Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

I would agree with this and to me, that makes Kelemete the odd man out or it could be Martin being that if McCoy were drafted, I think he could beat Martin out from Day 1. Texans would have Mancz and possibly Fulton to backup at Center.
Puts Texans in a dilemma.
Martin was a second round pick and they will be loathe to cut him.
I think they will try him at guard for a season first and then maybe try to trade him if he doesn't work out.

I think they will try him at guard for a season first and then maybe try to trade him if he doesn't work out.
I absolutely think everyone on the o-line should compete for their job. If he doesn't start, Martin would be more versatile than Kelemete. And cheaper.

I would agree with this and to me, that makes Kelemete the odd man out or it could be Martin being that if McCoy were drafted, I think he could beat Martin out from Day 1. Texans would have Mancz and possibly Fulton to backup at Center.
I absolutely think everyone on the o-line should compete for their job. If he doesn't start, Martin would be more versatile than Kelemete. And cheaper.
I have a feeling Martin will be decent at guard.
They took Mancz out of the center position for some reason while he was doing okay. Martin is not doing as well so maybe they should swap back or at least be switched just like Mancz was.
Doesn't make much sense otherwise - especially when they did better where they were.

I know these are 2 OT's that some on here are high on but personally I hope the Texans stay clear of both. Cajuste is just too injury prone...
I agree that Cajuste should be removed from Day 2 consideration. But, he could be a value pick on Day 3. I was already thinking that the Texans should take a shot at a raw small school type with a Day 3 pick. Like a Oli Udoh of Elon or Trey Pipkins out of Division II Sioux Falls. Cajuste would be even better. Give him a redshirt year to get healed up, and he could compete for a starting spot in 2020.

I would have to say that this is a mis-report by Rapaport. Meyers is a general surgeon who does not perform quad muscle tendon repair (a surgery performed by an orthopedic surgeon) essentially confines his practice to core structure repair. Furthermore, the 3 month return to play is not consistent with quadriceps muscle tendon surgery (quad muscle tears are not surgically repaired)............it is though entirely consistent with "sports hernia" related surgery.

I would have to say that this is a mis-report by Rapaport. Meyers is a general surgeon who does not perform quad muscle tendon repair (a surgery performed by an orthopedic surgeon) essentially confines his practice to core structure repair. Furthermore, the 3 month return to play is not consistent with quadriceps muscle tendon surgery (quad muscle tears are not surgically repaired)............it is though entirely consistent with "sports hernia" related surgery.

As always, thanks for the info Doc!

In your professional opinion is Cajuste someone the Texans should look at on Day 3, if he's still there, or is he just someone that, given his past medical issues, will probably never be able to stay healthy and able to play for any length of time? I just hate wasting a pick on someone with a lengthy injury history that can never seem to stay on the field, even if he's a Day 3 pick and has Day 1 talent!

As always, thanks for the info Doc!

In your professional opinion is Cajuste someone the Texans should look at on Day 3, if he's still there, or is he just someone that, given his past medical issues, will probably never be able to stay healthy and able to play for any length of time? I just hate wasting a pick on someone with a lengthy injury history that can never seem to stay on the field, even if he's a Day 3 pick and has Day 1 talent!
I like Cajuste's motivation and intelligent interviews. With this last injury, as I've posted in the past, ~86% (of "sports hernias) are associated with hip joint abnormalities with its implications as far as future surgery and/or compensatory injuries. Recurrence rate after repair has been found to be 3-10% depending on the study. And if his recent surgery was only on one side, he may be looking at a surgery on the other side at one point in time. In one 2013 study, while one side was being laparoscopically repaired, of the 75 patients, bilateral thinning of the posterior abdominal wall floor was noted in 74 athletes (98.7%). Unilateral findings were demonstrated in just 1 patient (1.3%). He may still be worth a late round pick if something better doesn't come about by then.

Jonah William, Alabama
Overview
Early entrant and three-year starter whose work ethic, attention to detail and desire to get better each day have made him a foundation piece of Alabama's dominant run. Like his idol, Joe Thomas, Williams uses angles, technique and body control to succeed in all facets of the game. He looked more comfortable in his pass sets at left tackle in his final year and he has the tools necessary to counter bigger, longer edge defenders despite a lack of ideal size and length for the left tackle spot. His cerebral nature and potential versatility should make him a safe pick and successful, long-time starter in the NFL.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonah-williams?id=32195749-4c13-2676-fb3e-2b3d97cbfc66
That's Lance Zeirlines take on 'Bama's Jonah William and he's obviously impessed by him and his college career but doesn't even list his as a tackle in spite of his steller 3-year career at that poisiton (two years as the LT starter) @ Alabama. Zeirline has Williams listed as a guard.
And the more I think bout drafting Andre Dillard, evrybodys choice in this Draft, the more I'm inclined to think he will be beyond our reach. I don't think he will make it to the mid-teens which is probably as far as Gaine is willing to move up or can move up in the Draft from 23 without expending three or more Draft picks.
So perhaps the best plan B is J. Williams because even if some don't see him as a long-term NFL LT well he can perhaps play that position better for us than anybody else on our roster near term and buy us some valuable time to find that franchise LT ?

The top offensive linemen in the draft, according to the new PFF Big Board:

4. Jonah Williams
13. Andre Dillard
15. Jawaan Taylor
19. Dalton Risner
22. Cody Ford
26. Elgton Jenkins
34. Greg Little
41. Garrett Bradbury
50. Max Sharping

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) April 2, 2019

The top offensive linemen in the draft, according to the new PFF Big Board:

4. Jonah Williams 3
13. Andre Dillard 2
15. Jawaan Taylor 1
19. Dalton Risner 6
22. Cody Ford 5
26. Elgton Jenkins
34. Greg Little
41. Garrett Bradbury 4
50. Max Sharping

— PFF HOU Texans (@PFF_Texans) April 2, 2019

Put my grades opposite their’s. No grade from me on others not ranked.

Jawaan Taylor is a beast.
Dillard has highest upside.
Jonah is most versatile.
Bradbury will be a Pro-Bowl Guard or Center.
Cody Ford is 2nd most versatile OL behind only Jonah. Would probably start RT for Texans.
Risner is 3rd most versatile OL. Second option after Ford to be next RT.

Last edited:
Put my grades opposite their’s. No grade from me on others not ranked.

Jawaan Taylor is a beast.
Dillard has highest upside.
Jonah is most versatile.
Bradbury will be a Pro-Bowl Guard or Center.
Cody Ford is 2nd most versatile OL behind only Jonah. Would probably start RT for Texans.
Risner is 3rd most versatile OL. Second option after Ford to be next RT.

I could see this. I'm not as high on Taylor as you are.

What do you think of Ivey as a late rd guy who could play RT? or either OG position?

I think if the right OL cach could reach him, he could be a long time starter. Winston like

I could see this. I'm not as high on Taylor as you are.

What do you think of Ivey as a late rd guy who could play RT? or either OG position?

I think if the right OL cach could reach him, he could be a long time starter. Winston like

Maybe Ivey could develop into Jawaan Taylor type? Both fall into high measureable camp. As posted in another thread, see O'Brian influence to draft more cerebral linemen over specimen type. Of those listed here, Jonah would get nod over Bradbury, because he could play tackle and Risner in 2nd (maybe trade up) to address RT. Give me Williams and Risner, addressing both tackle positions for Texans and I'm good with draft. Think both would do wonders for keeping Watson clean, upright and dynamic.

Maybe Ivey could develop into Jawaan Taylor type? Both fall into high measureable camp. As posted in another thread, see O'Brian influence to draft more cerebral linemen over specimen type. Of those listed here, Jonah would get nod over Bradbury, because he could play tackle and Risner in 2nd (maybe trade up) to address RT. Give me Williams and Risner, addressing both tackle positions for Texans and I'm good with draft. Think both would do wonders for keeping Watson clean, upright and dynamic.

BTW, I'm ok with trading future picks to make this happen.

For instance if 23 and 55 got me Williams and if 54 and a 2020 2nd got me Risner or just draft Cajuste at 54 and not trrade I would be OK with either scenario and I'm also OK with knowing Cajuste is probably going to have a short craeer. I'm betting Cajuste can make it thru his rookie contract.

I've been out sampling beers today, so if this post makes no sense I hope you get a LOL out of this.

For instance if 23 and 55 got me Williams and if 54 and a 2020 2nd got me Risner or just draft Cajuste at 54 and not trrade I would be OK with either scenario and I'm also OK with knowing Cajuste is probably going to have a short craeer. I'm betting Cajuste can make it thru his rookie contract.

I've been out sampling beers today, so if this post makes no sense I hope you get a LOL out of this.

Cajuste would probably not pass O’Brian’s character test? Of course I caught the one game he got thrown out for throwing a punch, lol

Same time I don’t want to over reach for Risner if cost too high. Cheaper option might be to trade a 3rd for Conklin? Titans as of yet, not locked him up 5th year and he’s coming off ACL. Yet I really like him and Texans just picked up a lower probability of success, former 4th overall tackle Matt Kalil. Conklin was Titans 1st rounder in 2016 8th overall and has much higher probability returning to all-pro form.

Last edited:
Cajuste would probably not pass O’Brian’s character test? Of course I caught the one game he got thrown out for throwing a punch, lol

Same time I don’t want to over reach for Risner if cost too high. Cheaper option might be to trade a 3rd for Conklin? Titans as of yet, not locked him up 5th year and he’s coming off ACL. Yet I really like him and Texans just picked up a lower probability of success, former 4th overall tackle Matt Kalil. Conklin was Titans 1st rounder in 2016 8th overall and has much higher probability returning to all-pro form.
They may want more than our third as he is one of their starters. Wasn't he a pro bowler?
Our two seconds might make them consider it though.

Why would the Titans want to trade him? He;s just now starting his 4th season, they have all year to pick up the 5th year option .

They'd hit the OL trifecta if they could figure out how to add Erik McCoy as well. Williams, Risner and McCoy would be solid building blocks for a OL that could grow with Watson.

Why would the Titans want to trade him? He;s just now starting his 4th season, they have all year to pick up the 5th year option .

They have until may 3rd this year.

In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31).

A more interesting prospect than Conklin if we are talking young veteran tackles would be the Packers reserve LT Gerald Spriggs. Lucky mentioned Spriggs recently in another thread and if he's not more interesting he's probably a more realistic possibility than Conklin who would surely command much more than a third round pick if he's even
a possibility.

A more interesting prospect than Conklin if we are talking young veteran tackles would be the Packers reserve LT Gerald Spriggs. Lucky mentioned Spriggs recently in another thread and if he's not more interesting he's probably a more realistic possibility than Conklin who would surely command much more than a third round pick if he's even
a possibility.

Spriggs is kinda what we’ve had isn’t he, more of a stop gap, serviceable, would be journeyman tackle?

I’m not one for trading picks. Maybe there would be something else in the works besides a 3rd but not much in reality, just enough for both parties to be happy. I’m all for elite OL to help Watson and Texans compete for Championship. Think there are creative ways in tandem with the draft to achieve this goal if it is made a priority.

pipe dreams

If the goal was to land these 3 players.....then they'd have to be creative in making it happen. First, I think the Texans and Clowney are at an impasse. With Lawrence's new contract from the Cowboys, there's going to be even more pressure on Cal and Gaine to make a decision that by all indications they don't want to make. They've tagged Clowney but he's no good to the team if he sits for a season. So, he's my pawn in making the OL better.

With a healthy Texans offense and a better OL, I think the wear and tear on the defense will be greatly reduced since I could see the Texans just absolutely out scoring their opponents.

If the Texans could move Clowney for a late RD1 (24-32) and early RD4 (1-10) or a early RD2 (1-10) and mid to late RD3 (14-32 before COMP Picks), then I'd say they might have the ammunition to get all three.

RD1-23: LT- Dillard or LT- Williams
RD1-24-32 or RD2-1-10: RT- Risner
RD2-22: C- McCoy

RD2-23: CB- Mullen or CB- Johnson / Houston (Length and speed will move his stock up the chart)

RD3-23: ???

RD3-14-32 or RD4-1-10: ???

You've got 3 answers for the OL and a CB.......with 2 more picks before RD5 even starts.

RD5-23: ???

RD6-22: ???

RD7-06: ???

I think there will be plenty of talented EDGE players available from RD3 to reduce the loss of Clowney. A scoring offense and a better defensive backfield would make the Texans front seven look like the revival of the "Monsters of Midway".

Not to mention, the cap would be looking pretty good for 2020 as well.

Last edited:
If the goal was to land these 3 players.....then they'd have to be creative in making it happen. First, I think the Texans and Clowney are at an impasse. With Lawrence's new contract from the Cowboys, there's going to be even more pressure on Cal and Gaine to make a decision that by all indications they don't want to make. They've tagged Clowney but he's no good to the team if he sits for a season. So, he's my pawn in making the OL better.

With a healthy Texans offense and a better OL, I think the wear and tear on the defense will be greatly reduced since I could see the Texans just absolutely out scoring their opponents.

If the Texans could move Clowney for a late RD1 (24-32) and early RD4 (1-10) or a early RD2 (1-10) and mid to late RD3 (14-32 before COMP Picks), then I'd say they might have the ammunition to get all three.

RD1-23: LT- Dillard or LT- Williams
RD1-24-32 or RD2-1-10: RT- Risner
RD2-22: C- McCoy

RD2-23: CB- Mullen or CB- Johnson / Houston (Length and speed will move his stock up the chart)

RD3-23: ???

RD3-14-32 or RD4-1-10: ???

You've got 3 answers for the OL and a CB.......with 2 more picks before RD5 even starts.

RD5-23: ???

RD6-22: ???

RD7-06: ???

I think there will be plenty of talented EDGE players available from RD3 to reduce the loss of Clowney. A scoring offense and a better defensive backfield would make the Texans front seven look like the revival of the "Monsters of Midway".

Not to mention, the cap would be looking pretty good for 2020 as well.
Good thinkin 99.

Actually, you're putting themselves in your chair

Is this what has disturbed you? Message board JB.....just a message board. Hate taking a long but amusing crap in your Rice Krispies. You to can get over it.

You do realize you're talking the Texans right? Like I said, pipe dreams

I like posters who throw new ideas about what they would like to see done and how the Texans could be doing things differently.

With that said there's no way the Texans org would ever do what OT suggested.

I wish they would be this aggressive though.

I like posters who throw new ideas about what they would like to see done and how the Texans could be doing things differently.

That's the whole idea, we know the Texans would never make a move like this but if I had the strings and managed to exactly this.....how would you view the move, the first 4 players drafted and who could you fill the final 5 picks with?

Could this make the Texans a better team overall?

This is what folks could sit around discussing while enjoying a beer and grilling. I've had many good weekends doing just this.

Is this what has disturbed you? Message board JB.....just a message board. Hate taking a long but amusing crap in your Rice Krispies. You to can get over it.

Doesn't disturb me at all, sorry if I offend you by blowing up your balloon image of reality by calling it what it is. Being a message board doesn't make it facebook where we're all trying to impress each other in some misguided idea or another

That's the whole idea, we know the Texans would never make a move like this but if I had the strings and managed to exactly this.....how would you view the move, the first 4 players drafted and who could you fill the final 5 picks with?

Could this make the Texans a better team overall?

This is what folks could sit around discussing while enjoying a beer and grilling. I've had many good weekends doing just this.

I wish the Texans org thought like you did, yes they wuld be much better overall.

I enjoy this kind of talk, some posters are more along the lines of what do you think the Texans org will do rather than what they could/should do. This would make for very boring discussion, since the Texans are a very boring/mediocre corporate cash cow of an org.

I wish they would be this aggressive though.

That's all I was trying to say. Don't mean to offend the sensitive

That's all I was trying to say. Don't mean to offend the sensitive

I'm not offended. I find it comical b/c the only other discussions would only revolve around folks trying to actually predict what the Texans would do.......no more a shot in the dark than wondering out loud what you might do if in their place.

Last edited:
Spriggs is kinda what we’ve had isn’t he, more of a stop gap, serviceable, would be journeyman tackle?

I’m not one for trading picks. Maybe there would be something else in the works besides a 3rd but not much in reality, just enough for both parties to be happy. I’m all for elite OL to help Watson and Texans compete for Championship. Think there are creative ways in tandem with the draft to achieve this goal if it is made a priority.

So BL sounds like you are all-in for moving up in the top round to draft Dillard or Williams, whoever you think is the star of this Drafts OT class to be our franchise LT ?

So BL sounds like you are all-in for moving up in the top round to draft Dillard or Williams, whoever you think is the star of this Drafts OT class to be our franchise LT ?

Did you see path to the draft, Jacksonville board mock last night? RT, Jawaan Taylor 1st then Garret Bradbury early 2nd. Sometimes it pays to suck if means justifies end.

Texans haven’t figured that one out yet, even when they suck. Or addressing OL. I would do whatever it takes but remains to be seen if they will?

Because of draft talent and team needs it’s a real possibility that Jonah Willians is available pick #23. Daniel Jeremiah has him graded out #20 prospect in latest 5.0 top 50 board. All it would take is for a QB or two, some unscheduled tradeups turning board into mayhem.

I’m just evaluating his skill set as a match to O’Brian and scheme he wants to run. On this Texans roster, he could play anywhere he’s needed and right now it’s LT.

Last edited:
Did you see path to the draft, Jacksonville board mock last night? RT, Jawaan Taylor 1st then Garret Bradbury early 2nd. Sometimes it pays to suck if means justifies end.

Texans haven’t figured that one out yet, even when they suck. Or addressing OL. I would do whatever it takes but remains to be seen if they will?

Because of draft talent and team needs it’s a real possibility that Jonah Willians is available pick #23. Daniel Jeremiah has him graded out #20 prospect in latest 5.0 top 50 board. All it would take is for a QB or two, some unscheduled tradeups turning board into mayhem.

I’m just evaluating his skill set as a match to O’Brian and scheme it wants to run. In Texans he could play anywhere he’s needed and right now it’s LT.

Jonah Williams is very similar to Isaiah Wynn who the Pats took at 23 last draft. What both lack in size and length they make up for by being the best technicians in their respective draft classes.

Will be interesting if Texans do the same thing the Patriots did and take the OL who doesn’t have protypical LT measurables if they somehow fall to their pick.

PS: I hope Wynn makes a full recovery from the achilles tear. Huge fan!

Jonah Williams is very similar to Isaiah Wynn who the Pats took at 23 last draft. What both lack in size and length they make up for by being the best technicians in their respective draft classes.

Will be interesting if Texans do the same thing the Patriots did and take the OL who doesn’t have protypical LT measurables if they somehow fall to their pick.

PS: I hope Wynn makes a full recovery from the achilles tear. Huge fan!

They should trade up if their's a chance to get Williams before the Vikings.

That's a tough call, i.e., increasing the consideration from a first to a first & second round pick because there's such a large opportunity cost in not having the player the
Texans could have potentially drafted with that second round pick.

That's a tough call, i.e., increasing the consideration from a first to a first & second round pick because there's such a large opportunity cost in not having the player the
Texans could have potentially drafted with that second round pick.

Texans need to come away with 3 OL and 2-3 Corners. I don't see them trading up at all with no 4th round pick.

Meh, there is plenty good talent in this draft. Andre Dillard, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, Erik McCoy, Elgton Jenkins, Garrett Bradbury, Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary, Max Scharping, Greg Little, Yodne Cajuste, David Edwards all have appeal and could all wind up being franchise guys and Texans have a shot at any of them.
We have a lot of holes and personally I would like to see extra dudes coming in.

Meh, there is plenty good talent in this draft. Andre Dillard, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, Erik McCoy, Elgton Jenkins, Garrett Bradbury, Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary, Max Scharping, Greg Little, Yodne Cajuste, David Edwards all have appeal and could all wind up being franchise guys and Texans have a shot at any of them.
We have a lot of holes and personally I would like to see extra dudes coming in.

I really don't get the urge to give away a likely starter for an arguably marginally better player, especially while likely passing on other better BPAs. That's how teams get talent devoid.

I really don't get the urge to give away a likely starter for an arguably marginally better player, especially while likely passing on other better BPAs. That's how teams get talent devoid.

Normally I would agree. But they have to get the LT riddle solved. Williams is a 10 year starting LT. Imho

The type of guy you gladly give up a 2nd to protect Watson for the next decade. Now if you don't like Williams that's another story.

Normally I would agree. But they have to get the LT riddle solved. Williams is a 10 year starting LT. Imho

The type of guy you gladly give up a 2nd to protect Watson for the next decade. Now if you don't like Williams that's another story.

Moving up for Williams or Dillard to you is worth Risner and Tytus Howard? Or Risner and David Long? Neither player is worth giving up a 2nd rounder.

Moving up for Williams or Dillard to you is worth Risner and Tytus Howard? Or Risner and David Long? Neither player is worth giving up a 2nd rounder.

Like I said before getting who I consider a decade long franchise LT that can start day one is worth a Risner who probably won't be there anyways or Long.

I can see how you feel differently. But give me the one guy rather than 2 maybes.

Just a different way of looking at it. Protecting Watson from taking 62 sacks is my number 1 priority and Williams will greatly help with this. Certainly more than a project like Howard. Although I would not mind if Gaine traded up up for Williams in the 1st and drafted Howard or Risner at 54. That's how much I want the OL to add premium talent so we can see Watson at his best.

I think Gaine most likely will see things the way you do more than me.

Back