Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official TexansTalk NFL 2010 Mock Draft

I think that we would need to address the holes still at FS and DT before we take another RB. I would nominate either D'Anthony Smith or Chancellor

Maybe ... but Chancellor is 6'3 and 230 . Anyways ... to me ... you go with the best player sometimes and not just try to fill holes . That's how Dallas ended up with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice in the 4th . Dixon is compared to Shonn Green who everyone wants now .

D'Anthony Smith is the highest rated guy on my board out of the DT, FS, OC/OG players available.

I've actually got Dezmon Briscoe and Jacoby Ford rated higher, I just don't see the Texans going WR here. I've also got Anthony Dixon around this spot but I think it may be too soon to hit a second running back.

I'd expect:

D'Anthony Smith, DT
A.J Edds, OLB -- Do we need a SAM?
Robert Johnson, FS

Give me Owens

People say the Texans need to stop the run and need a DT that commands double teams. If you want this Owens is the guy. Owens is the strongest player in this draft. (44 reps at combine) He only weighs 305 right now (about the same as Okoye) but should be able to easily put on 15lbs as his body matures.

Owens did the dirty work at Georga. While Atkins got the accolades.

Owens at worst will be a good rotational DT as a rookie and possibly a starter after a good offseason in year 2.

Choice no.2 Robert Johnson

Johnson is a playmaking FS. He has good speed and is very instinctive. Johnson also has great hands for a DB. I would trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 4th to trade up to get Johnson.

Value in this draft is in the 4th rd. IMHO

Adding Owens and Johnson would not only fill needs but add high character players with big upsides. IMHO

Give me Owens

People say the Texans need to stop the run and need a DT that commands double teams. If you want this Owens is the guy. Owens is the strongest player in this draft. (44 reps at combine) He only weighs 305 right now (about the same as Okoye) but should be able to easily put on 15lbs as his body matures.

Owens at worst will be a good rotational DT as a rookie and possibly a starter after a good offseason in year 2.

Johnson is a playmaking FS. He has good speed and is very instinctive. Johnson also has great hands for a DB. I would trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 4th to trade up to get Johnson.

Adding Owens and Johnson would not only fill needs but add high character players with big upsides. IMHO

You've convinced me on Owens.

Give me Owens

What you said is exactly what badboy, beerlover and I saw while we were making our second mock. We were trying to find a run stuffing DT that is still the size of the Texans DTs. Owens was my guy from the beginning there. And the other 2 agreed immediately, that was one of the picks that we all agreed on, with no reservations.

My first choice would be Robert Johnson-FS from Utah and second choice would be D'Anthony Smith-DT from La. Tech., Smith is a little bigger and had better production last year. Also Owens had a knee injury in 2008 that slowed him down in the 2009 season.

I vote Robert Johnson-FS, he's a playmaker in the secondary that we need badly.

My first choice would be Robert Johnson-FS from Utah and second choice would be D'Anthony Smith-DT from La. Tech., Smith is a little bigger and had better production last year. Also Owens had a knee injury in 2008 that slowed him down in the 2009 season.

I second Robert Johnson, we need a FS next to Pollard.

Robert Johnson is legit, and I trust badboy's view of him. He says that he could be had with our fifth round pick.

I am not buying D'Anthony Smith. He played at La. Tech, so not a lot of competition. And physically, Owens is a much superior prospect. Stronger, faster, and more agile. And I think he has a better handle on the game, Smith still looks so raw in his technique.

The knee injury is worrisome, but he would not be available without that injury. At the start of next season he should be at full strength.

I second Robert Johnson, we need a FS next to Pollard.

In the real draft I would trade back into the 4th rd. and take Johnson.

Both are great players. But the Texans need to draft 2 DT's in this draft.

One to replace Z-Man and one to replace Okam's lazy butt.

You start doing this by drafting Owens.

Wilson is going to be the starter at FS next year. They need to draft somebody to groom to replace Wilson. Johnson may be available in the 5th rd. If he's not Smithiak could draft a big CB like Nolan Carroll or Brian Jackson and let him learn under Wilson for a year or 2.

If Wilson gets hurt next year htey could move Quin to FS and start (according to this mock) Wilson and Reeves at CB. While the rookies learn. (Regardless of whether Johnson or any other FS candidate is drafted in the 4/5th rd)

Owens has a high upside and will contribute more quickly than any of the FS draftees at this point in the draft. IMHO

The Houston Texans Select: Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia

medium_jeff_owens.jpg

The Patriots probably should have picked by now.

I would suggest a TE, perhaps Anthony McCoy, USC

Great pick

I cant believe McCoy is still on the board.

He can replace Watson and give Brady another weapon.

McCoy has the type of speed to split the seam deep down the middle of the field. McCoy is also a good blocker according to Carroll.

Think Whitten or Gates

By my calculation the last pick was made 17 hours ago, which would have been around 6 or so PM CST. That means that officially, the clock would have run out on that pick at Midnight, CST. Since that is in the night, the next team's spot started at 8am (I think) CST this morning. We are almost at 1PM CST, so that would mean their time slot finishes at 1PM CST before the next team can go.

So, a recap:
NE (TexansSeminole) is over and can pick at any time.
Cinci (JB) is on the clock and can pick at any time.
Iggles (Shaft75) is on the clock at 2PM CST( a little over an hour from now at worst)
Packers (The Pencil Neck) is on the clock at 8PM CST at latest
Cardinals (awtysst) is on the clock tomorrow morning.

By my calculation the last pick was made 17 hours ago, which would have been around 6 or so PM CST. That means that officially, the clock would have run out on that pick at Midnight, CST. Since that is in the night, the next team's spot started at 8am (I think) CST this morning. We are almost at 1PM CST, so that would mean their time slot finishes at 1PM CST before the next team can go.

So, a recap:
NE (TexansSeminole) is over and can pick at any time.
Cinci (JB) is on the clock and can pick at any time.
Iggles (Shaft75) is on the clock at 2PM CST( a little over an hour from now at worst)
Packers (The Pencil Neck) is on the clock at 8PM CST at latest
Cardinals (awtysst) is on the clock tomorrow morning.

If Cinci is on the clock, the pick is:

Austen Lane, Murray State
A Division 1-AA AP All-America first-teamer, Austen Lane had 19.5 TFL and 11 sacks in his senior year.

The Bengals saw what it was like to lose their top pass rusher against us last year. This draft they get a bit of depth and a prospect with a lot of upside.

If Cinci is on the clock, the pick is:

Austen Lane, Murray State
A Division 1-AA AP All-America first-teamer, Austen Lane had 19.5 TFL and 11 sacks in his senior year.

The Bengals saw what it was like to lose their top pass rusher against us last year. This draft they get a bit of depth and a prospect with a lot of upside.

78) Carolina Panthers - Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

No.

1. We need a consensus on the Pats.
2. The Bengal's pick was invalid. The player was taken with the 78th pick.

I thought that we had agreed that while the consensus discussion was going on, other teams could go ahead and pick. Since we were trying to make this similar to the real draft.

So in that scenario, the group is discussing the Pats pick. While that happened the Bengals made a pick that was already taken so the pick came back. Bengals are still on the clock making a pick while the group discusses the Pats missed pick. That's the fair way to do it IMO and the only way to keep it moving and a decent clip.

Plus, the time ran out and the Iggles have been on the clock since 2pm CST.

Last edited:
Cmon man, this is the Official 2010 Texans Talk NFL Mock Draft! Sacrifices HAVE to be made!!!

Ok then how about:

AJ Edds, LB- Iowa

This will upgrade the SLB spot. Walter says perhaps he is the top pure SLB in this draft.

Ok then how about:

AJ Edds, LB- Iowa

This will upgrade the SLB spot. Walter says perhaps he is the top pure SLB in this draft.

I think you are good there. Nice job.

The Iggles are on the clock (and technically have been since 2PM CST).

All joking aside, I am glad the real NFL draft is not like this! We'd have the Vikings miss their picks and 4 other teams would have to get together and make the picks for Minne!

All joking aside, I am glad the real NFL draft is not like this! We'd have the Vikings miss their picks and 4 other teams would have to get together and make the picks for Minne!

The thing is, this isn't the real NFL draft. :)

This is just some guys getting together and trying to put together a mock. If we were getting paid for this, then I think we'd all be a little bit more motivated to getting on here and making sure our ducks were in a row.

This isn't even like a Fantasy league draft where we all find a time to all be together so we can knock this thing out in one big bank. I mean, we can't even get enough people involved in the thread on the weekend to get a consensus.

Without that motivation to be here and do it, it doesn't make sense to me to have guys going ahead and picking out of order. I was under the impression we were going to do the consensus thing and continue once that was done.

Let's go ahead and make McCoy the pick for the Pats.

The thing is, this isn't the real NFL draft. :)

This is just some guys getting together and trying to put together a mock. If we were getting paid for this, then I think we'd all be a little bit more motivated to getting on here and making sure our ducks were in a row.

This isn't even like a Fantasy league draft where we all find a time to all be together so we can knock this thing out in one big bank. I mean, we can't even get enough people involved in the thread on the weekend to get a consensus.

Without that motivation to be here and do it, it doesn't make sense to me to have guys going ahead and picking out of order. I was under the impression we were going to do the consensus thing and continue once that was done.

Let's go ahead and make McCoy the pick for the Pats.
I guess I come at this from a different perspective than you.

I just finished a first round mock with Beerlover. In that mock the two of us worked together to build the best first round mock we could. We shared out big boards and then meticulously went through and made picks. We wrestled over picks, discussed them, and came up with a consensus between the two of us.

In my mind, this is not what is happening here. People are assigned a team or two and make the picks for that team. The purpose is to do the best job you can FOR YOUR team. In my case I am the Bills and Cardinals GM. So I am trying to make the best possible picks for those two teams. I am not trying to help anyone else out, since my focus is on MY teams.

In my mind the purpose is to see how various people evaluate talent and give us a fun exercise to do beyond a solo or small group mock. I signed up for what I have described. If the intention was to make this a more collaborative consensus mock, then I misunderstood the purpose and honestly would not have signed up to do it.

See, I see this like I do the Historical Figures Draft or the Bad Ass Character Draft. Build the best team you can and then compare notes afterwards.

I guess I come at this from a different perspective than you.

I just finished a first round mock with Beerlover. In that mock the two of us worked together to build the best first round mock we could. We shared out big boards and then meticulously went through and made picks. We wrestled over picks, discussed them, and came up with a consensus between the two of us.

In my mind, this is not what is happening here. People are assigned a team or two and make the picks for that team. The purpose is to do the best job you can FOR YOUR team. In my case I am the Bills and Cardinals GM. So I am trying to make the best possible picks for those two teams. I am not trying to help anyone else out, since my focus is on MY teams.

In my mind the purpose is to see how various people evaluate talent and give us a fun exercise to do beyond a solo or small group mock. I signed up for what I have described. If the intention was to make this a more collaborative consensus mock, then I misunderstood the purpose and honestly would not have signed up to do it.

See, I see this like I do the Historical Figures Draft or the Bad Ass Character Draft. Build the best team you can and then compare notes afterwards.

I don't think we disagree on what this is supposed to be. I think we disagree on what we require from people time-wise to get it done.

This is NOT supposed to be a consensus mock. But we can't expect everyone to always be on the MB every day and we can't expect everyone to check this thread every hour or so. This is a very casual setting.

To me, that means we're better served waiting until the people who are up get their pick rather than forcing something down their throats. And it makes more sense to me to have people wait to make their picks until everyone ahead of them have made theirs.

To me, the "perfect" situation would be to block out an afternoon, get 32 guys, each with one team that they've researched, and then knock the whole 7 rounds out with everyone getting a few minutes to make each pick. Bam, bam, bam, and it's over.

I don't think we disagree on what this is supposed to be. I think we disagree on what we require from people time-wise to get it done.

This is NOT supposed to be a consensus mock. But we can't expect everyone to always be on the MB every day and we can't expect everyone to check this thread every hour or so. This is a very casual setting.

To me, that means we're better served waiting until the people who are up get their pick rather than forcing something down their throats. And it makes more sense to me to have people wait to make their picks until everyone ahead of them have made theirs.

To me, the "perfect" situation would be to block out an afternoon, get 32 guys, each with one team that they've researched, and then knock the whole 7 rounds out with everyone getting a few minutes to make each pick. Bam, bam, bam, and it's over.

Ok, I hear you, but during the week people work. Sometimes people cannot make picks and the draft lingers. It also seems(I might be wrong) but more leeway is given on weekends than on weekdays. On weekdays it seems that people are given less leeway and if a pick is not forthcoming the consensus is done much quicker. In contrast, (last weekend I think) was a good example of how a team was given basically 24+ hours to make a pick and even then it did not occur.

I think IF this is done again VERY specific rules need to be in place. The more people have to wait, the less interested they become. We had a whole group of fired up people at the beginning but then lost several becuase it was taking too long. This HAS to get done ASAP becuase people begin to lose interest after awhile.

To be honest, I am teetering on the losing interest precipice myself. I committed to 2 teams for 4 rounds, so I will do it, but I am becoming frustrated with the length of time its taking. I am the Draft Guru and LOVE draft stuff, but the slowness of this process has really sucked the life out of it for me.

Sorry to dump, but I wanted to respond and let you know my thoughts on the situation.

Ok, I hear you, but during the week people work. Sometimes people cannot make picks and the draft lingers. It also seems(I might be wrong) but more leeway is given on weekends than on weekdays. On weekdays it seems that people are given less leeway and if a pick is not forthcoming the consensus is done much quicker. In contrast, (last weekend I think) was a good example of how a team was given basically 24+ hours to make a pick and even then it did not occur.

I think IF this is done again VERY specific rules need to be in place. The more people have to wait, the less interested they become. We had a whole group of fired up people at the beginning but then lost several becuase it was taking too long. This HAS to get done ASAP becuase people begin to lose interest after awhile.

To be honest, I am teetering on the losing interest precipice myself. I committed to 2 teams for 4 rounds, so I will do it, but I am becoming frustrated with the length of time its taking. I am the Draft Guru and LOVE draft stuff, but the slowness of this process has really sucked the life out of it for me.

Sorry to dump, but I wanted to respond and let you know my thoughts on the situation.

Surprisingly, I think fewer people log in during the weekends.

Personally, I'm looking at this mock as like Chess By Mail or something. I check the thread whenever there's something new on it but I'm not expecting it to move quickly. I wish it WAS moving quicker but with a fairly open sign-up policy like we had, we're going to get some people involved who aren't as motivated as others.

I like the idea I had put in my post where we treat it like a Fantasy Football draft. Get some guys and have them research their teams and then show up at a particular time and knock a full one out. That would be fun. There would be more intensity when someone drafts your guy and you've got to scramble for a second option.

Surprisingly, I think fewer people log in during the weekends.

Personally, I'm looking at this mock as like Chess By Mail or something. I check the thread whenever there's something new on it but I'm not expecting it to move quickly. I wish it WAS moving quicker but with a fairly open sign-up policy like we had, we're going to get some people involved who aren't as motivated as others.

I like the idea I had put in my post where we treat it like a Fantasy Football draft. Get some guys and have them research their teams and then show up at a particular time and knock a full one out. That would be fun. There would be more intensity when someone drafts your guy and you've got to scramble for a second option.

Maybe its a generational thing. I would hate to play chess by mail. I do not have the patience for that kind of thing. I guess becuase the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Drafts moved pretty quickly, I was expecting this one to move fast as well.
Oh well.

But yeah, your idea of having a blocked out time and doing it in one afternoon would be awesome!

Pats select Anthony McCoy, TE, USC

Picks have been updated here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70325

121) Philadelphia Eagles - Shaft75

122) Green Bay Packers - The Pencil Neck

123) Arizona Cardinals (Via/BAL) - awtysst

124) New York Jets (Via/ARI) - The Pencil Neck

125) Dallas Cowboys - Honoring Earl 34

126) San Diego Chargers - Shaft75

You guys know I took TE Aaron Hernandez from Florida in the second round for the Pats.

If your going to consensus pick, at least look at what the team has already done.

Either way, I don't really care. Just thought I would drop that bit of info in here. Sorry I wasn't here to make the pick but I have been working my life away for the past week.

To awt, a mock draft like this is always going to take a long time and is always going to have picks run out of time. People have stuff going on and sometimes they either forget or just get busy. People will always lose interest, it's just the nature of doing something that takes several weeks.

I like the idea of a consensus pick, having a team pick because the other team ran out of time kills the fun that is the mock. It becomes unrealistic. But if you are going to do a consensus pick, look at what the teams have already accomplished in the draft. The Pats have alot of needs, picking another TE would not be very wise IMO. They have needs along the defensive and offensive line.

Final Denver Broncos Draft:

1.) Joe Haden, CB
2.) Brandon LaFell, WR
3.) Matt Tennant, C
4.) Montario Hardesty, RB

Final Pittsburgh Steelers Draft:

1.) Murkice Pouncey, C
2.) Brandon Ghee, CB
3.) Alex Carrington, DE/OLB
4.) Mike Neal, DT

You guys know I took TE Aaron Hernandez from Florida in the second round for the Pats.

If your going to consensus pick, at least look at what the team has already done.

Either way, I don't really care. Just thought I would drop that bit of info in here. Sorry I wasn't here to make the pick but I have been working my life away for the past week.

To awt, a mock draft like this is always going to take a long time and is always going to have picks run out of time. People have stuff going on and sometimes they either forget or just get busy. People will always lose interest, it's just the nature of doing something that takes several weeks.

I like the idea of a consensus pick, having a team pick because the other team ran out of time kills the fun that is the mock. It becomes unrealistic. But if you are going to do a consensus pick, look at what the teams have already accomplished in the draft. The Pats have alot of needs, picking another TE would not be very wise IMO. They have needs along the defensive and offensive line.

Sorry I suggested the TE. I was in a hurry when I threw the name out and didn't check to see what you had already picked.

Looks like the Skins 2nd round pick went to Philly in the McNabb trade. So in our draft the Eagles get Golden Tate.

Back