic
Mills: 21/29 comp/attempts;312 passing yards, 3 TDs & 0 Pics
BTW the first-round pic had a passer rating of 95.3 while our guy had a rating of 141.7
OK Steel beat your head against those stats.

yes, at the moment he’s playing it worse than DW4 ever played. Doesn’t mean he can’t get better or as good. He’s a rookie who beyond the playcalling and talent deficiencies around him, has to get faster at processing what he sees real-time, learn how to stand tall in the pocket instead of fading back on his back foot like he tends to do when he’s about to get hit…and REALLY trusting what he sees cutting it loose & committing to the throw. He’s still trying to layer everything. If he doesn’t come in next year having gotten much better at those 3 things in particular, he’s done & I don’t give him much more of a shot to be anything more than what he currently is..a back up

Is Mills processing really that much slower than Derrick's as a rookie? Agreed that he needs to process faster, but out of all of the rookie QB's Mills appears to be processing faster than every other rookie but Jones.

Agreed about the trying to layer everything instead of letting it rip. He will improve on this in time. The throw he made to Cooks on the 1 yd line he let rip and it was a beautiful throw. Those kinds of decisive throws should come with more experience. These are growing pains most rookie QB's go through. The fact that Mills started 14-14 is promising IMHO and I would think most posters would be excited. But I guess some posters who were never on board with the pick will never be excited or would rather be right than be excited. (Not directed at you.)

Jones: 23/30 comp/attempts;231 passing yards;1 TD & 1 Pic
Mills: 21/29 comp/attempts;312 passing yards, 3 TDs & 0 Pics
BTW the first-round pic had a passer rating of 95.3 while our guy had a rating of 141.7
OK Steel beat your head against those stats.

I'm with you,

Funny how some stats centric posters must've missed these stats.

I'm thinking we'll just be wasting time & money if they don't fix the coaching problem. We're going to get high draft picked OLmen & two years from now call them busts just like we're calling Howard & Scharping & every other OL we've brought in here over the last 6 years. FAs & drafted alike.

Campen has a history of building some really good OL's.

You know McNair he is loyal to his core and staff was handpicked by them so don’t expect much change other than OC.

Have mocked a QB in 2nd every simulator done, doesn’t mean one of them still available when Caserio selects, maybe he falls in love with one of them or makes trade with another team for experience? One thing is for sure Mills will have competition from more talent next year.

I'm all for as much competition as possible.

I guess what I'm really asking is after a rookie QB with 5 starts comes in and goes 14-14 what will it take for some fans to get excited or at the very least say, Hey man I'm looking forward to seeing if Mills is the future at QB.

I mean WTF are fans expecting? What I'm looking forward to is as a fan, having an improved OL/running game and seeing how Mills looks then. This should happen this offseason. I'm not saying right now that Mills is the future at QB. What I''m saying is his current level of play with an improved OL deserves another look.

Last edited:
See what I mean?

Keenum was also a UDFA, not a 3rd rounder, so there's that.

Would you say Mills has looked better than Keenum when comparing both players rookie seasons? I will also add Keenum had much more talent to work with his rookie season.

Would you say Mills has looked better than Keenum when comparing both players rookie seasons? I will also add Keenum had much more talent to work with his rookie season.
Why are we doing this?

Keenum's gone, not coming back. Proved he can play in this league. At a high level even... but not consistent like Fitz.

& saying Mills has played better than Keenum his first year is a really low bar.

Is Mills processing really that much slower than Derrick's as a rookie? Agreed that he needs to process faster, but out of all of the rookie QB's Mills appears to be processing faster than every other rookie but Jones.

Agreed about the trying to layer everything instead of letting it rip. He will improve on this in time. The throw he made to Cooks on the 1 yd line he let rip and it was a beautiful throw. Those kinds of decisive throws should come with more experience. These are growing pains most rookie QB's go through. The fact that Mills started 14-14 is promising IMHO and I would think most posters would be excited. But I guess some posters who were never on board with the pick will never be excited or would rather be right than be excited. (Not directed at you.)
Quit pushing stats and watch the game.
I dunno how many times I had to explain that stats need to have context.
Dink and dunk is one.
The worse passing D is the second.

And most importantly, look at the scoreboard.
How do those yards translate?
How many of them were in garbage time (like how you always tried to pin it on Watson - but wrongly.)

And don't put this one one the Oline.

I'm all for as much competition as possible.

I guess what I'm really asking is after a rookie QB with 5 starts comes in and goes 14-14 what will it take for some fans to get excited or at the very least say, Hey man I'm looking forward to seeing if Mills is the future at QB.

I mean WTF are fans expecting? What I'm looking forward to is as a fan, having an improved OL/running game and seeing how Mills looks then. This should happen this offseason. I'm not saying right now that Mills is the future at QB. What I''m saying is his current level of play with an improved OL deserves another look.
Look at his 8th completion; it was third and 2 on the second drive.

Sure, he completed a pass to Brevin Jordan... for no gain.

That's nothing to write home about.
But you want me to get excited.
:hankpalm: :spit:

Look at his 8th completion; it was third and 2 on the second drive.

Sure, he completed a pass to Brevin Jordan... for no gain.

That's nothing to write home about.
But you want me to get excited.
:hankpalm: :spit:
That was the play that was called. You can't fault Mills for that. Well, I guess YOU can. The fault goes to the person calling the plays. Normally, you'd expect Jordan to be able to get the 2 yards needed for the 1st down, but Seattle played it well.

I'm with you,

Funny how some stats centric posters must've missed these stats.
Okay. Enough is enough. SteelB is referencing stats? What is going on here? What happened to our pessimistic SteelB who shouted from every mountain top that "stats are for losers"? Who cynically said stats during blowouts are garbage time stats and worthless? Who would go on a game thread rant if a QB went 6-16 when the game was close? Who would shut down conversations if you compared a Texans QB to his peers? I wonder what changed his outlook? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
Quit pushing stats and watch the game.
I dunno how many times I had to explain that stats need to have context.
Dink and dunk is one.
The worse passing D is the second.

And most importantly, look at the scoreboard.
How do those yards translate?
How many of them were in garbage time (like how you always tried to pin it on Watson - but wrongly.)
Leading rushers tacklers, passers, runners, and sackers, etc in the NFL are in large part determined by stats.
Also if you noticed the other night TD12 broke Bree's record for passing yardage, one would have thought that Brady was the first person to land on Mars because of all the the hoop-de-la surrouding his accomplishment.
Please don't discount the kids stats in the Pats game: simple fact is Mills stats were superior, and he deserves some credit and recognition for besting in that game the Pats/Belicick's new "golden boy".

Okay. Enough is enough. SteelB is referencing stats? What is going on here? What happened to our pessimistic SteelB who shouted from every mountain top that "stats are for losers"? Who cynically said stats during blowouts are garbage time stats and worthless? Who would go on a game thread rant if a QB went 6-16 when the game was close? Who would shut down conversations if you compared a Texans QB to his peers? I wonder what changed his outlook? Inquiring minds want to know.

5 starts vs 4 years worth of starts. I don't know how Mills career is going to turn out.

I have, had a pretty good idea of how Derrick's career was going to turnout. Now I have no idea how Derrick's career is going to turn out. But I guess the easiest way to say it, is I know a loser when I see one.

I do know that selfish people who aren't very smart usually have issues in life.

Last edited:
Accept Mills as your QB 1b. Now search for 1a.

Mills looks down receivers too much, reads not out in front of what’s coming ahead. There is only marginal rhythm to this offense. They need to get back to basics. Mills needs to take more snaps under center and work on timing with his receivers. Plenty to like and plenty not to like, hence this argument back and forth will never cease.

I'll bet a large bag of peanut M&Ms that Mills has a better day than Lawrence this Sunday.

And I'll up that to almond M&Ms if you like.

Mills looks down receivers too much, reads not out in front of what’s coming ahead. There is only marginal rhythm to this offense. They need to get back to basics. Mills needs to take more snaps under center and work on timing with his receivers. Plenty to like and plenty not to like, hence this argument back and forth will never cease.

Let's fix the run game.

How much of the blame for the offensive struggles go back to the play caller? How much goes back to lack of talent, or just poor play, on the other offensive positions? I think a lot of the blame should go on our offensive OC. Mills has looked pretty good when we went up tempo. Why? Why has the offense sputtered when it was slower and more structured?

I'll bet a large bag of peanut M&Ms that Mills has a better day than Lawrence this Sunday.

And I'll up that to almond M&Ms if you like.
You do know Lawrence will be going against our defense right?

Regardless how he's looked all year, expect him to look like a franchise QB Sunday.

How much of the blame for the offensive struggles go back to the play caller? How much goes back to lack of talent, or just poor play, on the other offensive positions? I think a lot of the blame should go on our offensive OC. Mills has looked pretty good when we went up tempo. Why? Why has the offense sputtered when it was slower and more structured?

Communication from sidelines certainly a huge variable affecting rhythm.

That was the play that was called. You can't fault Mills for that. Well, I guess YOU can. The fault goes to the person calling the plays. Normally, you'd expect Jordan to be able to get the 2 yards needed for the 1st down, but Seattle played it well.
There's a thing called Time Out if the QB can read the Defense well enough and if he doesn't feel he can fool/freeze the defender long enough.
The main point is that stats like 14-14 can be hollow and shouldn't be a cause to get excited about (like Steelbtexan wants me to be).

Especially when on the next drive, the Texans failed to convert on 1st and goal at the 5 with 2 incompletions.

I'd rather have a QB that went 7-14 with 2 or 3 TD passes, wouldn't you?

Sure, you can say that it's encouraging to see the youngster perform certain basic tasks, but it's definitely nothing to get EXCITED about.

Sure, you can say that it's encouraging to see the youngster perform certain basic tasks, but it's definitely nothing to get EXCITED about.

Then let's leave it at that. Something to be encouraged about. Take into context everything being said, including steelb saying he doesn't know if Mills is the future, but hopes he is, so we can scratch that off the list.

Leading rushers tacklers, passers, runners, and sackers, etc in the NFL are in large part determined by stats.
Also if you noticed the other night TD12 broke Bree's record for passing yardage, one would have thought that Brady was the first person to land on Mars because of all the the hoop-de-la surrouding his accomplishment.
Please don't discount the kids stats in the Pats game: simple fact is Mills stats were superior, and he deserves some credit and recognition for besting in that game the Pats/Belicick's new "golden boy".

We were talking about the Seahawks game.

But at any rate, teams can celebrate a lifelong career benchmark, even though it may need an asterisk next to it.

The way the baseball home run record was broken back then with those guys.
Many things had changed over the years to make hitting home runs easier than before.

Similarly, it's easier to throw a bunch of TDs these days.
I guess it was one of the reasons why Brady wants to continue to play (so that he can surpass some of those records by a large number to make it more meaningful.)

Then let's leave it at that. Something to be encouraged about. Take into context everything being said, including steelb saying he doesn't know if Mills is the future, but hopes he is, so we can scratch that off the list.
Sure, but steelb loves to use stats to try to prove his point while condemning the use of stats.
And I've mentioned to him that I will continue to push back when he keeps up with that tactic.
Double standards need to be pointed out.

Sure, but steelb loves to use stats to try to prove his point while condemning the use of stats.
And I've mentioned to him that I will continue to push back when he keeps up with that tactic.
Steel can’t use stats now to prove a point. He’s contradicting himself big time if that’s the case. Why because of his rants about stats when it was concerning Watson. Lol no freaking way he should attempt to use stats to back up any point now.

Steel can’t use stats now to prove a point. He’s contradicting himself big time if that’s the case. Why because of his rants about stats when it was concerning Watson. Lol no freaking way he should attempt to use stats to back up any point now.

What stat did I use other than 14-14, which is pretty good.

What I dont do is try to use a bunch of DVOA stats to make a guy seem like he looks better than what my eyes tell he is.

I hope I'm being clear.

Comparing my use of stats to 76's is laughable.

BS post of the night

Although I'm glad you got your head out of the computer long enough to mischaracterize my post. So I guess I'm making progress in helping you with your addictions.

BS post of the night

Although I'm glad you got your head out of the computer long enough to mischaracterize my post. So I guess I'm making progress in helping you with your addictions.
This is actually the BS post of all time.

You used 14-14 without mentioning how bad the Seahawks D is -- dead last in yards allowed (also in passing yards allowed).
And you conveniently left out the completion that went for zero gain on third and two, thus failing to move chain.
And how he failed to complete any pass on the drive toward the end of that streak with 1st and goal at the 5.

All last year you were complaining how the Texans couldn't sustain drives and couldn't put enough points on the board.

You use to say 2-14 is 2-14 , no matter which players were on the team, and now you're saying the opposite.

Twisting in the wind, what they say.
Or talking out of both sides of the mouth. LOL

Inquiring minds already know.

Topics to stay away from with certain posters:

76 & slander of Keenum/Kubiak
Steelb and anything having to do with DW4 as a franchise or even good qb
Arky & the value of vaccines

Last edited:
It occurred to me today that Houston football fans have not watched an entire season of a rookie pocket passer learning an NFL system since Carr. Watson wasn't a pocket passer; his feet bailed him out. Keenum was put in a situation where he couldn't commit to Kubiak's system. So we as a fan base don't have a sense of how a rookie pocket passer should look week to week as he learns.

So what should we look for? Along with the same improvements we'd expect of a scrambler like Watson, the most important for a pocket passer is the number of plays he can memorize and execute at a pro level. A scrambler can improvise and play hero ball, while a pocket passer relies heavily on the play as designed. So the percentage of the playbook that's executed determines the number of good quarters a rookie can put together. Against the Seahawks, Mills commanded 1.5 quarters well. Against Jacksonville he gave us 2 good quarters. At that rate, I expect around 3 or 3.5 quarters by the last game.

Last edited:
A scrambler can improvise and play hero ball
Which is why many don’t make it at this level. They don’t ever truly learn the offense & rely on their play making ability.

. So the percentage of the playbook that's executed determines the number of good quarters a rookie can put together

seems like an over simplification. I’d imagine the quality of the defense would be an important variable to consider. The Seahawks defense is considerably worse than Jacksonville’s. Mills should have been better against them.

I would think you could regurgitate the same plays from different formations against substitute players more successfully than against a more coherent team like the Jags.

Back