Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official TexansTalk NFL 2010 Mock Draft

You guys know I took TE Aaron Hernandez from Florida in the second round for the Pats.

If your going to consensus pick, at least look at what the team has already done.

Either way, I don't really care. Just thought I would drop that bit of info in here. Sorry I wasn't here to make the pick but I have been working my life away for the past week.

To awt, a mock draft like this is always going to take a long time and is always going to have picks run out of time. People have stuff going on and sometimes they either forget or just get busy. People will always lose interest, it's just the nature of doing something that takes several weeks.

I like the idea of a consensus pick, having a team pick because the other team ran out of time kills the fun that is the mock. It becomes unrealistic. But if you are going to do a consensus pick, look at what the teams have already accomplished in the draft. The Pats have alot of needs, picking another TE would not be very wise IMO. They have needs along the defensive and offensive line.

To my recollection the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Character Drafts did not linger and there were no missed picks. We went 10 rounds and gave each person ample time to make the pick, but each pick was made in the precise time. I did notice that people lost enthusiasm as the mock but we were able to keep it going at a nice clip.

Sure, I know people have stuff going on, but plan ahead and get your picks into the two main guys. Plus, if you are going to participate you should check twice daily(once in the morning and once in the night) just to see where you may be and how far it may be to your pick.

To my recollection the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Character Drafts did not linger and there were no missed picks. We went 10 rounds and gave each person ample time to make the pick, but each pick was made in the precise time. I did notice that people lost enthusiasm as the mock but we were able to keep it going at a nice clip.

Sure, I know people have stuff going on, but plan ahead and get your picks into the two main guys. Plus, if you are going to participate you should check twice daily(once in the morning and once in the night) just to see where you may be and how far it may be to your pick.

Rep. +1

I don't disagree with you but people are going to miss picks regardless. Last year alot of people missed picks and if I recall correctly people were taking teams from others to continue on to go all 7 rounds. I think we stopped after round 3 and continued on in a different thread.

It's only April 4th though. We could probably go all 7 rounds before the draft starts if enough people actually wanted to do it, there is plenty of time.

I don't think we disagree on what this is supposed to be. I think we disagree on what we require from people time-wise to get it done.

This is NOT supposed to be a consensus mock. But we can't expect everyone to always be on the MB every day and we can't expect everyone to check this thread every hour or so. This is a very casual setting.

To me, that means we're better served waiting until the people who are up get their pick rather than forcing something down their throats. And it makes more sense to me to have people wait to make their picks until everyone ahead of them have made theirs.

To me, the "perfect" situation would be to block out an afternoon, get 32 guys, each with one team that they've researched, and then knock the whole 7 rounds out with everyone getting a few minutes to make each pick. Bam, bam, bam, and it's over.

If we could get 16 guys to take 2 teams each and have them dedicate to this over a 3-4 day period we could do a 7 rd mock. I would be up for this.

The afternoon thing sounds good too.

The key is knowing whenyou're going to be up and PM your pick ahead. Wolf 6151 PM'ed me with a list of his picks. He was out and I made his pick. The draft rolled along without all of the down time.

The Eagles select Rodrick Muckelroy, OLB, Texas.

Final Eagles Draft:
Round 1 - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
Round 2 - Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Round 3(a) - John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
Round 3(b) - Sean Lee, LB, Penn State
Round 4 - Roddrick Muckelroy, LB, Texas

Final Eagles Draft:

I don't know the last two guys but those first three picks are SOLID.

Final Eagles Draft:

Solid linebackers in round 3 and 4, Lee was a solid player at PSU and Muckelroy was a consistent linebacker and one of the leaders on the Longhorns defense.

Good Job! :clap:

The Green Bay Packers need a strong safety. According to my board, that means that with the 122nd pick, the Packers take:

nebraska_asante2009_01.jpg

Larry Asante, SS, Nebraska

The Packers Draft:

1. Bruce Campbell, OT - Possibility of a bust but needed and possibly great fit for a ZBS.

2. Dominique Franks, CB - Their corners are getting old.

3. Mitch Petrus, OG - Their line needs strengthening. Bad. Their LG is coming off of back surgery.

4. Larry Asante, SS - A strong tackler and surprisingly good in coverage despite his lack of speed.

The Arizona Cardinals take an overlooked young man. He had lots of sacks as a sophomore but had his total drop off his junior year. He is the kind of guy that has 2nd round talent but did not produce last year. His value in the NFL will be as a situational 3-4 pass rusher and he will do this job admirably.

We projected him to be a late 2nd-mid third round pick so we are ecstatic to get him here at the bottom of the 4th. Without further ado allow us to present to you our 4th round pick:

Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech!

jason-worilds.jpg

The Packers Draft:

1. Bruce Campbell, OT - Possibility of a bust but needed and possibly great fit for a ZBS.

2. Dominique Franks, CB - Their corners are getting old.

3. Mitch Petrus, OG - Their line needs strengthening. Bad. Their LG is coming off of back surgery.

4. Larry Asante, SS - A strong tackler and surprisingly good in coverage despite his lack of speed.

Good pick. I like Asante in the 4th.

The Arizona Cardinals take an overlooked young man. He had lots of sacks as a sophomore but had his total drop off his junior year. He is the kind of guy that has 2nd round talent but did not produce last year. His value in the NFL will be as a situational 3-4 pass rusher and he will do this job admirably.

We projected him to be a late 2nd-mid third round pick so we are ecstatic to get him here at the bottom of the 4th. Without further ado allow us to present to you our 4th round pick:

Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech!

jason-worilds.jpg

I'm really shocked this guy fell this far. I had him rated MUCH higher than this.

My two teams

Buffalo Bills
1. Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
2. Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
3. Koa Misi, DE/OLB, Utah
4. Myron Rolle, S, Florida State University

Arizona Cardinals
1.Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
2. Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
3a Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian
3b Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
4. Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech

I'm really shocked this guy fell this far. I had him rated MUCH higher than this.

Yeah me too. I had to double check the forum list and was stunned he was still there. I had him as a late 2nd/mid 3rd. To get him in the end of the 4th is a STEAL!
Now you see why I was anxious to make my pick. I wanted to select him before someone else could steal him from me!

The Jet's fans I talked to said that even with Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery, their biggest need was a WR.

I didn't really follow their advice on drafting that position early. So now, with the 124th pick, the Jets draft:

JACOBYFORD_200X267_91109.JPG

Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson

The Jets are done. Their draft went:

1. Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
2. Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
4. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson

Not having a 3rd round pick really sucked. This is a bad year not to have a third or two.

My two teams

Buffalo Bills

Arizona Cardinals
1.Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU

I am very pleased with these draft picks.
The Bills switch to a 3-4 with a prototypical NT, get an awesome CB, a fantastic OLB, and a very good safety. Based on this draft, the Bills got 3 immediate starters and 1 solid rotational player.

The Cardinals switch to the 3-4 and get and excellent 3-4 OLB, a prottypical NT, a fantastic OT and C to boost the Oline, and a value OLB. Based on this draft the Cardinals got 3 immediate starters, 1 mid season starter, and 1 solid rotational player.

Both teams got great value and became immediately better
Im gonna applaud my own effort!!!.:clap:

My two teams

Buffalo Bills

Arizona Cardinals
1.Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU

Good draft for the Cards. I know little about McCourty and Misi but Williams and Myron Rolle are good additions.

If I were to have picked for the Patriots it would have been G Sergio Render, Virginia Tech.

Last picks of the draft.

125) Dallas Cowboys - Honoring Earl 34 - On the clock 7amMonday

126) San Diego Chargers - Shaft75

127) Seattle Seahawks (Via/PHI) (VIA/NYJ) - steelbtexan

128) Minnesota Vikings - rmartin65

129) Indianapolis Colts - Ole Miss Texan

130) New Orleans Saints - Texan In Japan

131) Cincinnati Bengals - JB

As faux GM for the Lions and 49ers here is how they fared

Lions
1st Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2nd Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois
3rd Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
4th Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford

49ers
1st Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa
1st Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
2nd Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
3rd Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
4th Reshad Jones, SS, Georgia

As faux GM for the Lions and 49ers here is how they fared

Lions
1st Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2nd Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois
3rd Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
4th Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford

49ers
1st Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa
1st Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
2nd Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
3rd Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
4th Reshad Jones, SS, Georgia

I love those drafts. I guess I just love the idea of setting the core of the offensive line for 10 years, in 1 draft.

This is what I was saying in a thread a couple of weeks ago. This is a deep draft. The more picks you've got in the 2nd through 4th, the better.

126) San Diego Chargers - Shaft75

127) Seattle Seahawks (Via/PHI) (VIA/NYJ) - steelbtexan

Funny how things change, 2 weeks ago I was calling Pouncey a stretch at #18 and now am pulling for him at #20....

Then again there is a big difference between 18th pick and 20th!! :hides:

Draft is very fluid. I was a big advocate of Pouncey or Iupati a couple of months ago. People shouted me down saying that you don't take a OG or OC that high and it would be a wasteful pick. Now, all of a sudden a lot of people (not specifically pointing to you) are thinking one or both may be gone when we pick and are hoping they fall to 20.

Sometimes its hard to be The Draft Guru, as I need to wait around for people to come to my point of view!

Draft is very fluid. I was a big advocate of Pouncey or Iupati a couple of months ago. People shouted me down saying that you don't take a OG or OC that high and it would be a wasteful pick. Now, all of a sudden a lot of people (not specifically pointing to you) are thinking one or both may be gone when we pick and are hoping they fall to 20.

Sometimes its hard to be The Draft Guru, as I need to wait around for people to come to my point of view!

I'm still anti-Iupati in the first, however credit for being on the Pouncey bandwagon before it left the station.

The Minnesota Vikings select Fordham QB John Skelton

The Vikings need a QB for the future. Favre can't play forever, despite his effort, and Rosenfels is a stop gap answer at best. Tavaris jackson has proven he is not a starter.

Skelton is a big, cannon armed QB with a gunslinger mentality. Think a 6'6" Favre. Skelton will most likely be the starter for the 2011 season.

2454001.jpeg

Last 3 picks of our draft.

The Minnesota Vikings select Fordham QB John Skelton

The Vikings need a QB for the future. Favre can't play forever, despite his effort, and Rosenfels is a stop gap answer at best. Tavaris jackson has proven he is not a starter.

Skelton is a big, cannon armed QB with a gunslinger mentality. Think a 6'6" Favre. Skelton will most likely be the starter for the 2011 season.
2454001.jpeg

Wow! The bolded just floored me! I thought the dude had a lot more holes in his game than that. Had him figured for a 6th at best.

Wow! The bolded just floored me! I thought the dide had a lot more holes in his game than that. Had him figured for a 6th at best.

I was considering him in the 3rd, but thought it was just too early. I am really surprised he made it this long. He has huge upside, and if he takes full advantage of NFL coaching, I dont feel bad making that prediction in the slightest.

I was considering him in the 3rd, but thought it was just too early. I am really surprised he made it this long. He has huge upside, and if he takes full advantage of NFL coaching, I dont feel bad making that prediction in the slightest.

That's cool. If we all saw it the same, we wouldn't want to discuss it.

By the way, I was not disagreeing with the pick, just I thought the statement that he would be the starter in 2011 wa a bit bold.

side note.... I like him a lot better now that I know his uncle is a limited partner of the Houston Texans!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1267818?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Yeah I considered him for the last pick with Buffalo or Arizona but there was too much value in my picks. He has comparisons to Flacco which I think are a little unfair. If he is motivated and becomes a sponge, he can be a solid backup/spot starter at worst.

The Colts select George Selvie, DE from South Florida. Explosive DE that doesn't have pressure of needing to player early in his career. Fits the mold that Indy looks for in the position and can learn pass rush moves from one of the best.

george-selvie.jpg

The Colts select George Selvie, DE from South Florida. Explosive DE that doesn't have pressure of needing to player early in his career. Fits the mold that Indy looks for in the position and can learn pass rush moves from one of the best.

george-selvie.jpg

I had him 2nd on my board behind Price.

Great pick

Tampa Bay GM Mock Draft
Rd.1 Eric Berry
Rd.2 Carlos Dunlop
Rd.2 Regis Benn
Rd.3 Lamarr Houston
Rd.4 Jason Fox

Seattle GM Mock Draft
Rd.1 Sam Bradford
Rd.1 Trent Williams
Rd.2 Morgan Burnett
Rd.4 Joe McKnight
Rd.4 Taylor Price

If the draft fell this way for both of these teams (which it wont) both of them should be estatic.

Doing this mock helps everybody realize how deep this draft is.

Good job by all

Time to explain my thinking on the Kansas City draft.
First off, this is a bad football team and one draft is not going to put them onto the playoffs.
Drafting at 5, the idea is to get someone that is the best at his position.
I went in thinking that Berry or Okung would be there for me, but when the Rams didn't draft a QB, that didn't happen. So why not take Bulaga? Why take the second best at his position at 5 when you can get the best player at another position. Also, the last hot shot tackle that came out of Iowa is named Gallery. That worked out well for Oakland.

So I restudied the Chiefs again and stopped reading when I saw they were 31 again the run.
Changing to a 3-4, I formed a plan to imporve the run defense with the best players against the run I could find up the middle of the defense.
I selected McClean because he is the top ILB in this draft, a run stopper, and a leader that will give the Chiefs an idenity on Defense. I got some heat for piccking him "too high", but we are not trading in this draft and he would never fall to the second round. If you want a guy, you take him when you get the chance.

The Gresham pick at 2 was easy. The best TE in the draft and a need position.
Now it gets harder. I thought a NG would fall to me with the second round 2 pick, but the two best ones went before my pick. I was plaining to take Ducasse or Veldheer as my OT in the 3rd, but with the NT I wanted gone, I took Ducasse in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, again I missed out on the NT, but I had my eye on Jones anyway as he is a very good run defender at S.
The 4th round pick in McCluster should have never have been there for me. He becomes the starting slot receiver and KR right away and could very well become what D. Jackson is for the Eagles.

I believe the Chiefs have 3 picks in the 5 round so I could get a NT there along with other needs like a pass rushing OLB and another OL player, but we are not going that far.

So that was my plan for the Chiefs. I am happy with this draft as I got two playmakers on Off, a young O lineman, and two run stoppers on Def.

Back