Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Broncos, Sunday Nov 4, 2018!!

I dunno. BB has done more with less, year in and year out, because he can fit his scheme to match just about every player's skillset. Name a single OL for the Pats. Look at the price the G-Men paid for Solder. The G-Men have one of the worst OLs in the league.

Trent Brown (Who should be a Texan BTW.) Sorry JB.

Shaq Mason/David Andrews

And here I thought it was because O'Brien promised them ice cream with sprinkles if they won
:D

sprinkles-are-for-t6ys3r.jpg

In one paragraph you explain how it's not on OB, then the rest of your post you tell us how we need to use the RBs in the pass game and use the TEs more. Well, that IS on him. He's the OC.

I said "many of the struggles," not all. And I don't know if the lack of TE involvement is completely on O'Brien. Is the problem there with the players? Is it Watson? Is it the TE coaches? We don't know enough yet to attribute fault.

I said "many of the struggles," not all. And I don't know if the lack of TE involvement is completely on O'Brien. Is the problem there with the players? Is it Watson? Is it the TE coaches? We don't know enough yet to attribute fault.

They're having to keep the TE's in to block because of the lack of talent on the OL. This hurts the TE's abilities to be involved in the passing game.

They're having to keep the TE's in to block because of the lack of talent on the OL. This hurts the TE's abilities to be involved in the passing game.

You're correct, but that philosophy is backwards. Keeping everyone in to block is a passive approach and stifles the offense. Watson holds the ball forever because his first read is halfway down the field before making his break. O'Brien has no idea what route COMBINATION is, I swear he should have Rex Grossman at QB (cover 2? sideline or bomb, cover 3? sideline or bomb, man? fk it I'm going deep). Chip with a tightend and then leak him into the QB's line of sight (not a short out to the sideline). Congest the middle with those TE's and hit the HB in the flat or vise versa by widening the zones for your TE to sit in. Every play doesn't have to be a homerun, we move the ball infinitely better when we're able to mix up the short game - freeing up run lanes and frustrating rushers by getting the ball out quick. Max protect is fine for play-action homerun shots, and 5 wide is fine for a few up-tempo calls ... but that isn't an offense. Beat the rush with open targets, not turtle.

You're correct, but that philosophy is backwards. Keeping everyone in to block is a passive approach and stifles the offense. Watson holds the ball forever because his first read is halfway down the field before making his break. O'Brien has no idea what route COMBINATION is, I swear he should have Rex Grossman at QB (cover 2? sideline or bomb, cover 3? sideline or bomb, man? fk it I'm going deep). Chip with a tightend and then leak him into the QB's line of sight (not a short out to the sideline). Congest the middle with those TE's and hit the HB in the flat or vise versa by widening the zones for your TE to sit in. Every play doesn't have to be a homerun, we move the ball infinitely better when we're able to mix up the short game - freeing up run lanes and frustrating rushers by getting the ball out quick. Max protect is fine for play-action homerun shots, and 5 wide is fine for a few up-tempo calls ... but that isn't an offense. Beat the rush with open targets, not turtle.

The OT's are so bad they have to pick and choose when they do what you're speaking of. I agree with mixing up the short game and think they need to start incorporating more of this into the offense after the bye.

The OT's are so bad they have to pick and choose when they do what you're speaking of. I agree with mixing up the short game and think they need to start incorporating more of this into the offense after the bye.

BTW, how was your trip?

The Texans are a mediocre team with a very advantageous schedule. They have a few players that are top notch, luckily for us one of them is the QB.

I know I'm harsh on the Texans, but they just aren't as good as their record. They could easily be a very threatening and dangerous team with a decent o-line, and hopefully that gets taken care of this off season. (As if we haven't already said that a thousand frigging times.) With a decent o-line even OB's horseshit would work just fine.

In 1972 in the regular season, the Miami Dolphins only played two games against teams with winning records and those records were only 8-6. And even then, a couple of their games against those not-so-good teams were still 1 score games. They beat the 4-9-1 Bills by a single point, 24-23.

At the time, a lot of people were saying, "Hey, they had an easy schedule. No way this team wins in the playoffs."

And we know how that turned out.

If the Texans continue to gut out games and make the playoffs, anything can happen. It's not the best team that wins the Super Bowl every year, or even gets to the Super Bowl, it's the team that guts it out and gets the lucky breaks.

Or cheats.

Or something.

Dolphins also had 10 wins the previous two seasons (in a 14 game schedule) and an established Don Shula at head coach.

Reactions: JB
In 1972 in the regular season, the Miami Dolphins only played two games against teams with winning records and those records were only 8-6. And even then, a couple of their games against those not-so-good teams were still 1 score games. They beat the 4-9-1 Bills by a single point, 24-23.

At the time, a lot of people were saying, "Hey, they had an easy schedule. No way this team wins in the playoffs."

And we know how that turned out.

If the Texans continue to gut out games and make the playoffs, anything can happen. It's not the best team that wins the Super Bowl every year, or even gets to the Super Bowl, it's the team that guts it out and gets the lucky breaks.

Or cheats.

Or something.

Difference is, that '72 Dolphins team had the #1 offense in both yards and scoring, AND the #1 defense in both yards and scoring. They had 3 shutouts, gave up 20 points or more just 3 times, including playoffs, and beat opponents by an average score of 27.5 to 12.2. And that wasn't with a high powered passing attack. That was running the ball 354 times more than they threw it.

Even if it was an "easy" schedule, they dominated it. Sure they had some close games with some mediocre teams, but it is the NFL and it ain't easy winning every single game. The Texans are winning games on their "easy" schedule, but they are far from dominating.

There were also 6 fewer teams playing 2 fewer games. Only 12 teams with winning records then as opposed to 17 last year.

You wanna tell me that if the 2011 Giants, who gave up more points than they scored that season, can win a SB then why not the Texans, I'm with you. But don't compare them to '72 Dolphins. That team was one of the greats.

I just don't see this years Texans making it deep into the playoffs. Not all the pieces are in place yet, and OB still hasn't shown me he's got his head out of his ass.

Of course just talking about them being in the playoffs is a hell of a lot more than we would have thought a month ago.

I just don't see this years Texans making it deep into the playoffs. Not all the pieces are in place yet, and OB still hasn't shown me he's got his head out of his ass.

Of course just talking about them being in the playoffs is a hell of a lot more than we would have thought a month ago.

I'm on the fence, my enthusiasm is attempting to return in spite of continued frustration with the head coach and offensive coordinator. It's most likely we get O'Briened out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion, but it's also when defense wins. If we can get healthy at the right time, pieces are falling into place. Our DB's are showing great chemistry with Matthieu, Reed, Kareem and Joseph all playing really well. Cunningham and McKinney go hot and cold, but could be solid. Interior line isn't strong, but of course there's Watt, Clowney and Mercilus who can each wreck a game. And finally it helps to have someone who's been there (repeatedly) calling the shots with Romeo.

It will be up to Watson and Hopkins to score just enough to keep us alive since we have no coach or run game, but if nobody gets hurt until then (hmmm), it's possible we could compete in the playoffs ... maybe.

Most encouraging thing is this sackless jabroni pieceashit coach finally using his ******* tight ends.

upload_2018-11-6_18-56-46.png

This early in the game, I do not agree going for it,

Actually would have taken the points right there lol.

Missed PAT is the play of the game.
Kick the FG there or call a play that has a chance to succeed. Stupid ass play call. I kick it there.

And Frank Reich and Nathan Peterman and of course Bill O'Brien putting on coaching clinics!
Don't forget the Ginger in Dallas.

We need TE's more involved
Absolutely, see screen shot above...

Difference is, that '72 Dolphins team had the #1 offense in both yards and scoring, AND the #1 defense in both yards and scoring. They had 3 shutouts, gave up 20 points or more just 3 times, including playoffs, and beat opponents by an average score of 27.5 to 12.2. And that wasn't with a high powered passing attack. That was running the ball 354 times more than they threw it.

Even if it was an "easy" schedule, they dominated it. Sure they had some close games with some mediocre teams, but it is the NFL and it ain't easy winning every single game. The Texans are winning games on their "easy" schedule, but they are far from dominating.

There were also 6 fewer teams playing 2 fewer games. Only 12 teams with winning records then as opposed to 17 last year.

You wanna tell me that if the 2011 Giants, who gave up more points than they scored that season, can win a SB then why not the Texans, I'm with you. But don't compare them to '72 Dolphins. That team was one of the greats.

That's actually a pet peeve of mine. "Don't compare this to that..." That's just BS and it's totally missing the point. I'm not saying this team IS the Dolphins or that they're going to play like the Dolphins. To suggest that is just intellectually dishonest. It's a straw man counter argument.

The point is that at the time, people had doubts about the Dolphins because of their schedule, there were doubts about their toughness and whether they were going to be able to handle "real" teams once they got to the playoffs. They had gotten crushed 24-3 by the Cowboys in the previous SB. They had Earl Morral at QB for most of the season. And of course, there were questions about Shula in "the big game" because at that point, he'd lost the two Super Bowls he'd coached in.

IF this team makes the playoffs, we're going to be facing some of the same doubts when it comes to the weakness of our schedule and the "quality" of our wins. So there is something there to compare but that's as far as the comparison is meant to go. Whether this team will be able to perform once it gets there and whether it's going to fold when it faces teams like the Chiefs, the Patriots, and the Steelers, that's a totally different thing. I don't believe our defense can handle a QB that is accurate and smart. The only hope we have of winning those games is to win shootouts because I don't think our defense is going to slow Brady, Roethlisberger, or Mahomes down when push comes to shove.

That's actually a pet peeve of mine. "Don't compare this to that..." That's just BS and it's totally missing the point. I'm not saying this team IS the Dolphins or that they're going to play like the Dolphins. To suggest that is just intellectually dishonest. It's a straw man counter argument.

The point is that at the time, people had doubts about the Dolphins because of their schedule, there were doubts about their toughness and whether they were going to be able to handle "real" teams once they got to the playoffs. They had gotten crushed 24-3 by the Cowboys in the previous SB. They had Earl Morral at QB for most of the season. And of course, there were questions about Shula in "the big game" because at that point, he'd lost the two Super Bowls he'd coached in.

IF this team makes the playoffs, we're going to be facing some of the same doubts when it comes to the weakness of our schedule and the "quality" of our wins. So there is something there to compare but that's as far as the comparison is meant to go. Whether this team will be able to perform once it gets there and whether it's going to fold when it faces teams like the Chiefs, the Patriots, and the Steelers, that's a totally different thing. I don't believe our defense can handle a QB that is accurate and smart. The only hope we have of winning those games is to win shootouts because I don't think our defense is going to slow Brady, Roethlisberger, or Mahomes down when push comes to shove.

Again though, that team was actually a great team, and was the defending AFC champions. This one is not. I can't speak to the naysayers back then, and since I was just a wee lad, will have to take your word that there were, but I would have told those naysayers then that that '72 team was in the SB the year before, so their doubts were likely unwarranted. That team went a span of 4 years losing just 9 games.

The Texans have doubters because they've never been past the 2nd round, and the way they're playing and winning these games. At least 3 have been the result of luck or a bad coaching decision by the opponent or both. And check OB's record against teams with a winning record. The second they play somebody worth a damn, they get exposed for what they are. That was not the case with the Dolphins, so anyone with those kinds of doubts about them were just idiots. Doubts about the Dolphins in that '71 season, I could see that maybe, but not after 10-4, 10-3-1 making it to the SB, then going 14-0 the next year. It's not the same no matter what the Dolphins schedule was in '72.

I get the point you're trying to make. It's just a bad comparison.

Exactly ... get the point, bad comparison. Anyone back then focused on the Dolphins' schedule frankly has their opinion invalidated on general principle.

"Don't compare this to that" is a peeve of mine as well, because like this people use a great to boost or rationalize a lesser - making a total mess of reality. I'm still waiting on David Carr to be the next Aikman or Manning because their stats over the first couple years matched up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Back