Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Peyton Manning Derby (Signs with Broncos)

A Dolphins beat writer claims they have 14 million in cap space for 2012. That might be enough to get Peyton, but him alone does not make that team very competitive.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-crunching-the-2012-numbers.html

According to John Clayton, the 49ers have 39 million in capspace including 2011 rollover, but not including Ahmad Brooks' new deal (8 mill cap hit this year iirc). Plenty of space to get Manning, Wayne, and more. They could re-sign Alex Smith as a backup too. SF is a much better spot as they have a top 5 defense already (need to re-sign or replace Carlos Rodgers though), an excellent TE in VD, a pretty good run game, and a good O-line. They could use some WR help, but if Wayne comes along, having Crabtree as a #2 would probably work out. Seems like a much more ideal spot to me.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

How the F do the 9er's have 39 million in Cap Space, don't they have like $400 million tied up in thier secondary? I just don't understand how some of these teams have the room they do. Look at the Eagles how do they even have ten bucks in Cap Space with the roster they have? It's crazy.

How the F do the 9er's have 39 million in Cap Space, don't they have like $400 million tied up in thier secondary? I just don't understand how some of these teams have the room they do. Look at the Eagles how do they even have ten bucks in Cap Space with the roster they have? It's crazy.

Carlos Rogers is a UFA this year, and I believe Dashon Gholdson got franchised. I also believe Alex Smith took up a decent chunk of cap since he was a #1 overall draft pick in the times when they got crazy contracts and I believe he is a UFA this year as well.

This will be so interesting to watch where he ends up. I in no way, shape or form, think he will go to "the highest bidder". He's made his money on the field and through endorsements. He wants to go where he (1) has the best shot at winning another championship and (2) has a very strong and respected front office / owner.

That's why I think he would be very interested in Houston. We're hands down the leaders in our conference and McNair is a GREAT owner. Look at Eli during the draft... he and the Manning family had tremendous respect for the Giants organization and that's why he really wanted to go to NY and not San Diego.

Peyton is going to narrow the teams down to who he wants to play for and try to somehow leverage that to get himself a decent contract. Honestly, I hope the Texans can somehow work it out.

Indeed. One of my favorite isms...

-Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

-Ferris Bueller

They would probably think it was great to finally have a leader at QB.

That is just about the dumbest post I've seen in a long time. You don't think Schaub is a leader? What games have you been watching? Schaub isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he damn sure fits well into what the Texans do. He had two 4000 yard seasons in a row and was on track for a 3rd one. The offensive players respect the heck out of Schaub.

Why on Earth would you even say such a thing?

That is just about the dumbest post I've seen in a long time. You don't think Schaub is a leader? What games have you been watching? Schaub isn't the greatest QB in the world, but he damn sure fits well into what the Texans do. He had two 4000 yard seasons in a row and was on track for a 3rd one. The offensive players respect the heck out of Schaub.

I started to neg rep this bozo but decided he wasn't worth it. SOOOOO, thanks for speaking up Thorn!! Some of these clowns need to go back to the MMB. JMO!!

I am sure Manning has considered the Texans and how attractive a place it would be to play here......
All the pieces are in place.....
He would be crazy not to consider playing here......I would be considering it if I was in his shoes.......
Just saying......

Because it is my opinion. I have watched all the games, ever played by the Texans. Matt Schaub lacks the qualities I look for in a leader. That simple.

Because it is my opinion. I have watched all the games, ever played by the Texans. Matt Schaub lacks the qualities I look for in a leader. That simple.

Care to quantify that?

Can you point to specific examples of "poor leadership"?

Or are you just pulling bogus excuses out of your arse to justify getting rid of a guy that you don't like because you can't actually point to any tangible reasons he should go?

Care to quantify that?

Or are you just pulling bogus excuses out of your arse to justify getting rid of a guy that you don't like because you can't actually point to any tangible reasons he should go?

Actually I have gone over this before in another post, but he lacks emotion to me. Lacks fire. Lacks passion. Plays like he is just going through the motions. Ever see him getting in his teammates face on the sideline for a blown play, or firing up his team before going out onto the field? Those types of things you see from Peyton, you used to see from Favre, and heck even Tebow. Not from Matt. Also during the Ravens playoff game after one of Yates picks it cut to Matt on the sideline and he had a big smile on his face. Frankly that just pissed me off. I think to him its just all about him, and he isn't anywhere close to good enough to have that kind of attitude.

There are different types of leadership...

There is leadership which keeps others on edge, and then there is leadership that puts people at ease...

I think Schaub is a leader in that he puts his teammates at ease for the most part...

I think Manning keeps his teammates on edge...

Both can be effective....I think it just depends on the people on the situation...

I think different people respond to different types of leadership and even an individual can respond to different styles at different times.

But yeah...All that was to say that Schaub is a leader, but he's less the "keep you on edge" type and more the "make you feel at ease" kind...

Actually I have gone over this before in another post, but he lacks emotion to me. Lacks fire. Lacks passion. Plays like he is just going through the motions. Ever see him getting in his teammates face on the sideline for a blown play, or firing up his team before going out onto the field? Those types of things you see from Peyton, you used to see from Favre, and heck even Tebow. Not from Matt. Also during the Ravens playoff game after one of Yates picks it cut to Matt on the sideline and he had a big smile on his face. Frankly that just pissed me off. I think to him its just all about him, and he isn't anywhere close to good enough to have that kind of attitude.

Why don't you do a little research on what his players on the offense have to say about him. THen you will know how ridiculous you sound. Andre Johnson being the first one you should research! You don't have to jump around and scream and dance and yell and whatever else you think is necessary to show passion. Matt played all of the year before with a dislocated/broken shoulder. I think just that alone speaks volumes for what kind of leader he is. He is a team player through and a through! A lot like Kubiak. His demeanor is the same as Schaubs! Steady and solid! I like it!

Do you ever watch the mic'd up segments? You know, where they show Schaub yelling at people and fired up on the sidelines...

2 hours of Peyton should go to Houston on Mike & Mike In The Morning today.

Little Mike bet Big Mike that Manning will end up in Houston -- Big Mike got every other destination other than 770.

edit: finally Schefter comes in with a dose of reality & says no way to Houston.

Last edited:
I haven't watched NFLN in a while, perhaps I'll catch it this evening. It ought to be interesting watching all the bobble heads talk about where Manning is going. :lol:

Also a little history...

Archie Manning, Peyton's father, was traded to Houston after 10 years with the Saints...

Where his backup QB was -- Oliver Luck, Andrew's father.

I just hope he signs somewhere fast. Don't know that I'll be able to hand the 24 hour ESPN news coverage of him. It's going be like LeBron+Favre.

Also a little history...

Archie Manning, Peyton's father, was traded to Houston after 10 years with the Saints...

Where his backup QB was -- Oliver Luck, Andrew's father.

Yep, he was traded to the Oilers and a year later Earl Campbell was traded to the Saints. That's when Bum went to coach in New Orleans. I think Bum traded Archie year two, so that would mean he spent one year with Wade as a coach on the staff as well.

I have never seen that out of Schaub. Do you have a link?

Sounds like you're confusing yelling and shouting with leadership... A player doesn't have to yell to be a leader. Drives me nuts when people just look for vocal outbursts and somehow think that it's a sign of leadership.

I would want Peyton to go to the Redskins. I hope it happens. An Eli vs Peyton match up two times a year, plus th cowgirls have to play a manning four times a year. On top of that, We don't have to worry about Peyton at all.

I would want Peyton to go to the Redskins. I hope it happens. An Eli vs Peyton match up two times a year, plus th cowgirls have to play a manning four times a year. On top of that, We don't have to worry about Peyton at all.

A workable idea to me. Anything that could possibly be bad for the cowgirls and good for us at the same time I'm all for.

Dumb question, but why does anyone think he's out of Indy. Granted I have not kept myself THAT updated since the SB, but he's under contract in Indy for years, so why even speculate where he's going?

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, sorry if that's the case.

Oh and... :cheese: Awesome smilie! :)

Dumb question, but why does anyone think he's out of Indy. Granted I have not kept myself THAT updated since the SB, but he's under contract in Indy for years, so why even speculate where he's going?

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, sorry if that's the case.

Oh and... :cheese: Awesome smilie! :)

And now... I look to the nfl.com (third time today) and it's plastered with Manning stuff... Still, could someone give a summary, their webpage is somewhat... confusing :=)

the way u say it it does make alot of sense lets face it schaub only has 1 or 2 more years here max

WHat gets me is IMO this team only is about 1 more peice away from winning a SB after that imo the window is only open for 2 more years IMO to win a SB after that the window will close IMO unless....... if mcnair goal is to just be a contender year in and year out kinda like the steelers and pats i thinks thats the type of ball club he wants to build

the way u say it it does make alot of sense lets face it schaub only has 1 or 2 more years here max

WHat gets me is IMO this team only is about 1 more peice away from winning a SB after that imo the window is only open for 2 more years IMO to win a SB after that the window will close IMO unless....... if mcnair goal is to just be a contender year in and year out kinda like the steelers and pats i thinks thats the type of ball club he wants to build

You have alot of opinions.

o and there is nooooo wayyyy we got two 2nd round picks for matt we are not going to get what we paid for him like 6 years ago

we will be lucky if we get 1 3rd round pick if we are lucky IMO

o and there is nooooo wayyyy we got two 2nd round picks for matt we are not going to get what we paid for him like 6 years ago

we will be lucky if we get 1 3rd round pick if we are lucky IMO

He didn't depreciate when we drove him off the lot.

Matt is proven now. He is worth more or at least just as much.

Proven QB's are not cheap. The only thing that would drag his value down is his injury stuff...:cheese:

The levels of fucctardary are insane in this thread.

Will refrain from posting again until Peyton signs somewhere.

That is all.

He didn't depreciate when we drove him off the lot.

Matt is proven now. He is worth more or at least just as much.

Proven QB's are not cheap. The only thing that would drag his value down is his injury stuff...:cheese:

and thats what i think teams will see hes damaged goods and is injury prone that is what teams will see

If Peyton signs with the Texans..it will be proof 2012 is the end of the world. (originally I said the texans winning the Superbowl will herald the end...but as good as they are not so much)

I’ve seen the Texans on the list of possible Peyton Manning destinations, but it won’t happen.

Nothing against Manning and his attempt to make an incredible comeback from four neck operations, but the Texans have Matt Schaub as their starting quarterback. They believe in Schaub. This will be his sixth season in Gary Kubiak’s system. Kubiak has been using this system since 1995, and he’s not going to change it.

Manning is a pocket quarterback. The team that signs him will have to adapt its offense to him. He might want to bring receivers like Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon and center Jeff Saturday with him. All will be unrestricted next week.

Manning, who doesn’t play for the money anymore, will go to a team that gives him the best chance for success. The team will have to be a playoff contender with the addition of one of the greatest quarterbacks in history. It’ll have to be willing to add offensive players.

Last season wasn’t the same without Manning. The NFL is better off when he’s playing. Here’s hoping he’ll stay healthy and be able to play several more seasons.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ng/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Care to quantify that?

Everyone knows schaub is tough as nails and shows no quit. So much so that when someone is close to sacking him, he bals up in the fetal position and goes down. Or maybe its the 1/2 arm sack by seymor. Maybe its the sorry 2010 defense giving him the ball late 6 times for the tie or win and he threw pick 6 or just came up mt.

And now... I look to the nfl.com (third time today) and it's plastered with Manning stuff... Still, could someone give a summary, their webpage is somewhat... confusing :=)

The Colts released Manning today.

This is one aspect of pro sports that I hate. A player like Peyton Manning is a legend, it's sad to see him finish his career with another team. Peyton Manning is a Colt, it will be odd seeing him in another uniform. But he will be in a Colt uniform when he goes to Canton in a few years.

But the NFL is a business about making money and that's how it goes. Loyalty is nowhere in the vocabulary of anyone in the NFL.

Joe Namath finished his career with the LA Rams but he will always be remembered as a NY Jet.

Joe Montana finished his career with the KC Chiefs but he will always be remembered as a SF 49er.

Even OJ Simpson finished up his career with the 49ers.

Us old Oiler fans remember how wrong it felt seeing Earl Campbell wearing #35 for the Saints as his career ended. And worse than that, seeing Hakeem Olajuwon finishing his career with the Toronto Raptors for Christ's sake.

Colt fans must be feeling really bummed right now.

Manning is not coming to Houston. God I'll be glad when this crap is over with and he's signed with someone.

Fun, for some, to talk about. But not going to happen.

NO FREAKIN' doubt!!!

Yup, not gonna happen, I have been tired of hearing about it since this talk started.

All of the above.

Manning Watch is going to make watching NFLN unbearable. :kubepalm:

Everyone knows schaub is tough as nails and shows no quit. So much so that when someone is close to sacking him, he bals up in the fetal position and goes down. Or maybe its the 1/2 arm sack by seymor. Maybe its the sorry 2010 defense giving him the ball late 6 times for the tie or win and he threw pick 6 or just came up mt.

You're trying to criticize him for his late game performances in 2010? Seriously? Or even dumber, you're trying to say the (historically bad) defense set him up to win games???

Week 2 @ Redskins - Schaub goes 38/52 for 3 tds and leads a 2nd half rally with a game tying last second score, first OT win.

Week 6 vs. Chiefs - Schaub goes 20/29 with 3 tds, down 17 points in the 4th, goes 11-15 sets up all 3 tds.

Week 9 vs Chargers - After a 2nd half defensive collapse, with under 6 mins left, down by 6, Schaub goes 8 of 12 for 106 yards, then AJ drops a sure catch into the arms of Weddle, game over.

Week 10 @ Jags - 3 tds in 2nd half, tying score in last 3 minutes. Defensive failboat to give jags the win preventing OT.

Week 11 @ NYJ - Leads the Texans on a furious 4th quarter comeback, scoring 20 points to go from a 7-23 deficit to take the lead 27-23. Defensive Failboat in the final minute costs Texans the game.

Week 14 vs BAL - Incredible 2nd half comeback by Schaub, including two passes for a TD and 2-pt conversion to seal the comeback, 63 passes eventually catches up to him and the pick 6 ends it in OT.

And that's not even taking 2009 or 2008 (Schaub out half the year) into account...

Week 2 @ Titans - Lit up the Titans for 350 yards and 4 touchdowns; including digging the team out of a 21-7 deficit halfway through the second quarter & driving down the field with 3 minutes left to knock in the game winning FG

Week 3 vs. Jags - 300 yards and 3 touchdowns; including a last minute game-tying drive to the goal line where Chris Brown fumbled the game away.

Week 5 @ Cards - 370 yards 2 touchdowns; including resurrecting the team from a 0-21 deficit after halftime, and despite throwing a pick-6, he nutted up and led a final minute, game-tying drive to the goal line where Chris Brown once again EPIC FAILED.

Week 6 @ Cinci - Almost 400 yards and 4 touchdowns; came back from down 3 at halftime to win *on the road* against the NFL's *6th* ranked defense.

Week 9 @ Indy - 32 of 43 for 300 yards; despite throwing a costly late pick due to a blown blocking assignment, Matt still marched us into field goal range for the tie where another Kris Brown failed the game away. All this, by the way, on the road against the NFL's "best" team.

Week 11 vs. Titans - 300 yards and 2 touchdowns; once again drove the Texans down the field in the final moments to set up a game tying field goal. ANOTHER Kris Brown epic fail.

Week 13 @ Jags - 200 yards and a touchdown in about 2.5 quarters of action; despite a sprained shoulder returned to the game and played hurt the entire time, nearly pulled out the W if not for... you guessed it... ANOTHER Chris Brown epic fail.

Week 17 vs Patriots - Goes 7-10 with a TD and sets up Foster's game tying 1 yard TD run in the final 7 minutes, defense seals it after that.

Week 3 @ Jags - 300 yards 3 touchdowns; drove the Texans in field goal range in the final two minutes to tie the game as time expired. Never got the ball in OT.

Week 6 vs. Dolphins - Matt with the game winning drive in the final two minutes capped off by a QB sneak for the win over the playoff bound Dolphins as time expired.

Week 14 @ Packers - 400 yards 2 touchdowns; Matt with a drive in the final 2 minutes to set up the game winning field goal as time expired.

And then beyond that, getting down to pure stats, Matt was top 10 in 4th quarter QB rating in 2010...

4th quarter passer rating

113.8 - Michael Vick
110.3 - Ben Roethlisberger
108.3 - David Garrard
106.7 - Tom Brady
102.6 - Philip Rivers
100.1 - Matt Cassel
100.0 - Jason Campbell
96.4 - Josh Freeman
94.4 - Peyton Manning
93.9 - Matt Schaub
93.6 - Aaron Rodgers
90.2 - Joe Flacco
88.9 - Matt Ryan
86.3 - Kyle Orton
85.0 - Jay Cutler
82.5 - Drew Brees
79.0 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
76.6 - Matt Hasselbeck
74.0 - Carson Palmer
66.3 - Eli Manning
65.3 - Donovan McNabb
61.0 - Brett Favre
59.4 - Sam Bradford
55.5 - Mark Sanchez

Even more damning for you, Schaub's QB rating was a stellar 116.6 in the 3rd quarter.

_____

If you're going to criticize Matt for coming up small in the clutch, 2011 probably a better argument to make. He wasn't particularly impressive in the 2nd half in a few of those games. But even then, we went 7-3, and all you've got to hang your hat on in terms of "costing us" the game is Oakland, which was FAR from just his fault.

_____

You want to criticize him for taking sacks? You realize that 1) he's one of the least athletic QBs in the league and 2) he takes better care of the ball than almost anyone, right? You can't have both. Matt knows his limitations and will eat a sack rather than scramble or chuck it and turn the ball over. That is a huge part of our success and why he's so efficient.

_____

You want to criticize his toughness? He played most of the Tampa Bay game on a broken foot, and he played almost ALL of the 2010 game @ Jacksonville on a separated shoulder. Beyond that, not only did he play, but he played well.

_____

So, color me unimpressed and unconvinced with your argument.

schaub apologist on this board have themselves convinced this stuff never happens.. i recall a couple times this season where the defense gave schaub the ball back with an opportunity to take the lead or put the game away and all he did was give the ball right back (baltimore/oakland/new orleans).. seems like the schaub lovers also forget that he concedes sacks, in a fetal position like you pointed out, and also turns into a midget when a quality defense lines up across him.. but hey he put up a ton of points on a bunch of bad defenses this year so that means he was ready to lead the texans past the ravens, brady, and the giants...

This is one aspect of pro sports that I hate. A player like Peyton Manning is a legend, it's sad to see him finish his career with another team. Peyton Manning is a Colt, it will be odd seeing him in another uniform. But he will be in a Colt uniform when he goes to Canton in a few years.

But the NFL is a business about making money and that's how it goes. Loyalty is nowhere in the vocabulary of anyone in the NFL.

Joe Namath finished his career with the LA Rams but he will always be remembered as a NY Jet.

Joe Montana finished his career with the KC Chiefs but he will always be remembered as a SF 49er.

Even OJ Simpson finished up his career with the 49ers.

Us old Oiler fans remember how wrong it felt seeing Earl Campbell wearing #35 for the Saints as his career ended. And worse than that, seeing Hakeem Olajuwon finishing his career with the Toronto Raptors for Christ's sake.

Colt fans must be feeling really bummed right now.
Was it Old Man Irsay that kicked Johnny Unitas to the Chargers? Johnny U!

Back