Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Texian

Hall of Fame
But if you're going to miss 100% of the shots you do take, maybe missing 100% of the shots you don't take is not that bad.
Caserio is confusing taking shots with throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks. Only problem is Caserio has boiled his spaghetti in oil and it has no sticking power.

"Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make” - Bill Veeck

I've found that the trading of late round draft picks are best used when trading up or back in the draft and those late round picks are needed to complete the deal. That's hard to do if you've already traded those picks away on players who can make the 90 man roster but not the 53 man roster.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Nick Caserio said:
You're going to miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
But if you're going to miss 100% of the shots you do take, maybe missing 100% of the shots you don't take is not that bad.
Sure wish they were more about actually evaluating talent and taking better high percentage shots than just throwing up these low percentage half court shots that costs them draft picks.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sure wish they were more about actually evaluating talent and taking better high percentage shots than just throwing up these low percentage half court shots that costs them draft picks.
Vinny used to rant that the Texans always took the cheapest option possible for their scouting department. They had Bobby Grier as director of pro personnel for years and they were notorious for being unable to consistently evaluate and hit on mid-to-low round draft picks.

When he had contacts in the Texans, Vinny had found out that the owner only really cared about marketable players in the first round, which has pretty much been the Texans M.O. for two decades (which is where his marketing company with a football division quote originated from). I'm not seeing that change much with Caserio if he's still using the legacy scouting department that he inherited from O'Brien and Smith.

A GM can only do so much when the scouting information fed to him is below average at best.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Vinny used to rant that the Texans always took the cheapest option possible for their scouting department. They had Bobby Grier as director of pro personnel for years and they were notorious for being unable to consistently evaluate and hit on mid-to-low round draft picks.

When he had contacts in the Texans, Vinny had found out that the owner only really cared about marketable players in the first round, which has pretty much been the Texans M.O. for two decades (which is where his marketing company with a football division quote originated from). I'm not seeing that change much with Caserio if he's still using the legacy scouting department that he inherited from O'Brien and Smith.

A GM can only do so much when the scouting information fed to him is below average at best.

Lippfert seems to be the main guy, if I interpret Caserio's words correctly (KEY).
He was with NC in NE.

Bazirgan was a holdover from Gaines/OB; he came from the Jets in 2018.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Ya just have to laugh....this organization can't even tank without looking like idiots. At first I was ok with NCs wheeling and dealing figuring he had a plan to tank and not roll picks out the door but he's done only one of those things and it's not keeping picks.......

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I will say it doesn’t look good when you cut a young WR you gave up a 5th for an old WR you signed off the street.

Either you were naive to the WRs conduct history or you may have over projected his abilities based on poor scouting and research. It just doesn’t look good. Either more to the story or that was another miss like the Ryan Finley trade.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I know someone is keeping count.

6th round pick - Ryan Finley
5th round pick - Anthony Miller

Any other players traded for draft picks that are no longer on the team?

Texian

Hall of Fame
I stopped listening after a few seconds when I heard "we're all accountable, we're all responsible, we all have to do a better job"

I just can't listen to that anymore. Heard it waaaaaaay too much from that organization.

Just give me a different way of saying you sucked and have to get better and I'll be good.
I made it to 1:42 before I had all I could stand and I couldn't stand no more. It was nothing but rhetoric. Nick Caserio saying a bunch of programmed words that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Same old BS that we have heard time and time again from him. Baffle them with BS. You know when Marc Vendermeer is conducting the interview it's pure unadulterated snow job, he's putting lipstick on a pig.

banned1976

sleeper mode
It should be getting tougher for anyone to give Caserio the benefit of the doubt, and the old "well, lets see how he does with a full draft" when he's already traded pieces of that "full draft" away and now has nothing to show for it.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I made it to 1:42 before I had all I could stand and I couldn't stand no more. It was nothing but rhetoric. Nick Caserio saying a bunch of programmed words that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Same old BS that we have heard time and time again from him. Baffle them with BS. You know when Marc Vendermeer is conducting the interview it's pure unadulterated snow job, he's putting lipstick on a pig.
He's mayor Larry Vaughn in Jaws trying to get some more suckers to go into the water. If the Texans get routed in NRG by the Patriots (and I think they will) that beach is going to empty fast.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
As much as I'm trying to give this dude a mulligan for this season, I just haven't seen any rhyme nor reason in anything he's done so far.

4 draft picks, and I don't care if they're 6th, 7th, or 50th round picks, there's still value in them, but 4 draft picks he's literally just thrown away. 4 players he's traded draft picks for and all 4 have been cut. 3 of those were players that they could have picked up on waivers for nothing, but decided to give away the picks instead. And that's starting to give me concerns of whether there's a talent evaluation problem or not. Can he evaluate talent or is he just going to continue throwing away draft picks every time he's wants to kick the tires on somebody?

The picks they gave up to move up 2 times to get Wallow, who's played 13 snaps in 4 games. All they gave up to get Collins, who even before he was injured had just 2 catches in the 45 snaps he played. And he's a guy that hasn't played football since 2019.

And of course, burning a 3rd round round pick on a huge project QB who's played 13 games in 4 years between high school and the NFL, then making him QB2 where he's 1 play away from being the starter.

None of that has made a whole lot of sense in my eyes, and it hasn't given me much confidence for when this mulligan period is over.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I thought Caserio fired a.bunch of scouts after the last draft.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Being conservative has gotten this franchise in the position it's in today
Making horrible trades, poor cap decisions, and questionable draft picks are what has gotten this franchise in the position it is today. Because of inept management. What we do not know is if the era of inept management is over. We can hope it's over. But, we don't know if it's over.

banned1976

sleeper mode
As much as I'm trying to give this dude a mulligan for this season, I just haven't seen any rhyme nor reason in anything he's done so far.

4 draft picks, and I don't care if they're 6th, 7th, or 50th round picks, there's still value in them, but 4 draft picks he's literally just thrown away. 4 players he's traded draft picks for and all 4 have been cut. 3 of those were players that they could have picked up on waivers for nothing, but decided to give away the picks instead. And that's starting to give me concerns of whether there's a talent evaluation problem or not. Can he evaluate talent or is he just going to continue throwing away draft picks every time he's wants to kick the tires on somebody?

The picks they gave up to move up 2 times to get Wallow, who's played 13 snaps in 4 games. All they gave up to get Collins, who even before he was injured had just 2 catches in the 45 snaps he played. And he's a guy that hasn't played football since 2019.

And of course, burning a 3rd round round pick on a huge project QB who's played 13 games in 4 years between high school and the NFL, then making him QB2 where he's 1 play away from being the starter.

None of that has made a whole lot of sense in my eyes, and it hasn't given me much confidence for when this mulligan period is over.
Mike Meltzer

Mike Meltser (@MikeMeltser) Tweeted:
While not necessarily having a big long-term impact, the trades for Ryan Finley, Anthony Miller, and the restructuring of Shaw Lawson’s contract are transactions on par with Bill O’Brien-as-GM

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Mike Meltzer

Mike Meltser (@MikeMeltser) Tweeted:
While not necessarily having a big long-term impact, the trades for Ryan Finley, Anthony Miller, and the restructuring of Shaw Lawson’s contract are transactions on par with Bill O’Brien-as-GM
Click bait.

This guy doesn’t know Bill O’Brien type of transactions. I wish Bill O’Brein only missed on 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Tunsil Trade
Hopkins Trade
Draft day trades - Jalen Strong and others.
Draft misses- Davenport and others

That’s Bill O’Brein stuff. And that’s why this franchise is a mess.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Click bait.

This guy doesn’t know Bill O’Brien type of transactions. I wish Bill O’Brein only missed on 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Tunsil Trade
Hopkins Trade

….don’t forget the horrible contract extensions or how the Osweiler debacle bit the team in the arse.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Making horrible trades, poor cap decisions, and questionable draft picks are what has gotten this franchise in the position it is today. Because of inept management. What we do not know is if the era of inept management is over. We can hope it's over. But, we don't know if it's over.
What we do know is Caserio will have the cap cleaned up soon

We hope he can draft well and hit on the Derrick trade.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
What we do know is Caserio will have the cap cleaned up soon

We hope he can draft well and hit on the Derrick trade.
I believe ESPN mentioned the Texans would be entering the 2022 with 33M in cap space. They didn’t put an exact number on it but the article mentioned the Texans cap space would sky-rocket if they successfully trade Watson, Tunsil, and Cooks. That would mean mo’ cap money, younger players, and mo’ draft picks…..ingredients needed to initiate a nice rebuild.

I’d like to think the team could find some team to take Mercilus and Cunningham off the payroll. Give a couple of those prized RD6 and/or RD7 picks and I’d be counting the victories…..not to mention the cap money saved. The Texans and Caserio could be in a position to roll a lot of that new found cap space into the 2023 off-season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I know someone is keeping count.

6th round pick - Ryan Finley
5th round pick - Anthony Miller

Any other players traded for draft picks that are no longer on the team?
Ka’Dar Hollman - 7th
Ryan Izzo - 7th
Why are we trading low picks for these guys? Well there was competition for Miller from two other teams. And it was a 5-7 swap. But that's kind of beside the point.

When you're projected to go 0-17 a lot of guys won't volunteer to come here. So you have to force them to, by trading for their rights. Finley Caserio thought a good 3 who understands offenses and would've helped Mills will that, but who would also ensure losses. But Culley wanted a runner and Finley runs like Peyton Manning. So now Driskel will ensure we lose games instead, he just doesn't have the level of understanding that Finley does. Izzo got beat out.

Little secret about NFL. If you're #45 to #53 on the roster you can force your way out. It's simple, just do a Mallett. You'll get cut. You'll have to explain yourself through your agent to potential future teams, but it happens a lot.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I thought Caserio fired a.bunch of scouts after the last draft.
They parted ways with four late Feb/early March. They had a redundancy on the pro side and let Rob Kisiel move on. Caserio will spend a cycle with the remaining guys and a few new ones then reconfigure it again. They've got some guys who are on a GM track, so that may come into play but 2022 would be premature in my opinion.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Click bait.

Tunsil Trade
Hopkins Trade

Jaelen Strong was 100% on Rick. O'Brien was screaming for Tyler Lockett, literally, who would solve two problems: take top off defense and a plus returner. Rick traded up to draft Lockett but submitted it too early, giving Pete Carroll/SEA time jump the Texans for him. So there was Rick on the clock with nothing but his d!ck in his hand. So he forced the pick for a guy with the kind of backstory he liked to sell to the fans -- an absent or life challenged parent. Strong's dad died of leukemia when he was just 9, Rick loved stuff like that.

Davenport was also 100% Rick. O'Brien had an issue with his football character, but Rick liked his size & length. Davenport was that do as little as possible guy who was always at the back of the room wisecracking instead of learning.

This franchise is a mess because the QB wants to leave the scene of 30+ crimes, and the owner put Tommy Boy in charge.

Caserio is following the Patriots model in taking on a lot more injury risk than we have here maybe ever. We'll see how that works out in the long haul.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Why are we trading low picks for these guys? Well there was competition for Miller from two other teams. And it was a 5-7 swap. But that's kind of beside the point.

When you're projected to go 0-17 a lot of guys won't volunteer to come here. So you have to force them to, by trading for their rights. Finley Caserio thought a good 3 who understands offenses and would've helped Mills will that, but who would also ensure losses. But Culley wanted a runner and Finley runs like Peyton Manning. So now Driskel will ensure we lose games instead, he just doesn't have the level of understanding that Finley does. Izzo got beat out.

Little secret about NFL. If you're #45 to #53 on the roster you can force your way out. It's simple, just do a Mallett. You'll get cut. You'll have to explain yourself through your agent to potential future teams, but it happens a lot.
Miller I get. The others, Finley, Izzo and Hollman, you could have gotten them for nothing on waivers. And if the Jags or Jets, the only 2 teams in front of you on the waiver wire would have grabbed them first, oh well, you cut them anyway, so what does it matter? And you cut Finley before OTA's even started. Hollman and Izzo were both signed elsewhere after being cut from here, both cut again. Both are currently on practice squads somewhere. Finley? Not signed anywhere.

Instead, the Texans have no players and no picks in the whole ordeal. And again, I'm not saying 5th, 6th and 7th rounders make or break you here. It's the fact that those picks are basically thrown away, treated as no value at all, when you didn't need to let go of them at all. There was zero reason to give those picks away, especially when you're #3 on the waiver wire.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They parted ways with four late Feb/early March. They had a redundancy on the pro side and let Rob Kisiel move on. Caserio will spend a cycle with the remaining guys and a few new ones then reconfigure it again. They've got some guys who are on a GM track, so that may come into play but 2022 would be premature in my opinion.
This is bothersome to me.

Last year was the yr to cleanup this mess. I guess it's going to take longer to take out the trash than I thought. Taking out the trash includes the scouting staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texian

Hall of Fame
This is bothersome to me.

Last year was the yr to cleanup this mess. I guess it's going to take longer to take out the trash than I thought. Taking out the trash includes the scouting staff.
Most prudent new GMs would have cleaned house in the scouting department right after the draft. They would have gotten their house in order ricky tic to start to do it their way starting with spring ball.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Most prudent new GMs would have cleaned house in the scouting department right after the draft. They would have gotten their house in order ricky tic to start to do it their way starting with spring ball.
Agreed,

Like I said, I dont agree with everything Caserio is doing. What worries me is not some of the things that bother you, because I'm willing to give Caserio 2-3 yrs to give us his vision of what the franchise should be.

What worries me is (forgetting about Easterby) I cant believe they didn't clean house in the scouting dept. Unless BOB ignored his scouting dept. Which I fully believe could've happened. Problem is I dont know this to be the case, so I would've cleaned house totally.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I cant believe they didn't clean house in the scouting dept.
You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You've got 12 to over 20 in scouting depts, some like a huge room and others think that's too much noise. We went from 17 including assistants to 14. Turning out 4 guys is not small change.

We've got two guys who absolutely will interview for future GM gigs in Liipfert and Ritcher, some think Bazirgan will as well but I'm not so sure. Caserio brought Ronnie McGill in from NE and he seems impressed with Mozique McCurtis.

Like in playcall terminology, there are specific different scouting 'languages.' Texans have been using a similar scouting language to NE, so less turnover required based on that. And as with players, you develop scouts over the years. So the only way to see how someone is developing into what you're looking for is to see it in person over time. So you live with it for a draft cycle and make changes as needed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You've got 12 to over 20 in scouting depts, some like a huge room and others think that's too much noise. We went from 17 including assistants to 14. Turning out 4 guys is not small change.

We've got two guys who absolutely will interview for future GM gigs in Liipfert and Ritcher, some think Bazirgan will as well but I'm not so sure. Caserio brought Ronnie McGill in from NE and he seems impressed with Mozique McCurtis.

Like in playcall terminology, there are specific different scouting 'languages.' Texans have been using a similar scouting language to NE, so less turnover required based on that. And as with players, you develop scouts over the years. So the only way to see how someone is developing into what you're looking for is to see it in person over time. So you live with it for a draft cycle and make changes as needed.
Believe it or not, this post has changed my opinion.

How many Foxboro scouts have been here over the last 3 yrs? I dont know what went wrong, but they've got to be much better than what's been going on over the last 3 yrs or this franchise is going to be so screwed.