Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Training Camp Thread

Three plays stood out for me this morning...

(1) Vonta Leach steamrolling Bennett. That drew a big "OOOOOH!" from the crowd.

(2) The INT by Cushing. Dan O. was trying to hit someone (Davis?) with a 15-yarder over the middle. Cushing step in front of it and made a clean pick.

(3) The only non-catch by A.J. today was on a go route down the right sideline. McCain was with him step for step and nearly picked it off (see HT.com Camp Photos: Day 4, Photo 3 of 16).
That was the ONLY time A.J. was actually covered - by ANYBODY - all day. You guys who were there know what I mean. A.J. had been a beast all day - catching everything that came close.

McCain is someone worth keeping an eye on. He's already getting some time with the 1's...
...Dunta, are you listening?

Another "honorable mention" play was when Slaton got the handoff with the whole line flowing right. He decides to cut back left and ran smack into Mario. This did not end well for Steve. I mean Slaton looked like he had just run into a dump truck. It was almost funny the way he bounced off Mario.

Overall, the intensity seemed down from the practices I attended last year, as I recall. Maybe it's me.

At this early stage, I'd say our RBs will be Slaton, Brown (like it or not), Foster, and Moats. That would give us two small, quick guys and two bigger, "power" guys. J.Johnson is another small, quick guy so he has serious work to do if he's going to leapfrog Moats on the depth chart.

On the whole, the D-line seemed to get the better of the O-line. Several times they would have gotten a sack had these been full contact scrimmages.

Dan O. seems to have more zip on his passes than the other two guys. But maybe that's because Schaub dumped off quite a bit - well, for my tastes anyway.

Those who haven't should go over to HT.com and sign up for tickets to the Saints/Texans open T/C sessions. Those are mid-week sessions Weds/Thurs., 8/19-20.

I'll rep ya when I can, just signed up for both days.

Just a couple questions:
Do they have a list of the players? And would they allow me to take a small notebook to take notes?

Does anyone ride the Metrorail to the practices? Is it the same as gameday?

I'll rep ya when I can, just signed up for both days.

Just a couple questions:
Do they have a list of the players? And would they allow me to take a small notebook to take notes?

Does anyone ride the Metrorail to the practices? Is it the same as gameday?

They handed out a list of players with their numbers and other info at the Sunday practice. You can take notes and pictures - just no video cameras.

Metrorail would be a long walk but I suppose you could. Parking is FREE in the Purple lot, right across from the field next to the bubble where they practice.

Just wondering who else is going on the 19th and 20th. I would love to meet some of you guys (and gals) and talk during the practice.

Just wondering who else is going on the 19th and 20th. I would love to meet some of you guys (and gals) and talk during the practice.

I signed up for tickets.
...now whether I can actually make it depends on how late I have to work.

It is my understanding that you are just allowed to sign up for tickets for only one of the open Saints practice and not the other. Is that true?

It is my understanding that you are just allowed to sign up for tickets for only one of the open Saints practice and not the other. Is that true?

Nah, you can get both, Gary. Initially they had the 20th locked out for some reason, but it's open now.

Is it too late to sign up for the second practice?

I don't think so, go for it Gary. If you can't get one, I can eventually email the ticket to you. I don't think they're numbered at all so they can't track anything.

From The General's blog

Kubiak rips players after morning practice

I've seen Gary Kubiak chew out players on the field. I've seen him jump on them off the field. He does it when he believes they deserve it.

I hadn't seen Kubiak go ballistic about his players until after today's morning practice. He was fuming becaue he considered it a terrible practice. He thought the players were sloppy and that center Chris Myers' injury in which a teammate rolled on his leg could be attributed to sloppy play.

After each practice, Kubiak gathers his players and coaches and other team personnel around him in the middle of the field. He let them have it. Then he did the same when he met with reporters. I imagine this means they'll have a spirited afternoon practice.

Myers wasn't the only player injured. Cornerback Jacques Reeves limped off the field after he went up in the end zone to try to take away the ball from receiver Andre Davis. Reeves had him covered like a rash, but Davis made a spectacular catch. Reeves stayed down for a while and then limped away. He didn't return to practice.

By the way, Davis looked outstanding in practice this mornning. Every time I looked up he was catching the ball, and it didn't matter if it was across the middle, down the sideline or a post route.

Each day, I watch cornerback Antwaun Molden run sprints by himself, and he looks pretty darn good to me. He's on PUP because of the foot injury that required surgery in December. Like Dunta Robinson last season, being on PUP means a player can work out by himself. Molden is running and cutting very well when he's outside on grass or inside on Field Turf. I don't think he'll be on PUP much longer. He looks terrific.

Former Denver coach Mike Shanahan is coming to Houston to watch the Texans on Tuesday. He'll stay a few days and visit with his son, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. They have a tremendous relationship. Kyle is the only one who dares take shots at his father, who was fired by the Broncos after last season.

Asked after practice today why his father is coming to watch the Texans next week, Kyle Shanahan said, "to learn how to coach." Ouch! We'll see how daddy responds on Tuesday.

Secondary coach David Gibbs does a good job working with young defensive backs. He had three rookie starters at cornerback last season with Kansas City. He's ideal for coaching young corners like Glover Quin, Brice McCain and even Fred Bennett, who enters his third season. Gibbs didn't get this job just because he's the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs.

Asked after practice today why his father is coming to watch the Texans next week, Kyle Shanahan said, "to learn how to coach." Ouch! We'll see how daddy responds on Tuesday.

Booya! Can't wait for that response.

I think it's Quinn that has the bad bruise, no? I think Myers and Reeves have ankle issues.

Today's M.A.S.H. report From Chron.com
(Yikes!!)
Texans cornerback Jacques Reeves suffered a fractured fibula in his leg during the morning practice Tuesday and is going to be out for six to eight weeks.

Reeves was covering receiver Andre Davis in the end zone. Davis made a leaping catch and came down with the ball. Both players fell. Reeves didn’t get up.
Reeves won’t require surgery. He was replaced in practice by rookie Brice McCain, the sixth-round pick from Utah.

Glover Quin, the fourth-round pick from New Mexico, would have replaced Reeves, but he’s sidelined because of a bruise on the outside of his knee.
Quin should return to practice soon.

Center Chris Myers suffered a high ankle sprain in the morning practice. He’s going to be out an undetermined time. He’s being replaced by veteran Chris White. Rookie Antoine Caldwell, the third-round pick from Alabama, will continue to back up at center and right guard.
Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, a fourth-round pick from North Carolina State, was on crutches because of a foot injury.

A bit more info from HT.com
Reeves was in a walking boot on his left leg at the afternoon practice. He suffered the injury when he got tangled up covering wide receiver André Davis in the end zone during morning practice.

...shouldn't Reeves be on crutches too?

Last edited:
Did anyone get their tickets emailed for the Saints practice? I signed up for both and got 2 emails telling me I should receive the tickets in an email soon after.

I cant wait to see Casey on the goal line this season. It really sucks that Reeves is hurt now and without Dunta were stuck with Bennett and a rookie. On an optimistic side of it though, Reeves wont miss much of the season, and we may just find a pretty good corner in one of these rookies... See what David Gibbs did with Brandon Flowers in KC last year.

He dropped way too many passes today. Some were even wide open passes! Passes were thrown into heavy traffic were still hauled in by Martinez and #84.

The Jacoby Jones experiment is over.

My thoughts on today's practice...

Camp was great today. I'm seeing new new things from our defense. I saw us lining up in 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2 formations. Cushing would line up at end to cover a TE while Ryans slid over to the outside along with Diles. It was really really interesting seeing it. When that happened... I also thought that I saw Dressen, Hill, and Daniels line up in a 3 TE formation. OD and Hill on one side and Dressen on the other? What's that all about?

Hill looks really thin. I think he needs to bulk up a little bit.

Cushing... I don't know. The man can play football. That I know but I also noticed his intensity would waver at times. I just didn't see the same heart that he put into his weightlifting videos in the past on the field today. He did intercept Orlovsky's (??) pass right at the end of practice so we know Cushing is ALERT on the field. Definitely a severe upgrade from Morlon.

Connor Barwin... oh man! The man is small. 255 lbs but his spin move is devasating. He has so much speed it's silly. I definitely am CERTAIN we will be rushing the passer so much more effectively from now on and Barwin will be a HUGE reason why. The man is F-A-S-T! He has this instinct that can't be taught. Motor chugs!

Camp was fun. I'm headed back to Austin this afternoon to bring home our new dog, Marley. Thanks Andrew6 and Amy!! I'll be back without the family on Wednesday so that'll help my pocketbook. I think I overspent at the reduced merchanise section. Ugh. Me? I just come for football so can't wait for more training camp!!

Anyone know if they have wi-fi at the camp? I was thinking about bringing my laptop and trying to upload pictures and report as the camp goes along.

The Texans in 2009 are going to be something special.
I read not too long ago that team wants him up to 265 & should not hurt his quickness.

Camp was great today. I'm seeing new new things from our defense. I saw us lining up in 3-4, 4-3, and 5-2 formations.

The Cardinals defense did a lot of shifting and multiple looks.

When you watch the Cards' games last season (I saw the playoff games and the Super Bowl mostly, glanced occasionally at the reg season games) you'll have a hard time finding Antonio Smith because they move people around.

I am excited about the defense adding different looks.

For those that need their training camp fix for today.
Chronic Camp Insider Looks like Thor is human afterall.

Camp insider: Texans RB Brown having strong camp
By JOHN McCLAIN, JORDAN GODWIN and ANNA-MEGAN RALEY Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:13PM

Running back Chris Brown is having an outstanding camp. He’s making excellent cutbacks, and he doesn’t stop running until he reaches the end zone. Brown, 6-3, 234, made an tremendous run in the morning practice by cutting back, exploding through the hole, and outrunning free safety Brandon Harrison down the sideline for a 40-yard touchdown. In a two-minute drill, Brown had a 60-yard touchdown run. - JOHN McCLAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROWN AND OUT: Strong safety Nick Ferguson, who played well when paired with free safety Eugene Wilson over the second half of last season, made a terrific play on running back Chris Brown in the morning practice. Brown cut to his right once he broke through the line, but Ferguson was there to greet him hard enough that both went down. - JOHN McCLAIN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUNE STRIPS MOATS: Outside linebacker Cato June, who earned a Super Bowl ring with Indianapolis and played with Tampa Bay last season, made an exceptional play in the morning practice by stripping the ball from running back Ryan Moats. The defense was terrible at taking away the ball last season and must improve in that area if it’s going to improve overall. - JOHN McCLAIN

GOOD HANDS MAN: Two years ago, in his first camp with the Texans, receiver Andre Davis impressed everyone in camp by making just about every catch. Now he’s up to his old tricks. While most people watch Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels, Davis has been putting on a show. He’s made diving catches and leaping catches, and it hasn’t mattered who has been covering him. Unfortunately, his best catch might have been the one in the end zone Tuesday in which he came down with the ball and Jacques Reeves suffered a fractured fibula. - JOHN McCLAIN

OKAM MOVES UP: Second-year defensive tackle Frank Okam got some practice time with the first team Wednesday. Okam played next to Amobi Okoye. If Okam improves, he could help the line immensely. He’s still got a long, long way to go. - JOHN McCLAIN

HILL RETURNS: Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, 6-6, 269, was on crutches Tuesday but was back on the field Wednesday. Hill, who grew up in Houston and played at North Carolina State before the Texans selected him in the fourth round, had been bothered by a hamstring injury. He was on crutches because of a sore foot. In practice, he looked healthy as can be. - JOHN McCLAIN

DADS WATCH PRACTICE, TOO: Defensive backs coach David Gibbs and defensive coordinator Frank Bush aren’t the only people watching safety Eugene Wilson during practice. His father, Eugene Wilson Sr., has been watching his son go up against the Texans’ receivers during several practices. Daddy should be happy because his son has been doing well since camp began. Still, he doesn’t stop critiquing his son’s performance during each of his reps. - ANNA-MEGAN RALEY

CASEY GOES DOWN: The defense continued its abuse of rookie tight end James Casey. Safety Troy Nolan, a seventh-round pick from Arizona State, had a tough hit to prevent Casey from catching a pass over the middle. Casey had been catching everything in sight. Slow to get up, Casey limped away in pain and didn’t return. After practice, Casey revealed a swollen lower calf but had no complaints. - JORDAN GODWIN

BIG DAY FOR BENNETT: In the first practice without injured cornerback Jacques Reeves, Fred Bennett stepped up in a big way as the main cornerback. Bennett batted down balls all over the field and led the secondary in a terrific day of coverage. Working opposite Bennett were rookie corners Brice McCain and Glover Quin. - JORDAN GODWIN

BROWN PERFECT AS ALWAYS: During kicking practice, special teams coach Joe Marciano made an effort to get into kicker Kris Brown’s head. Marciano stood close to Brown and tried to distract him. Marciano tried everything, including taunting. Naturally, it didn’t work. Brown is one of the best clutch kickers in the league, and it’s hard to imagine his coach distracting him. But Brown was perfect from 40 yards out. Later, Brown missed two and wasn’t happy with himself. - JORDAN GODWIN

CALDWELL GETS MORE REPS: With the injured Chris Myers wearing a boot on his left foot, rookie Antoine Caldwell got more reps in practice at center. Chris White played with the first team while Caldwell, the third-round pick from Alabama, continued to back up at center and right guard. Myers’ absence means more reps in practice and more playing time in preseason games. During a break, Myers walked with Caldwell, giving him pointers on blocking. Myers may be out, but he's still making an impact on his team. - JORDAN GODWIN

CUSHING GETS TO SCHAUB: Rookie linebacker Brian Cushing, the first-round pick from USC, broke through the line on a blitz, getting Matt Schaub, who knew he would have been sacked if quarterbacks were allowed to be hit. If Cushing shows that ability to blitz in his first season, he'll be a crucial element to the Texans’ defense overall and pass rush in particular. - JORDAN GODWIN

MOATS STEPS UP: Veteran running back Ryan Moats, who played well near the end of last season as the backup to Steve Slaton, made a spectacular one-handed catch during the morning practice. He’s competing for playing time behind Slaton with veteran Chris Brown and rookies Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson. As much as the Texans threw to Slaton last season, good hands are an asset to the running backs. - JORDAN GODWIN

HILL RETURNS: Rookie tight end Anthony Hill, 6-6, 269, was on crutches Tuesday but was back on the field Wednesday. Hill, who grew up in Houston and played at North Carolina State before the Texans selected him in the fourth round, had been bothered by a hamstring injury. He was on crutches because of a sore foot. In practice, he looked healthy as can be. - JOHN McCLAIN

WTH, going from crutches directly back to the practice field. What's up with this dude?

WTH, going from crutches directly back to the practice field. What's up with this dude?

Oh, to be 24 again. Plus, he's probably aware that there are three other very good tight ends in camp. While he's not in danger of being on the wrong side of the final 53, if he wants to play, he needs to practice.

I'm getting an unsubtantiated impression that he is a TJ, Jr. TJ being someone that I have an unsubstantiated impression of being interested in avoiding two-a-days.

I'm getting an unsubtantiated impression that he is a TJ, Jr. TJ being someone that I have an unsubstantiated impression of being interested in avoiding two-a-days.

I doubt that very seriously. It's not like he is a first rounder with a big guaranteed contract. I don't know if he has any job skills but I doubt he would rather work than play football for a living.

ESPN reports Arian Foster is nicked up with a pulled hammy from this mornings practice. Didn't see anything on this!

Kubiak says that Casey will definitely receive some goal line carries in the preseason:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=NFL&id=5138&line=147157&spln=1

Has anyone seen this during practice?

I've only been to one camp session, but I didn't see Casey take any handoffs.

And I don't know how RotoWorld made the leap from the Kubiak quote they noted into "Casey will be taking goalline carries". Kubes never even mentions Casey. :headhurts:

Coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that fifth-round TE/FB James Casey will receive some goal-line carries in preseason action.
The Texans' goal-line duties are wide open right now. "Steve [Slaton] has to get much better in that area and we've got some guys that can push him," said Kubiak. Chris Brown and Arian Foster are also in the mix, with Brown entering camp as the favorite.

I've only been to one camp session, but I didn't see Casey take any handoffs.

And I don't know how RotoWorld made the leap from the Kubiak quote they noted into "Casey will be taking goalline carries". Kubes never even mentions Casey. :headhurts:

[/COLOR]

It was actually Lil Shanahan that mentioned Casey getting the ball in goaline situations....during preseason.

(on if he thinks TE James Casey get some carries near the goal line during the preseason) "In the exhibition season, definitely. We've got to see what they can do and the only way to see that is throwing them in games. So we're going to give everybody a shot in the preseason and whoever our best guys are in every situation, those will be the guys once week 1 starts."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5418

In the roster prediction thread a while back I stated that Jeramiah Johnson would likely be IR'd due to his shoulder. Well, it seems like that might happen any day now. His shoulder's been popping out.

(on the injury to RB Jeremiah Johnson) "He can't come out and get hit right now. His shoulder pops out. We knew that when we brought him in; we knew what we were dealing with. Since we're in shorts today and tonight, you're going to see him working right now, but he's not ready for contact."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5430

Back