Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official Training Camp Thread

This might be mentioned already but this is a long thread. When healthy, everytime i see highlights from camp on the website Quinn is EVERYWHERE. Batting balls, forcing fumbles, so much to the point where i could almost care less if dunta comes back.

Good draft pick.

This might be mentioned already but this is a long thread. When healthy, everytime i see highlights from camp on the website Quinn is EVERYWHERE. Batting balls, forcing fumbles, so much to the point where i could almost care less if dunta comes back.

Good draft pick.

along with his forced fumble and near interception on matt shaub, he had 3 deflections in the goaline today per 610 5 minutes ago. impressive, im excited:texflag:

I wish the NFL would give us seven 4th round picks instead of a pick each round. We would already have a dynasty because we are money in the 4th round!!!

Considering it is you that asked this question, I'll just chalk it off as temporary brain flatulence. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that.

For some reason, I had my dates messed up.

I was wondering why we would be scrimmaging against the Saints this week, playing the Chiefs on Saturday, and then playing the Saints next Saturday. Didn't make sense. :wacko:

I listened to McCain on Friday and I wonder if he just throws random names out there when he's asked who's impressed him. He always goes with a 7th string DB none of us have heard of.

I listened to McCain on Friday and I wonder if he just throws random names out there when he's asked who's impressed him. He always goes with a 7th string DB none of us have heard of.

To be fair... McCain and Nolan have both looked really good especially considering where they were selected. They both have shown some playmaking ability here and there. McCain has some raw speed and... eh they're just a 6th and a 7th rounder but I like what I saw of them when I went to practice.

To be fair... McCain and Nolan have both looked really good especially considering where they were selected. They both have shown some playmaking ability here and there. McCain has some raw speed and... eh they're just a 6th and a 7th rounder but I like what I saw of them when I went to practice.

I think Mexican Texan meant "McClain".

I remember reading this thread and getting more and more excited about Nolan by the post. I really hope he can step it up, as FS is a position we could stand to improve in IMO. I have nothing against Wilson, and I know many here are fans. I think he is a solid player, but not a spectacular one.

I remember reading this thread and getting more and more excited about Nolan by the post. I really hope he can step it up, as FS is a position we could stand to improve in IMO. I have nothing against Wilson, and I know many here are fans. I think he is a solid player, but not a spectacular one.

Kubiak (on the progress of S Troy Nolan) "He's showing signs that he can play in this league. He's making too many mistakes at times, and if we can get that corrected, he's got the ability to play."

Exactly what I said when discussing the draft picks early on.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61596

I think Mexican Texan meant "McClain".

I know exactly who he was referring to. John. I'm referring to Bryce McCain. Our 6th round selection at CB. I was referencing low draft picks. Just trying to throw out that McClain is not alone in thinking that our low picks (specifically Nolan but I threw McCain in the mix) look good.

Not McCain and Quin. Many people are impressed by them, though I haven't heard much about Nolan.

McClain, the writer, throws out names of guys who are long shots to make the PS.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Every time I see someone wearing #37, I wish they'd retire it. That's DD/DW's number, dammit!

Reactions: Fox
Did yall hear the ESPN 1250 the zone from SA was inside the bubble for training camp. They had alot of good interviews. I believe this was a first for Texans fans in San Antonio.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Every time I see someone wearing #37, I wish they'd retire it. That's DD/DW's number, dammit!

I would rather retire players from the Texans Super Bowl winning teams instead of players from Texans teams that have never had a winning record.

FWIW, the Jets will be playing the Rams tonight on NFLN at 6 PM for those who might want to scout our week 1 opponent. Followed by the Broncos/Niners

I'll be watching as I finish my last two solar screens. :gun:

I would rather retire players from the Texans Super Bowl winning teams instead of players from Texans teams that have never had a winning record.

Hell, DD was the offense there for a while. You can't deny his rather prominent place in early Texan history.

Agreed, just doesn't look right without Domanick in the jersey.

Thanks, at least I know I'm not the only one.

Didn't look good with Darius Walker in it and it doesn't look good with Arian Foster, either.

DD/DW is about the only player I feel that way about, FWIW.

The only Texans jersey I have is DD's. I bought it shortly before his knee injury. :(

I don't think I'll wear it again, and not just because I shed a few shirt sizes since I bought it. I think I'll hang it up in my room.

Well, did anyone go to the practice this morning? Any updates yet?

I couldn't go this morning due to work, but will likely go tomorrow.

790am reported that Mark Brunell (Brees not here due to personal matters) absolutely lit up the Texans secondary. Not good news.

Well, did anyone go to the practice this morning? Any updates yet?

I couldn't go this morning due to work, but will likely go tomorrow.

Same story for me, I'm gonna try to make it out tomorrow.

I've heard some reports out of the practice, but they obviously had a Saints-centric point of view. I'll sum up some of what I've read.

-Drew Brees wasn't there (mother's funeral services) so our passing O wasn't quite at full-bore

-Texan's passing O looked pretty good, especially in 7-on-7 drills with no DLine. This is pretty much always the case, but it's still good practice for the defenses.

-Saints running game was pretty good, but a large grain of salt to be taken since the practice wasn't full-contact. Bush was a full go today, which probably means he either won't be this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

-I heard Jacoby Jones had a long reception in the 2nd or 3rd team drills over Leigh Torrence.

-Everyone was very impressed with Andre Johnson. Not that I didn't already know, but people were reminded that he's for sure a top 5 receiver in the league. Jabari Greer was covering him, and Greer's been very good so far in camp, but Johnson was too good to hold him.

It's all second hand, so I'm sure some will come in with more first-hand accounts from a Houston standpoint.

790am reported that Mark Brunell (Brees not here due to personal matters) absolutely lit up the Texans secondary. Not good news.

I'm actually pretty confident in Brunell as a short-term backup to Drew if for some reason Drew couldn't go. He's old as dirt, but pretty smart and can avoid pressure in the pocket fairly well.

I wouldn't worry too much about either team's defense getting lit up just yet. Not that both offenses aren't better because they likely are, but it was no contact which severely limits the D's aggressiveness and lets the qb's play a lot looser knowing there's no consequences for holding onto the ball.

I'm actually pretty confident in Brunell as a short-term backup to Drew if for some reason Drew couldn't go. He's old as dirt, but pretty smart and can avoid pressure in the pocket fairly well.

I wouldn't worry too much about either team's defense getting lit up just yet. Not that both offenses aren't better because they likely are, but it was no contact which severely limits the D's aggressiveness and lets the qb's play a lot looser knowing there's no consequences for holding onto the ball.

Yeah, if you let Brunell get comfy, he'll pick you apart. He's still a good QB.

/\ thanks for the link. From that, I'm hearing more and more "bad things" about this....

Saints highly regarded right guard Jahri Evans stopped Amobi Okoye twice, seemingly with ease.

flip side, more good things of this...
Frank Okam looked very strong against third-team center Digger Bujnoch, shifting him aside before heading to the quarterback on one snap.

/\ thanks for the link. From that, I'm hearing more and more "bad things" about this....

flip side, more good things of this...

Heh, I hear you. Jahri Evans is a damn good guard, though. There's a lot of talk of him actually being one of the best in the league, or at least one of the best that no one talks about. I think Okam can be a pretty nice space eater for you guys and he's someone I wanted the Saints to have a look at in the draft in rounds 3-5. I will say that as big of a fan as I am, though, I've never heard of Digger Bujnoch.

I'd be more excited about Williams handling Jamal Brown, although it was said that they split their reps. Williams victory sounded more impressive, though.

I watched Williams vs Brown in one on ones today. The first play he ran Brown over with a bullrush and the second play he slipped trying to beat Brown around the edge. When the play ended Williams was angry about the slip taking away another win in one on one drills. I'm sure he's going to make Brown pay for it tomorrow and Saturday though!!!

In that same drill Tim Jamison looked good with a nice spin move to beat his blocker. Jamison is looking like a steal as a UDFA so far :)

I watched Williams vs Brown in one on ones today. The first play he ran Brown over with a bullrush and the second play he slipped trying to beat Brown around the edge. When the play ended Williams was angry about the slip taking away another win in one on one drills. I'm sure he's going to make Brown pay for it tomorrow and Saturday though!!!

In that same drill Tim Jamison looked good with a nice spin move to beat his blocker. Jamison is looking like a steal as a UDFA so far :)

Yikes, I don't want the Saints to steal Jamison from us! :bat:

Heh, I hear you. Jahri Evans is a damn good guard, though. There's a lot of talk of him actually being one of the best in the league, or at least one of the best that no one talks about. I think Okam can be a pretty nice space eater for you guys and he's someone I wanted the Saints to have a look at in the draft in rounds 3-5. I will say that as big of a fan as I am, though, I've never heard of Digger Bujnoch.

I'd be more excited about Williams handling Jamal Brown, although it was said that they split their reps. Williams victory sounded more impressive, though.

Evans is a good player, I agree!

ESPN's AFC South blog on the afternoon Texans/Saints practice session:

• I watched backup quarterback Orlovsky closely during his snaps in red zone seven-on-seven, and he was 5-for-5 passing. I understand the take-what's-available approach, but only one of the throws came close to the goal line. The ball started at the 15-yard line and gradually moved a bit closer. He hit tight end Joel Dreessen on the left side at about the 5. He checked down to the left to running back Andre Hall, evoking a colorful reaction from Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who marveled at "a behind the line throw in seven-on-seven." He hit Jones at about the 5. He zipped a ball to rookie tight end Anthony Hill close to the goal line in the middle of the field. And after a long wait, he found Moats wheeling out of the backfield to the left flat.
So, for a team trying to get better at red zone production, the questions are: Is it good that Orlovsky was able to get the ball to targets, giving them a chance to make plays? Or should he be able to throw and complete at least a couple balls into the end zone in a drill that favors the offense?
I saw the same from Orlovsky in the KC game. He has a bad habit of throwing in front of the 1st down marker. It's early (and Kubiak has had a very short time to work with DanO) but...Orlovsky sort of reminds me of a former Texan QB whose name should not be mentioned in this forum. But like I said, it's early.

No Andre Johnson. They generally don't work him when they are inside on the turf.
A good philosophy. No need to embarrass your guests. :)

I saw the same from Orlovsky in the KC game. He has a bad habit of throwing in front of the 1st down marker. It's early (and Kubiak has had a very short time to work with DanO) but...Orlovsky sort of reminds me of a former Texan QB whose name should not be mentioned in this forum. But like I said, it's early.

I think it might be the other way around.
Sounds like Kubiak wants him to get the ball out of there quickly.

As I've said before, the one thing about DanO that I noticed when he was in Detroit is that sometimes he held on to the ball a bit too long, trying to make a play.

(In one of the game, I remembered the announcer praise DanO's ability to go through the progression pretty well for a young QB.)

As far as the first down marker is concerned, you just need to ask our secondary from Dunta to Reeves, Bennett... how DanO had them on their heels all day last time we played the Lions.
Too bad, Faggins isn't here any longer to answer the charge.

It was a good thing that our front 7 was able to put some pressure on early and never really allowed DanO to get into a rythm; otherwise our secondary would have looked really really bad!

I was late to the open practice and was standing with Gary and his mom most of the time in the back of the endzone so I couldn't see much.

Chris Brown continues to look good running the ball.
Foster is back and also looks good.

JJ took a punt return to the house.

Caldwell was in at Center with the second unit.

Back