Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What is it about this fan base that they can never be happy with anything the team does.
Because someone states facts about what the team does? The Texans turned $15 million of 2021 into a bonus. This increases the cap hit for Tunsil by $5 million for each of the 2022 seasons. That's a fact.

What does that mean? The cap should be going up, so maybe that $5 million isn't that big of a deal. Though no one has shown me what the Super Bowl chances are for a OT with a $26 million cap hit.

It's the why the team pushed the cap hit forward. Cutting Watt, Martin, and Fulton saved a lot of cap space. That went to signing and trading for 20+ players. Most of whom have spent the majority of their careers as special teams players. Most on one year deals. Now, they still need to find cap room for the draft pool.

Why not pickup cheaper, younger players? Push the cap savings forward into the future. When the team is closer to competing and looking for impact players to fill key positions. I and know one else has said Caserio is putting the Texans into future cap hell. What is being said is that the he is not putting the team into the best possible cap position. And his return is dubious, at best.

Every move should be judged on its own merits. And the criticism of the GM criticism is weak and baseless. "Don't be negative", "Why can't everyone be happy". We're not sheep. I'm looking at the reality as I see it, not accepting the pablum of the organization's mantra about "T-E_A_M". I still see a ton of dysfunction in this organization, and Caserio has put himself smack dab in the middle ofc it.

frethack

Rookie
The only possible negative is if he were looking to exit the team early via trade. He is almost assuredly locked in for his proration period, and his deal is short anyway...almost like the previous GM had no idea what he was doing.

Remember way back when AJ had restructured so much that he couldn't get traded...only negative for the player.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree Tunsil didn’t have to do this & the only benefit he gets is getting his money now & not in installments.

I also agree this only helps the Texans in the very short term as Tunsil’s contract is very short.

That said, if the Texans value a long term commitment to a player, I don’t think it hurts as much as some want to believe. It was speculated Tunsil didn’t want to lock in a long term deal so close to an expected jump in the salary cap increase. Then Covid happened.

I’m sure the Texans are looking beyond Tunsil’s current contract & plan to sign him again regardless.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Again, I'm a fan of Caserio's approach to this off-season. I like his proactivity b/c it will show the NFL that the Texans are changing their approach. I think.....I can safely assume that if Caserio had been the GM a few years back, Derrick Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, and yes, even Jadaveon Clowney are still Texans since Brown and Hopkins could've been handled in the same way Tunsil was in securing his services. I don't think Cal or OB had to write either player an extension since a simple guarantee of the final years on their existing contracts would've done the trick. Throw in a upfront signing bonus and reduce their cap hit over the final years of the contracts.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Honestly I have mixed feelings. If we look like last year’s keystone cops, then I’m going to commission pink soap.

If the sum of the whole is competing for a playoff spot in December, I’ll be a fan.
Playoff spot might be a stretch considering we are coming off a 4-12 season, have no draft picks till round 3 and have no idea what will be happening with are franchise QB. I think this is Caserio’s rebuild strategy, sign a bunch of fairly cheap one year deals on vets, see who still has some life left in them and then next year let contracts run out on the dead weight and extend the ones that showed they can still play.

Then when you start bringing in a bunch of rookies they have some vets to learn from. The way the team played last year would you want those players to teach your newly drafted rookies?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Honestly I have mixed feelings. If we look like last year’s keystone cops, then I’m going to commission pink soap.

If the sum of the whole is competing for a playoff spot in December, I’ll be a fan.
I think you are expecting too much. The schedule looks rough with a lot of teams being way more competitive next year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get one of the harder rated strengths of schedule.

San Fran, Miami, Jets, and Jags are probably the ones we would be competitive in. Rams, Colts and Cardinals have made off season acquisitions to be tougher. Chargers QB is looking to be the real deal. Everyone else were playoff teams.

Texans being in the first inning of a rebuild need another season. Have you heard about the Watson drama?

This draft and next draft will be telling.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Again, I'm a fan of Caserio's approach to this off-season. I like his proactivity b/c it will show the NFL that the Texans are changing their approach. I think.....I can safely assume that if Caserio had been the GM a few years back, Derrick Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, and yes, even Jadaveon Clowney are still Texans since Brown and Hopkins could've been handled in the same way Tunsil was in securing his services. I don't think Cal or OB had to write either player an extension since a simple guarantee of the final years on their existing contracts would've done the trick. Throw in a upfront signing bonus and reduce their cap hit over the final years of the contracts.
Most teams with new GM and HC inheriting a bad-to-less-than-mediocre team often bring in a lot of new players.

Like I said, Gruden had 32 or 33 new players on his actual game day roster.
(We don't know yet how many of these new guys will be on the Texans' opening day roster).
Unless some players are going to be traded/cut, I see at least 13 players left from last year with at least another dozen in contention.
I'm not sure we'll see more new players on the final roster than the Raiders in 2018 when Gruden and Mayock first got there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

You better commission the pink soap.

They aren't making the playoffs next yr.

I cant see them winning 6 games at the most. More likely they win 3 games than 6 games.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I cant see them winning 6 games at the most. More likely they win 3 games than 6 games.
Or so I thought & I was fine with that.

But he's spending money we should be rolling into next year's cap & 2023's cap.

Really, it shouldn't cost this much to win three games. & I don't think he's finished. That money he cleared up with Tunsil's restructure, I bet he eats through that before the draft.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think it’s already gone. Over the cap has the Texans at $7.9M under after the Tunsil restructure, and Tyrod Taylor is not listed yet.
Maybe the Texans get some relief due to the suspended players?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Other than right before the season starts, are there any rules or other dates that have to meet cap requirements? If not, why is Taylor not on the books yet? He hasn’t put pen to paper?

michaelm

vox nihili
Maybe the Texans get some relief due to the suspended players?

I've been wondering about the cap relief ramifications if Watson is suspended for the season.
My gut feeling is that Caserio has been approaching free agency like he knows he's got Watson's salary coming offer the books.
Although I'm not really sure if it works that way

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Other than right before the season starts, are there any rules or other dates that have to meet cap requirements? If not, why is Taylor not on the books yet? He hasn’t put pen to paper?
I think there was a date last week where teams had to be under the cap, counting top x number of players.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've been wondering about the cap relief ramifications if Watson is suspended for the season.
My gut feeling is that Caserio has been approaching free agency like he knows he's got Watson's salary coming offer the books.
If any, I would think the relief would be retroactive & rolled over.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I was thinking about Roby and Fuller.

Texian

Hall of Fame
“Bill Belichick the personnel man badly let down Bill Belichick the coach. In the last six drafts, the Patriots have used first, third, third, fourth, sixth, sixth, seventh and seventh-round picks on TE and WR. In 2020, 5 were gone, and the remaining three caught 38 balls. The Patriots, by virtually any measure, had the worst collection of offense skill players in football. ”

FMIA: Free-Agency Millions Or NFL TV Billions, Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Simply Is 'In This Business To Win' - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
“Bill Belichick the personnel man badly let down Bill Belichick the coach. In the last six drafts, the Patriots have used first, third, third, fourth, sixth, sixth, seventh and seventh-round picks on TE and WR. In 2020, 5 were gone, and the remaining three caught 38 balls. The Patriots, by virtually any measure, had the worst collection of offense skill players in football. ”

FMIA: Free-Agency Millions Or NFL TV Billions, Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Simply Is 'In This Business To Win' - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)
“We had the second or third-most cap room at the start of free agency,” owner Robert Kraft told me Friday. (It was third, at $69 million.) “This year, instead of having 10 or 12 teams competing for most of the top players, there were only two or three. And in my 27 years as owner, I’ve never had to come up with so much capital before.”

“It’s like investing in the stock market,” Kraft said. “You take advantage of corrections and inefficiencies in the market when you can, and that’s what we did here. We’ll see. Nothing is guaranteed, and I’m very cognizant of that. But we’re not in the business to be in business. We’re in this business to win.”

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If that’s how you feel, so be it. For me, if the dude is still in the building, I don’t trust him any further than I can throw him. A couple of moves recently, the re-signing of David Johnson for one, makes me believe he’s still got some say, that Caserio doesn’t have total control of personnel.

Doesn’t make it so, just my gut.
Yep. There is absolutely nothing in Easterby's background that would indicate that he's qualified in any sort of way to be the Executive Vice President of Football Operations of an NFL franchise.

I'm not sure why any Texans fan would devalue that position and act like an unqualified charlatan can do it. These are billion dollar entertainment companies, and a position like that has power and responsibility that require much more than being a camp counselor, preacher, or character development whatever.

But it is what it is. Cal loves him some Jack and has now promoted him to a position that can shield the owner while he frogs his log playing video games in his office.
I'm beginning to think Easterby isn't the bad guy he's made out to be ..... which was a result of the Watson debacle.
Easterby could expose Watson's deviant behavior .... and in a way did so in the infamous call to Momma Watson who then took the issue to ownership believing that it was Hopkins who was the bad influence .... That's why Watson wanted him gone.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm beginning to think Easterby isn't the bad guy he's made out to be ..... which was a result of the Watson debacle.
Easterby could expose Watson's deviant behavior .... and in a way did so in the infamous call to Momma Watson who then took the issue to ownership believing that it was Hopkins who was the bad influence .... That's why Watson wanted him gone.
Yep. Not gonna' lie. . .I've thought about this angle a lot, as well. Based on what we knew last year and the mention of Instagram women and subsequent problems it caused with Nuk, the O'Brien speech when they traded him, and the mamas involved, I'm sensing there has been something funky going on in that locker-room for a while.

As mentioned previously, "Executive Vice President of Football Operations" could just be a title created to give Easterby some latitude. Seen through that prism, it does start to explain some of the cryptic and often mysterious quotes we've read from various parties.

With last week's news, I'm just not convinced the reality that we have been given is actually the reality of anything at all. I don't regret anything that I've said because it was sincere and based on what we thought we knew at that point in time, but until we know more details, I'm backing off of Easterby until all the dust settles. I never ever expected something as sad and depraved as the stories we are now hearing about Watson. Most of our takes were about football operations and silly things like front office power struggles. Who could have predicted that Watson might be an alleged sexual predator when his carefully crafted image was so freakin' wholesome.

And I'm just reading tea leaves, which isn't worth much. Maybe none of these things are connected. But, it sure seems reasonable to start to connect the dots of the past couple of years.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Yep. Not gonna' lie. . .I've thought about this angle a lot, as well. Based on what we knew last year and the mention of Instagram women and subsequent problems it caused with Nuk, the O'Brien speech when they traded him, and the mamas involved, I'm sensing there has been something funky going on in that locker-room for a while.

As mentioned previously, "Executive Vice President of Football Operations" could just be a title created to give Easterby some latitude. Seen through that prism, it does start to explain some of the cryptic and often mysterious quotes we've read from various parties.

With last week's news, I'm just not convince the reality that we have been given is actually the reality of anything at all. I don't regret anything that I've said because it was sincere and based on what we thought we knew at that point in time, but until we know more details, I'm backing off of Easterby until all the dust settles. I never ever expected something as sad and depraved as the stories we are now hearing about Watson. Most of our takes were about football operations and silly things like front office power struggles. Who could have predicted that Watson might be an alleged sexual predator when his carefully crafted image was so freakin' wholesome.

And I'm just reading tea leaves, which isn't worth much. Maybe none of these things are connected. But, it sure seems reasonable to start to connect the dots of the past couple of years.
If this is the case then that should give us hope that the ownership and FO aren’t as incompetent as what we (or maybe I) perceived them to be.

Caserio and to a lesser extent but Easterby included may be the best suited to handle the lead up to the crisis, the fall out and rebuild.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If this is the case then that should give us hope that the ownership and FO aren’t as incompetent as what we (or maybe I) perceived them to be.

Caserio and to a lesser extent but Easterby included may be the best suited to handle the lead up to the crisis, the fall out and rebuild.

That was kinda my point .... they aren't as incompetent as they were made to appear which was largely driven by Watson's position that the team somehow wronged him ... and him wanting out because of that.

I had asked in the past , what exactly did they do to harm Watson or what they did to "damage the relationship" ..... not one realistic answer , just "they are stupid" , "they traded Hopkins" , "He deserves to play for a winner" , "they lied to him (about input)".

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
"What do you think Cal? $156M?"

"Did we ever clear up that 'thinking every masseuse on Instagram wants to touch his peepeee thing?"

"About as well as we could. He's got repeat customers, so I guess he's got it figured out."

"Good... good. OK, $156M, but we're only going to guarantee $97M & I insist on a 'conduct detrimental clause."

"Well, he already stipulated $110M, a NTC, & he's not doing a 'conduct detrimental clause.'"

"Close enough, do it."

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The bad guy I think he is stems mainly from being the dude hand in hand with OB in some of the worst player personnel moves ever. I don’t really care how they came to the decision to trade Hopkins, but I do care about what they got for an elite All Pro when they decided to trade him. I care about the dumb money given out to mediocre at best players, and the dismantling of this team to where very few of the “starters” could legitimately do so anywhere else. I don’t like the influence he had on the GM and HC search or how any of that went down.

Sure, it doesn’t help that he comes off to me like a snake oil salesman or that he’s got the McNair’s in a trance, but it’s his personnel decisions that ultimately move the needle for me. And since he’s been in the building, there haven’t been many good moves made, and the bad ones just aren’t bad, they’re god awful.

Couldn’t care less about his religion, politics, his stand up act sermons, Nick at Night or what color and how many fishes he has. I care about football.

Now, regarding Watson, I have no doubts the Texans knew about at least some of his behavior. Maybe not the alleged forcing himself stuff, but I can get behind the Pastor trying to address it with Deshaun and him getting sideways about it. He gets pissed, mind your business about my personal life, and decides he ain’t playing here no more. I can buy that and have no beef with the Pastor if that were the case. I mean, it’s really looking like Watson has some serious issues. Not that he does or that he’s guilty, it’s just looking bad so far.

So, I’m not blaming the Pastor at all for all this going down with Watson. I blame him for all the shit personnel wise that he’s already done and looks to me like he still has a hand in.

Last edited:
Lol 😂

I would say if easterby’s role is to influence player to be decent human beings.

I am all for it

for goodness sakes ahem you heard what some players and probably coaches were doing?

I’m I bet the rot is deeper than just Watson,why in hell would a coach recommend a private masseuses to players when all you got to do is walk 100 ft and get one.

frethack

Rookie
Lol

I would say if easterby’s role is to influence player to be decent human beings.

I am all for it

for goodness sakes ahem you heard what some players and probably coaches were doing?

I’m I bet the rot is deeper than just Watson,why in hell would a coach recommend a private masseuses to players when all you got to do is walk 100 ft and get one.
My understanding is that it was Quincy Avery, who was misreported as a Texans coach.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
"What do you think Cal? $156M?"

"Did we ever clear up that 'thinking every masseuse on Instagram wants to touch his peepeee thing?"

"About as well as we could. He's got repeat customers, so I guess he's got it figured out."

"Good... good. OK, $156M, but we're only going to guarantee $97M & I insist on a 'conduct detrimental clause."

"Well, he already stipulated $110M, a NTC, & he's not doing a 'conduct detrimental clause.'"

"Close enough, do it."
Over simplified.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nick….. you have not made moves last 24 hours, you okay man????
Conley
The bad guy I think he is stems mainly from being the dude hand in hand with OB in some of the worst player personnel moves ever. I don’t really care how they came to the decision to trade Hopkins, but I do care about what they got for an elite All Pro when they decided to trade him. I care about the dumb money given out to mediocre at best players, and the dismantling of this team to where very few of the “starters” could legitimately do so anywhere else. I don’t like the influence he had on the GM and HC search or how any of that went down.

Sure, it doesn’t help that he comes off to me like a snake oil salesman or that he’s got the McNair’s in a trance, but it’s his personnel decisions that ultimately move the needle for me. And since he’s been in the building, there haven’t been many good moves made, and the bad ones just aren’t bad, they’re god awful.

Couldn’t care less about his religion, politics, his stand up act sermons, Nick at Night or what color and how many fishes he has. I care about football.

Now, regarding Watson, I have no doubts the Texans knew about at least some of his behavior. Maybe not the alleged forcing himself stuff, but I can get behind the Pastor trying to address it with Deshaun and him getting sideways about it. He gets pissed, mind your business about my personal life, and decides he ain’t playing here no more. I can buy that and have no beef with the Pastor if that were the case. I mean, it’s really looking like Watson has some serious issues. Not that he does or that he’s guilty, it’s just looking bad so far.

So, I’m not blaming the Pastor at all for all this going down with Watson. I blame him for all the shit personnel wise that he’s already done and looks to me like he still has a hand in.
Easterby wasn't the personnel guy and mgmt demanded Hopkins be traded. There was nothing Easterby could do about this. This was totally on Janice/Cal and they took the best deal they could get at the time. I would'e held onto DW4 for a yr and then traded him.

I still think Easterby should've been fired because he was part of 51-7. But I gotta admit Easterby isn't looking so bad right now and the medias attempts to smear his name has failed. I wish the media would give DW4 the Easterby treatment. Guilty until proven innocent. I just guess that proves the media's double standards. Like we didn't already know this from the Astros saga.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
My understanding is that it was Quincy Avery, who was misreported as a Texans coach.

Avery is not on the Texans payroll. He's "Watson's personal QB coach".

I think it was reported that he recommended at least two of them.

there had to be conduct detrimental right? I mean this is just basics right on every contract?
Yes , its standard in every NFL contract .... league mandate. There is no "I'm not signing that"

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

See that’s the thing though did Easterby have any say in personal decisions? I know he was there when OB was making deals like he was playing with Monopoly money but what do we have that shows Easterby had any power to stop him? This will come across as me defending Easterby and I’m not, if someone can show me something other than “he was in the building” as proof I’ll be the first to say Easterby should be fired or at least sent to his office and we’ll call you when it’s time for a pep rally.

In a traditional team set up either the GM the and HC will figure out the roster and make moves based on what they both see. Sometimes the GM might say “that’s to much I don’t care how much you like him we’re not paying that” or the HC will say “I’ve got to have that player to make this work so whatever you have to do acquire him / keep him”. But what about when the GM and HC are the same person so there is no second voice?

Can you point to one team, any team, that made some stupid trades, draft picks and/or contracts where afterwards every said “The executive VP of yada yada should have stepped in and stopped him” because I can’t. We say the GM should have stopped it or the HC should have spoke up or even the owner should have stepped in but not some random front office guy hat no one is evens sure what they do.

As far as the GM and HC search what don’t you like about it? We know most didn’t like it because of the rift we thought it caused with Watson but taking that out what didn’t you like? They interviewed a lot of coaches and their choice, while unexpected, seemed to be just that, their choice. GM wise anyone that thought Ca wasn’t hiring Caserio if at all possible hasn’t been paying attention last 3 years.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Michael Vick got his salary for the year he got caught dog fighting. The rest of it was voided.

I believe.

I think the Texans knew of the masseuse thing and happy endings. The supposed rape - I am not sure they knew.
Watson’s contract is written differently than Vick’s plus Watson technically isn’t on his new contract yet. He’s gotten the signing bonus but Texans can go after that pretty easily if he is convicted.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
See that’s the thing though did Easterby have any say in personal decisions? I know he was there when OB was making deals like he was playing with Monopoly money but what do we have that shows Easterby had any power to stop him? This will come across as me defending Easterby and I’m not, if someone can show me something other than “he was in the building” as proof I’ll be the first to say Easterby should be fired or at least sent to his office and we’ll call you when it’s time for a pep rally.

In a traditional team set up either the GM the and HC will figure out the roster and make moves based on what they both see. Sometimes the GM might say “that’s to much I don’t care how much you like him we’re not paying that” or the HC will say “I’ve got to have that player to make this work so whatever you have to do acquire him / keep him”. But what about when the GM and HC are the same person so there is no second voice?

Can you point to one team, any team, that made some stupid trades, draft picks and/or contracts where afterwards every said “The executive VP of yada yada should have stepped in and stopped him” because I can’t. We say the GM should have stopped it or the HC should have spoke up or even the owner should have stepped in but not some random front office guy hat no one is evens sure what they do.

As far as the GM and HC search what don’t you like about it? We know most didn’t like it because of the rift we thought it caused with Watson but taking that out what didn’t you like? They interviewed a lot of coaches and their choice, while unexpected, seemed to be just that, their choice. GM wise anyone that thought Ca wasn’t hiring Caserio if at all possible hasn’t been paying attention last 3 years.
He's still butthurt over the Hopkins trade.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

What I know is that OB said ‘he and Jack’ numerous times on numerous decisions. And I know nearly all of those decisions went from not very good to flat out disastrous. Who actually did the who and the what, who knows? To what degree, how much input, banging on the table, the Pastor had, I don’t know, but according to OB, the Pastor was a part of all of it. And he still is. All of those moves, trade compensation, contracts, throwing away draft picks, they all were the doing of someone(s) who wasn’t very good at the personnel game. We were already well aware of OB’s bad eye for talent, so maybe it all is more on him. That I don’t know. Like I said, to what degree anyone had say, who knows?

As for the GM and HC search, I know they’ve been after Caserio for awhile, but the Pastor is the guy who brought on the tampering accusations to kill that the 2nd time around, then Gaine gets fired 18 months into a 5 year contract, and the whole thing blows up.

Then there’s the reports that they had a candidate about to ink a deal when the Pastor said let’s go get Nick. Yeah, we don’t know if that’s real, but we don’t know it’s not either.

Now, Caserio is a 1st time GM, out from under the shadow of Belichick, where his decisions alone determine his success, thus his employment here, and the coach he gets is a guy whose been in the league 27 years that has never been mentioned with the words head coach ever? That’s how you want to try and start your road to success? Yeah, yeah, we don’t know jack about what Culley will be just as we don’t know whether Bieniemy or Daboll or any of those guys would have been a complete flop or not. But I do know who I’d rather hitch my wagon to if it’s my neck on the line.

Now, I don’t have the proof that any of that was the Pastor, just as anyone else has no proof it wasn’t, but there’s a track record in place of everything that has happened since that man has been in the building. That, to me, casts a giant shadow of doubt surrounding this dude, and therefore my personal trust in the man does not exist.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I agree it is hard to put a finger on Easterby's true failures. I think he was running the cap, so I blame some bad contracts on him. He was working with BOB who I blame for personnel. Once BOB was fired and we know Easterby was acting GM, there were no more disasters but the damage was done. I know that time of year you are just churning the bottom of the roster but again stupidity stopped. I want him gone, but the longer this goes, I mainly blame him for the cap due to bad contracts, and pushing some good people like Olsen and Gaine out of the building

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
What I know is that OB said ‘he and Jack’ numerous times on numerous decisions. And I know nearly all of those decisions went from not very good to flat out disastrous. Who actually did the who and the what, who knows? To what degree, how much input, banging on the table, the Pastor had, I don’t know, but according to OB, the Pastor was a part of all of it. And he still is. All of those moves, trade compensation, contracts, throwing away draft picks, they all were the doing of someone(s) who wasn’t very good at the personnel game. We were already well aware of OB’s bad eye for talent, so maybe it all is more on him. That I don’t know. Like I said, to what degree anyone had say, who knows?
Keep in mind OB was also the guy that said that he had a say in picking people and then a few months later when things were blowing up said he coaches the players he's given. I'm not saying you are wrong but OB did have a history of changing his story the resulting arguments on this board are well documented. Either way the Texans have also said numerous times that Easterby is not involved with personnel decisions so if we are going to take OB word at that time isn't it fair to take the Texans word now? Seeing as the amount of proof we have for both is, as you said, none.

As for the GM and HC search, I know they’ve been after Caserio for awhile, but the Pastor is the guy who brought on the tampering accusations to kill that the 2nd time around, then Gaine gets fired 18 months into a 5 year contract, and the whole thing blows up.
That tampering charge was BS and I still kind of wish the Texans had fought it because by the leagues own rules that stipulation in Caserio's contract was illegal. If you want proof of that go look how the NFL changed the rules on that sort of thing after it died down. Gaine was fired for HR reasons.

Then there’s the reports that they had a candidate about to ink a deal when the Pastor said let’s go get Nick. Yeah, we don’t know if that’s real, but we don’t know it’s not either.
Technically you are correct we don't know its not real but it doesn't make sense either. I don't know how much experience you have with the cooperate world but when when a company is preparing to hire a CEO or President, which is what the GM position is the equal to, there is no offering a contract and then taking it back unless some major scandal happens. IF the Texans did this they could be open to a lawsuit for dealing in bad faith because the person can claim they had to turn down other offers. Hiring a person on this level is vastly different then hiring a regular worker where its basically a interview or two, quick background check then a yes or no. Again they can't just make an offer then say "sorry we changed our minds." with consequences.

Now, Caserio is a 1st time GM, out from under the shadow of Belichick, where his decisions alone determine his success, thus his employment here, and the coach he gets is a guy whose been in the league 27 years that has never been mentioned with the words head coach ever? That’s how you want to try and start your road to success? Yeah, yeah, we don’t know jack about what Culley will be just as we don’t know whether Bieniemy or Daboll or any of those guys would have been a complete flop or not. But I do know who I’d rather hitch my wagon to if it’s my neck on the line.
Daboll was never going to leave Clemson, I have no idea why people got it in their heads that he would. He's making more there than an NFL team would pay him, he has complete control of the program, the boosters and Alumi throw money and gifts at him and even down to never having to buy his own drinks in the local bar again. EB was the darling of the media and we all were told how hot a prospect he was but he has been interviewed by every HC needy team for the last 3 years and none would hire him. Not sure what it is about him that people act like when multiple teams won't hire him the issue is with those teams and not with the one thing that is the common denominator.

As far as Culley goes yeah I have concerns to and I didn't want a first time HC after the problems we had with OB but it is what it is. I don't hold his 27 years against him because most of those years were before the Rooney rule and afterwards people used his age against him. What I do know is that several highly respected people have said it was well deserved and a long time coming.

Now, I don’t have the proof that any of that was the Pastor, just as anyone else has no proof it wasn’t, but there’s a track record in place of everything that has happened since that man has been in the building. That, to me, casts a giant shadow of doubt surrounding this dude, and therefore my personal trust in the man does not exist.
Fair enough but tell me, what all good things were happening with the Texans before he got there?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I agree it is hard to put a finger on Easterby's true failures. I think he was running the cap, so I blame some bad contracts on him. He was working with BOB who I blame for personnel. Once BOB was fired and we know Easterby was acting GM, there were no more disasters but the damage was done. I know that time of year you are just churning the bottom of the roster but again stupidity stopped. I want him gone, but the longer this goes, I mainly blame him for the cap due to bad contracts, and pushing some good people like Olsen and Gaine out of the building
Olsen I can't speak to but he didn't push Gaine out of the building, Gaine pushed himself out.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Daboll was never going to leave Clemson
Daboll - Buffalo, not Dabo - Clemson

Fair enough but tell me, what all good things were happening with the Texans before he got there?
Granted, the Texans haven’t been a well run organization for their entire history, but it’s been really, really bad the last 3, 4 years.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Daboll - Buffalo, not Dabo - Clemson

Granted, the Texans haven’t been a well run organization for their entire history, but it’s been really, really bad the last 3, 4 years.
My mistake, I always get those two confused in which case fair point. I agree it has gotten bad last 3 or 4 years but Easterby wasn't hired till April of 2019 and wasn't made VP of whatever till Jan. of 2020. I'm not saying he's not played a part in things but it was really, really bad before he got there. In all honestly, and people will really hate this, you can make an argument that him getting there started moving things down a different path. I won't say better because we don't yet know but at least different.