Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2012 Training Camp Thread

the most popular man in Houston:

rsz_20120728_075210-1.jpg

The Texans began training camp with a practice Saturday morning at the Methodist Training Center. After, head coach Gary Kubiak and some players answered questions from the media. The following is a transcript of their respective interviews.

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
ILB Brian Cushing
RB Arian Foster
WR Andre Johnson
OLB Whitney Mercilus
QB Matt Schaub
DE J.J. Watt

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on why QB Matt Schaub is the quarterback to take the Texans to the Super Bowl) “I think Matt’s a natural leader. People follow him. He’s been through the grind at this place. When he came in here, we weren’t a very good football team and Matt’s been a part of the building process. He’s been a constant, even though there have been some times he’s missed some plays on the field. But when he’s been at the helm, this team’s played good. Our guys believe in him, I believe in him and that’s the most important thing.”

(on the health of ILB Darryl Sharpton and P Brett Hartmann) “Brett is probably a little ways away. Sharp looked really good this morning. We’re going to ask him to show us one more time tomorrow and then he can be back on the field very quickly. He’s real close.”

(on being OLB Connor Barwin’s inspiration for his hair cut) “I don’t know, famous for a hair cut? I walked in the building yesterday and somebody said, ‘You seen Connor, Coach?’ I said, ‘No, why?’ They said, ‘You got to see him.’ I didn’t see him until we went to the meeting last night, but oh well, I guess it’s something to talk about for a couple days.”

AJ

(on how his knee felt out on the field) “It felt fine. I didn’t have any problems with it. It didn’t bother me at all.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...Practice/88acb156-c43d-41e8-b92e-e1578b57f671

hopefully a good sign that nothing was mentioned about AJ limping? (well kneewise)

:lol: err :hide::runaway:

(on if he’s talked to RB Arian Foster about becoming a vegan) “I texted him about three weeks ago and said, ‘Hey Vegan, you in shape?’ He texted me back and said, ‘What the heck does that mean?’ That’s been our conversation, but he looks great. He looks good this morning. Like I said, I’m focused on the football, not on what he’s eating right now.”

(on WR Keshawn Martin) “He’s got a lot of talent. You guys can see that. He’s going to push to help this team real quick and had a good morning this morning.”

According to everyone he was running fine and looking great out there in practice, so that's all that matters to me.

Some general theoretical thoughts about blogging about the NFL year + specific observations about camp this morning.

3. Training camp. Too easy blogging. There are too many things to write about. This is when I’d like to have a radio show.
You could do an internet radio show. I'd listen to it.

Big Duane looks like he won't be takin' any crap from anybody this year.
Did he take any crap last year? Don't think so.

Geez, how pathetic are our reporters? Is it really such a big deal that Foster's a vegan. It's training camp. Ask questions about football, not about what he's going to eat for dinner.

Wolf's Observations

O-Line
-RT Newton is getting a lot of reps with the first team and looks good
-Duane Brown is huge and one of the most athletic tackles I've ever seen. Expect a huge year from him
-Casey studdard wins the award for sloppiest training camp body. I have no idea what we see in him.

QB
-Was great to see Matt out there.
-TJ Yates scrambled a lot. Not sure if it was because of miss reads or great D-line pressure.

WR-Wish I could of seen more of the young guys but practice was canceled early
-Martin- Looked very good. Extremely quick going over the middle and mid a number of difficult catches. Will see a lot of time in the slot this season and I'm excited.
-Posey & Lestar Jean both looked pretty good.
-Andre Johnson- Looked good to me and I didn't see any limping. Made a diving catch on the sideline
-Trindon Holliday- Couldn't see much of him, but if you haven't seen him in person he is the smallest player I've ever seen...

LB- Consider me in love with this group. Will be one of the best LB units in the league and one with the highest upside. Each one is huge, extremely athletic and goes all out on every snap.

DB-Daniel Manning has the body I've always wanted!!:whip: He immediately jumps out at you back in the secondary. I see what Wade Phillips was saying because manning was extremely impressive and in total control.

I think our defense is in for a very special year. Offense will need time to get comfortable with each other. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

-Oh don't listen to Texans Chick, It was HOT outside!!

Geez, how pathetic are our reporters? Is it really such a big deal that Foster's a vegan. It's training camp. Ask questions about football, not about what he's going to eat for dinner.

The afternoon quote sheet is better. Less reporters there than morning so it is easier to get questions in. It was a fight to get the linebacker question in with Kubiak in the morning session--zillion reporters.

I'm mostly attending morning sessions when I can. Afternoon sessions are more of a walk thru.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to find them out. I'll be checking here when I have a chance (hard), or the most immediate way to contact me is on Twitter @StephStradley.

Texans Chick, can you ask coach Vance Joseph about KJ, Brandon Harris, and Roc Carmichael. Improvements in their coverage ability, weight loss vs. speed gain, etc... Interested in his overall assesment of the secondary. Also interested in the DB backups McManis, Williams, Nolan, and Demps. How do they look, and their contributions to the team this season. Thanks.

Ladies and gentlemen the man in black. The hardest working man in showbiz.

rsz_20120728_085024.jpg

Is that a burrito or a Twinkie in his hand?

He was thinking the whole time, "that sound good, I bet it would be better with bacon."

-Casey studdard wins the award for sloppiest training camp body. I have no idea what we see in him.
He's the David Anderson of the O-line. "He knows the system." That he can't play doesn't seem to be relevant.

Steph and McLame tweeting AJ being looked at, may have tweaked something.

As Ron Simmons would say: DAMN
From Stephanie Stradley's twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley Andre Johnson tweaked something. Will ask Kubiak. He's no longer being looked at, standing w/ teammates. Maybe groin? Wait, see.

Tweets from the General:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL Now Johnson is up and talking to some teammates. Lestar Jean is working with starters opposite Kevin Walter.

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/229576546040553472 John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Andre Johnson is kneeling to the side with towel over his head. Trainers were rubbing his right leg. He had scope on left knee.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call him injury prone now. Getting close to the time for him to hang it up. Jesus!

:butterfly:

Quick question: Is tomorrow's practice open for the fans? If not, will the press still get to see the morning practice? I'm excited about tomorrow since it will be the first day of real football (pads and nasty attitudes), but I'm worried we wont get info on the board or twitter if no one can attend. I mean I know the press gets to talk to the coaches and players after practice but we all know there is a difference between real action and kubes speak.

About AJ's injury.

He went off the field. Got worked on by trainers with some stretching. They took his helmet away. And then went back on the field during team period with the towel on his head...just standing around, talking to other receivers. (In other words, they didn't take him in a cart right away back to the facility).

Heard that tomorrow is pads.

Today the kickers were doing work on the far field with the skinny set of goal posts. I guess working with those makes the bigger goal posts look huge.

x2_dab3215

Quick question: Is tomorrow's practice open for the fans? If not, will the press still get to see the morning practice? I'm excited about tomorrow since it will be the first day of real football (pads and nasty attitudes), but I'm worried we wont get info on the board or twitter if no one can attend. I mean I know the press gets to talk to the coaches and players after practice but we all know there is a difference between real action and kubes speak.

Tomorrow is another open practice. I'm going to try to go to all the practices I can, especially the closed practices.

OPEN PRACTICE DATE TIME (CT) THEME
Saturday, July 28 8-10am Liberty White Out
Sunday, July 29 8-10am Deep Steel Sunday
Monday, July 30 8-10am Youth Day
Wednesday, Aug. 1 8-10am Salute to Service
Friday, Aug. 3 8-10am Battle Red Day
Saturday, Aug. 4 8-10am Fan Appreciation Day

Texans Chick, can you ask coach Vance Joseph about KJ, Brandon Harris, and Roc Carmichael. Improvements in their coverage ability, weight loss vs. speed gain, etc... Interested in his overall assesment of the secondary. Also interested in the DB backups McManis, Williams, Nolan, and Demps. How do they look, and their contributions to the team this season. Thanks.

It's hard to get interviews with assistants. Usually they are busy either eating, preparing for stuff.

From today's quote sheet though:

(on CB Johnathan Joseph in his second season in the secondary) “He’s a shutdown corner. When you’re calling defenses like (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) is, that’s a great comfort zone for you to have. It’s a great challenge for all of our offensive guys to go against him every day. He was a big addition to our team. He really raised the level of our play, he and (SS) Danieal Manning, no doubt about that. He’s a leader too, a fine young man.”

(on second-year CBs Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael) “The last five days of OTAs and the first couple days of camp, Brandon has been a little different player. Usually guys will make a big jump from year one to two, so we’ll see. Roc (Carmichael) is still in his rookie year. He missed all of last year and did not play with his injuries, so he’s probably behind Brandon right now, but we’re expecting big things for both of them.”

Lots of secondary guys on the roster. Alan Ball working hard to get on this roster--showed some sense of the ball coming.

Tomorrow is another open practice. I'm going to try to go to all the practices I can, especially the closed practices.
Was it really too hot at 9 am to practice outside? I have never seen that happen. Why don't the Texans want to have evening practices? Yes, it's still hot (it's Houston), but the sun is down.

Back