Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
80% missed tackle rate? This contradicts what I heard on 610 that Lopez had a 60% run stop effectiveness, the best in the league.
1 tackle, 4 missed tackles is where the 80% number comes from. The run stop effectiveness may very well be good, but that doesn't necessarily mean is getting it with making tackles.

BTW, Football Outsiders has the Texans ranked 29th in adjusted line yards, which takes into account tackles for loss, gains of 0-4 yards, 5-10 and 11+, basing it on down and distance, situation, opponent, and shotgun vs. under center. Texans are also ranked 32nd in 2nd level yards, and 26th in open field yards.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That number doesn’t seem updated. If Kirksey has played 208 snaps on defense the average should be 69.3 not 65. We’ll see if its updated after the week 3 slate has been played out.
Maybe they won't have an update until after all the games on Sunday (and Monday night)

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I don't know what it all means, but there's something to consider here:

Justin Reid’s pff grade is currently 69.3

Is he a fringe starter/backup level player in his two games this season?

Christian Kirksey is 60.6

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That number doesn’t seem updated. If Kirksey has played 208 snaps on defense the average should be 69.3 not 65. We’ll see if its updated after the week 3 slate has been played out.
I believe those numbers are only offensive play.
It doesn't include the ST snaps.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Justin Reid’s pff grade is currently 69.3

Is he a fringe starter/backup level player in his two games this season?

Christian Kirksey is 60.6

Your favorite players often look good to you. :):texflag:
Also, 69.3 is right close to 70

Texian

Hall of Fame
I rue the day we start doing things like the Lions.

Time will tell. Personally I think I like the philosophy. Target your players, get your players. Move up, move down as needed to get the guys you want. Work the draft, don't wait on the draft.

Again, I like this. He essentially turned this into an expansion team, giving it a solid foundation on which to build. The alternative, building it on draft picks & UDFA, making it the youngest team in the league... or basically a college team.

The goal is to win games. We'll see who gets to the playoffs first. The Texans, or the Lions, or the Jets, or the Jaguars.
I don't see it as doing things like the Lions as much as I see it as doing things like Belichick and Jimmy Johnson. You know taking the draft picks you have and parlaying those picks in to more picks and more players. You know the keys to building a successful team is to have more draft picks and being able to draft more players than your competition, not less.

Solid Foundation??? You now have a coaching staff that will be gone in a year or two and a roster that will experience more than a 50% turnover in 2 years or less. That is NOT a definition of a solid foundation in my book. In fact it is the opposite. That is being counter productive. That is management without any goals or objectives. That is flying by the seat of your pants because you have no clue as to what you're doing.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Guys like Blacklock, Greenard, Lopez, Omenehu?
More younger guys instead of too many vets.
The more you have, the better the chance to find a little diamond.
Obviously, they need to have the eye for talent in the first place.
And do a good job developing them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You know the keys to building a successful team is to have more draft picks and being able to draft more players than your competition.
No. I don’t know that. They are important for sure, but I wouldn’t say they are “the keys”

Solid Foundation??? You now have a coaching staff that will be gone in a year or two and roster that will experience more than a 50% turnover in 2 years or less.
We don’t know either of those to be true.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I don't see it as doing things like the Lions as much as I see it as doing things like Belichick and Jimmy Johnson. You know taking the draft picks you have and parlaying those picks in to more picks and more players. You know the keys to building a successful team is to have more draft picks and being able to draft more players than your competition.

Solid Foundation??? You now have a coaching staff that will be gone in a year or two and roster that will experience more than a 50% turnover in 2 years or less. That is NOT a definition of a solid foundation in my book. In fact it is the opposite. That is being counter productive. That is management without any goals or objectives. That is flying by the seat of your pants because you have no clue as to what you're doing.
That’s a lot of opinion and assumptions you’re trying to present as facts.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No. He was a trade from the OB GM era that took picks away from the Caserio era.

Caserio can’t use picks to rebuild a team that he doesn’t have.

Those picks were spent.

You can’t say Caserio used those picks on Tunsil to rebuild.

Cause he didn’t.

That’s the point.
Cut him.
NC will have lots of money to help pay for the rebuilt.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Cut him.
NC will have lots of money to help pay for the rebuilt.
You are smarter than that response. I take it you are frustrated right now.

NC did something similar. He restructured his contract. It probably did free up some money in future years.

To write checks you have to have a bank account. Caserio fixed the bank.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No. He was a trade from the OB GM era that took picks away from the Caserio era.

Those picks were spent.

Cause he didn’t.

That’s the point.
Now, supposedly, if Watson can be trade, it.could bring a boat load of picks.
Wny would NC have them for free?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You are smarter than that response. I take it you are frustrated right now.

NC did something similar. He restructured his contract. It probably did free up some money in future years.

To write checks you have to have a bank account. Caserio fixed the bank.
No, the restructuring did not free up money for the future.
It's the opposite from it.
NC is kicking the can down the road.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Those picks were spent.

Cause he didn’t.

That’s the point.
NC traded Roby for a third and a sixth.
Why should he have those picks for free?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
NC traded Roby for a third and a sixth.
Why should he have those picks for free?
I thought about your train of thought and started to respond and then thought why in the he** would I want to do that to myself.

Texans Bull will soon figure out that you're not a rational thinker and being right at all costs is what's most important to you. Good thing is all of the trash that you love will be taken out by next offseason and then maybe we can have an honest discussion on where the Caserio is at that point of his rebuild.

Until then and probably even after then you will continue to move the goalposts because you will never admit you could be wrong about anything. Much less something about football. At some point the time investment just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I thought about your train of thought and started to respond and then thought why in the he** would I want to do that to myself.

Texans Bull will soon figure out that you're a rational thinker and being right at all costs is what's most important to you. Good thing is all of the trash that you love will be taken out by next offseason and then maybe we can have an honest discussion on where the Caserio is at that point of his rebuild.

Until then and probably even after then you will continue to move the goalposts because you will never admit you could be wrong about anything. Much less something about football. At some point the time investment just isn't worth it.
Let's stay with the task at hand, shall we.

Both you and Texan Bull are are at odds with each other but you guys united because of NC.

You wanted Tunsil.
You said at the time of the trade that it's worth it and more.

So let's revisit the trade and you tell me how you assign the worth.

Texans gave up:
The 26th pick in the 2020 draft.
The third pick in the 2021 draft.
The third pick in the second round of the 2021 draft (36th overall).

You complete the deal, and like I said, assign the value between players and draft picks for both teams and we can continue this discussion.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Both you and Texan Bull are are at odds with each other but you guys united because of NC.

You wanted Tunsil.

Texans gave up:

You complete the deal, and like I said, assign the value between players and draft picks for both teams and we can continue this discussion.
Wrong

About Texans Bull and Caserio/Myself.

I liked the Tunsil trade at the time because I thought a well protected Sexual Predator would translate into wins. I was wrong, but luckily I wont have to discuss the Pervert with you after next offseason.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Wrong

I liked the Tunsil trade at the time because I thought a well protected Sexual Predator would translate into wins. I was wrong, but luckily I wont have to discuss the Pervert with you after next offseason.
Stay with the task at hand, won"t you?

And @TexansBull
You can chime in at any time.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Wrong

So you think Tunsil is worth at least a 1st and 2nd round pick?

That goes for you too, @TexansBull

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Why would you want to cut a pro bowl LT who's only 27 yrs old? Those are the type of guys you should want to be on your team. He's just entering his prime.
Well… if we cut our pro bowl LT that would improve the likelihood of getting a higher draft pick. Where we can have the opportunity to draft a player that will hopefully be a pro bowl LT! Am I “tanking” right?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

You wanted Tunsil.

Texans gave up:

Wrong

I don’t know why you think Steel and myself are at odds. Please elaborate.

I agree with Steel’s about the Tunsil trade. I think we did get wins from the trade (Playoffs KC) but last year was an implosion because HWSNBN actions that caused Hopkins to be traded away. Compounding that with OB was finally too much.

In terms of assigning value to a player and pick - there is no point to continuing the discussion. I don’t know anyone who will follow your logic or rationale. NC didn’t make the trade for Tunsil and he didn’t use the picks in his draft even though Tunsil is on his team. You saying Tunsil is on the team so NC used any of his draft picks on him isn’t going to happen.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Look, the amount of picks was probably one RD1 pick to many and not sewing up the details to a long term Tunsil extension before the trade was consummated showed OB’s ignorance.

I’m not opposed to signing him to a long-term extension and I’m not opposed to moving him before the trade deadline or in the 2022 off-season provided the return is solid…..maybe 4 picks over 2022 and 2023.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don’t know why you think Steel and myself are at odds. Please elaborate.

I agree with Steel’s about the Tunsil trade. I think we did get wins from the trade (Playoffs KC) but last year was an implosion because HWSNBN actions that caused Hopkins to be traded away. Compounding that with OB was finally too much.

In terms of assigning value to a player and pick - there is no point to continuing the discussion. I don’t know anyone who will follow your logic or rationale. NC didn’t make the trade for Tunsil and he didn’t use the picks in his draft even though Tunsil is on his team. You saying Tunsil is on the team so NC used any of his draft picks on him isn’t going to happen.
So Tunsil came free?
Or we can just say, OK, NC got a free franchised LT but he doesn't have the first and second round pick this year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No we can’t say that.

Because the franchise left tackle cost him the draft picks this year in a deal he didn’t do.

Why is this hard?
So you think NC can do better with the first and second pick than to get a ready-made franchised LT?

Can you guarantee that?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
But he had all the draft picks.
I don't know how many times I've said Tunsil was the 1st and 2nd round picks.
With any luck, NC will have some compensatory picks next year.
And did the Texans get an extra pick or two for hiring minority coaches?
No we can’t say that.

Because the franchise left tackle cost him the draft picks this year in a deal he didn’t do.

Why is this hard?
So you think NC can do better with the first and second pick than to get a ready-made franchised LT?

Can you guarantee that?

You are trying to change the argument. I have stayed on topic, you are not. I don’t play those games.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You are trying to change the argument. I have stayed on topic, you are not. I don’t play those games.
Never mind that.
The facts remains that NC didn't have the first two picks and that he has a franchised LT for free.

That franchise LT didn't appear out of nowhere.
He's on the team only because OB dealt the picks to acquire him.
Even you and Steelb "signed off" on the deal.

wildroot

Rookie
So Tunsil came free?
Or we can just say, OK, NC got a free franchised LT but he doesn't have the first and second round pick this year.
No we can’t say that.

Why is this hard?
I think ya'll are having two different arguments.
Was Tunsil free are far as NC is concered? Was the Tunsil trade worth what we gave up for him?

Two different questions that have two separate answers.

As long as NC was without his 1st and 2nd round picks this year, then you have to say the trade cost him in his 1st draft, it cost him dearly.

Was the trade worth it? Was it worth getting a top LT for the draft picks given up? That'll always be up for debate.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think ya'll are having two different arguments.
Was Tunsil free are far as NC is concered? Was the Tunsil trade worth what we gave up for him?

Two different questions that have two separate answers.

As long as NC was without his 1st and 2nd round picks this year, then you have to say the trade cost him in his 1st draft, it cost him dearly.

Was the trade worth it? Was it worth getting a top LT for the draft picks given up? That'll always be up for debate.
Well, both steelb and TBull said the trade was worth it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, both steelb and TBull said the trade was worth it.
That's not what I said at all. I thought the trade was worth it at the time. Turns out I was wrong. Now keeping Tunsil is the smart thing to do.

But when another GM trades 1-2 rd draft picks, you cant say the new GM has a full compliment of draft picks. That statement is flat out dumb and certainly appears to be agenda driven.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
That's not what I said at all. I thought the trade was worth it at the time. Turns out I was wrong. Now keeping Tunsil is the smart thing to do.

But when another GM trades 1-2 rd draft picks, you cant say the new GM has a full compliment of draft picks. That statement is flat out dumb and certainly appears to be agenda driven.
Bringing the opinion of the trade is a deflection from his original statement. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I said NC has a free franchised LT but doesn't have the first and second round pick in the draft.
What else do you want?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Bringing the opinion of the trade is a deflection from his original statement. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
I consider LT the first and second round pick.
You can say that he's not. That's literally correct.
It doesn't take away the fact that NC didn't have to worry about the LT position, which both of you know is the most important besides QB.
Tunsil is a guaranteed established starter.
The draft picks are not.