Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What exactly would Caserio have to do for you to say, that's it, I've had enough, Nick Caserio has to go?
Trade away both first round picks for Sean Payton. lol

I understand your perspective on Caserio, and you do a solid job of explaining your position.

However, it is my opinion that any given GM is going to have the same problems here. And that is the fundamental problem of incompetent meddling owners.

They need to get out of the way. They've needed to get out of the way for 20+ years.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Trade away both first round picks for Sean Payton. lol

I understand your perspective on Caserio, and you do a solid job of explaining your position.

However, it is my opinion that any given GM is going to have the same problems here. And that is the fundamental problem of incompetent meddling owners.

They need to get out of the way. They've needed to get out of the way for 20+ years.
I agree with you somewhat. Even with all of Cal's faults, Cal does not draft the players, like his Dad was known to do. Cal didn't draft Mills and he didn't give up too much to move up to draft Collins who is a #3 WR at best. Cal didn't draft an injured CB who can't stay on the field because he is injured. Nor did Cal draft a slow weak OG, who is terrible in pass pro.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I'm going down there in late February or early March to see Space X fire off a rocket and pickup some cheap meds while I'm down there.
Yes, Elon has said they are on schedule for a launch at about that time. Will be their first launch if it happens.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes, Elon has said they are on schedule for a launch at about that time. Will be their first launch if it happens.
My son is coming in from Boston so we can witness it together. Last yr we went to Florida to see Space X put 2 astronauts on the Space Station. It was amazing to see. Watching the engineers at dinner the night before the launch and at a party after the launch was amazing. Super talented people.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cal is using smoke screen and mirrors about his "more engaged" comments. It's just marketing spin. He's always been fully engaged in every process. He's spinning this to act like none of the stink is on him. This according to anyone/everyone with insider access, including John McClain, Mark V., Lance Z., John Granato, etc.

I don't believe for a second that he was some helpless, hapless, and clueless owner. That's BS. He's had a seat in the boardroom meetings since 2002. He's just been incompetent at it for the most part. He's learning on the job, which is why he's paying so many millions to former GMs and HCs.
So.. there's a chance that Cal is learning?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What does this reply have to do with mine?

I thought he had a good draft. 2 guys on the all rookie team and 1 honorable mention. This was with the two 1st rd picks getting injured.
So you don't think two misses in the first round is important?

Bless your heart.
Sounds like mediocre to me that he "seems" to make it up in the later round.

News flash .
Pitre still miss a ton of tackles.

And Pierce has yet to play a full season.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
When Bill O'Brien is clearly the most successful branch of your coaching tree. . .

I respect the NE dynasty, but now having seen so many coaches and front office execs flounder when the leave, what is clear is that they train their people to do what needs to be done within their organization, but have zero desire to train them to be successful anywhere else.

I would stay far, far away from anyone coming from NE in the future.

Find a Shanahan tree to get fruit from. They clearly have the attitude of prepping coaches for bigger and better things. That all comes from Bill Walsh, a true teaching coach for both players and coaches.

I think a lot of it is just fans blinding grabbing for anything that can even be slightly perceived as "hope".

She turned her back on the pervert! She's the power!!! *wishful thinking*

My own take is Easterby's sudden departure left a giant gaping hole in Cal that needed a new puppetmaster. Hannah seems to have those strings firmly in her grasp now.

And if so, why not? Can't be much worse than the clown show we've been watching for the past several years.

What you are surmising completely ignores the history of this franchise.

Of course the McNairs were involved! They have always ran their front office like an executive corporate boardroom. That model was described by Bob McNair himself. It's his background and where he feels comfortable. Janice/Cal did not change anything other than who got a seat at that table.

It is naive to act like they gave Caserio the power without any oversight or direct involvement. Even fans looking in from the outside know these owners are meddlers. They have been since 2002.
i liken it more to assembly line work. Beli has developed a system and put it in place that works well in getting the end product completed, but the personnel is interchangeable as hell b/c the job assistants are tasked with doing is so broken down & specific to what he wants, monkeys could do it. so Coaches are brought in, given specific duties to do a very specific way…& thats all they do. Titles there mean nothing.

Other HC’s assistants are given a rough framework for how to get the final product completed, but are allowed to get it done however they need to or can..allows for more freedom and they can develop their coaching chops….at least a little bit more than what can be done in NE under Beli.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree with you somewhat. Even with all of Cal's faults, Cal does not draft the players, like his Dad was known to do. Cal didn't draft Mills and he didn't give up too much to move up to draft Collins who is a #3 WR at best. Cal didn't draft an injured CB who can't stay on the field because he is injured. Nor did Cal draft a slow weak OG, who is terrible in pass pro.
Maybe. Some reports is they leaned away from Sauce because he was too flashy. He empowered Lovie to make the pick over his GM. It's not a direct decision, but it ultimately undermines the GM when he's not expected to be the top dog with decisions and has to defer to the boardroom consensus.

Also, do not be surprised if they pick a tiny QB from this draft because he's the media darling and that's easier to market.

I'm not saying it's all on Cal with regards to specific and individual decisions. But even Caserio is his decision, so if you don't like the GM, it's on the owner at the end of the day.

i liken it more to assembly line work. Beli has developed a system and put it in place that works well in getting the end product completed, but the personnel is interchangeable as hell b/c the job assistants are tasked with doing is so broken down & specific to what he wants, monkeys could do it. so Coaches are brought in, given specific duties to do a very specific way…& thats all they do. Titles there mean nothing.

Other HC’s assistants are given a rough framework for how to get the final product completed, but are allowed to get it done however they need to or can..allows for more freedom and they can develop their coaching chops….at least a little bit more than what can be done in NE under Beli.
yep, exactly. I work a small company and we personally do everything from A to Z. However, we've got large competitors that only teach their employees what they need to do on the logistics chain assembly line. I've interviewed some of these people, and it amazes me that someone can be in this industry for over a decade and still not understand the supply chain. It's because they never needed to know it, but they are not prepared to do anything outside of their specific tasks from previous employers.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I thought he had a good draft. 2 guys on the all rookie team and 1 honorable mention. This was with the two 1st rd picks getting injured.
There are 32 picks in the first round.
The Texans had 2 of them (including the no. 3 pick).
They also had more picks than the other teams (I think); it's not that hard to have 2 on the All-rookie team.

Stingley's injury had nothing to do with it.
He wouldn't make that team with the way the other two guys have been playing.

And Green had never played up to his draft slot. (Even before the injury).

You never cut Rick Smith any slack when Spencer and the rest of the guys were lost by injury.
Why are you giving Caserio the benefit now?

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Also, the two safeties drafted before Pitre were injured early and didn't play much.
Pitre is next in line, so being named to the All-rookie team isn't any big deal.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Pierce had a very good rookie season, but it wasn't like the other rookie RB didn't.
Many of them are just in a RB by committee situation so they just don't have enough touches, especially when they play behind guys like Henry and McCaffrey.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
@badboy @thunderkyss I think you guys are falling into the trap of Cover 2/Tampa 2 not being effective for the players the Texans. You know who runs the same scheme? Buffalo,SF, Washington among the many. Its about the the jimmy and joes, not x's and o's. Have yall watched they way Buffalo or SF play their Cover 2? They get away with the same defense because they have better cover lbs and better front pressure players, but its still Cover 2. Briggs and Urlacher were beast closing that middle. Tommie Harris as that 3 tech was a wrecking ball. The kid from Nebraska was always around the ball. In Carolina when Rivera had Keckly and Thomas Davis, basically 2 great coverage lbs that allowed prssure to get qbs to hold the ball and Norman turned into a psuedo all pro. Pitre missed tackles because he throws his body vs excelerate his feet through the tackle. He's young and has time

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe. Some reports is they leaned away from Sauce because he was too flashy. He empowered Lovie to make the pick over his GM. It's not a direct decision, but it ultimately undermines the GM when he's not expected to be the top dog with decisions and has to defer to the boardroom consensus.

Also, do not be surprised if they pick a tiny QB from this draft because he's the media darling and that's easier to market.

I'm not saying it's all on Cal with regards to specific and individual decisions. But even Caserio is his decision, so if you don't like the GM, it's on the owner at the end of the day.

yep, exactly. I work a small company and we personally do everything from A to Z. However, we've got large competitors that only teach their employees what they need to do on the logistics chain assembly line. I've interviewed some of these people, and it amazes me that someone can be in this industry for over a decade and still not understand the supply chain. It's because they never needed to know it, but they are not prepared to do anything outside of their specific tasks from previous employers.
Great post

It appears nothing has changed, I do believe Lovie and staff wanted Stingley over Sauce and instead of Caserio saying no, he gave Lovie the guy Lovie wanted.

Nothing has changed down on Kirby. I didn't even bother going to a game this yr. Gave away my season tickets to Clients/Friends and even some friends on this MB. I'm just sad for the City of Houston at this point.

It's sad but not surprising considering today's work force. I got a story for you. About 4 yrs ago I told an ex employee to put windshield washer fluid in my truck. I leave 30 mins later and press the button to wash my windshield. (No fluid comes out. I look in the back drivers side floor board at my next stop. There's the wiper fluid. So technically he did put the wiper fluid in the truck. The client I took to lunch got a good laugh and told me a story of his. SMH

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Great post

It appears nothing has changed, I do believe Lovie and staff wanted Stingley over Sauce and instead of Caserio saying no, he gave Lovie the guy Lovie wanted.

Nothing has changed down on Kirby. I didn't even bother going to a game this yr. Gave away my season tickets to Clients/Friends and even some friends on this MB. I'm just sad for the City of Houston at this point.

It's sad but not surprising considering today's work force. I got a story for you. About 4 yrs ago I told an ex employee to put windshield washer fluid in my truck. I leave 30 mins later and press the button to wash my windshield. (No fluid comes out. I look in the back drivers side floor board at my next stop. There's the wiper fluid. So technically he did put the wiper fluid in the truck. The client I took to lunch got a good laugh and told me a story of his. SMH
So Nick Caserio is just a file clerk?
Is that what you're saying?

Or were you trying to say that bad decisions were Lovies? And good decisions were Caserio's?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So Nick Caserio is just a file clerk?
Is that what you're saying?

Or were you trying to say that bad decisions were Lovies? And good decisions were Caserio's?
I'm saying that Caserio tried to give Lovie the players Love wanted for his defense, because Caserio wasn't familiar with the Tampa 2 and the types of players that were needed for it to be successful.

I've said this many times before ,

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I'm saying that Caserio tried to give Lovie the players Love wanted for his defense, because Caserio wasn't familiar with the Tampa 2 and the types of players that were needed for it to be successful.

I've said this many times before ,
I'm not going to argue this, but I have a post earlier about this. NE played alot of Cover 2 while he was there especially when they got a lead. They would press an bail out of the cover 2, but it was still cover 2. I mean Asante Samuel made a career in NE out of the cover 2. When NE got their offense rolling , they would sit in that cover 2 as much as anyone did. Nobody is playing straight man like the Raiders used to. The nfl is too wide open and has too much space. Cover 2 can be a great tool as long as you have the players to execute it. Whatever defense you run, you have to stop the run adequately. You don't have to be Ravens 2000, but you need to earn the right to rush the passer and limit big explosive runs.

I've said this for years even when the Texans had really good defenses, they've always had trouble with lb coverage which is probably more important than secondary coverage. The Texans have never had good coverage lbs. Harris has shown promise, all the others are trash in recognition of inside routes and bait routes. If you can't squeeze the middle defensively, that's just easy money no matter what kind of corners you have. Its like 7 on 7 really.

Back to Sauce vs Stingley and Caserio giving Lovie his choice of the 2. I think Caserio is always playing the long game in terms of personel when it comes to the Texans. Similar to Culley, I think he was just looking at percieved talent or player attributes vs the best player. Lovie, during his time in the nfl never had a player similar to Stingley. Even if you watch they way they played in college in both man and zone, Sauce had better tape. Stingley probably on his best days is a better man v man than sauce, but as a whole, to me its Sauce. Stingley still has time to justify his pick and needs to stay healthy,but Sauce is the 1st rookie to be named all pro at cb since 81. Its a steep hill to climb right now.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not going to argue this, but I have a post earlier about this. NE played alot of Cover 2 while he was there especially when they got a lead. They would press an bail out of the cover 2, but it was still cover 2. I mean Asante Samuel made a career in NE out of the cover 2. When NE got their offense rolling , they would sit in that cover 2 as much as anyone did. Nobody is playing straight man like the Raiders used to. The nfl is too wide open and has too much space. Cover 2 can be a great tool as long as you have the players to execute it. Whatever defense you run, you have to stop the run adequately. You don't have to be Ravens 2000, but you need to earn the right to rush the passer and limit big explosive runs.

I've said this for years even when the Texans had really good defenses, they've always had trouble with lb coverage which is probably more important than secondary coverage. The Texans have never had good coverage lbs. Harris has shown promise, all the others are trash in recognition of inside routes and bait routes. If you can't squeeze the middle defensively, that's just easy money no matter what kind of corners you have. Its like 7 on 7 really.

Back to Sauce vs Stingley and Caserio giving Lovie his choice of the 2. I think Caserio is always playing the long game in terms of personel when it comes to the Texans. Similar to Culley, I think he was just looking at percieved talent or player attributes vs the best player. Lovie, during his time in the nfl never had a player similar to Stingley. Even if you watch they way they played in college in both man and zone, Sauce had better tape. Stingley probably on his best days is a better man v man than sauce, but as a whole, to me its Sauce. Stingley still has time to justify his pick and needs to stay healthy,but Sauce is the 1st rookie to be named all pro at cb since 81. Its a steep hill to climb right now.
Stingley is never going to be as good as Sauce. However that still doesn't mean he can't be a top flight CB, if healthy.

Agreed about the LB"s and coverage. Hopefully Harris keeps improving. I do like Cashman despite his injury history. Hopefully Caserio addresses the LB position in FA. I don't like this LB draft class.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Lovie, during his time in the nfl never had a player similar to Stingley.
No, but he did have a long, physical corner in Peanut Tillman. That's why I thought Lovie would have preferred Sauce to Stingley. But look at the 2021 Texans draft in total. Caserio loved the big schools, especially the SEC. I think he never saw Gardner challenged in the American, and that spooked him. Look at some of the other picks. Green (SEC) over Zion Johnson (ACC). Metchie (SEC) over Skyy Moore (MAC). Caserio just didn't trust the level of competition.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
No, but he did have a long, physical corner in Peanut Tillman. That's why I thought Lovie would have preferred Sauce to Stingley. But look at the 2021 Texans draft in total. Caserio loved the big schools, especially the SEC. I think he never saw Gardner challenged in the American, and that spooked him. Look at some of the other picks. Green (SEC) over Zion Johnson (ACC). Metchie (SEC) over Skyy Moore (MAC). Caserio just didn't trust the level of competition.
Great point and that's why I think Stingley was Caserio pick. If you look at Stingley who is predominantly man vs Sauce who is adequate at both. If you just watch recent film, Sauce was a no brainer over Stingley. In terms of big schools vs smaller schools, I mean Metchie over Pickens didn't make sense and both were in the same the SEC. I preferred several wr's over Metchie because he didn't have any special traits. I don't count the cancer, I'm just speaking in terms of physical attributes. I thought Williams was the elite talent, followed by Pierce,Pickens,and Wandell Robinson as the next best guys with the physicall traits. I don't really have a problem taking a guard that high, but he can't have apparent flaws like Green. I think Green is going to be a good player, maybe probowl caliber.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Nick Caserio is the one who held out to get the maximum number of draft picks in the Watson trade to now he may have to trade them away for a coach who may end up forcing his resignation.

This definitely could end up sucking for him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Nick Caserio is the one who held out to get the maximum number of draft picks in the Watson trade to now he may have to trade them away for a coach who may end up forcing his resignation.

This definitely could end up sucking for him.
Umm No. He did not do that. Prior to the trade deadline, Nick said he wanted 3 (1s) 2 (2s) and (1) 3. He did not get that.

KarlK

Waterboy
Nick Caserio drinking game:

Do a shot everytime he says “quite frankly” or some variation of. You’ll be blacked out in 10 minutes.

I think he thinks it makes him sound “forthcoming” and “real”. What it actually does is make make him come across as even more of a phony than he already does with all his vapid corpspeak.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
NC hasn’t done enough to warrant keeping him around, clean house 100%. And for the love of god, stop trying to make this NE square peg fit in a round hole. Has the league not see enough evidence by now that their people go from gold to fools gold as soon as they leave?
What would've been enough in your mind to keep him around?

Texian

Hall of Fame
So the Texans just got their schlong caught in a ringer. The Texans will draft CJ Stroud and will be locked in another 5 years of misery.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I really like how Caserio addressed the Athletes 1st question. I can see Caserio working with Payton and Payton having final say so.