Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Peyton Manning Derby (Signs with Broncos)

I was right, it was friggin' Irsay! Like Father like Son.

1973: Colts Trade Johnny Unitas to Chargers

On January 22, 1973 the 17-season Baltimore Colts career of legendary quarterback Johnny Unitas officially came to an end. He was traded to the San Diego Chargers for unspecified future considerations. The deal was not a complete surprise, since it was clear during the 1972 season that Unitas’ tenure in Baltimore was coming to an end; the arrival of Joe Thomas as general manager assured that a big overhaul of the team was in the works. But the dispatching of Unitas in particular marked the end of a very significant era in the franchise’s history.

The Colts had a new owner, Bob Irsay, who in turn brought in Thomas to make changes.
http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/01/1973-colts-trade-johnny-unitas-to.html

Colt fans must be feeling really bummed right now.
I'm not saying this is the case with Peyton. But most of those guys mentioned (Unitas, Namath, Earl, Dream) stayed in the game too long. Add Emmitt Smith to that list. It's difficult for some guys who are really great to let go.

schaub apologist on this board have themselves convinced this stuff never happens.. i recall a couple times this season where the defense gave schaub the ball back with an opportunity to take the lead or put the game away and all he did was give the ball right back (baltimore/oakland/new orleans).. seems like the schaub lovers also forget that he concedes sacks, in a fetal position like you pointed out, and also turns into a midget when a quality defense lines up across him.. but hey he put up a ton of points on a bunch of bad defenses this year so that means he was ready to lead the texans past the ravens, brady, and the giants...

I have to agree with you. I like Schaub, but I have the same issues as you. Unfortunately, there are not enough QB opportunities to upgrade the position. Schaub is a good QB, but I don't see him making that all important drive in the last game of the season to push forward in the playoffs.

Also, I put a lot this on Kubiak. I don't see him getting through in a crunch game. Excellent example is the playoff game at Baltimore. The defense kept the offense in the game and the offensive playoff calling was predictable, unimaginative, and risk averse.

I am not hijacking this thread. Back to point of this thread, Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

Let's just hope the division lines up like last year for 2012 and maybe we can get lucky despite the inherent weaknesses of the Texans organization.

Like it or not, Kubiak and Schaub are our best chance. We are just pot committed with the current structure or time to rebuild.

I have to agree with you. I like Schaub, but I have the same issues as you. Unfortunately, there are not enough QB opportunities to upgrade the position. Schaub is a good QB, but I don't see him making that all important drive in the last game of the season to push forward in the playoffs.

Also, I put a lot this on Kubiak. I don't see him getting through in a crunch game. Excellent example is the playoff game at Baltimore. The defense kept the offense in the game and the offensive playoff calling was predictable, unimaginative, and risk averse.

I am not hijacking this thread. Back to point of this thread, Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

Let's just hope the division lines up like last year for 2012 and maybe we can get lucky despite the inherent weaknesses of the Texans organization.

Like it or not, Kubiak and Schaub are our best chance. We are just pot committed with the current structure or time to rebuild.

Please, Texans make the playoffs in 2012-13.

Bout tired of "Schaub can't do it"...we'll see. See y'all at the parade on Feb 5th or whatever.

Nothing matters about Peyton's free agency except what Peyton wants to do.

While this is always the case (players sign with teams; teams don't sign players), it will never be more the case than now. This guy just got 20 million to have neck surgeries and refused to not get all of his 28 million when he wanted. His brother Eli forced a trade from the Chargers to the Giants. The way he dictates on the field is the way that family dictates off the field. Today was designed to not make Manning look like a greedy SOB, when at the end of the day he acted on his best interest just like any other player who has the leverage to do so.

Manning plays where Manning wants for the money Manning wants (within reason on both). If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening. Otherwise this has nothing to McNair or Smith or Kubiak.

I'm not saying this is the case with Peyton. But most of those guys mentioned (Unitas, Namath, Earl, Dream) stayed in the game too long. Add Emmitt Smith to that list. It's difficult for some guys who are really great to let go.

*Cough* Favre *Cough* :)

All of the above.

Manning Watch is going to make watching NFLN unbearable. :kubepalm:

It's Favre watch only without Brett Favre.

Personally I would like to see him here (IF HEALTHY) and think there's not a reason in the world that he wouldn't be able to run our offense better than Schaub (IF HEALTHY) but I also agree with all those people who you quoted in that he won't be coming here.

It won't be that bringing him here (IF HEALTHY) is a bad fit. It won't be that he can't run our system or won't run our system. It will be because the Texans just don't think or work that way. That's an impulsive move even if it has great potential upside. That's not our M.O. and I'm not even saying that to be critical of them. It's just not the way they approach building their team. Maybe if Matt was also 35 or genuinely in danger of never playing again they might consider it. Maybe if they had a bunch of cap space to burn. But not as things sit right now. No way in hell.

Nothing matters about Peyton's free agency except what Peyton wants to do.

While this is always the case (players sign with teams; teams don't sign players), it will never be more the case than now. This guy just got 20 million to have neck surgeries and refused to not get all of his 28 million when he wanted. His brother Eli forced a trade from the Chargers to the Giants. The way he dictates on the field is the way that family dictates off the field. Today was designed to not make Manning look like a greedy SOB, when at the end of the day he acted on his best interest just like any other player who has the leverage to do so.

Manning plays where Manning wants for the money Manning wants (within reason on both). If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening. Otherwise this has nothing to McNair or Smith or Kubiak.

It would have a LOT to do with McNair and Smithiak.

Like Herv said, it's not in this franchise's DNA to acquire Manning. They gave Carr a whole season to see if he could turn the corner, then spent two 2's on Schaub. That's as fancy and daring as you'll ever see from McNair.

My personal wish: I want a true, legit, franchise QB here. A 10-year guy like the Colts had in Manning. A Brees type. Manning might have a year or two left in the tank, maybe 3. So I think it'd be better to roll with what we have in Yates and keep drafting QBs as annual insurance and potential "franchise" type guys.

And I think this is how McNair and his crew think as well. Slow and steady wins the race, let other teams experiment with Manning.

Manning I don't think is an upgrade for the Texans, and Schaub is our best chance.

That's like saying your Taurus PT92 is as good as my Beretta 92FS. Just not true. Both do the same basic job, but one is far superior at it. More dependable, more accurate, and proven. I'll take the Beretta any day.

"Risk averse?" How many times that game did TJ huck the ball down the field trying to force the ball to Andre in the Baltimore game? If the play calling was very conservative I think that Kubes would have handcuffed Yates and never allowed those kind of calls.

That's like saying your Taurus PT92 is as good as my Beretta 92FS. Just not true. Both do the same basic job, but one is far superior at it. More dependable, more accurate, and proven. I'll take the Beretta any day.

Is that a Ford Taurus versus a Chevrolet Berreta? Because if you're talking Taurus SHO, I think the ford has the edge......

:kubepalm:

I'll take my H&K any day.

Manning ain't happening here.

Won't stop the fans from going nuts when Schaub bumps into a cart at Walmart and suffers a season-ending injury though.

Getting Flynn or trading up for Tannehill are both more likely than getting peyton, and both of those aren't happening.

"Risk averse?" How many times that game did TJ huck the ball down the field trying to force the ball to Andre in the Baltimore game? If the play calling was very conservative I think that Kubes would have handcuffed Yates and never allowed those kind of calls.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the entire game because the power went out and I did not have access to watch the game again back then and and I can't right now.

With that said, I distinctly remember the classic draw and screen plays that Kubiak likes to run in the 4th quarter. The Texans offense repeatedly, late in the 4th quarter, had a chance to tie the game up, but failed to move the football running the same old plays with minimal effectiveness.

Sure the ball was chucked, but that was because it was the end of the game. My point is, I think the play calling could have been better. My point, Kubiak's play calling is predictable.

Having said all that, the best chance the Texans have to continue with what they got. The same teams go to Super Bowl and win it. From time to time, there are exceptions, like Tampa Bay or New Orleans.

After the 2010, the talk was if we had a great defense, we would march to the Super Bowl. Well, the defense did it's job against Baltimore, the offense couldn't do it's end to close the game out.

Before the Baltimore game, I said the Texans had to score a defensive TD to win. Why because the offense hasn't consistently proven to score at the final crunch time.

I hope I am wrong about Kubiak. We'll see in 2012 if the Texans can improve on their 2011 season.

I'm curious about who the mysterious 5 teams are that have contacted his reps and are interested. It's already been reported that the Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos, and Titans have contacted him. It looks like the Chiefs are 1 of those 5 teams so that still leaves 4. If I had to guess, knowing the Raiders history they have to be 1 of those as well. I have no clue who the others would be. Maybe Tampa? Minnesota? I'm thinking they're teams with younger QBs who don't want it put out there that they're interested.

I'm curious about who the mysterious 5 teams are that have contacted his reps and are interested. It's already been reported that the Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos, and Titans have contacted him. It looks like the Chiefs are 1 of those 5 teams so that still leaves 4. If I had to guess, knowing the Raiders history they have to be 1 of those as well. I have no clue who the others would be. Maybe Tampa? Minnesota? I'm thinking they're teams with younger QBs who don't want it put out there that they're interested.

Broncos are a team being mentioned a lot along with the Chiefs.

Broncos
Chiefs
Dolphins
49ers
Jets
Redskins
Seahawks
Cardinals
Ravens
Browns
Bills

That's 11... who else?

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
More @Russellmania980 on ESPN: "Unless that changes - and I'm taking my sources at their word - I don't think Manning's coming here to D.C."

9m Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
From @Russellmania980 on ESPN: "From what I'm hearing...Manning's camp made it pretty clear to #Redskins that he doesn't want to come here."

If the Texans front office hasn't discussed signing Peyton then they're not doing their job. I like Schaub and I think he's a good qb, but he's not Peyton Manning and he will never be. I don't hold that against him or anything, but imagine a scenario this season when the game(s) is on the line and Schaub throws one of his patented 4th quarter dumb as hell interception. And now imagine having Peyton on the team and we all know he's a great 4th quarter crunch time player. The difference between just making the AFC Championship game and actually winning it may ride on one pass that Schaub can't make but Manning can. If Peyton is 100% healthy, and he seems to be, then I think the Texans have to seriously look into it. The window for the Texans may not be open for that long and you have to seriously consider all possibilities.

It's Favre watch only without Brett Favre.

Personally I would like to see him here (IF HEALTHY) and think there's not a reason in the world that he wouldn't be able to run our offense better than Schaub (IF HEALTHY) but I also agree with all those people who you quoted in that he won't be coming here.

It won't be that bringing him here (IF HEALTHY) is a bad fit. It won't be that he can't run our system or won't run our system. It will be because the Texans just don't think or work that way. That's an impulsive move even if it has great potential upside. That's not our M.O. and I'm not even saying that to be critical of them. It's just not the way they approach building their team. Maybe if Matt was also 35 or genuinely in danger of never playing again they might consider it. Maybe if they had a bunch of cap space to burn. But not as things sit right now. No way in hell.

yep, I agree completely.

It is not a knock on the Texans, but just a realistic understanding of the history of how this owner and front office operate. It is a bit delusional to think that they will drastically change their M.O. after a decade for a player that may or may not be his former self.

I find it hard to believe he'll go anywhare other than Miami. They're a decent team, they're in the AFC, he has a house there (he's there now) and his wife has family there. No brainer to me, especially since they've got the jack to pay him.

I find it hard to believe he'll go anywhare other than Miami. They're a decent team, they're in the AFC, he has a house there (he's there now) and his wife has family there. No brainer to me, especially since they've got the jack to pay him.

It makes sense on a lot of fronts, but he also runs the risk of playing in some serious cold weather games with NE, Buffalo, and the Jets on the schedule. Not sure if that's something he wants. He'll also have to battle Brady for the division and I'm not sure if he's ready to accept being most likely a Wild Card team at best. They have the recipe to be a really good team though. If they pick up Manning and Reggie Wayne, then draft Richardson to pair up with Bush at Running Back that team would be pretty scary.

I keep thinking they are calling it the Peyton Manning Derby because he looks like a horse.

Makes sense he would go to the Broncos. They also have a horse on their helmet. Plus, their team president looks like a horse. Add in Sarah Jessica Parker and its a done deal.

Manning ain't happening here.

Won't stop the fans from going nuts when Schaub bumps into a cart at Walmart and suffers a season-ending injury though.

Getting Flynn or trading up for Tannehill are both more likely than getting peyton, and both of those aren't happening.

if we trade up for Tannehill, I will personally fling poo at that building on Kirby. Pfft, if they draft him at our natural position I will still fling poo.

As for Manning, I think it would be a great move due to the timing of it all. Schaub is coming off a very tough injury with lots of question marks due to the type of Injury (similar to Yao's). He is also entering the last year of his deal. He also struggled last year against the better teams.

Because of all these things, what should we do? I have been a big Matt supporter since the day he was brought here. He greatly improved the product and was a breath of fresh air for the franchise after we released that loser Carr. But do we re-sign Schaub not knowing how he is going to be able to perform post-injury and whether he can stay healthy post-injury?

Both Manning and Schaub would be risky, but we know one thing. Manning is a FARRRRRRRRRRRRR superior QB to Schaub. Nothing against Schaub, its just fact. Manning is elite and would be a better mentor for TJ or any other QB prospect we have at Kirby. Manning has something to prove too.

Both plays are risky so why not make the play for the better chance to win a SB this year and the next few. I understand its risky with Manning's unknown healthy but you can say same thing for Schaub.

Trade Schaub to Washington. Sign Peyton. Cross fingers.

I will be fine either way, but Manning gives us a better chance at winning a championship and I dont see how anyone can disagree with that? Both guys have injury issues, so that issue is null and void, in fact, Manning probably is in better health today than Matt.

Not to mention, when Peyton comes back, he is going to get the super preferred treatment from the refs even more than he ever has before. If you breathe on that guy its going to be a 15 yard penalty. We all know Matt doesnt get that level of treatment.

LOVE YOU MATT, BUT PEYTON IS PEYTON. SEE YA.

p.s. glad to be back on TT, I am on twitter and dont have much time for TT but I do miss all the great fans and opinions that everyone has.

Twitter handle : @DougVanHorne (Cardinal Doug)

Can we even trade Schaub at this point? I seriously doubt he would pass any team's physical given where he is in his recovery....

Señor Stan;1911682 said:
Can we even trade Schaub at this point? I seriously doubt he would pass any team's physical given where he is in his recovery....

Trade him. Release him. I just dont want to totally screw the guy over. He has been a great pro for us, but this aint tiddlywinks. If you have a chance to get Peyton, especially a highly motivated Peyton, you pull the trigger if your incumbent only has one year left under contract and will be coming back from injury.

Give Schaub to Skins for a 4th Rounder as is. That way Matt has a chance to start and to play in a similar system to Kubiak allowing an easier transition.

If Matt hadn't got hurt and if it hadn't been a Lesfranc injury, I would not be on board with Peyton even half as much, but its all laid out before us.

MAKE THE DEAL, RICK.

Señor Stan;1911682 said:

I doubt any team would give up more than a very late 3rd day draft pick if anything for Schaub's services currently.

Señor Stan;1911682 said:

I don't believe so. I think we'd have to release him. Nobody is going to give you something for a guy they can go out and get when he hits the streets and therin lies another reason why the Texans won't move on Manning. They don't take players like Schaub who have given everything and screw them over like that. Loyal to a fault is just how they're wired. The Patriots would be already trying to talk numbers to Manning if they thought they needed him and Brady was done. The Texans will wait until they know Schaub is done before they upset the cart with talk of a replacement.

I doubt any team would give up more than a very late 3rd day draft pick if anything for Schaub's services currently.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a team trading for a player who was injured and could not pass a physical. Maybe it's accounted for in the compensation (later round picks vs. earlier picks). I just don't recall a scenario where that has happened.

That's pretty sad considering we're putting all our bags in his basket to lead us to the promise land this year.

Señor Stan;1911695 said:
I could be wrong, but I don't recall a team trading for a player who was injured and could not pass a physical. Maybe it's accounted for in the compensation (later round picks vs. earlier picks). I just don't recall a scenario where that has happened.

If a player can't pass a physical for the team that's getting him, usually that's a dealbreaker on any trade.

yeah, then just release him once Manning is secured. he will land on his feet for sure. the guy has thrown for almost 5k yards in a season...too bad our defense sucked so bad that 2010 season. Matt would have been one of the hottest QBs in the league if all those come from behind losses had become wins.

I dont think it will happen though. Schaub probably has as much as 3 years more of possible shelf life than Peyton, and Schaub claims to be in the best shape of his life....dare I say ripped.

That stretch play that Peyton has would be just unfair with him handing it to Foster and play actioning off of it.

You'd still be paying Schaub in enough dead money in the 2012 cap that cutting him outright is probably not worth it as you'll have to pay Manning as well if that's the ultimate goal here.

Who knows how much weight this would play in Peyton's mind but Reggie Wayne went to the U and has said he would love to be reunited with Manning in Miami.

You'd still be paying Schaub in enough dead money in the 2012 cap that cutting him outright is probably not worth it as you'll have to pay Manning as well if that's the ultimate goal here.

How much cap hit if he cant play and goes on IR, then we just let him walk since its his last year?

If peytons agent calls the texans, you got to listen to what he's saying because you could end up playing against him if he signs with say kc. The owner will have to be involved also because its such a huge decision. I mean look at it this way, peytons last year, they had the fewest possesions in the league and still scored the 2nd most points. For years now, he has been on the sideline watching while their defense has been giving up long,time consuming drives. Even with all of that, they have outscored the texans every year. I didn't even mention the field position because of the lack of any kind of returners. Peyton has won games when his team had the ball for under 15 minutes.

Señor Stan;1911695 said:

Definitely rare. The only one I can think of is Willie Roaf being traded shortly after the NFL forced his removal from the Texans expansion draft opttions.

How much cap hit if he cant play and goes on IR, then we just let him walk since its his last year?

The dead money on Schaub's deal is merely the remaining signing bonus of about 1.2 million. His salary is reportedly 7.15 million this year, which would be saved if he was cut or traded. That's a lot of money that could be used to sign a guy like Peyton Manning... :D

Back