Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

***Official Predictions/Eat Crow thread***

The Texans will win this game. I see 2 teams on a pendulum going in opposite directions. The Texans already hit rock bottom and are now starting to swing back up. Meanwhile the Eagles had a good deal of success the last few years. But I see them slipping again this year. The conference championship games will be out of reach for them for the next few years anyway. They will still win 6-8 games this year, but no more. They didn't seem to dominate anybody last year, even when they won. I feel this is our best chance at a win in our first 4 games. The Texans will shock people in December, but we'll take our lumps the first few games-except for this one. :redtowel:

Texans 13
Eagles 3

jdog said:
Texans 70
Eagles 03

Our second team takes over at the half.

ESPN declares it the year of the mighty Texans and spends the following week playing Texans highlights from the game and discussing their favorite Texans players and plays.

Reggie Bush writes "Wish I was a Texan" on his golden cleats with a Sharpie during a press conference.

Peyton Manning spends 24 hours a day watching Texans film for the next week because he is worried and trying to avoid those scary Mario is coming to get me nightmares that make him wake up in a cold sweat screaming audibles.
I like what you're drinking.

Texans 56
Eagles 0

texansfanquecaneh said:
The Texans will win this game. I see 2 teams on a pendulum going in opposite directions. The Texans already hit rock bottom and are now starting to swing back up. Meanwhile the Eagles had a good deal of success the last few years. But I see them slipping again this year. The conference championship games will be out of reach for them for the next few years anyway. They will still win 6-8 games this year, but no more. They didn't seem to dominate anybody last year, even when they won. I feel this is our best chance at a win in our first 4 games. The Texans will shock people in December, but we'll take our lumps the first few games-except for this one. :redtowel:

Texans 13
Eagles 3

Yeah, you are a Canuck and :pigfly:

chuckm said:
So let me get this straight ...... you don't like Carr, think he's a failure as an NFL QB, and don't think he'll ever amount to anything ....

I wasn't sure after reading your last 50 posts ....

Chuck, it is true I have been beating a dead horse lately. I will try and find a new soapbox...who knows, maybe Carr looks like the second coming of Unitas come Sunday and I am forced to eat copious amounts of crow...I sure hope so but I wouldnt hold your breath..

OT that is one cute child as your avatar, hes a darling.

doug ftw

flylikeaneagle said:
Yeah, you are a Canuck and :pigfly:

I've followed football since the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V against the Cowboys. The era of team dynasties is over. Your window of opportunity is gone. You had your chance against the Patriots 2 years ago and you lost-get over it. Peyton Manning's window of opportunity is shrinking now. The Colts are still a force but TIME moves on. No team in any sport will be a powerhouse forever.
Yes, I'm Canadian and I'll cheer for my team-the Texans. We can cheer for whoever we want up here, I've met fans of every team except Jacksonville, Cincinnati and Philadelphia. The Flyers have fans up here but not the Eagles. Strange, especially considering that the other NFC East teams have lots of support.

texansfanquecaneh said:

Texans 13
Eagles 3

Yeah, because Donovan McNabb isn't just hitting his prime or anything. We didn't just acquire a very young and promising receiver in Stallworth, we don't have another young promising receiver in Reggie Brown... we didn't just retool both offensive and defensive lines and improved them dramatically, we are so obviously on the decline! We don't have awesome special teams or a kicker that is second only to Vinatieri in this league. Puhleeese... Don't be such a homer that you're blind to the fact that your team, while improved, is going to lose this Sunday. The Texans are just overmatched in just about every category and it will show on the field.

That's my belief, now there's always the cliche "Any given Sunday" and that's true as well, so none of us really knows. I just take issue with your "assessment" of the Eagles. They are far from on the downside.

Eagles: 24
Texans 14 - That's being generous.

texansfanquecaneh said:

Texans 13
Eagles 3

:yawn:

Remember this:

The Eagles have the best QB in the NFC, and a top 3-4 guy (depending on if you like Palmer better) in the NFL.

We also have the best combination of OL&DL in the NFL. We still have a secondary that features a HOF safety, and 2 pro-bowlers. The 4th guy, Sheldon Brown, is a top 10 CB in the NFL.

This is also our best set of skill players we've had, excluding 2004. And even then, our RB and TE situation is better then in 04.

You look at what actual coaches around the NFC say (not stupid ESPN hacks) and ALL of the coaches say the same thing: Philly is the best team in the NFCE, which in turn is the best division in the NFL.

We were winning NFCE titles and going to the NFCCG with James Thrash as our Z reciever, and Todd Pinkston at X with no Westbrook, no LJ Smith, and no Correll Buckhalter.

In addition to all of that, we have a brighter future then almost any team in the NFL. We have had 2 drafts back to back that most people considerto be the best in the NFL. We have all but 2 starters (M. Lewis, Stallworth) signed long term. We also have replacements for nearly ever old player already on our roster.

You can talk about last year as a down year all you want. But any rational thought would quickly conclude that losing 3 of your top 6 Olineman, an all-pro QB, both starting WRs, a pro-bowl RB, an all-pro CB, a starting DE, and numerous backups would quickly sink any tea - be they the 85 bears or the unbeaten Dolphins.

No sir, we suffered a terrible misfortune of injury, but that does not extend to this year. I'd put only 2 teams in the NFC ahead of us: The Panthers and the Seahawks.

This is a game that the Eagles will dominate. It's also a year in which the Eagles will be a force, as they have been since the year 2000.

texansfanquecaneh said:
I've followed football since the Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V against the Cowboys. The era of team dynasties is over. Your window of opportunity is gone. You had your chance against the Patriots 2 years ago and you lost-get over it. Peyton Manning's window of opportunity is shrinking now. The Colts are still a force but TIME moves on. No team in any sport will be a powerhouse forever.
Yes, I'm Canadian and I'll cheer for my team-the Texans. We can cheer for whoever we want up here, I've met fans of every team except Jacksonville, Cincinnati and Philadelphia. The Flyers have fans up here but not the Eagles. Strange, especially considering that the other NFC East teams have lots of support.

This whole "window is shut" is COMPLETE BS.

just look at our lineup, player, age, signed through:

QB - McNabb - 30 - 2010
RB - Westbrook - 27 - 2010
FB - Tapeh - 25 - 2008
WR - Brown - 24 - 2009
WR - Stallworth 25 - year
TE - Smith - 25 - 2007
RT - Runyan - 33 - 2008
RG - Andrews - 23 - 2015
OC - Jackson - 25 - 2013
LG - Herremans - 23 - 2008
LT - Thomas - 32 - 2008

DE - Kearse - 30 - 2009
DT -Patterson - 23 - 2009
DT - Bunkley - 22 - 2011
DE - Howard - 30 - 2011
LB - Jones - 28 - 2008
LB - Trotter - 29 - 2009
LB - McCoy - 22 - 2009
CB - Brown - 26 - 2012
CB - Sheppard - 24 - 2011
SS - Lewis - 25 - 2006
FS - Dawkins - 33 - 2008

Now, look at that list. Nearly every player we have is signed long term. Not only thatm but the team is actually very young.

McNabb has at least 3 good years left, and he's the only guy that can single handidly bring us down.

We already have replacements on our roster for the following old players (with replacement next to name)

RT - Runyan (either Andrews or Herremans takes his spot, with Jean-Gilles at OG)
LT - Thomas (Winston Justice)
DE - Howard/Kearse (Cole - we need one more DE in the draft in the next 2 years)
LB - Jones (Gocong)

That leaves the Eagles with Dawkins to replace within 2 years (clearly a biggy), Trotter iwithin 2 years, one DE within 2 or 3 years, and that's really it.

This of course doesn't even mention the many very talented young players that don't start that I haven't mentioned, like Rayburn, Moats, Considine, Avant, Young, Baskett, Ramsey, etc.

Now, add to that the fact that the Eagles will most likely have the most cap room in the NFL next season, and it's pretty stupid to say our window has shut.

The Eagles are built for the long haul under Heckert, Reid, and Banner. We NEVER sacrifice the future. Ever. That's how the Eagles have been so good over the years. We sign all o our young players long term, and we have the single best cap manager in the NFL, which means we are ALWAYS in the top 5 in cap space.

We have VERY few weaknesses. The vast majority of the team is signed long term. Most older players already have replacements. We have the cap room to sign any player we want. And we draft better then all but a handfull of teams in the NFL.

This team will be a playoff team untill Reid and Banner leave.

predictions are futile, lets just strap it on & see who is the best team this coming Sunday. I'll take no shame if the Texans fall short the Eagles have to still be considered an elite NFC team, the thing we hope the Texans have the edge at is home field advanatage, don't forget the all important cheerleaders too and this Denver style offense. Last I checked in 05 the Eagles lost to the Broncos 49-21 :whip:

Been on this board during the week and feel it is only fair if I give a prediction.

First off for Eagles fans - Andy Reid doesn't have a lot of 1st game success over his tenure. Each time it is something different but it I can't rule out a close game.

I am not sure that Houston has enough of their offense in yet to make sufficient adjustment to take advantage of weakness they will find in the Eagles defense.

Also - and yes it is a prediction - I see the Eagles scoring on their first offensive drive. Hey they have a history of coming out strong, then going mush in the second quarter and coming back to life at the end of the 3rd and looking strong in the 4th.

Eagles - 23
Texans - 10

Eagles - 34
Texans - 30

David Carr has a bad first half, but the Texans will make adjustments and make it close. Mcnabb will score a touchdown at the end to pull out the win.

Texans 13
Eagles 7

I don't think either offense will find much success in the passing game.

Chad Stanley gets the game ball.

Eagles 31

Texans 12

What sucks...is that the line has jumped from 3.5 2 weeks ago (when I bet it) up to 6 as of last night.

I hate 6...bad number

PhillyFan said:
Eagles 31

Texans 12

What sucks...is that the line has jumped from 3.5 2 weeks ago (when I bet it) up to 6 as of last night.

I hate 6...bad number

Love that East Coast money pushing that number up. I would be surprised if it does not settle to 5.5 though.

Last I checked in 05 the Eagles lost to the Broncos 49-21

This would be relevant if the Eagles were playing the 2005 Broncos. But they aren't.

Other things that have no real bearing on this game:

- Andy Reid's record in season opening games. It's not good, but the two wins he does have were BIG wins.

- The teams' respective records last year. Last year is over.

Things that do have a bearing on the game:

- The talent levels of the two teams. And Texans fans, I hate to break it to you, but the Eagles are definitely ahead here.

Eagles have clear edge at QB, OL, DL, and the secondary.

I'd give the Eagles a slight advantage at RB, and yes, we all know that Westbrook is injury prone. But that has no bearing on this game.

LB seems about even.

The only position where the Texans appear to have an edge is WR, and even that, based on last year's numbers is not huge.

Kubiak may turn out to be a good coach. He comes from a successful team in Denver. However, the edge in coaching has to go to the Eagles, as their coaches have won division titles and been to a Super Bowl, plus the team should be more familiar with all the schemes.

With all that taken into account, I see a final score of:

Eagles 27, Texans 13

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
:yawn:

Remember this:

The Eagles have the best QB in the NFC, and a top 3-4 guy (depending on if you like Palmer better) in the NFL.

We also have the best combination of OL&DL in the NFL. We still have a secondary that features a HOF safety, and 2 pro-bowlers. The 4th guy, Sheldon Brown, is a top 10 CB in the NFL.

This is also our best set of skill players we've had, excluding 2004. And even then, our RB and TE situation is better then in 04.

You look at what actual coaches around the NFC say (not stupid ESPN hacks) and ALL of the coaches say the same thing: Philly is the best team in the NFCE, which in turn is the best division in the NFL.

We were winning NFCE titles and going to the NFCCG with James Thrash as our Z reciever, and Todd Pinkston at X with no Westbrook, no LJ Smith, and no Correll Buckhalter.

In addition to all of that, we have a brighter future then almost any team in the NFL. We have had 2 drafts back to back that most people considerto be the best in the NFL. We have all but 2 starters (M. Lewis, Stallworth) signed long term. We also have replacements for nearly ever old player already on our roster.

You can talk about last year as a down year all you want. But any rational thought would quickly conclude that losing 3 of your top 6 Olineman, an all-pro QB, both starting WRs, a pro-bowl RB, an all-pro CB, a starting DE, and numerous backups would quickly sink any tea - be they the 85 bears or the unbeaten Dolphins.

No sir, we suffered a terrible misfortune of injury, but that does not extend to this year. I'd put only 2 teams in the NFC ahead of us: The Panthers and the Seahawks.

This is a game that the Eagles will dominate. It's also a year in which the Eagles will be a force, as they have been since the year 2000.

The NFC East is not the best. It is maybe the most competitive. All four teams in the division seem fairly equal, but I have not heard anyone claiming the Eagles are the best in the division. I hear people say the Eagles will surprise which is completely different.

jdog said:
The NFC East is not the best. It is maybe the most competitive. All four teams in the division seem fairly equal, but I have not heard anyone claiming the Eagles are the best in the division. I hear people say the Eagles will surprise which is completely different.

I ahve been hearing a lot from people picking the Eagles to re-claim the NFC East and are the best. They are not equal to any of those teams. I guess we will get a better picture on the 17th when we play the Giants but the Giants defense looks pretty weak. The Redskins will suck. The Cowboys are over-rated on Offense but their D looks good.

flylikeaneagle said:
I ahve been hearing a lot from people picking the Eagles to re-claim the NFC East and are the best. They are not equal to any of those teams. I guess we will get a better picture on the 17th when we play the Giants but the Giants defense looks pretty weak. The Redskins will suck. The Cowboys are over-rated on Offense but their D looks good.

I don't know how highly rated the "experts" have the Cowboys O...but It looked darn good to me this pre-season minus T.O....

xtruroyaltyx said:
I don't know how highly rated the "experts" have the Cowboys O...but It looked darn good to me this pre-season minus T.O....

Their old and they will break down. People think that just because they have Owens that they will be unstoppable but Owens did play for the Niners and they were stoppable. That offense will crumble.... just wait and see.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:homer: Texans 16 Eagles 13

Carr sacked three times ... while Mcnabb gets sacked four times and fumbles one his own 20yd line .

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOMER and a DREAMER for sure.

jdog said:

In the last 2 weeks, I have seen the Eagles go from being the bastard stepchild of the NFC East, to several analysts picking them to be the NFC Champion come January.

This...after all offseason of having us at 20-23 in their power rankings, and picking us to finish dead last in the NFC East.

flylikeaneagle said:
Their old and they will break down. People think that just because they have Owens that they will be unstoppable but Owens did play for the Niners and they were stoppable. That offense will crumble.... just wait and see.

The Eagles have stopped Owens every time they have played against him.

JJ has his number.

PhillyFan said:
In the last 2 weeks, I have seen the Eagles go from being the bastard stepchild of the NFC East, to several analysts picking them to be the NFC Champion come January.

This...after all offseason of having us at 20-23 in their power rankings, and picking us to finish dead last in the NFC East.

Why wouldn't they? They go by last years records during the offseason. They're too stupid and lazy to actually do some research to validate thier rankings. Good luck come Sunday. It's going to be a tough one for us.:)

HOU-TEX said:
Why wouldn't they? They go by last years records during the offseason. They're too stupid and lazy to actually do some research to validate thier rankings. Good luck come Sunday. It's going to be a tough one for us.:)

Think of Sunday as a stepping stone no matter what happens.

The biggest advantage that we have is , we 've changed so much its hard to prepair for . Carr may come out running the option ... there is no film on the new Texans except for pre-season ( who tips their hand in pre-season ).

flylikeaneagle said:
Think of Sunday as a stepping stone no matter what happens.

We'll see. If we aren't hitting on all cylinders, it might look scary. I think we'll get there eventually.I just hope it doesn't take forever for our team to get it going.

Might increase my prediction with the Eagles winning by a wider gap. The more I think about the Eagles D, the more I think it will be a win by more that 15 points.

Texans 20
Eagles 17

I think you will see a lot of defensive battles in this game and a lot of 3 and outs by both offenses. In the end I think it could go either way, but I'm picking the good guys to come out strong with a win for Coach K.

flylikeaneagle said:
It does not have to run consecutively. They will be back there this year.

Yeah, I was kinda sarcastically pointing out that we have recently seen one of the better dynasty teams in NFL history...

Maybe a better response would have been something Junglesque (as in Jim Rome)...
texansfanquecaneh said:
...The era of team dynasties is over...
michaelm said:
"...signed, the New England Patriots"

U4ikrob said:
Texans 20
Eagles 17

I think you will see a lot of defensive battles in this game and a lot of 3 and outs by both offenses. In the end I think it could go either way, but I'm picking the good guys to come out strong with a win for Coach K.

Good guys? We are the good guys, you guys are the bad guys. LOL! :shades:

A healthy McNabb = high scoring offense in this game.

jdog said:

Both the Redskins and Giants head coaches have said we were the team to beat.

Thats because unlike half twit fans, they have a clue. They understand that WRs don't win football games - QB and line play does, and the Eagles CLEARLY are among the strongest teams in the NFL at all 3 areas.

PhillyFan said:
The Eagles have stopped Owens every time they have played against him.

JJ has his number.

It's not just Owens - JJ simply shuts down elite WRs. I mean, Randy Moss does NOTHING against us too.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
Both the Redskins and Giants head coaches have said we were the team to beat.

Thats because unlike half twit fans, they have a clue. They understand that WRs don't win football games - QB and line play does, and the Eagles CLEARLY are among the strongest teams in the NFL at all 3 areas.
You missing the meaning of the statement . They meant that if they had a homecoming game ... they would schedule Philly cause your the team they're going to beat .

This like Bush saying no new taxes . When in fact he meant know new taxes .

Unlike you, coaches, and other non half wits, I am not sure what wins football games other than points, but I do know what will not win football games. CLEARLY, it is the Eagles.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
You missing the meaning of the statement . They meant that if they had a homecoming game ... they would schedule Philly cause your the team they're going to beat .

This like Bush saying no new taxes . When in fact he meant know new taxes .

:ok:

1 injury riddled season after 5 straight playoff births, 4 NFCCGs, and 1 SB, and suddenly everyone WANTS to play the Eagles and their all-pro QB and dominating defense...

Sure buddy - whatever will get you to sunday.

Back