Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2012 Training Camp Thread

Watching NFL Network... they were covering the Chargers live... When talking about the current Chargers administration, Michael Lombardi referenced Bob McNair's decision to keep Kubiak, saying "sometimes continuity --as opposed to starting over-- is better"...

this concludes our Texans coverage for Today, though it was done during a Chargers segment. Stay tuned for the preseason where we may or may not replay those contests...

Is this anyone from TT?

33414ea0d8bd11e1a3b222000a1e8c9e_7.jpg

Was it really too hot at 9 am to practice outside? I have never seen that happen. Why don't the Texans want to have evening practices? Yes, it's still hot (it's Houston), but the sun is down.

I think the plan is that they are slowly acclimating the players into being in the heat longer. I don't think they will continue that the entirety of camp.

Personally, I think it felt hotter during some of the days of OTAs and minicamps. But they are doing less drills and having faster tempo I think in training camp so far.

I think the plan is that they are slowly acclimating the players into being in the heat longer. I don't think they will continue that the entirety of camp.

Personally, I think it felt hotter during some of the days of OTAs and minicamps. But they are doing less drills and having faster tempo I think in training camp so far.

Factor in that it's a lot hotter and drier than it has been in recent years so it's good to hear they are slowly doing that. I was concerned about that because I'm outside in the open sunlight a lot. Temp-wise it may not be that much hotter but the dryness just accelerates it into something crazy these past 2-3 years.

Factor in that it's a lot hotter and drier than it has been in recent years so it's good to hear they are slowly doing that. I was concerned about that because I'm outside in the open sunlight a lot. Temp-wise it may not be that much hotter but the dryness just accelerates it into something crazy these past 2-3 years.

I'm not sure what they did in training camp last year, but the weather was absolutely brutal last year with the stretch of 100 degree days we had in a row. I can't ever remember a summer that was as hot as it was then. This summer should feel like spring weather compared to that, but we also have a longer training camp so I don't mind them easing guys into the flow.

I'm not sure what they did in training camp last year, but the weather was absolutely brutal last year with the stretch of 100 degree days we had in a row. I can't ever remember a summer that was as hot as it was then. This summer should feel like spring weather compared to that, but we also have a longer training camp so I don't mind them easing guys into the flow.

The dryness is still here. Today at 100 feels a lot hotter than it really is. On top of the sunlight, the air is hot and dry. Lethal combination.

The dryness is still here. Today at 100 feels a lot hotter than it really is. On top of the sunlight, the air is hot and dry. Lethal combination.

Well I know the Houston humidity is the biggest thing that most people have trouble getting used to. Traveling back and forth from Houston to Dallas is like being in 2 totally different worlds sometimes. Dallas doesn't have near as much humidity so it doesn't cause as much discomfort. It just feels like the sun is right on top of you sometimes. The humidity of Houston just makes you sweat just walking from your car to the grocery store sometimes. It gets ridiculous especially after a night of rainfall.

I do poorly in the heat. I get migraines in the sun. I drink about 36-48 ounces of water during camp, and I've learned that I usually won't get a headache if I do that.

Later in the morning OTAs/minicamps were tougher than the last two days. But I wasn't running around.

They've always experimented some with timing/sun in camp. They feel that doing camp at home gives them the benefit of NFL style equipment and vets being in their own bed and not burning out. But Houston heat will always be a challenge because it can break guys down--Kubiak noted that shortest camp last year was first winning year, and learning from that.

They've always experimented some with timing/sun in camp. They feel that doing camp at home gives them the benefit of NFL style equipment and vets being in their own bed and not burning out. But Houston heat will always be a challenge because it can break guys down--Kubiak noted that shortest camp last year was first winning year, and learning from that.
I think the winning year had more to do with who was coaching the defense than the length of camp.

Have the Texans given up on the idea of evening practices? I don't get it? They'll play 4 night games this season...zero games at 8-9 in the morning.

I think the winning year had more to do with who was coaching the defense than the length of camp.

Have the Texans given up on the idea of evening practices? I don't get it? They'll play 4 night games this season...zero games at 8-9 in the morning.

Yea but they were that good not spending much time in the sun .

True, but the point is that the heat exhaustion will interfere with mental concentration. You want to balance conditioning with learning.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
The #Texans have signed former Iowa DE Mitch King (6-2, 280). He's on the field wearing No. 97

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
May be biased but Fangupo is a load. His destruction of the 3rd team O will warrant more snaps.

Fangupo with no hands walks Wallace into the backfield. Stops the play with penetration. #Texans

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
Ninja telling Tate quit bouncing outside and come to where the big boys play. #Texans

Watt and Smith bringing something this morning. #Texans

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
Forsett is serious. Very patient

Kubiaks telling Forsett Hell of a job. Bright spot for the O. #Texans

Forsett is a natural in this offense. Nice run once again. #Texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Coaches love RB Jonathan Grimes, an undrafted FA from Bill an Mary. Fits this downhill running style.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
The #Texans have signed former Iowa DE Mitch King (6-2, 280). He's on the field wearing No. 97

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
May be biased but Fangupo is a load. His destruction of the 3rd team O will warrant more snaps.

Fangupo with no hands walks Wallace into the backfield. Stops the play with penetration. #Texans

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
Ninja telling Tate quit bouncing outside and come to where the big boys play. #Texans

Watt and Smith bringing something this morning. #Texans

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6

Coaches love RB Jonathan Grimes, an undrafted FA from Bill an Mary. Fits this downhill running style.

Good news. Any news on the WR front.

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
Kicking happening now. Graham has much better leg strength than Bullock. #Texans

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Kubiak say Sharpton had a setback. Hip issue. Needs rest. Will be out few wks but not excluded for season.

Texans set an attendance record of 5,715 today, breaking the record of 5,012 set Saturday, the first day of practice.

Wow, I haven't been around as long as McClain but what's he saying here?

Best I understand, zone blocking (which we run) is cut back lanes and man blocking is downhill running.

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6

Thank you for posting this ^^^^.

That's very encouraging to learn Forsett is already doing things right at this early stage.

Gonna be fun watching Grimes and Forsett battle it out in camp and in preseason.

(on RB Justin Forsett making plays in practice) “It was impressive. I told the team. You guys see it. What a pro. He comes out here, he can go all day. Very impressive in his work habits, knows what we’re doing. Those are the kind of guys you’re looking for to make you better. He let everybody on this team know today he plans on being here. That was an impressive practice.”

Kubiak's actual quote about Forsett today. I'm very encouraged about this. I said when we signed him that he had potential to fit very well in this offense. More talented Moats and Moats showed at times he could be pretty good in this scheme. Add in Forsett's value as a kickoff returner and we possibly may have struck gold. You can never have too may weapons!

P.D. Starr ‏@PHABMK6
Kicking happening now. Graham has much better leg strength than Bullock. #Texans
When did Shayne Graham acquire this leg strength? He's 7 for 14 in 50+ yard FGs over 11 seasons, and hasn't attempted a 50 yarder since 2007.

Wow, I haven't been around as long as McClain but what's he saying here?

Best I understand, zone blocking (which we run) is cut back lanes and man blocking is downhill running.

downhill running: not Reggie Bush dancing around. Make one cut then get up field.

Yikes, I got tickets for Wednesday hoping to avoid the crowds.

Ok, what time do I need to be there and line up to get a seat in the stands?

I'm taking off work and bringing my daughter on Wednesday. I'm thinking we're going to try to get there at about 6:00. The lots open at 4, so that may still be too late. Anyone know about bringing in water? Like can I bring in a small igloo?

I'm taking off work and bringing my daughter on Wednesday. I'm thinking we're going to try to get there at about 6:00. The lots open at 4, so that may still be too late. Anyone know about bringing in water? Like can I bring in a small igloo?

Each person can bring in one water bottle.

I'll tell ya, this heat is something else. I'm no pro-athlete but I stay in decent shape, I've been trying to hit it hard lately and I come to about an hour and a half and I hit a wall where I have little choice but to stop and go inside to cool down. That these guys can go hard all day, ability/results aside, it's impressive. I always get a kick out of the talk of heat in Houston, TX. It's real!

When did Shayne Graham acquire this leg strength? He's 7 for 14 in 50+ yard FGs over 11 seasons, and hasn't attempted a 50 yarder since 2007.

But....but....John McClain said so!

I 100% do not know how that man has a job today.

I will take accuracy under 50 yards all day long rather than worrying about 50+ yardage. At that distance, it's a challenge no matter the "leg" on a kicker...the trajectory of the ball is lower as it goes over the LOS, block rate goes up...kickers tend to leave it up anyway.

This is my surprise of the offseason.

Last day of minicamp, Graham put on a kicking show. CRUSHING IT. Long kicks in front of everybody that would have been good for 60. Bullock looked iffy. It was the only day during that time that they kicked in front of everybody.

Today was the first day of kicking in front of fans/media. They didn't do the long kicks but the kicks were going over the net and into the Teal Lot. I was worried they were going to mess up people's cars.

Today they looked about even to me. Making kicks. But they didn't do any long ones.

But anyone who thinks this is going to be given to Bullock because he was drafted hasn't been listening to Kubiak. He's made clear it will be a competition. I'm not sure he's comfortable giving this to a rookie.

That makes me wonder has a kicker ever been placed on practice squad? And would it even make sense to do that?

If the Texans took Graham, I can't imagine another team wanting Bullock. But the Texans getting a relationship with Bullock now might now might not be a bad thing. Young kickers sometimes float around for a while before they catch on.

If the Texans took Graham, I can't imagine another team wanting Bullock. But the Texans getting a relationship with Bullock now might now might not be a bad thing. Young kickers sometimes float around for a while before they catch on.

Yeah, I wouldn't think Bullock would get picked up if we release him but I'm sure the Texans would hate to waste a pick as well. Graham is who he is even if he does shine early and even into the season. Stashing him on the PS doesn't make a lot of sense from a numbers standpoint, but it does protect the small investment I guess. Hope Bullock makes all of this meaningless speculation.

One thing i noticed at the practice today Mitchell, Mercilious, and Cushing having problems holding in there water during scrimmage ... guess still getting use to the heat...

Yeah, I wouldn't think Bullock would get picked up if we release him but I'm sure the Texans would hate to waste a pick as well. Graham is who he is even if he does shine early and even into the season. Stashing him on the PS doesn't make a lot of sense from a numbers standpoint, but it does protect the small investment I guess. Hope Bullock makes all of this meaningless speculation.

The more set your roster is, the less bottom of the draft guys have a shot. Part of having a better team.

I was at the practice today. The Defense looked really good! Schaub looked good as well. The only thing I didn't like about today was the fact that only children could get autographs. I mean, I am in favor of it, it's just I didn't know they were gonna do that. I really wanted to get some autographs and I even won the plinko to get autographs. If I would have known they were doing kids only, I would have gone to another practice. All I got was a shirt.

On a closing note, Mercilus is HUGE!!!! My goodness!

I was looking at an erroneous stat page. NFL.com has Graham going 2 of 4 from 50+ in 2009 to lift his career mark to 9 of 18. Still, I've always considered Graham to be a weak legged kicker. Of his 16 2011 kickoffs (under the new kickoff placement), Graham kicked only one touchback. Color me confused that Graham is now considered to have a monster leg.

I was looking at an erroneous stat page. NFL.com has Graham going 2 of 4 from 50+ in 2009 to lift his career mark to 9 of 18. Still, I've always considered Graham to be a weak legged kicker. Of his 16 2011 kickoffs (under the new kickoff placement), Graham kicked only one touchback. Color me confused that Graham is now considered to have a monster leg.

*cough* natural boost of testosterone *cough cough*

I think it says something that the coaches haven't had him try very much. Kris Brown has as many made 50+ field goals (on 34 attempts) as Graham has attempts with the same career length.

Back