Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Troy Nolan

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Analysis
Positives: Good size. ... Standout player both years of Pac-10 competition. ... Ball hawk at free safety. ... Willing to bait quarterbacks and can make the big play. ... Reads the quarterback's eyes and gets a good break on the ball. ... Better field speed than timed speed in coverage. ... Can time his leaps. ... Good hands for the interception. ... Good agility to avoid blocks and come up to support the run. ... Heavy hitter willing to throw his body into the pile.

Negatives: Has to prove the straight-line speed to be effective as a free safety in the NFL. ... Despite size, ducks his head too often when taking on blocks and can lose track of the ball. ... Overaggressive. ... Can put his defense in a tough position by overrunning the action. ... Takes questionable angles to the ball. ... Medical check on 2006 knee injury.

Translation: Special Teams

Analysis
Positives: Good size. ... Standout player both years of Pac-10 competition. ... Ball hawk at free safety. ... Willing to bait quarterbacks and can make the big play. ... Reads the quarterback's eyes and gets a good break on the ball. ... Better field speed than timed speed in coverage. ... Can time his leaps. ... Good hands for the interception. ... Good agility to avoid blocks and come up to support the run. ... Heavy hitter willing to throw his body into the pile.

This is the part that interest me more, looking for some turnovers hopefully.

Seems like a good value pick in the 7th round and maybe help our special teams immediately as well as the secondary depth...

NFLDraftCountdown.com said:
Strengths:
Very athletic...Adequate height and bulk...Big, soft hands...Great ball skills...Terrific instincts and awareness...Tough and Physical...Will deliver the big hit...Team leader...Made a lot of big plays...Productive.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the timed speed or agility you look for...Is not very strong...Lacks fluid hips...Poor change of direction skills...Plays too high...Is not a great leaper...Overly aggressive at times...Inconsistent.

Notes:
Transfer from College of the Canyons where he won the Junior College National Championship...Redshirted in 2006 after suffering a knee injury...Started every game in 2007 and 2008...Was named 2nd Team All-Pac-10 as a junior and senior...2008 Recipient of the Sun Devils Pat Tillman Valor Award...Good all-around player who can be a factor in coverage and run support...Playmaker and ballhawk who should at least be able to compete for a roster spot as a backup at the next level.
I really like his strengths. I hope he can stick on the team and develop. I've always wanted us to have a ballhawk free safety and it's never happened!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1502411/nfl_2009_draft_james_casey_te_rice.html?cat=14

For me personally Nolan can look like Ed Reed in one instant and then look like he’s lost in space the next. Why would I dare mention Ed Reed? Consider just for a moment that he was the Ed Reed of college football, while Ed Reed is the NFL version of well duh Ed Reed. By this I mean Nolan is a ball hawk with 10 career INTs of which five went for touchdowns. 167 yards for those return yards after he picked the ball off so I know Nolan can set up blockers and get into the end zone ala Ed Reed.

Thing is Nolan is not always consistent with his game. Sometimes he over pursues the play and ends up really costing the team. He is a good tackler, will stick his nose in and make a play on the ball carrier. But his most impressive aspect of his game is his ball hawk ability. He has good size, 6-1 209-pounds, but lacks the real speed you’d like to see out of your free safety. He’s not going to light the track on fire with his 4.61 timed 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, but his game speed is better than his timed speed.

His ball hawk skills were pretty consistent although after a big junior it took him awhile to get going for his senior year. He wound up with seven pass break ups to go with his four picks so it as no fluke. He was a second team All-Pac-10 performer which doesn’t say much to most people, until you consider created by god himself as the perfect athlete and safety (if you believe the hype) USC Trojan Taylor Mays plays in the same conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbInOFqoLc

another nice highlight vid. solid 7th rd pick. playmaker, intangibles, ST'er, physical.

i may be in the minority but i really liked our day 2 picks too

I do too but then again I'm easy to please as a fan. Just beat my posting this highlight video.

25 Career Games: 10 INTs & 5 TDs

I found this photo searching for more info on Nolan...................

tnolan.jpg

I like this one....
ea11x_5796.jpg

Last edited:
i love this pick i hope he lays the wood on ST and gets a chance to play some saftey hes a play maker thats for sure

I like Nolan way more than I liked Barber. Guy can be a real player if we can tweak him a little bit.

Well my knee jerk is simply this: He better be up danged early every morning wahsing Joe Marciano's car, taking out his trash....what we got here is a special teams canidate who needs to find a spot on one of old Joe's teams to have a shot. He's a lose cannon who's been given a shot because he can tackle. And as we saw with Echiemandu....he's one off the reservation play from getting handed his apple and a bus ticket out of town.

Last edited:
I like Nolan way more than I liked Barber. Guy can be a real player if we can tweak him a little bit.

I would rather a guy be a playmaker and get beat from time to time, then make no plays and get beat from time to time. Also, if you start him with Wilson, you have interchangable safties that are center fielders. Beats interchangable line backers at saftey.

Problem with a guy like him is going to be confidence. Coaches are going to tell him he's got a limited shot as a 7th rounder. He's either A) Going to take too many chances and end up burned by the much better NFL receivers and QBs he isn't used to facing or B) Going to be too conservative to keep from making any big errors and lose his biggest asset

He's got a lot of pressure coming in as a 7th rounder. If he had been picked on day 1, he can come in and play his game. As a 7th, he knows he has to work to make thet eam

I have ALWAYS wanted a real ballhawking FS. I hope hope hope he works out

Here’s what College Football News.com had to say about Nolan–

Too slow to be a starter at free safety and too weak to be a strong safety, he only came up with 12 reps on the bench at the Combine, he has to try to find a role somewhere. Despite his lack of raw skills, he makes plays and is purely a football player who gets the job done. He plays more athletic than he is. A good college player, he simply doesn’t have the skills to do much in the NFL if he doesn’t show he can make big plays early on in camp.

Nolan will compete for a roster spot and could be a special teams contributor.

I think we had a great draft. i wanted us to take Barwin & Sidbury but if you had told me before the draft that Cushing,Barwin, Caldwell were going to be the first 3 picks I would have been estatic.

This is a typical Smithiak draft

Rd1 Cushing- A leader who started 4 years on some great USC defenses. (Very Smart)
Rd2 Barwin- My guy, He is a steal in the 2nd rd. Fastest DE in draft. Academic All-American. Ran a 4.47 at his pro day 260 lbs

Rd3 Caldwell- C was the stongest position in this draft and we got one of the best. All-American last year. Smart Graduated in lees than 3 years at Alabama.

Rd4 Glover Quin- 3 year starter, was team captian.

Rd4 Hill- Best blocking TE in draft, was 2nd team all ACC as JR., team leader.

Rd5 Casey- One of the best athletes in draft, will create mismatches for opposing defenses. (went to Rice smart)

Rd6 McCain- 3 year starter, fastest CB in the draft. (Leader)

Rd7 Nolan- Big hitting S, was the leader of ASU secondary helped get secondary lined up properly. A steal, will make the team and has the ability to become a starter in a couple of years. Better than Barber.

Smithiak drafted intelligent team leaders with a passion for football. Just like they do every year. I wanted a RB too but I'm sure Smithiak will pick up one in FA or after cut are made. I like the Foster (who I think will make the team PS and Johnson signings.

He's got a lot of pressure coming in as a 7th rounder. If he had been picked on day 1, he can come in and play his game. As a 7th, he knows he has to work to make the team.

I can't disagree more. He's a 7th round pick. He doesn't have huge expectations placed on him as Day 1 picks do. He isn't expected to make the team. He's a 7th rounder. He should channel that into an excellent work ethic so he can prove everyone wrong. He knows that in TC guys aren't going to respect him. He was the 7th round pick.

This guy has made it through college by being a good football player without having the elite athleticism. If he has the talent, it will come through and if he does make the team and contribute, it will be a great pick.

Again, he has no pressure to perform up to expectations. He is solely a pick that has a large upside if he develops properly.

He is a 7th rounder.

I think we had a great draft. i wanted us to take Barwin & Sidbury but if you had told me before the draft that Cushing,Barwin, Caldwell were going to be the first 3 picks I would have been estatic.

This is a typical Smithiak draft

Rd1 Cushing- A leader who started 4 years on some great USC defenses. (Very Smart)
Rd2 Barwin- My guy, He is a steal in the 2nd rd. Fastest DE in draft. Academic All-American. Ran a 4.47 at his pro day 260 lbs

Rd3 Caldwell- C was the stongest position in this draft and we got one of the best. All-American last year. Smart Graduated in lees than 3 years at Alabama.

Rd4 Glover Quin- 3 year starter, was team captian.

Rd4 Hill- Best blocking TE in draft, was 2nd team all ACC as JR., team leader.

Rd5 Casey- One of the best athletes in draft, will create mismatches for opposing defenses. (went to Rice smart)

Rd6 McCain- 3 year starter, fastest CB in the draft. (Leader)

Rd7 Nolan- Big hitting S, was the leader of ASU secondary helped get secondary lined up properly. A steal, will make the team and has the ability to become a starter in a couple of years. Better than Barber.

Smithiak drafted intelligent team leaders with a passion for football. Just like they do every year. I wanted a RB too but I'm sure Smithiak will pick up one in FA or after cut are made. I like the Foster (who I think will make the team PS and Johnson signings.

I agree with you. I love the draft.

But, the real question is the coaching staff's ability to develop these guys. We know our offensive staff will do a good job. I think a lot of our defensive players development have been thwarted by poor coaching. I'm very hopeful that the addition of Kollar and Son of Gibbs will upgrade the position coaching. Unless Bush has a major stroke before minicamp, he is a clear upgrade over the former DC.

Well my knee jerk is simply this: He better be up danged early every morning wahsing Joe Marciano's car, taking out his trash....what we got here is a special teams canidate who needs to find a spot on one of old Joe's teams to have a shot. He's a lose cannon who's been given a shot because he can tackle. And as we saw with Echiemandu....he's one off the reservation play from getting handed his apple and a bus ticket out of town.

echemandu didnt play ST. thats why he wasnt kept after the fumble. no value. nolan played on the kick & punt teams. he'll make the 53 based on his ST value what ive seen (admittedly only highlights).

on a side note, does brandon harrison play ST?

anyway just rewatching nolans highlights and the most impressive one imo is from 2:25 to 2:35. i dont think we have a safety on the roster that would do anything like what he did in that play.

he shows everything on that play: knowledge & instincts (knowing what the offence are trying to do with their routes & spotting the danger)), quick thinking (leaving his original man in a split second and going to the guy that is in the most dangerous position), playmaking (making the int) & just more great awareness to know hes gonna get tackled at about the 5 if he runs it out so he stops on a dime and sees can he make a big return on the other side. thats not htere either so he does the smart thing and takes the knee.

i suggest everybody watch that play and tell e why this guy doesnt have a legitimate shot at making this team and possibly even starting @ SS. im quite excited about this guy

But, the real question is the coaching staff's ability to develop these guys. We know our offensive staff will do a good job. I think a lot of our defensive players development have been thwarted by poor coaching. I'm very hopeful that the addition of Kollar and Son of Gibbs will upgrade the position coaching. Unless Bush has a major stroke before minicamp, he is a clear upgrade over the former DC.

If the defensive coaches cant coach the defense up to a top 15 type defense this year then it will probably be the end of the Kubes era.

I think they will be able to do it and also develop the young talent as well.

Young guys play better in an attacking type defense and Bush said he wants to play that type of defense. We shall see.

He'll prolly still be better then smith.

With the team having only a limited number of roster spaces, I wonder how and if these late round picks (each year) will fit on the team.

Last year, 6th rounder Barber made the team because he was good at ST's, and he made the most of it. I really hope Nolan is given the same opportunity. Looking at our safeties, we've got: Wilson, Barber, Ferguson and Harrison. Do we add Nolan and carry 5 safeties? I think because of the position he plays and his upside, he's going to make the roster. We either carry 5 or Harrison may get demoted.

With corner, I'm assuming these guys are locks: Robinson (?), Reeves, Bennett and Molden. I think they got Quin in the 4th b/c the like him and I doubt we only carry 4 CB's. I see Quin making the team.

That leaves Brice McCain. Just from 1st thought, which I could be wronge, I assume he's more raw. I can see us stashing him on the practice squad.

Even, G-d forbid that stroke would strike, he'd still function as a clear upgrade over the former DC.:shots:

If his stepping stones to NFL playing time are Barber, Harrison and old man River I'd say he's got as good a shot of starting as....Barber, Harrison and old man River.

Back