Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nico Collins is a legit WR 1

Efficiency is key. Stroud favors whoever is open so he’s not going to spam targets to a traditional WR1.

And Slowik desperately wants to have a running game and keep Stroud around 30-35 attempts per game. You have to feed Nico/Tank and give Schultz his usual 50-60 catches/season. I’d assume RB group will end around 40-50 catches (more if Saquon is added).

Have to be efficient with your opportunities in this offense. So far so good. Would be interested to see how a guy like Thomas fits in. Nico/Noah Brown kind of cancelled eachother out this past season for production. Brown only produced when Nico was injured. Obviously Thomas is a higher end talent so would be interesting if he can find a role other than Nico insurance.

I think this will decide a lot about what they do with the WR group. If they majorly upgrade RB with someone like Barkley, latest news out of New York is they are not going to tag him, then I think they stay with the current WR group, extend Collins and then maybe just add a guy in rounds 2-4 as mostly a backup or to replace Brown if they let him walk. If they don't upgrade the RB, and I don't see how they couldn't but for the sake of argument, then the WR group becomes vital and I can see them going after one of the big name free agents, at least the ones not tagged.

Efficiency is key. Stroud favors whoever is open so he’s not going to spam targets to a traditional WR1.

And Slowik desperately wants to have a running game and keep Stroud around 30-35 attempts per game. You have to feed Nico/Tank and give Schultz his usual 50-60 catches/season. I’d assume RB group will end around 40-50 catches (more if Saquon is added).

Have to be efficient with your opportunities in this offense. So far so good. Would be interested to see how a guy like Thomas fits in. Nico/Noah Brown kind of cancelled eachother out this past season for production. Brown only produced when Nico was injured. Obviously Thomas is a higher end talent so would be interesting if he can find a role other than Nico insurance.
I don't think CJ is going to ever check the ball down to a rb consistently. I don't think this team will ever be more than a 40% run team and that's fine as long as that 40% is efficient especially in a 4 minute drill. That's why I prefer Henry. I've seen him run the clock out. Barkley, not so much.

I love this style of offense, rather than forcing the throws to one wr 150+160 times a year.

I think this will decide a lot about what they do with the WR group. If they majorly upgrade RB with someone like Barkley, latest news out of New York is they are not going to tag him, then I think they stay with the current WR group, extend Collins and then maybe just add a guy in rounds 2-4 as mostly a backup or to replace Brown if they let him walk. If they don't upgrade the RB, and I don't see how they couldn't but for the sake of argument, then the WR group becomes vital and I can see them going after one of the big name free agents, at least the ones not tagged.

I'm all in on the Collins / Dell duo. Lock-up Collins for the long haul and call it a day. Draft a very good complimentary piece, like SWR- Luke McCaffrey, who's willing to do the dirty work over the middle, has the speed to stretch the seam in a mismatch, and holds up well as a blocking WR. He would be a piece that makes the group better.

As for RB....man, that's going to be Caserio's call b/c I'm good with whatever direction his decision goes, but my gut is saying money will be the deciding factor. RB's wanting to call Houston home will need to know that lowering monetary expectations could be the quickest way to a contract.

I'm all in on the Collins / Dell duo. Lock-up Collins for the long haul and call it a day. Draft a very good complimentary piece, like SWR- Luke McCaffrey, who's willing to do the dirty work over the middle, has the speed to stretch the seam in a mismatch, and holds up well as a blocking WR. He would be a piece that makes the group better.

As for RB....man, that's going to be Caserio's call b/c I'm good with whatever direction his decision goes, but my gut is saying money will be the deciding factor. RB's wanting to call Houston home will need to know that lowering monetary expectations could be the quickest way to a contract.
Under the old Shanahan dudes, the ol coach (Gibbs) would choose the rbs and also coach them. Every rb can't run in the system.

that is my understanding also and the word I get is $25 million apy. I also think it would be a good move to sign a young dynamic player to show current players and free agents on other teams that Houston is a good place to work.
I thought Nico had a good year, I think he's a good player, but I don't think he's $25M/yr.

I think the Texans need to evaluate the situation properly & pay him accordingly. Overpaying guys is not how you build a championship level team.

Of course it isn't my business to say what a player is/isn't worth so I could be way off. But I'm thinking more like $15M. Other teams would probably pay him more. I'm ok with that.

I thought Nico had a good year, I think he's a good player, but I don't think he's $25M/yr.

I think the Texans need to evaluate the situation properly & pay him accordingly. Overpaying guys is not how you build a championship level team.

Of course it isn't my business to say what a player is/isn't worth so I could be way off. But I'm thinking more like $15M. Other teams would probably pay him more. I'm ok with that.
$20m per seems about right - Evans got $26m per right? Nico is not quite at Evans' level, but is much younger.

I love this style of offense, rather than forcing the throws to one wr 150+160 times a year.
I don't think Cj is forcing it. He just knows the offense so well, he's playing with so much anticipation & accuracy he's able to get the ball out on time, not like that other guy who used to hold the ball. I don't think he refuses to take the check down, he just hasn't had to.

I think that was more a matter of lack of options than trying to force it. After Dell went down Collins was really the only weapon CJ reliably had. We had no run game and Schultz was fine for short passes but he's not much of a target if you want to throw over 10 yards. I really, really want to see what CJ can do with a real run game and more than one downfield target.

This is where I'm at and have been saying. Collins hasn't shown me enough to say he's worth being one of the top paid WRs but a nice range of 15-20 million would be a reasonable increase. If another team will overpay him based off one good season well you are always going to have teams like that and you can't get in a bidding war with them.

I think that was more a matter of lack of options than trying to force it. After Dell went down Collins was really the only weapon CJ reliably had. We had no run game and Schultz was fine for short passes but he's not much of a target if you want to throw over 10 yards. I really, really want to see what CJ can do with a real run game and more than one downfield target.
I was referring to how Stroud plays the QB position vs Derrick.

This is where I'm at and have been saying. Collins hasn't shown me enough to say he's worth being one of the top paid WRs but a nice range of 15-20 million would be a reasonable increase. If another team will overpay him based off one good season well you are always going to have teams like that and you can't get in a bidding war with them.
Yes, it was just one good, actually extremely good, season for Nico Collins. Collins missed 10 games his initial two seasons with the Texans. That's a fact. On paper, I can see people wanting to see more.

But even if Collins had been healthy his first two seasons, it was very unlikely he would have approached the numbers he had in 2023. Nico was not as experienced as other rookie WRs, as he sat out the 2020 Covid season. And the Texans passing offense was poor to horrible in 2021-2022. There was never going to be an opportunity for Nico to shine his first two seasons in Houston.

Last season was a remarkable season for the Texans, and Collins. No one could predict the turnaround for the team, the passing game, and Nico. My question is, did anything about last year not look unsustainable? What about Collins performance looked unrepeatable or quirky? Not only did Collins put up big numbers, he looked like a guy who should put up big numbers. Big, fast, strong, outstanding hands. If you had ever seen Collins play like this before, he would be a 1st round pick in any draft. And the Texans were fortunate to select Collins in the 3rd round.

But drafting Collins in the 3rd round , or any player taken after the 1st round, creates a problem. 2nd thru 7th round picks get 4-year deals, without a 5th year option as 1st round contracts receive. That means teams have one less year to evaluate the players selected after round one. The team has to go on their gut and their eyes to determine if the player should be extended. I think the Texans have already made that determination on Collins. I see a extension for Collins this offseason that in time will look like a good deal for both parties.

Yes, it was just one good, actually extremely good, season for Nico Collins. Collins missed 10 games his initial two seasons with the Texans. That's a fact. On paper, I can see people wanting to see more.

But even if Collins had been healthy his first two seasons, it was very unlikely he would have approached the numbers he had in 2023. Nico was not as experienced as other rookie WRs, as he sat out the 2020 Covid season. And the Texans passing offense was poor to horrible in 2021-2022. There was never going to be an opportunity for Nico to shine his first two seasons in Houston.

Last season was a remarkable season for the Texans, and Collins. No one could predict the turnaround for the team, the passing game, and Nico. My question is, did anything about last year not look unsustainable? What about Collins performance looked unrepeatable or quirky? Not only did Collins put up big numbers, he looked like a guy who should put up big numbers. Big, fast, strong, outstanding hands. If you had ever seen Collins play like this before, he would be a 1st round pick in any draft. And the Texans were fortunate to select Collins in the 3rd round.

But drafting Collins in the 3rd round , or any player taken after the 1st round, creates a problem. 2nd thru 7th round picks get 4-year deals, without a 5th year option as 1st round contracts receive. That means teams have one less year to evaluate the players selected after round one. The team has to go on their gut and their eyes to determine if the player should be extended. I think the Texans have already made that determination on Collins. I see a extension for Collins this offseason that in time will look like a good deal for both parties.
Right!
If anyone had made that prediction, they would have been laughed out of town - even the most radical homer in here would have suffered plenty of scorn! 😄

I agree with you that Texans have already decided what they are or are not willing to do in regards to Collins. I also agree that everything about Collins says that he should put up numbers every year like he did last year. But being physically gifted and almost custom made for a position doesn't equal actual production and fact is of the 3 years he has been on the team only one justified any increase at all much less an increase to top tier WR. I maybe being to gun shy here but I would still like to see what this team can do when CJ hits his sophomore year and teams have more film on him, we are playing a division champion schedule and Collins has at least as many good years as he has had bad ones.

You're 100% right that the possible steal the Texans got by drafting Collins in round 3 also means they don't have as many options but frankly they have more than people think. Realistically we have about a 3 year window here and Collins in under contract through next year and you look at the list of Texans free agents in 2025 and the only one of note is Collins and maybe Beck so you could use the tag on him then without hurting yourself to much. Even then you have Dell still on a rookie contract and by then I think he could be WR1, assuming nothing major like another injury, so its not like when we traded Hopkins and literally had no one else you could trust to catch the ball. I'm not the one having to make the call, and glad I'm not, but me I would offer 15 million year with guarantees, be willing to go up to 20 million with fewer guarantees and maybe willing to go 25 million if about 5-6 million of that is dependent on incentives.

Realistically we have about a 3 year window here and Collins in under contract through next year and you look at the list of Texans free agents in 2025 and the only one of note is Collins and maybe Beck so you could use the tag on him then without hurting yourself to much.
Yes, I've said in the previous posts that the franchise tag would likely be available to use on Collins in 2025. The WR franchise tag is projected to be $25.5 million in 2025. And if the Texans can't come to a long term deal then, the tag goes up 20% to over $30 million in 2026. If you're concerned about cost and risk, it's pretty clear it's best to come to a deal with Collins now.

Fun fact about Adams and Nico. In their first two seasons, they had TWO total receiving yards separating them.

Adams was down the WR depth chart. Nico was injured a lot.

Adams didn't really get going until Year 5 because of a crowded WR room and Rodgers being hurt one season. Nico took the leap in Year 3 in part by being healthy and having Stroud.

I'm not saying that Nico is better than Adams. What I am saying is that stats alone don't tell the whole story, for either of these guys at the start of their respective careers. Teams can objectively take a look at the situation and other factors in assessing what they have on their hands, even if they only have one season of sustained performance. And I agree with you that the Texans have done that and made a determination on Nico. I expect an extension and think it is the right thing to do.

All that being said...

He's going to get paid. He looks like an NFL player & not just a JAG, but there's a big range of what those guys get paid. I'm just not ready to pay him top 10 money. Top money sure, then put some guarantees on it for certain dates, but that's going to screw with the cap.

Yeah, it's a bad situation for me if I were Nick. & we're all lucky I'm not.

I compare Nico's 2023 as WR similar to Jaylon Johnson Bears year and would like to see Nico getting a similar deal.

Is a receiver putting eight touchdowns on the board more important than a cornerback intercepting four times while allowing only 1 TD?

You are comparing Steven Nelson to Jaylon Johnson?

😅🤣😂
I compared the stats you gave for Johnson to Steve Nelson's stats.

tenor.gif

All that being said...

He's going to get paid. He looks like an NFL player & not just a JAG, but there's a big range of what those guys get paid. I'm just not ready to pay him top 10 money. Top money sure, then put some guarantees on it for certain dates, but that's going to screw with the cap.

If he plays like a top 10 player, why not reward him like one. You remember Jimmy Smith in Dallas vs Jimmy Smith in Jacksonville? One guy couldn't stay healthy, the other was hell on wheels.

I compare Nico's 2023 as WR similar to Jaylon Johnson Bears year and would like to see Nico getting a similar deal.

Is a receiver putting eight touchdowns on the board more important than a cornerback intercepting four times while allowing only 1 TD?
Isn't it easier to just look at other receivers that put up 8 TDs?

If he plays like a top 10 player, why not reward him like one. You remember Jimmy Smith in Dallas vs Jimmy Smith in Jacksonville? One guy couldn't stay healthy, the other was hell on wheels.
So because of injury Dallas didn't pay him like a top 10 player. He went to Jacksonville & balled so Dallas should have paid him like a top 10 player?

I don't know how that works. Did he/they do something different in Jacksonville to keep him healthy? or was it knowing that availability is important to some teams? Did Jacksonville ever pay him like a top 10 receiver, I know they should have, but I keep remember thinking he was underpaid. Long time ago.

I agree with you that Texans have already decided what they are or are not willing to do in regards to Collins. I also agree that everything about Collins says that he should put up numbers every year like he did last year. But being physically gifted and almost custom made for a position doesn't equal actual production and fact is of the 3 years he has been on the team only one justified any increase at all much less an increase to top tier WR. I maybe being to gun shy here but I would still like to see what this team can do when CJ hits his sophomore year and teams have more film on him, we are playing a division champion schedule and Collins has at least as many good years as he has had bad ones.

You're 100% right that the possible steal the Texans got by drafting Collins in round 3 also means they don't have as many options but frankly they have more than people think. Realistically we have about a 3 year window here and Collins in under contract through next year and you look at the list of Texans free agents in 2025 and the only one of note is Collins and maybe Beck so you could use the tag on him then without hurting yourself to much. Even then you have Dell still on a rookie contract and by then I think he could be WR1, assuming nothing major like another injury, so its not like when we traded Hopkins and literally had no one else you could trust to catch the ball. I'm not the one having to make the call, and glad I'm not, but me I would offer 15 million year with guarantees, be willing to go up to 20 million with fewer guarantees and maybe willing to go 25 million if about 5-6 million of that is dependent on incentives.
No! I will take my chances in free agency in 2025. Signed Nico Collins

All that being said...

Nico was 3rd best 2023 and his sgent will push that.

uh.. wut?
I have no clue to what you are indicating that kicker Fairbairn has to do with Nico Collins. Of course we have to have a kicker but you do not expect a kicker to get what a wide receiver would or the 15.9 for 3 years would be the beginning point for one year.

uh.. wut?
I have no clue to what you are indicating that kicker Fairbairn has to do with Nico Collins. Of course we have to have a kicker but you do not expect a kicker to get what a wide receiver would or the 15.9 for 3 years would be the beginning point for one year.
You're right. "Value" to the team shouldn't be the criteria we're using here. We should pay kickers like kickers, QBs like QBs, Tackles like Tackles, I get your point. It would be silly to pay Jason Kelce like Jaylon Johnson.

You're right. "Value" to the team shouldn't be the criteria we're using here. We should pay kickers like kickers, QBs like QBs, Tackles like Tackles, I get your point. It would be silly to pay Jason Kelce like Jaylon Johnson.
No, my point is a WR 1 can be compared to a CB1 of similar age, skills and stats.

So because of injury Dallas didn't pay him like a top 10 player. He went to Jacksonville & balled so Dallas should have paid him like a top 10 player?

I don't know how that works. Did he/they do something different in Jacksonville to keep him healthy? or was it knowing that availability is important to some teams? Did Jacksonville ever pay him like a top 10 receiver, I know they should have, but I keep remember thinking he was underpaid. Long time ago.
He just couldn't stay healthy in Dallas and they had an injury settlement with him and he went to Jacksonville. He managed to stay relatively healthy in Jacksonville and became a consistent 1200 yd receiver.

He just couldn't stay healthy in Dallas and they had an injury settlement with him and he went to Jacksonville. He managed to stay relatively healthy in Jacksonville and became a consistent 1200 yd receiver.

Smith's real injury history with Dallas has been buried. His only injury was an isolated distal fibula fracture (same as Tank Dell's), unfortunately sustained at the beginning of his 1992 rookie season.

He was tearing up preseason in 1993 when he went to the medical staff with complaints of significant abdominal pains. They diagnosed him as indigestion and filled him up with numerous over the counter and prescription antacids. He continued to have increasing pains which he insisted did not allow him to be able to play. He was seen and examined repeatedly by the medical staff which insisted on their "benign" diagnosis. When he went to an independent physician, he was referred to the team surgeon who diagnosed a severe case of appendicitis.

His appendix was found to be ruptured, but for some unexplainable reason, the site was not drained and the abdomen was simply closed after removal of the appendix. He was released from the hospital still with high fever. With increasing severe abdominal pain, vomiting and intestinal obstruction symptoms, he was readmitted as an emergency where he subsequently went into septic shock and almost died. In order to save him, he underwent massive IV antibiotic therapy and removal of part of his small intestine, necessitating an ileostomy (equivalent to a colostomy, except for the small intestine instead of the colon).

The Cowboys refused to pay his 1993 salary, since he missed the entire season, including the SB. This was reversed when the NFLPA filed and won an appeal.

He "left" the Cowboys after they wanted to have him play for peanuts instead of under the rest of his contract.............all of this to an elite WR who was repeatedly misdagnosed, mistreated and mishandled by Jerry Jone's "America's Team."

Smith's real injury history with Dallas has been buried. His only injury was an isolated distal fibula fracture (same as Tank Dell's), unfortunately sustained at the beginning of his 1992 rookie season.

He was tearing up preseason in 1993 when he went to the medical staff with complaints of significant abdominal pains. They diagnosed him as indigestion and filled him up with numerous over the counter and prescription antacids. He continued to have increasing pains which he insisted did not allow him to be able to play. He was seen and examined repeatedly by the medical staff which insisted on their "benign" diagnosis. When he went to an independent physician, he was referred to the team surgeon who diagnosed a severe case of appendicitis.

His appendix was found to be ruptured, but for some unexplainable reason, the site was not drained and the abdomen was simply closed after removal of the appendix. He was released from the hospital still with high fever. With increasing severe abdominal pain, vomiting and intestinal obstruction symptoms, he was readmitted as an emergency where he subsequently went into septic shock and almost died. In order to save him, he underwent massive IV antibiotic therapy and removal of part of his small intestine, necessitating an ileostomy (equivalent to a colostomy, except for the small intestine instead of the colon).

The Cowboys refused to pay his 1993 salary, since he missed the entire season, including the SB. This was reversed when the NFLPA filed and won an appeal.

He "left" the Cowboys after they wanted to have him play for peanuts instead of under the rest of his contract.............all of this to an elite WR who was repeatedly misdagnosed, mistreated and mishandled by Jerry Jone's "America's Team."
Yeah, he was on either the radio or a podcast something like this. That's also when JJ said you can'r make the club in the hot tub. Whatever it was that kept him from playing, when he did, he was a monster. He has hall of fame numbers too. Fred Taylor was also a injury prone player early in his career, but turned out to not be not so injury prone once he got rolling. Trey Hendrickson in NO was similar and Bengals paid him off his one productive year and now look at him. I know these players can go either way, but in regards to Nico, Cashman,and Greenard, I wouldn't easily brush them off because of early injuries and their production.

Yeah, he was on either the radio or a podcast something like this. That's also when JJ said you can'r make the club in the hot tub. Whatever it was that kept him from playing, when he did, he was a monster. He has hall of fame numbers too. Fred Taylor was also a injury prone player early in his career, but turned out to not be not so injury prone once he got rolling. Trey Hendrickson in NO was similar and Bengals paid him off his one productive year and now look at him. I know these players can go either way, but in regards to Nico, Cashman,and Greenard, I wouldn't easily brush them off because of early injuries and their production.
Understand that I posted on Smith to dispell the "injury prone" narative while with Dallas.

Back