Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

He ran a 4.40 at the combine, he's not slow.

Did I say slow? No, I said his change of speed is lacking.

There's a term in physics for it few are familiar with, jerk. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. So how fast can you go from steady to full bore? Jerk is somewhat euphemized as closing speed. Your top end doesn't matter as much as standing to full bore.

I like Isiah a bunch.

I would take him at 55 but would be really happy with him at 86. Big tall rangy CB who's really fast, plus he's only played CB for 2 yrs. His best football should be ahead of him.

What dont you like about him?

Not to mention.....Isaiah Johnson isn't afraid to lay the lumber. I like this fact almost as much as I like his size and speed. His upside as a RD3 pick will be worth the investment.

Did I say slow? No, I said his change of speed is lacking.

There's a term in physics for it few are familiar with, jerk. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. So how fast can you go from steady to full bore? Jerk is somewhat euphemized as closing speed. Your top end doesn't matter as much as standing to full bore.

From what I saw and his 3 cone/short shuttle times seem to say he's got great short area quickness for a man his size. BTW, these are the reasons I absolutely love David Long. Awesome short area quickness.

I would have no problems at all if Gaine drafted a couple of OL and Long/Johnson with his 1st 4 picks.

Well clearly depends on who they take in the 1st...and OL has been fairly beat to death...

Not real enamoured of this CB class, but...

Jamel Dean, Auborn, CB. Really like in 3rd, given our late 2nds, ok there. Press guy with speed to stick.

Kendall Sheffield, Ohio St., CB. As a slot really like in the 5th, like as a trade into the 4th, wouldn't kick the neighbor's cat in the 3rd.

RBs are an exception to my dislike of scales & tape measures but it is contrarian: I like low center of gravity, low & solid.

Jacobs would have to be a 1st.

David Montgomery, Iowa St., RB. Solid 2nd. Not going to pull a Dorsett 99 yd TD but will get what's there, create some & be a safety outlet.

Wish Miles Sanders, Penn State, RB had more pass catching film but 2nd ok, definitely 3rd. Less interested if move to more ZBS which I think we should.

Damien Harris, Alabama, RB. 3rd, not going to complain too much in 2nd.

Love the CB picks.

Sanders is going to be a really good complimentary RB. I like Harris and Montgomery. There's a good chance 1 of these guys will be there in the 3rd.

Maybe... Or the draft could easily go like this.
1st.-Jonah Williams-OT
2nd-Tytus Howard-OT
2nd-Lonnie Johnson-CB
3rd-Isaiah Johnson-CB
5th-Trayveon Williams-RB
6th-Hunter Renfrow-WR
7th-Joshua Miles-OT

Right now the Texans Don't have a single RT who they can count on, and its likely that every CB on the roster this year is gone next year except for maybe 1.

Roby- not very good and 1 year deal
-Aaron Colvin-one more disappointing season and he's cut
-Johnathan Joseph-Possible Retirment
-Calhoun-Not very good
Bademosi-Special teamer only
Roby's not good? 15 starts 50 tackles 15 pdef and an INT; if you say things like that you quickly lose cred. I do agree Joseph could be gone but he has shown little to indicate it. If he has another good season, I could see another extension at reasonable $ while he starts and grooms a youngster or is a quality backup.

Roby got abused as an outside CB last year. On 900+ snaps he allowed a 66% completion percentage and QB's had a rating of 117 when targeting him.

He gave up the 4th most yards among all CB's in the league last year.
You need to research a bit more; he had ACL in week 10 which really impacted his play that you refer to. The Texans' river poker bet is all will realign for Roby who if healthy should be a lockdown corner for one season before going to get his reward elsewhere.

You need to research a bit more; he had ACL in week 10 which really impacted his play that you refer to. The Texans' river poker bet is all will realign for Roby who if healthy should be a lockdown corner for one season before going to get his reward elsewhere.

Roby graded as the 2nd worst player in the league in week 9, had a 55 grade through October, and finished with a grade of 59 (all by PFF).

Only injury I remember him coming back from is an ankle toward the end of the year. Regardless, his play was sub-par all season.

There's a reason the Broncos didn't try to re-sign a 26 year old former 1st round pick.

Roby graded as the 2nd worst player in the league in week 9, had a 55 grade through October, and finished with a grade of 59 (all by PFF).

Only injury I remember him coming back from is an ankle toward the end of the year. Regardless, his play was sub-par all season.

There's a reason the Broncos didn't try to re-sign a 26 year old former 1st round pick.
Yep and it was cost vs risk of health and age. I may have not re-signed him either but that isn't the question. Is he worth $10 m to Houston? I say yes. You say no.

Preach on to the unwashed.

Roby isn't very good.

Good to see Bah's checking in. I would love to hear his thoughts on this draft class.

Roby got abused as an outside CB last year. On 900+ snaps he allowed a 66% completion percentage and QB's had a rating of 117 when targeting him.

He gave up the 4th most yards among all CB's in the league last year.

No worries....in RC's defense he ensures that his CB's have a 15 yard head start on every snap....even on 3rd and 3's.

Have any of you guys evaluated Bobby Evans-OT from Oklahoma? I watched a little film on him and came away with mixed feelings. In the run game I think he can be a stud, no issues, but in pass protection he can sometimes be late off the snap, a little slow footed, and needs to bend his knees more. I wonder if the late snap and slow footed issues are just physical conditioning issues. He looks good but with issues that would seems to be easily coachable. Opinions?

Have any of you guys evaluated Bobby Evans-OT from Oklahoma? I watched a little film on him and came away with mixed feelings. In the run game I think he can be a stud, no issues, but in pass protection he can sometimes be late off the snap, a little slow footed, and needs to bend his knees more. I wonder if the late snap and slow footed issues are just physical conditioning issues. He looks good but with issues that would seems to be easily coachable. Opinions?

This is what I see. He's not good enough in pass pro to be a LT. But could be a serviceable RT. OU OT's have a history of being successful in the NFL.

Give me Edoga/Scharping over Evans.

Gil Brandt

✔@Gil_Brandt

My top 10 OT draft rankings:

1. Dillard (11)
2. Taylor (13)
3. Ford (23)
4. McGary (36)
5. Risner (43)
6. Howard (50)
7. Little (66)
8. Edoga (72)
9. Evans (125)
10. Daley (133)

HOT 150: https://bit.ly/2Df1xNe

5:15 PM - Apr 16, 2019

D4S7EUKWAAE9rEx.jpg

The LT I want....Dillard will be gone before the 12th pick, at least that's my call. I also fully expect OB and Devlin to give Davenport this season to prove he was worth the investment.....but they also sign Khalil as insurance if their faith doesn't pay off. With this.....I want the Texans to make a strong run at Mitch Hyatt if he's still on the board in RD5, this is where I really miss having that RD4 pick.

Anyhow, Hyatt had a stellar 4 year run at LT while protecting Watson, Kelly and Lawrence. His 4 year tenure saw Clemson play in 3 CFB Championships and walking away with 2 trophies. Both Watson and Lawrence are and will be considered top franchise QB's in the NFL.

Hyatt faced great defensive talent that will be taking or have already taken their talent to the NFL. He did this consistently over his 4 seasons and Clemson's QB's enjoyed tremendous success. If the Texans can gain him in RD5.....it'll be a steal and a tremendous insurance policy for both Davenport and Khalil.

The LT I want....Dillard will be gone before the 12th pick, at least that's my call. I also fully expect OB and Devlin to give Davenport this season to prove he was worth the investment.....but they also sign Khalil as insurance if their faith doesn't pay off. With this.....I want the Texans to make a strong run at Mitch Hyatt if he's still on the board in RD5, this is where I really miss having that RD4 pick.

Anyhow, Hyatt had a stellar 4 year run at LT while protecting Watson, Kelly and Lawrence. His 4 year tenure saw Clemson play in 3 CFB Championships and walking away with 2 trophies. Both Watson and Lawrence are and will be considered top franchise QB's in the NFL.

Hyatt faced great defensive talent that will be taking or have already taken their talent to the NFL. He did this consistently over his 4 seasons and Clemson's QB's enjoyed tremendous success. If the Texans can gain him in RD5.....it'll be a steal and a tremendous insurance policy for both Davenport and Khalil.

I agree completely. Dillard would be my first choice as well but he's most likely gone at #23, and Texans will probably give Davenport another year to prove himself. I like Hyatt as a backup plan, would you be against taking him in the 3rd round? The knock on Hyatt, that I've read, is that he lacks strength for the run game or anchoring, well it's become a passing league and most teams run right anyway. Also he'll get stronger in an NFL S&C program with Cushing pushing him. I'd still go O-line in the 1st round, taking the best O-lineman possible, maybe Ford or Lindstrom. Maybe we take our long term LT in 2020 if Davenport or Hyatt don't work out.

I agree completely. Dillard would be my first choice as well but he's most likely gone at #23, and Texans will probably give Davenport another year to prove himself. I like Hyatt as a backup plan, would you be against taking him in the 3rd round? The knock on Hyatt, that I've read, is that he lacks strength for the run game or anchoring, well it's become a passing league and most teams run right anyway. Also he'll get stronger in an NFL S&C program with Cushing pushing him. I'd still go O-line in the 1st round, taking the best O-lineman possible, maybe Ford or Lindstrom. Maybe we take our long term LT in 2020 if Davenport or Hyatt don't work out.

If you need OL help this is the yr to get it. IMHO

If you need OL help this is the yr to get it. IMHO
We need some young guns this draft to blood as some of the guys on the roster now will have contracts ending after this year.
Still there are some exciting OL likely to come out in the 2020 draft too.

Has there been a discussion regarding Kaleb McGary’s heart condition? I read a little about it searching for a pic to post in the mock draft results thread. McClain has a little about it in this article.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...eb-McGary-has-faced-unfathomable-13659650.php

Seems like something that would have come up before, but the first time I’ve heard it.

I knew about it, just wanted someone else to post as it appears I’m too enamored with Kaleb to be objective (mocked him in first round to Texans).

We need some young guns this draft to blood as some of the guys on the roster now will have contracts ending after this year.
Still there are some exciting OL likely to come out in the 2020 draft too.

I haven't looked into the 2020 draft except RB's.

What does the 2020 OL class look like?

Still they need to find some talent pronto to protect Watson or he wont make it thru next season.

I like Kaleb McGary's feet, he's quick and nimble, but he's got T-rex arm syndrome. That's not good for a LT.

He's a RT.

If they can walk away from this draft with McGary and Little plus a CB that's talented and draft a RB I would be very happy.

He's a RT.

If they can walk away from this draft with McGary and Little plus a CB that's talented and draft a RB I would be very happy.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was looking at McGary from the standpoint of our biggest need at LT and switching him over. He seems to have fairly good agility, but the short arms worry me.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was looking at McGary from the standpoint of our biggest need at LT and switching him over. He seems to have fairly good agility, but the short arms worry me.

Someone posted in another thread that Joe Thomas had the same short arms

Yes Thomas had T-Rex arms. He also had velociraptor feet. McGary doesn't. Absolutely love him as a 2nd round pick.
Depends on your definition of T-Rex arms. At the combine he measured 33 3/4". I do wonder where the rumor of short arms came from. Perhaps from an early college measurement?

Depends on your definition of T-Rex arms. At the combine he measured 33 3/4". I do wonder where the rumor of short arms came from. Perhaps from an early college measurement?
Looks like short arms on a guy with that length.

Good football players find a way to succeed. Does McGary have other tools to compensate? If not he will be exposed in the league. It’s merciless. I think he’ll make it, but not willing to spend a 1st to find out.

Reactions: JB
Short arms are not a detriment in run blocking but the disadvantage shows up in blocking the pass rush. In today's defenses the pass rush comes from both sides, much more so than in the past. The importance of the RT is evaluated much higher than in the past and is not much less than the LT, against the modern defenses. His arm length is the reason why Williams draft potential is seen by many as an OG rather than an OT.

Remember after the playoff loss DW4 saying how he wasn't able to step into his throws throughout the game. Elgton Jenkins ability to drop anchor against the bull rush is unmatched on the interior OL in this year's class. Houston Texans could have 2 starting OL from Mississippi State next season with him and Rankin.

Jenkins has also started at 4 of 5 OL positions in his college career and is battle tested against SEC competition. Houston Texan worthy!

Remember after the playoff loss DW4 saying how he wasn't able to step into his throws throughout the game. Elgton Jenkins ability to drop anchor against the bull rush is unmatched on the interior OL in this year's class. Houston Texans could have 2 starting OL from Mississippi State next season with him and Rankin.

Jenkins has also started at 4 of 5 OL positions in his college career and is battle tested against SEC competition. Houston Texan worthy!
Some pundits say he is better than McCoy at C.

Back