Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Patriots Accuse Texans of Tampering

A GM level executive is above a head coach.
In your earlier post, you stated
Wrong, you can trade any asset, player coach or GM so long as they are under contract and you have clear rights to their services.
The bolded and underlined is a false statement. You can only trade players and HC and above. No others under contract can be traded.
What is critical I believe is what did Easterby know about BG at the ring ceremony. Did he know he was going to be fired? Was he in on the firing discussion? It seems after the draft that Cal made this organizational overview on everyone outside of the roster. You would think he took in many opinions but made the firing decision alone after mulling over it. Did Easterby know BG would be fired? The timing of the ceremony and the firing was so abrupt and open to speculation that I have to believe a Easterby didn’t know it was going down. The guy worked for them for years. He would know how they would handle this which leaves me to being open to the possibility that he would avoid a controversy at any cost. This has to be the only angle this investigation hinges on. I think the Pats calling Caserio basically a GM is poppycock. Easterby would know his true function. By not giving clear job titles the Pats have devised a scheme to extort draft picks at will if they want. The NFL should set organizational standards for all teams to clearly follow.
The NFL anti-tampering rules are pretty clear about what you can and can't do.

(j) High-Level Club Employees (Non-Player, Non-Coach). The following provisions govern in cases of high-level club employees (non-player, non-coach). A high-level club employee is defined as:
(1) An individual who has primary authority and responsibility for the organization, direction, and management of day-to-day operations of the club and who reports directly to the controlling owner; or
(2) An individual who is the primary football executive for the club and who has:
(i) the primary authority over all personnel decisions related to the signing of free agents, the selection of players in the College Draft, trades, and related decisions; and
(ii) the primary responsibility for coordinating other football activities with the head coach.
Final authority regarding the composition of the 53-player roster is not a requirement. (see Section 6 (Administrative Review) for disputes concerning this definition):
(3) Under Contract. Except as may be otherwise provided in such contract, a club is not obligated to grant another club permission to discuss employment with a high-level employee if he or she is under contract, even if the inquiring club is prepared to offer the employee a position of greater responsibility within the category of high-level club employee. An employer club may negotiate a right of first refusal into the contract of a high-level employee.
(4) Expired Contract. If the contract of a high-level employee has expired or if he or she is a non-contract employee, the employer club is required to permit the employee to discuss and accept employment with another club. Any attempt to deny such permission will be considered improper under Section 6 (Administrative Review) below.

The Texans are going to HAVE TO trade a pick now for the Caserio INTERVIEW!??

I wouldn't bet the whole farm on that guy from NE.

No! As I posted above (post #241), if the Texans offer a pick and the Pats accept, it then becomes like a trade and the Texans get Caserio as their new GM. They don't give up a pick for the right to interview!

Per Schefter

‪Texans are dropping their pursuit of Patriots’ director of player personnel Nick Caserio, as @McClain_on_NFL reported.‬

‪Patriots are dropping their tampering charges against the Texans.‬

‪Caserio remains in New England; Texans GM opening remains.‬

Reactions: Max
Per Schefter

‪Texans are dropping their pursuit of Patriots’ director of player personnel Nick Caserio, as @McClain_on_NFL reported.‬

Wow! What a clusterfuck.

Much Ado About Nothing

Nick Caserio will remain in New England, apparently ending a league tampering investigation against the Texans.

Texans CEO Cal McNair said today that he was not aware of all the relevant language in Caserio’s contract with the Patriots but once he became aware, he pledged to Patriots owner Robert Kraft that the Texans wouldn’t ask Caserio to leave New England.

“When we started the process to interview Nick Caserio for our EVP/GM position, we consulted the League office on numerous occasions, followed the procedures outlined in the League’s rules and believed we were in full compliance,” McNair said in a statement. “We have now been made aware of certain terms in Nick’s contract with the Patriots. Once we were made aware of these contract terms, I informed Mr. Kraft that we would stop pursuing Nick.”

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Patriots have agreed to drop their tampering case. So this story appears to be over, with Caserio still in New England and the Texans still looking for a new G.M.
I really want to know what those provisions are. This definitely looks like a face saving announcement and the Texans tampering looks more like a straight up molesting now.

Per Schefter

How bad do the Texans want this guy and how bad does he want the job ?
This may or may not be the end of it, we shall see ?

With Houston dropping its pursuit of Nick Caserio, there now is a scenario under which the Texans will go this season without an official General Manager. For less than a year, Bill O’Brien, Jack Easterby and the scouting dept could divvy up the duties.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) June 14, 2019

I am wondering how Caserio feels about the situation. NE may have won, but the may have an unhappy camper on their hands and have a bit of a mess going forward.

“When we started the process to interview Nick Caserio for our EVP/GM position, we consulted the League office on numerous occasions, followed the procedures outlined in the League’s rules and believed we were in full compliance,” McNair said in a statement. “We have now been made aware of certain terms in Nick’s contract with the Patriots. Once we were made aware of these contract terms, I informed Mr. Kraft that we would stop pursuing Nick.”

Source

Lil' Enis is in way over his head. A guppy in a tank full of sharks, just like his daddy.

This is laughable, but not surprising.

With Houston dropping its pursuit of Nick Caserio, there now is a scenario under which the Texans will go this season without an official General Manager. For less than a year, Bill O’Brien, Jack Easterby and the scouting dept could divvy up the duties.

That's promising

Aaawwww….OB wants to be a baby BB!!! How cute!!! Hardly groundbreaking news. IMO, OBs been angling for that all along. Easterby is NE Souths very own Caserio. Downright Machiavellian on Kirby Dr. I might have to rethink Cal getting schooled by BB and RK to him getting schooled by OB.

Lil' Enis is in way over his head. A guppy in a tank full of sharks, just like his daddy.

This is laughable, but not surprising.

:spit: This is why I told my boy that Cesario would be better off staying where he is. This is an organization that is always a day late and a dollar short. Firing a GM right before camp looked like a disaster fire from the jump, and then facing tampering charges in the middle of it only to not land the guy in the end? It makes them look guilty. Not saying they are, but it appears that way since they backed off and are going another route now.

I’m like who really cares in the end. Who now? Fitter, Borgonzi, Pioli? Don’t know those contract details but what will stop every team from doing same now?

I’m like who really cares in the end. Who now? Fitter, Borgonzi, Pioli? Don’t know those contract details but what will stop every team from doing same now?

Ossenfort?
Ossenfort?

This is the most pathetic showing in the history of this franchise.

Through all the dumbsh*t I've always maintained that running a successful nfl franchise must be pretty difficult. That mistakes and missteps and losses and the like are going to happen. There are 31 other groups of grown men getting paid to knock your block off.

But this calamity, this dumpster fire, this giant sh*tting of bed ... I've never had my fandom waver mostly because I take it all with a big grain of salt as entertainment and hey, it is what it is ... but this hot mess, at least in this moment, makes me want to jump ship like I've never even considered before.

This entire front office can honestly go f*ck themselves with this.

I'm all in for Steel B. He needs to get a resume together, including all of his TT posts and send it to Cal.

:spit: This is why I told my boy that Cesario would be better off staying where he is. This is an organization that is always a day late and a dollar short. Firing a GM right before camp looked like a disaster fire from the jump, and then facing tampering charges in the middle of it only to not land the guy in the end? It makes them look guilty. Not saying they are, but it appears that way since they backed off and are going another route now.

I've always thought they were guilty of tampering because that's what bush league teams do. I do not believe the McNairs have any idea how to truly evaluate someone as a GM. Just look at their history with the position.

Casserly because all the other owners told Bob he was a great GM. The "kick me" sign on his back was thrown in as a freebie.

Rick Smith because Kubiak. No other reason. Just that Broncos South philosophy. The first clear sign that this ownership has a 'monkey see, monkey do' M.O. (although in hindsight we can see signs of it with the dynamic duo of Casserly/Capers).

Then on to O'Brien, because, y'know, NEW ENGLAND *derp!*.

Third GM was a charm. He was "aligned" with the head coach. Full Patriots south by that point. Man, they sold that crap hard 17 months ago. Full marketing department in overdrive, which is why literally everyone was shocked by the firing last Friday.

Now we know why it was urgent. Conversation at a ring ceremony, next day BAM!. I'm sure Lil' Enis assumed Caserio would be getting fit for his patent leather Texans-logo desk chair by Monday.

Of course, Lil' Enis is facing the elite. They ran circles around him and embarrassed him. A week after firing a 17-month GM (with 3.5 years to go on his contract) he's issuing the above statement?

Doofus. Seriously, our owner is a freakin' doofus.

Through all the dumbsh*t I've always maintained that running a successful nfl franchise must be pretty difficult. That mistakes and missteps and losses and the like are going to happen. There are 31 other groups of grown men getting paid to knock your block off.

But this calamity, this dumpster fire, this giant sh*tting of bed ... I've never had my fandom waver mostly because I take it all with a big grain of salt as entertainment and hey, it is what it is ... but this hot mess, at least in this moment, makes me want to jump ship like I've never even considered before.

Patriots only needed a few days to change the wording of Caserio's contract

Good to read your thoughts, man. I mentally checked out a while ago. Still love the NFL, so default living in Houston am a Texans fan, but man, I'm just unable (perhaps unwilling) to devote much mental energy to this franchise beyond the shear entertainment value.

Stick this story with a fork. It's done.
We'll see.
What puzzles me is that if there's terms in Caserios employment contract with the Pats that ties him up well he should certainly be fully aware of those terms ?

You still haven't had your catharsis with Houston professional football teams like Double Barrel, Hervoyel and myself have. We're sitting back, observing, chuckling and going about our business. I'm coming around to the :tinfoil: possibilty that OB was behind all of this because wants to be BB in the worst way. He's mimicked BB since he's been here. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing that. If he succeeds, we'll be the next great dynasty. If he fails, Cal is on record for making difficult decisions.

We'll see.
What puzzles me is that if there's terms in Caserios employment contract with the Pats that ties him up well he should certainly be fully aware of those terms ?
That's why I would love to know what those terms are. IMO, this is Kraft and BB giving the Texans a face saving exit to the whole thing. If that is the case, nice move by them. They've won, so why humiliate the Texans even further? No need to make enemies.

Last edited:
It sounds like the #Texans plan to sign Nick Caserio, but when his contract runs out. His contract runs through 2020, which means the #Texans will simply wait a year for him to be a free-agent.

They don't want to hire another GM like Brian Gaine just to fire him after 1-year. https://t.co/DeLnVA23Uh

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) June 14, 2019

wouldn't that be two years?And who is Dov Kleiman? Never heard of him/her

You still haven't had your catharsis with Houston professional football teams like Double Barrel, Hervoyel and myself have. We're sitting back, observing, chuckling and going about our business. I'm coming around to the :tinfoil: possibilty that OB was behind all of this because wants to be BB in the worst way. He's mimicked BB since he's been here. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing that. If he succeeds, we'll be the next great dynasty. If he fails, Cal is on record for making difficult decisions.

I don't think we're seeing this the same way.

And that's ok.

I don't think we're seeing this the same way.

And that's ok.
It is ok. I'm all :popcorn:about this. Just enjoying the show. The Texans will play football games in 2019. I'll watch the first half. If it's a good game, I'll watch the second half. If it's not a good game, I'll find alternative activities. A big help for me has been working in the Eastern time zone and late games. I've learned that the games will be played, whether I watch or not, and that I can get the score in the AM and I still watch the DVR of the game, regardless of the score. I'm a die-hard Texans fan. I will not miss watching a game. I will always pull for them (which is why I don't bet on football), but at the end of the day, it's just a game. Pre Buffalo 1993, how and what the Oilers did determined my attitude for the week. The Oilers sucked a lot in the early/mid 80s. The 35-3 playoff loss broke me of that kind of fandom.

From what I hear, it's not that bad of a time to do this....

Great, a season without a GM, how wonderful. Glad we're wasting another year of Hopkins and Watt without a competent GM. Guessing now we'll further alienate Clowney by not getting something long term done. Also another year off Watson's rookie deal.

This team is a disaster.

That's why I would love to know what those terms are. IMO, this is Kraft and BB giving the Texans a face saving exit to the whole thing. If that is the case, nice move by them. They've won, so why humiliate the Texans even further. No need to make enemies.
Not a lawyer here but certainly know enough about contract law to know that contracts can't be amended in any way without the agreement of all parties to the contract,
so that's why I'm puzzled that Caserios didn't inform the Texans of a term(s) in his contract with the Pats which prohibited him from interviewing with other teams (including the Texans) ?

Great, a season without a GM, how wonderful. Glad we're wasting another year of Hopkins and Watt without a competent GM. Guessing now we'll further alienate Clowney by not getting something long term done. Also another year off Watson's rookie deal.

This team is a disaster.

How is the team a disaster?

We got a GODLY receiving corps
ELITE QB AND DEs

that's far from a disaster...

Hell we were in the playoffs last season!

What's the big deal.. I mean GEEZ!

The team is pretty good... idk bout you guys but I'm a Texans fans because of the players success and ability to overcome.

JJ Watt and his injuries

DeAndre and his bad string of O'briens QBs.. not too mention Obrien himself...

Not a lawyer here but certainly know enough about contract law to know that contracts can't be amended in any way without the agreement of all parties to the contract,
so that's why I'm puzzled that Caserios didn't inform the Texans of a term(s) in his contract with the Pats which prohibited him from interviewing with other teams (including the Texans) ?
Caserio couldn't inform the Texans of anything because permission to talk to Caserio, by NE, hadn't been given. The Texans would've been required to report Caserio to the league offices. I seriously doubt that there are any contract details in Caserio's contract the restrict anything. I think the Pats are allowing the Texans to save some face. No need to make an enemy by beating down an already beaten opponent.

This team is a disaster.
How is a year without a GM wasting anyone's anything? Coaching affects players much more than GMs. I'd love to hear Bum Phillips describe Bill Belichick, considering how Bum Phillips described Don Shula.

This is also karma going back at the Texans with the Patriots.

Bob McNair was one of the main owners that pressured Goodell to push the deflate gate witch hunt. He even made ridiculous claims that none of his players would have fought punishment knowing what a lie that was because Cushing had. Belicheck, Kraft, and Pats management never forgets that kind of stuff with certain teams. Ask the Ravens and the Colts. They'll kick them every chance they can get. Texans have also not beaten the Pats since Bob did all of that. Just not smart at all. The Texans weren't rivals of the Pats, and Bob McNair had no business trying to create tension with other owners and orgs.

How is a year without a GM wasting anyone's anything? Coaching affects players much more than GMs. I'd love to hear Bum Phillips describe Bill Belichick, considering hoe Bum Phillips described Don Shula.

Don Shula is the most bitter and butt hurt Pats hater out there. He hates the fact that a division rival HC broke almost all his coaching records other than that god awful overrated 72 Dolphins team.

Back