Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

Thank god Trindon has been looking better during the scrimmys with the Saints. I think he could be something special if allowed to run loose and not have to hesitate and think about where to go. Just let that guy go Coach Joe.

I still lament the loss of Sage.

If it's any consolation to you...the Rosencopter incident (no matter how isolated its tragedy) meant he would never be trusted here again.

It will be the same way if Kris Brown shanks an easy FG and we lose to the Colts in Game 1. Rackers will be re-signed the next day if that happened. Just have a feeling Brown squeaks through at final cuts. Then you can lament Kris Brown when Rackers shanks a crucial FG in the future.

Booty has a pop gun. Id rather have Dan O make a few more mental errors then turn our offense into 5 yard passes with Booty.

Not me. I'd rather nickel and dime our way down the field than have Dan O make mental errors that could result in pick-sixes

Not me. I'd rather nickel and dime our way down the field than have Dan O make mental errors that could result in pick-sixes

I'd be happy if JDB showed the ability to nickel and dime us down the field.

And I'd be happy if Dan O stopped having lapses of judgment.

I just want to be happy. Is that too much to ask?

If all else fails, may I suggest that you pretend you are a pig, find a mud pit, and jump in........works for me!:)

I'd be happy if Matt went unharmed during our entire 18-19 game season
:D

Here is a link to the most recent depth chart.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

While it says it was most recently updated Friday, August 20, some of the changes appear to be from after the Saints game last night.

As you can see, Trindon Holliday is now being listed as the 3rd string punt returner and kick off returner. This is new, at least as far as I know. Clearly, he will not make the team if this continues to hold.

Also, Shelley Smith is the backup RG behind Antoine Caldwell and Wade Smith is only being listed as the backup center behind Chris Myers. Smith started at LG last night against the Saints, and I believe he was listed as a backup at LG last time I looked at the Texans Depth Chart, unless I am mistaken. Clearly, that is not the case any more.

In addition, Sherrick McMannis is being listed as fourth string CB and kick returner. It does not seem likely that he will make the team if his ranking at CB does not improve. Maybe he is being eyed for the practice squad.

It's so weird seeing Chase Daniel play in the pros. The first time I saw him, he lost in the 5A championship against my former high school (Katy).

Damn. Jacoby hires Kennard, too? Dude is a highly respected Black agent
in the NFL. Clients include Andre Davis, Andre Johnson, Vince Wilfork,
Brandon Marshall, TJ Houshmanzadeh.

Nice choice, Jacoby.

Good on JJ. He's in his last year, right? So they'll have all off season to hash numbers?

Damn. Jacoby hires Kennard, too? Dude is a highly respected Black agent
in the NFL. Clients include Andre Davis, Andre Johnson, Vince Wilfork,
Brandon Marshall, TJ Houshmanzadeh.

Nice choice, Jacoby.

This move seems like AJ got alot to do with it IMO.

Go Texans!!!

What is a Black agent?

If I'd have left it at "agent" the image that comes to mind
defaults to a White man. It's not our fault. It's the way
America is constructed.

Heh. Maybe his name "Kennard" was good enough, and I didn't
have to include a description.

JB mentioned this in "Kubiak wants improvement thread" but Texans Notebook for today:

-Texans sign one, release one
-They arent close to signing Salaam or Spencer. Might bring in more players to look at.
-Sharpton sidelined with swollen knee
-Pollard says Kubiak gave them a "whoopin'"

If I'd have left it at "agent" the image that comes to mind
defaults to a White man. It's not our fault. It's the way
America is constructed.

Heh. Maybe his name "Kennard" was good enough, and I didn't
have to include a description.

I guess it depends on the audience, or perhaps there was a point you were trying to drive. To your point on fault - I see no fault, just lack of experience, education and a hint of defeatism in allowing any construct to define one's group.

An agent to me has no color, just ability on the execution side of his/her services being rendered.

I guess it depends on the audience, or perhaps there was a point you were trying to drive. To your point on fault - I see no fault, just lack of experience, education and a hint of defeatism in allowing any construct to define one's group.

An agent to me has no color, just ability on the execution side of his/her services being rendered.

Meh. Nice, and politically correct. However, race is woven into the fiber
of this country. I choose to acknowledge that fact, because ignoring it
causes damage to those who are ignored. Kennard is a talented, Black
agent. That's all I'm sayin'.

But, wouldn't it work just as well to say He is a talented agent?

No, more like - nice, and my professional and personal experience.

Race is not woven into the fiber of this country, it is woven into the fiber of the world over. That is a fact that I do not choose to acknowledge, it is a fact that I have experienced.

I see that your debate from the NSZ has spilled over to this forum. Please keep your racial/political/sociological broad paint brushes in the correct forum, or stay on topic in any of the sports' forums by starting a thread on Black agents within a specific league, or in general.

The fact that an agent is successful and black does matter to many black football players, which is understandable.

I hope the guy works out a good deal for JJ. Jacoby has come so far in a short time and I'm proud of the kid.

AJ's AFC South prediction
Colts 10-6
Titans 9-7
Texans 8-8
Jaguars 6-10

I think the Texans are better than the Jags and Titans for 2nd place in the AFC South with my prediction either 9-7 or 10-6

Didnt want to start a new thread and didnt know where to post this so I'll leave it here.:kitten:

More of the same in store for Texans in 2010

I disagree with a lot of those takes...

Seems like he is just looking for negative things to say.

I'll break down specific things I disagree with:

I was telling someone today that this version of the Texans may have peaked record-wise last season. Considering the relative stability in personnel, system, head coach, and the time they've had under this regime, it's not hard to make the argument that this version of the Texans isn't capable of anything more than 8 wins per season, plus or minus one.

Let's explore.

How can you say that the team peaked when so many games last year were decided on a handful of plays? We could literally go back and count the amount of games that the Texans just got their asses kicked in. The Texans are the youngest team in the league so to say that they have peaked is just asinine to me.

They need to learn how to make that one or two key play, and learn how to put two halves of football together. They have clearly shown the ability to play with some of the more talented teams in the league, but what they haven't shown is consistency. That comes with maturity.

First and foremost, what has this team done to get better during the past offseason? Wade Smith? Neil Rackers? Kareem Jackson?

Kareem Jackson may end up being a better corner for us this year than Dunta ever was but that is besides the point.

What have the Texans done that makes them think they are better? How about mature?

How about develop young depth behind starters? James Casey, Connor Barwin, Brice McCain, Troy Nolan..... How about develop young talent into starters? Glover Quinn, Antoine Caldwell...

How about the growth of Jacoby Jones?

How about if we get a guy like Owen Daniels back for a full season?

How about all the young players are getting a little older...Bernard Pollard has had a full year in the system...Frank Bush has had a full year to coach his system...It's like he completely discounts that any player on the Texans can get any better despite the fact that we are so young.

Maybe we didn't go out and grab an elite talent, but there are a lot of NFL teams that rely mostly on the draft and returning players. Hell what exactly did any team in our division do to further separate themselves from us?

Then he says this:

'One more year in the system' doesn't hold water. Most of the Texans core players have been in the system for at least three years.

Really? So by that statement alone you pretty much discredit your whole argument because you are basically saying that no matter who the Texans added, since most of their core players have been in the system (Even though last year was Bush's first :rolleyes:) they are not going to get any better than they already are.

Maybe some guys have peaked, but many of the young players on the roster have not. I think it's ridiculous to even suggest that.

I agree with him on the schedule part of his write-up in that it has potential to be tough, but every year teams change so I don't put too much stock in that. Games are played on the field, not on paper. I'll piggy back off what PN wrote in another thread:

I think this year's schedule isn't going to be as hard as people are making it out.

Comparing our NFC opponents, the NFC West had a couple of good teams and a couple of bad teams. The NFC East has one really good team, and three teams that are big question marks. We went 3-1 against the NFC West and we could easily do the same thing against the NFC East. I think this is where most people think the hardest games are but I don't think it's going to be nearly that bad. I don't care that we've never beaten these teams before. The only other times we've played them, Carr was the QB.

Our AFC opponents, last year we had the AFC East and this year we've got the AFC West. I consider the East tougher than the West. We went 3-1 against the East and we should do that well against the West.

Our other two teams last year were the Bengals and the Raiders and we went 2-0 against those guys. This year, we're getting the Jets and the Ravens and I think we can beat both of these teams but those are going to be two hard games.

That leaves our division. And I don't expect to go 1-5 in our division again. I expect us to go at least 3-3 in the division.

I think the two schedules are very similar. This year's schedule is a little harder in some ways but I expect the Jags to be worse this year than last. So, for me, it's a wash.

I disagree whole heartedly with his take on the team psychology .. I posted my take on that in another thread...But I'll give a brief summary here...

First of all he describes Gary as someone who openly frets and is a worry wart, and I just don't have that perception of him. Second he complains about Kubiak's demeanor when he addresses the media after a loss.

Not sure what he wants Gary to do. Dungy never had a problem building winning teams while guys like Jim Mora and Denny Green struggled. Hell Rex Ryan and Gary Kubiak's attitude got them the same record. And IMO Rex had the overall more talented team.

Anyways, that's my rant. :kitten:

Last edited:
PLEASSSSSE, the guy is 40, yes he had a good career,but if you'll take him over up and coming talent we might as well bring in EARL CAMPBELL !

PLEASSSSSE, the guy is 40, yes he had a good career,but if you'll take him over up and coming talent we might as well bring in EARL CAMPBELL !

If he can still play, then he can still play. Well, something like that anyways.

Don't knock old people. We still have a lot of voting power. LOL

Things I would love to happen at TC:

- Glover Quin takes the biggest leap of all "veteran" CBs

- Pollard brings his tenacity to TC, and solidifies himself as a team lead

- Earl Mitchell pushes Okoye

- Jacoby Jones becomes a WR

- Duane Brown works harder than any other OLineman and is ready to play 21 games

- Orlovsky, after refusing to believe that he ran out of the end zone years ago, is diagnosed with Heinsbergen Syndrome.

This is what I was looking for from TC, and believe this is what happened based on reports, and personal accounts from folks here, as well as reviewing the exhibition games.

This is going to be a fun year.

This is what I was looking for from TC, and believe this is what happened based on reports, and personal accounts from folks here, as well as reviewing the exhibition games.

This is going to be a fun year.

I did hear about O's diagnosis...I hope he's going to make it!!

Back