Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

Some pundits say he is better than McCoy at C.

It surprised me that Jenkins was .5 sec better on the 3 cone drill than Mccoy (7.77 vs 8.28 at combine) because Mccoy looks better in space on film. But maybe that’s because he was asked to pull more in his offense. Jenkins has superior length and strength at point of attack though. Not that Mccoy lacks in strength he’s got plenty of it as well.

I think both guys should go between picks 25-45 but if either are there at 54 it’s too goo an opportunity to pass up!

Remember after the playoff loss DW4 saying how he wasn't able to step into his throws throughout the game. Elgton Jenkins ability to drop anchor against the bull rush is unmatched on the interior OL in this year's class. Houston Texans could have 2 starting OL from Mississippi State next season with him and Rankin.

Jenkins has also started at 4 of 5 OL positions in his college career and is battle tested against SEC competition. Houston Texan worthy!
I'm wanting 3 of our first 4 picks to be OL'men. I like Jenkins precisely for the reasons you state. I also have Connor McGovern, Penn State, penciled in as an OC prospect Texan worthy.

I'm wanting 3 of our first 4 picks to be OL'men. I like Jenkins precisely for the reasons you state. I also have Connor McGovern, Penn State, penciled in as an OC prospect Texan worthy.

Reviewing the Texans' draft visits:

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

And Gaine's press conference Thursday:

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/brian-gaine-addresses-the-upcoming-draft-more

I am a bit concerned about adding anyone on the interior OL. All the OL the team have brought in for visits are OTs aside from some late round/UDFA prospects. I could see them only adding one OL because they only dress 7 OL on game day and odd as it sounds... feel good about their interior starters relative to the prospects available.

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/brian-gaine-addresses-the-upcoming-draft-more

I am a bit concerned about adding anyone on the interior OL. All the OL the team have brought in for visits are OTs aside from some late round/UDFA prospects. I could see them only adding one OL because they only dress 7 OL on game day and odd as it sounds... feel good about their interior starters relative to the prospects available.

If that's the case:

1. The team is good with the interior OL personnel.

2. They want Davenport to work out at LT and brought in Khalil as insurance.

3. That only leaves RT as the reasonable OL position open for questions.

Texans either take Dalton Risner at 23 or trade back and gain a pick if they feel Risner will still be on the board. Risner 100% fits OB's concept of what an OL should be on the Texans.....versatile. Risner is not only versatile but he could play RT, RG and OC at a top level.

If that's the case:

Texans either take Dalton Risner at 23 or trade back and gain a pick if they feel Risner will still be on the board. Risner 100% fits OB's concept of what an OL should be on the Texans.....versatile. Risner is not only versatile but he could play RT, RG and OC at a top level.

Correct, he fits like a glove. Also Cody Ford whom the Texans met with and can kick inside to OG.

I’d say better chance Ford gets taken at 23 than Risner. Would obviously prefer a trade back if this is their plan but need a partner to make that happen!

I am not a Brian Gaine hater in any way, shape, or form. And I realize he has spent too much time locked up in room, talking to the same guys about the same players. Over and over. But let me say 3 things to Mr. Gaine:

1) If you say "Let the draft board speak to us" one more time, I'm gonna break my speakers. The draft board is not an organism. It's a list of players you and your colleagues created. You are speaking to yourself when you read it. Stop it.

2) We're still in America, right? Then pronounce "versatile" like an American not named Deion Sanders. The -tile is pronounced like tull, as in Jethro Tull. If you're in jolly olde England, then it's pronounced like -tile as in ceramic tile. Stop it.

3) There is no 4th day in the draft. Never has been a 4th day in the draft in the history of drafts. Even when baseball drafted a million rounds. 3 days, and you get to relax, go outside, and get some fresh air.

Well hell....I see no mention of a visit with Ferrell or Tillery.

Ferrell probably goes early but Tillery could still be there. Probably goes to dallas. Dammmit.

:coffee:

I am not a Brian Gaine hater in any way, shape, or form. And I realize he has spent too much time locked up in room, talking to the same guys about the same players. Over and over. But let me say 3 things to Mr. Gaine:

1) If you say "Let the draft board speak to us" one more time, I'm gonna break my speakers. The draft board is not an organism. It's a list of players you and your colleagues created. You are speaking to yourself when you read it. Stop it.

2) We're still in America, right? Then pronounce "versatile" like an American not named Deion Sanders. The -tile is pronounced like tull, as in Jethro Tull. If you're in jolly olde England, then it's pronounced like -tile as in ceramic tile. Stop it.

3) There is no 4th day in the draft. Never has been a 4th day in the draft in the history of drafts. Even when baseball drafted a million rounds. 3 days, and you get to relax, go outside, and get some fresh air.

Would just add on the 4th day is Un-Drafted free agent frenzy day. :bender:

Well hell....I see no mention of a visit with Ferrell or Tillery.

Ferrell probably goes early but Tillery could still be there. Probably goes to dallas. Dammmit.

Not having a player visit doesn't mean the Texans don't have a player on their board. Majority reasons for player visits are teams have questions about a player's character makeup and/or scheme fit. So they'll interview/workout the player as needed. Or they feel the player has a strong chance of playing in their division so they want to get a closer look and bring them in even if they likely wont be able to draft them (EX: AJ Brown WR Ole Miss).

The big indicator imo is position groups. The Texans are looking at DL. But not interior OL. Which saddens me :(

Right on. I was a bit surprised so few interior linemen have been interviewed.

If that's the case:

I think Greg Little would be there also, if he can allay concerns about his motivation. Both these player's prospects of moving inside could help explain the lack of concern in bring in OG's for interviews.

Right on. I was a bit surprised so few interior linemen have been interviewed.

If they are dressing 7 on game day and view Rankin as a LG now we should look like this:

LG Rankin/Kelemete
C Martin/Mancz
RG Fulton

With Mancz able to play all 3 interior OL positions and Kelemete able to even play OT in a pinch. One of them will be deactivated gameday. I don't think a later round interior OL will beat one of those 5 for a roster spot but first 3 rounds sure do. Most interesting is Martin is in his final year and has not performed up to expectations (largely due to back to back ankle surgeries). I'd still try to use a premium pick on the position and let Martin go in offseason. EX: My draft crush Elgton Jenkins at 54 or 55.

If Martin wins a starting spot then the team gets a compensatory pick for him. If he can't be one of the starting 3 then DW4 is that much safer this season.

I think Greg Little would be there also, if he can allay concerns about his motivation. Both these player's prospects of moving inside could help explain the lack of concern in bring in OG's for interviews.

I don't think Little was brought in for his position versatility but for ideal size/measurables to play the most important spot (LT) and possibly be had in round 2-3 range.

If they are dressing 7 on game day and view Rankin as a LG now we should look like this:

LG Rankin/Kelemete
C Martin/Mancz
RG Fulton

With Mancz able to play all 3 interior OL positions and Kelemete able to even play OT in a pinch. One of them will be deactivated gameday. I don't think a later round interior OL will beat one of those 5 for a roster spot but first 3 rounds sure do. Most interesting is Martin is in his final year and has not performed up to expectations (largely due to back to back ankle surgeries). I'd still try to use a premium pick on the position and let Martin go in offseason. EX: My draft crush Elgton Jenkins at 54 or 55.

If Martin wins a starting spot then the team gets a compensatory pick for him. If he can't be one of the starting 3 then DW4 is that much safer this season.

Elgton Jenkins would be a terrific addition, cut bait w/Martin. Break that 2nd rd. OL curse :cow:

LG Rankin/Kelemete
C Martin/Mancz
RG Fulton

You and I are on the same page. You are the first to notice, beside myself, Martin is in his final year. Mancz has just signed a two year contract. I get the feeling the organization likes him in the backup role for all three interior positions. But I noticed, and it has been mentioned here, Watson had problems with the interior line/ OC being pushed back/collapsing the pocket. We need someone bigger and stouter who can anchor against the middle bull rush. My opinion is this is second only to OT in fixing our OL problems.

You and I are on the same page. You are the first to notice, beside myself, Martin is in his final year. Mancz has just signed a two year contract. I get the feeling the organization likes him in the backup role for all three interior positions. But I noticed, and it has been mentioned here, Watson had problems with the interior line/ OC being pushed back/collapsing the pocket. We need someone bigger and stouter who can anchor against the middle bull rush. My opinion is this is second only to OT in fixing our OL problems.

Exactly. Hence why my draft crush is Elgton Jenkins. The best center in this draft at defeating the bull rush and maintaining a squeaky clean pocket for our franchise QB to step up into his throws!

Not having a player visit doesn't mean the Texans don't have a player on their board. Majority reasons for player visits are teams have questions about a player's character makeup and/or scheme fit. So they'll interview/workout the player as needed. Or they feel the player has a strong chance of playing in their division so they want to get a closer look and bring them in even if they likely wont be able to draft them (EX: AJ Brown WR Ole Miss).

The big indicator imo is position groups. The Texans are looking at DL. But not interior OL. Which saddens me :(

Tillery does have a few red flags. Most likely won't be on the teams draft board. I think he will be a good one.

I am probably wrong but I think Watt might be moved inside so I was looking for an outside rusher.

So we will probably draft another TE at 23. :rolleyes:

j/k For some unknown reason I feel Gaine will surprise us all with a great draft,

Would just add, unrelated but in this discussion related, Texans divisional nemesis the Colts, are expected to use their first rounder, #26 overall on DT Dexter Lawrence, Alabama or Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson. It’s only going to get tougher on Watson, Texans have to get him some better offensive lineman.

In other shocking news Joe Thomas arm length measured just over 33” and change (3/4”).

not shocking news as it was in the post I quoted, but still one of the shortest in that draft class

Would just add, unrelated but in this discussion related, Texans divisional nemesis the Colts, are expected to use their first rounder, #26 overall on DT Dexter Lawrence, Alabama or Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson. It’s only going to get tougher on Watson, Texans have to get him some better offensive lineman.

If Ferrell gets past Houston I will be forced to rethink my opinion of Gaine.

Unless Ferrell flops then I will say I told you so. :)

They’re on the phone with the UDFAs while the 3rd day draft is ongoing.

I was with my nephew when he signed a couple of draft ago. The seeds are planted in pre-draft interviews before the draft. those calls start as early as the 5th round and are pretty hot and heavy in the 6th and many of the agreements are made well before 7th round is complete. If you are wanted by a team anywhere from a position coach to a coordinator to a head coach may talk with the player. Example: Chris eventually signed with the Falcons because the head coach talked with him and explained exactly how he was going to be used in the scheme and gave him a picture of what it would take to make the team.

not shocking news as it was in the post I quoted, but still one of the shortest in that draft class

Dispels myth you need long arms to be a franchise LT. Everyone cracking McGary’s nuts for having short arms with his size, dude is built to be a tackle. That was my point insert :sarcasm:

Reactions: JB
I think we need to come to terms with the fact we won't be drafting a starting LT this year.

Accept it now, get over it & come Thursday we'll be able to enjoy the draft for what it is.
I am of the opinion that if we can draft one good OL who can start contributing straight away then the coaches have something to work with.
Sometimes it only takes one good piece to change the fortunes of a group.

I am of the opinion that if we can draft one good OL who can start contributing straight away then the coaches have something to work with.
Sometimes it only takes one good piece to change the fortunes of a group.

Add Rankin inserting into LG and Fells as blocking TE you may be onto something!

Add Rankin inserting into LG and Fells as blocking TE you may be onto something!
Yeah I imagine coaches will be trying everything they can to improve Watson's lot back there - including how Watson himself operates - i.e., getting rid of the ball quicker more often instead of holding onto it waiting for the big play. You just can't do that with a below average line.

I think we need to come to terms with the fact we won't be drafting a starting LT this year.

Accept it now, get over it & come Thursday we'll be able to enjoy the draft for what it is.

TK, I accepted this a long time ago simply because there is only 1 (Dillard), or maybe 2 (Taylor), in this draft class worth playing LT and both should be long gone before the Texans pick at #23. The rest of the OT's are either RT's (Ford/Risner/McGary), will be moved to OG/OC (Williams), or developmental players that will take a couple of years before they play LT (Howard/Cajuste), if ever! This is a weak class for OT's. They all have their "warts" so to speak and there is no "Joe Thomas" in this class. So, yes, I have resigned myself to the fact the Texans will not be drafting a LT in this draft! Baring a miracle, they are stuck with Davenport and Kalil at LT for this season!

I saw a mock trade involving Texans #23 and #55 to move up to #13 (Miami) and drafting Jonah Williams. I’d be good with that.

The Texans can at least attempt at getting their starting left tackle this draft if they’re willing to take a risk.

Which OT prospects do you think would be better suited to an OG role in the NFL? Also, does anyone think Jawaan Taylor could handle the move to the left side and become a good LT?

Cody Ford had a good 2018, but had medical issues in 2016 and 2017. I would hesitate drafting any prospect with a history of medical issues. Has CnnnD had anything to say about Ford?

Which OT prospects do you think would be better suited to an OG role in the NFL? Also, does anyone think Jawaan Taylor could handle the move to the left side and become a good LT?
I think the team that drafts Taylor will eventually move him to LT. I think Jonah Williams and Cody Ford will wind up at OG, but could start out at OT.

Has anyone watched any of Paul Adams tape? Surprisingly good late round guy. Seems like a real Texans kinda guy. Don’t be surprised to see him in a Texans uniform soon.

I think the team that drafts Taylor will eventually move him to LT. I think Jonah Williams and Cody Ford will wind up at OG, but could start out at OT.
I think Williams would be a great C. Not sure he has the power to play G unless in a primarily zone system. Ford should start at RT. I think he’ll be fine there. If not a dominant G. Ford is highly underrated.

I think Williams would be a great C. Not sure he has the power to play G unless in a primarily zone system. Ford should start at RT. I think he’ll be fine there. If not a dominant G. Ford is highly underrated.

These are the OL I like the most for the Texans.

Cody Ford Oklahoma Jr OL 4 6-4 329 Id be totally kok with him at 23

Kaleb McGary Washington Sr OL 6 6-7 317 Love him with a trade back.

Dalton Risner Kansas St. Sr OL 8 6-5 312 Love him with a trade back.

Elgton Jenkins Miss. State Sr OL 11 6-4 310 Love him with a trade back.

Connor McGovern Penn St. Jr OL 15 6-5 308 2nd round

Lamont Gaillard Georgia Sr OL 28 6-3 305 5th round

Paul Adams Missouri Sr OL 34 6-6 317 6-7 round

Hjalte Froholdt Arkansas Sr OL 43 6-5 306 6=7 round

I would love to have Williams but if the rumours of a run on OL happens, he won't be a Texan.
I think he is capable of playing any position on the line at a high level and that makes him the most valuable OL in this draft for mine.
If I can see that, you can be sure the experts see it too.
I think he is the first OL off the board.

I didn't want to muddle up the rookie mini camp thread any more than it is so I am posting my question in here. I keep reading on the board how well Dillard has performed against top competition, but who has he actually faced that was top level? The few DE/OLB/Edge players from the Pac-10 that I would consider to be even mediocre lined up on their natural side which was opposite of Dillard.

I didn't want to muddle up the rookie mini camp thread any more than it is so I am posting my question in here. I keep reading on the board how well Dillard has performed against top competition, but who has he actually faced that was top level? The few DE/OLB/Edge players from the Pac-10 that I would consider to be even mediocre lined up on their natural side which was opposite of Dillard.

Jelks Holland

Lots of people saying that Dillard was overrated on this message board. And he slid to #22 even with teams needing LT passing on him.
I think that's all a big joke. They just want to feel safe and secure and don't want to admit the Texans pooped the bed in the draft. The Texans aren't the only team that has trouble evaluating players. The Eagles won the super bowl recently, so we can all admit they know how to build a winning team. If they traded up to draft Dillard, even though they don't have a need at that position this year, should tell you everything that you need to know. The guy is a going to be a starter, and he wasn't even expected to be available at that spot in the draft. So our Front Office had the chance to trade up and fill the biggest need on our team, instead waited it out and got burned. Then made it worse by panicking and reaching on a right tackle project.

Lots of people saying that Dillard was overrated on this message board. And he slid to #22 even with teams needing LT passing on him.
I think that's all a big joke. They just want to feel safe and secure and don't want to admit the Texans pooped the bed in the draft. The Texans aren't the only team that has trouble evaluating players. The Eagles won the super bowl recently, so we can all admit they know how to build a winning team. If they traded up to draft Dillard, even though they don't have a need at that position this year, should tell you everything that you need to know. The guy is a going to be a starter, and he wasn't even expected to be available at that spot in the draft. So our Front Office had the chance to trade up and fill the biggest need on our team, instead waited it out and got burned. Then made it worse by panicking and reaching on a right tackle project.

That Eagles team isn't as good now that Frank Reich is gone.

Back