Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

If that’s how you feel, so be it. For me, if the dude is still in the building, I don’t trust him any further than I can throw him. A couple of moves recently, the re-signing of David Johnson for one, makes me believe he’s still got some say, that Caserio doesn’t have total control of personnel.

Doesn’t make it so, just my gut.

Yep. There is absolutely nothing in Easterby's background that would indicate that he's qualified in any sort of way to be the Executive Vice President of Football Operations of an NFL franchise.

I'm not sure why any Texans fan would devalue that position and act like an unqualified charlatan can do it. These are billion dollar entertainment companies, and a position like that has power and responsibility that require much more than being a camp counselor, preacher, or character development whatever.

But it is what it is. Cal loves him some Jack and has now promoted him to a position that can shield the owner while he frogs his log playing video games in his office.

I agree that he has influence but we'll never know exactly where and how and I think it's built up in a lot of people's minds so that it just gets attributed to every thing that happens with the franchise. And we won't know the extent of this influence. It's all conjecture from biased reporters.

I've made it abundantly clear I think all Patriots are cancer and would get rid of them from the entire organization (and from the entire NFL) if I could.

I just feel like it's become a thing to say. Like saying "crazy weather we're having huh!" at this point.

Yep. There is absolutely nothing in Easterby's background that would indicate that he's qualified in any sort of way to be the Executive Vice President of Football Operations of an NFL franchise.

I'm not sure why any Texans fan would devalue that position and act like an unqualified charlatan can do it. These are billion dollar entertainment companies, and a position like that has power and responsibility that require much more than being a camp counselor, preacher, or character development whatever.

But it is what it is. Cal loves him some Jack and has now promoted him to a position that can shield the owner while he frogs his log playing video games in his office.

Serious question but what does an Executive Vice President of Football Operations do on the Texans? I ask because even though it’s a very impressive title is there actual power and responsibilities that come with the title? Not the power that we think he has but real decision making power that can be traced right back to Easterby’s desk like how trading Hopkins for a bag of peanuts and giving away stupid contracts was on OB and all these FA signing is on Caserio.

Serious question but what does an Executive Vice President of Football Operations do on the Texans? I ask because even though it’s a very impressive title is there actual power and responsibilities that come with the title? Not the power that we think he has but real decision making power that can be traced right back to Easterby’s desk like how trading Hopkins for a bag of peanuts and giving away stupid contracts was on OB and all these FA signing is on Caserio.

How do you interpret his job description?

Nick has done very well so far........ been here since beginning and no FA period did we do this well interms of value and security. How his handling this Watson situation is awsome too. Watsons agent's wanted to go to the realm of public opinion so now that troubles comes about his gonna let the relm of public opinion judge Watson too.

Nick is just too awsome. Best GM weve ever had.

Nick has done very well so far........ been here since beginning and no FA period did we do this well interms of value and security. How his handling this Watson situation is awsome too. Watsons agent's wanted to go to the realm of public opinion so now that troubles comes about his gonna let the relm of public opinion judge Watson too.

Nick is just too awsome. Best GM weve ever had.
Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Caserio. Your son definitely has his work cut out for him.

Good question. It could just be a fancy title created to give him some latitude to conduct his own investigations into things considering recent events. I'm honestly starting to wonder if this week has revealed the true reasons why Easterby was hired to begin with. I'd imagine this stuff is probably beyond anything that the McNairs can handle on their own. (Speculating here, but maybe O'Brien ended up being an enabler instead of the hard nosed guy that they thought could change things?).

I've looked at other NFL teams for the same title for comparison. I'm not seeing that specific title with other teams (which is why I'm wondering if it was created for Easterby). There are many Directors of Football Operations, but each franchise is a separate corporation so they have different front office setups.

Culley mentioned that Easterby also handles logistics (my professional background), but beyond that and the culture aspect mentioned on the Texans website, I have no idea what his actual role is with this franchise.

All that said, I've been hard on the dude, but I am the first to admit that I don't have insider info, much less all the facts. So I'm just gonna' back off a bit until the dust settles. Clearly something much deeper and troubling has infected this organization, and this week's drama has confirmed quite a bit of the 'insider' information that some folks on this forum have brought up.

And if I've been totally wrong, I'll eat my crow. I don't dig in when I know that I'm wrong.

I think Caserio and Culley have opened every position to competition......and that's what should happen when a team is coming off a 4 win season. Every player signed, traded for, or retained knows that 2021 could be their season to shine if they want to have a better chance at a NFL career. This is like watching the first season all over again......only with a better GM, coaching staff, and maybe hungrier players competing for starting jobs and roster spots. If anything, I think 2021 will be damm entertaining.

I think Caserio and Culley have opened every position to competition......and that's what should happen when a team is coming off a 4 win season. Every player signed, traded for, or retained knows that 2021 could be their season to shine if they want to have a better chance at a NFL career. This is like watching the first season all over again......only with a better GM, coaching staff, and maybe hungrier players competing for starting jobs and roster spots. If anything, I think 2021 will be damm entertaining.

That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually have a good season. The offense will be some what the same. Unfortunately Watson won’t be at the helm making those off script plays.

From what I’ve read out 18 seasons Lovie has helped formed 13 top 10 defenses. ( that report was generated back in 2015). I’m very curious to see if he could build one here in Houston. I know ole Speedy doesn’t think much of the scheme that’s if the talent is equipped for it. But I believe they have picked up a few decent players who can fit into his scheme. Add in the fact of what you stated, they’ll be playing with a chip on their shoulders ( hopefully) attempting to get another contract.

Special teams:We added a few dynamic returners and few other players who have played a lot in that specific area.

This should be interesting and entertaining. Would be sweet if they exceeds our expectations and more.

"Entertaining", yes, that's for sure no matter what they do. I hope they get this miserable ship turned around and headed in the right direction despite my pessimism.

90 players come to camp every single year. Why is it that just because the Texans are signing anything that moves right now, do you all of a sudden think there’s competition? There’s always competition.

Now, we’ll see how the talent evaluation has changed, better or worse, I don’t think it could get worse, but there’s very few of these 400 signings that have ever done much in this league.

That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually have a good season. The offense will be some what the same. Unfortunately Watson won’t be at the helm making those off script plays.

From what I’ve read out 18 seasons Lovie has helped formed 13 top 10 defenses. ( that report was generated back in 2015). I’m very curious to see if he could build one here in Houston. I know ole Speedy doesn’t think much of the scheme that’s if the talent is equipped for it. But I believe they have picked up a few decent players who can fit into his scheme. Add in the fact of what you stated, they’ll be playing with a chip on their shoulders ( hopefully) attempting to get another contract.

Special teams:We added a few dynamic returners and few other players who have played a lot in that specific area.

This should be interesting and entertaining. Would be sweet if they exceeds our expectations and more.
There is a better chance of the Texans going 0 - 16 than 8 -8.

90 players come to camp every single year. Why is it that just because the Texans are signing anything that moves right now, do you all of a sudden think there’s competition? There’s always competition.

Now, we’ll see how the talent evaluation has changed, better or worse, I don’t think it could get worse, but there’s very few of these 400 signings that have ever done much in this league.

I would rather take a chance on low cost veterans that maybe were highly regarded coming into the league but didn't pan out with the team they were drafted with than low round/undrafted rookies who have no experience with NFL training camps/games.

Someone like Derek Rivers for example was a highly regarded small school prospect drafted in the 3rd round but due to injuries not talent hasn't met expectations. If healthy he's the type of prospect with a chip on his shoulder and experience knowing what the league expects of him that can be a hit for this team. Caserio has signed a lot of players, not all of them will hit but all of them will be hungry and if given the opportunity they just might be a diamond in the rough.

There is a better chance of the Texans going 0 - 16 than 8 -8.
I think that would be the case regardless of the GM. The Texans could have traded Watson for a bundle of high draft picks, the 2021 season was still going to stink for them.

Nick Caserio said before this FA period began, he used a baseball metaphor of hitting some singles and doubles while building depth. While I think he's done that, continuing with his metaphor I believe they've hit into some double plays, ground outs, and weak pop-flies. There will plenty of players the Texans acquired this past week that won't make the 53.

Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby put the Texans in a deep hole. Watson has added some depth to that hole. It's going to take a few years to dig out. Anyone expecting a "good" season of near .500 record is likely going to be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
Anyone expecting a "good" season of near .500 record is likely going to be pretty disappointed.
Apparently some folks are. Why I posted my comments. You're also assuming newly signed players are better than players they replace. Caserio cut Anger the P. That resulted in 800K in dead cap. They signed Cam Johnson to replace him paying Johnson more than they paid Anger. PFF has Anger graded 10% higher than Johnson.

Last edited:
Can you build an average team with below average cost players?

Nick Caserio's moves so far...

FREE AGENTS (27)
Desmond King CB
Terrance Mitchell CB
Tremon Smith CB/KR
Tavierre Thomas CB
Terrence Brooks FS
Christian Kirksey LB
Joe Thomas LB
Tae Davis LB
Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB
Derek Rivers OLB
Kamu Grugier-Hill OLB
Jordan Jenkins OLB
Vincent Taylor DT
Maliek Collins DT
Cameron Johnston P
Tyrod Taylor QB
Mark Ingram RB
Phillip Lindsay RB
Pharaoh Brown TE
Paul Quessenberry TE
Justin Britt C
Justin McCray OL
Cole Toner OG
Alex Erickson WR
Chris Moore WR
Donte Moncrief WR
Andre Roberts WR/KR

TRADED FOR (4)
Shaq Lawson DE
Ryan Finley QB
Ryan Izzo TE
Marcus Cannon RT

RETAINED/RESTRUCTURED
Cornell Armstrong CB
Vernon Hargreaves CB
Buddy Howell RB
Dontrell Hilliard RB
David Johnson RB

I think that would be the case regardless of the GM. The Texans could have traded Watson for a bundle of high draft picks, the 2021 season was still going to stink for them.

Nick Caserio said before this FA period began, he used a baseball metaphor of hitting some singles and doubles while building depth. While I think he's done that, continuing with his metaphor I believe they've hit into some double plays, ground outs, and weak pop-flies. There will plenty of players the Texans acquired this past week that won't make the 53.

Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby put the Texans in a deep hole. Watson has added some depth to that hole. It's going to take a few years to dig out. Anyone expecting a "good" season of near .500 record is likely going to be pretty disappointed.

And on the flip side , big if they do win 8 or more. Those fans along with the fans that didn’t think they would, will be extremely excited.

FREE AGENTS (27)
Desmond King CB
Terrance Mitchell CB
Tremon Smith CB/KR
Tavierre Thomas CB
Terrence Brooks FS
Christian Kirksey LB
Joe Thomas LB
Tae Davis LB
Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB
Derek Rivers OLB
Kamu Grugier-Hill OLB
Jordan Jenkins OLB
Vincent Taylor DT
Maliek Collins DT
Cameron Johnston P
Tyrod Taylor QB
Mark Ingram RB
Phillip Lindsay RB
Pharaoh Brown TE
Paul Quessenberry TE
Justin Britt C
Justin McCray OL
Cole Toner OG
Alex Erickson WR
Chris Moore WR
Donte Moncrief WR
Andre Roberts WR/KR

TRADED FOR (4)
Shaq Lawson DE
Ryan Finley QB
Ryan Izzo TE
Marcus Cannon RT

RETAINED/RESTRUCTURED
Cornell Armstrong CB
Vernon Hargreaves CB
Buddy Howell RB
Dontrell Hilliard RB
David Johnson RB
If successful, the Texans would become a pretty good example of Moneyball in the NFL and Caserio would be compared to Billy Beane.

It looks like Caserio subscribes to the principle that teams with decent starters and backups do better than teams with great starters and bad substitutes. You know most of these new signees will be cut. They mean to throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.

FREE AGENTS (27)
Desmond King CB
Terrance Mitchell CB
Tremon Smith CB/KR
Tavierre Thomas CB
Terrence Brooks FS
Christian Kirksey LB
Joe Thomas LB
Tae Davis LB
Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB
Derek Rivers OLB
Kamu Grugier-Hill OLB
Jordan Jenkins OLB
Vincent Taylor DT
Maliek Collins DT
Cameron Johnston P
Tyrod Taylor QB
Mark Ingram RB
Phillip Lindsay RB
Pharaoh Brown TE
Paul Quessenberry TE
Justin Britt C
Justin McCray OL
Cole Toner OG
Alex Erickson WR
Chris Moore WR
Donte Moncrief WR
Andre Roberts WR/KR

TRADED FOR (4)
Shaq Lawson DE
Ryan Finley QB
Ryan Izzo TE
Marcus Cannon RT

RETAINED/RESTRUCTURED
Cornell Armstrong CB
Vernon Hargreaves CB
Buddy Howell RB
Dontrell Hilliard RB
David Johnson RB

Are the reports correct that Laremy Tunsil just restructured in a manner that adds 10M+ to the cap?

Yes it’s true. Team player

This move makes absolutely no difference to him, except for possibly guaranteeing him more money next season (if any of it wasn't already guaranteed) and maybe getting it sooner as a signing bonus vs a game check. Just a bookkeeping reshuffle of funds. Not sure how this makes him a team player any more or less than he already was or wasn't.

This move makes absolutely no difference to him, except for possibly guaranteeing him more money next season (if any of it wasn't already guaranteed) and maybe getting it sooner as a signing bonus vs a game check. Just a bookkeeping reshuffle of funds. Not sure how this makes him a team player any more or less than he already was or wasn't.

Freed up 10 million in cap space and 2022 they will have more money to work with. He didn’t have to agree to those terms to help them out.

Last edited:
Freed up 10 million in cap space and 2022 they will more money to work with. He didn’t have to agree to those terms to help them out.

Did you even read my message? The terms in these restructures ALWAYS work in the player's favor. Would be stupid for him not to agree. Requires exactly 0 sacrifice or being a team player.

Did you even read my message? The terms in these restructures ALWAYS work in the player's favor. Would be stupid for him not to agree. Requires exactly 0 sacrifice or being a team player.

Actually I’m not reading where it guaranteed him any more money.

Keep in mind if the 66 million of the original contract he already had 50 million guaranteed. You are right in that this doesn’t cost him any money per say but it does extend how long it will be before he gets the money. In the sense that he was willing to work with them and help them out of a bad cap situation, something the whole league is in, it was a team player move on his part.

What I liked most about it though is it showed he at least intends to play out his contract with the Texans and that the current issues the team is having is not causing him to want to split town or give less than his all.

Actually I’m not reading where it guaranteed him any more money.

I said possibly. I don't know the details of his contract, but if any of the salary that was converted to signing bonus wasn't guaranteed it is now.

Keep in mind if the 66 million of the original contract he already had 50 million guaranteed. You are right in that this doesn’t cost him any money per say but it does extend how long it will be before he gets the money. In the sense that he was willing to work with them and help them out of a bad cap situation, something the whole league is in, it was a team player move on his part.

Incorrect. Converting base salary to signing bonus can only speed up how fast you're paid, unless both parties agree to just keep the original payout schedule, i.e. get it in 16 game checks during the season or any other schedule instead of one big check at the time of signing. The only thing that is getting extended is how this money is accounted for in terms of salary cap hit. The cap hit can now be spread over the remainder of the contract instead of counting against the cap this season.

What I liked most about it though is it showed he at least intends to play out his contract with the Texans and that the current issues the team is having is not causing him to want to split town or give less than his all.

I don't see how it means that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a team player. I'm just saying contract restructures where a player's base salary is converted to a signing bonus require absolutely no sacrifice on the part of the player and are always beneficial to the player in some way or multiple ways. And the team benefits by freeing up some cap space.

I said possibly. I don't know the details of his contract, but if any of the salary that was converted to signing bonus wasn't guaranteed it is now.

Incorrect. Converting base salary to signing bonus can only speed up how fast you're paid, unless both parties agree to just keep the original payout schedule, i.e. get it in 16 game checks during the season or any other schedule instead of one big check at the time of signing. The only thing that is getting extended is how this money is accounted for in terms of salary cap hit. The cap hit can now be spread over the remainder of the contract instead of counting against the cap this season.

I don't see how it means that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a team player. I'm just saying contract restructures where a player's base salary is converted to a signing bonus require absolutely no sacrifice on the part of the player and are always beneficial to the player in some way or multiple ways. And the team benefits by freeing up some cap space.

What is it about this fan base that they can never be happy with anything the team does. Texans freed up cap space and Tunsil worked with them on that but of course Texan fans being Texan fans we have to point out how much it sucks.

Fine you win, it’s just a reshuffling of money and is nothing to be excited about. Never mind that it’s something that Texan GMs haven’t figured how to do for the last 10 years or that it greatly helps our cap situation.

Tell me this though, if this is such an easy move and is easy thing for a player to agree to then how do teams ever find themselves in cap hell? Seems to me they can just keep reshuffling contracts and keep kicking it down the road until they hit a year with extra money. Why was it when Brady use to do this it was always praised and talked about as an example of him helping the team? Why is it Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Stamford and all the other big money contracts never did this?

What is it about this fan base that they can never be happy with anything the team does. Texans freed up cap space and Tunsil worked with them on that but of course Texan fans being Texan fans we have to point out how much it sucks.

Fine you win, it’s just a reshuffling of money and is nothing to be excited about. Never mind that it’s something that Texan GMs haven’t figured how to do for the last 10 years or that it greatly helps our cap situation.

Tell me this though, if this is such an easy move and is easy thing for a player to agree to then how do teams ever find themselves in cap hell? Seems to me they can just keep reshuffling contracts and keep kicking it down the road until they hit a year with extra money. Why was it when Brady use to do this it was always praised and talked about as an example of him helping the team? Why is it Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Stamford and all the other big money contracts never did this?

Mahomas did it for his team as well.

I don't think it sucks. It's just really... nothing.

This is done all the time, by just about every team, every offseason. You must not have been paying attention.
Tell me this though, if this is such an easy move and is easy thing for a player to agree to then how do teams ever find themselves in cap hell? Seems to me they can just keep reshuffling contracts and keep kicking it down the road until they hit a year with extra money.
It IS an easy move, but should be used sparingly and only with players that you think will play out their contract. If for some reason a player is cut or traded, all of that prorated signing bonus cap gets accelerated to the current year (or 2 years in case of post June 1 transactions) and can contribute to a team ending up in cap hell.
Why was it when Brady use to do this it was always praised and talked about as an example of him helping the team? Why is it Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Stamford and all the other big money contracts never did this?

Several times Brady did more than just reshuffle cap hits. He took actual pay cuts or signed below market value deals to help sign other players. Eventually he got tired of being asked to do that and went and got paid in TB.

I don't think it sucks. It's just really... nothing.

This is done all the time, by just about every team, every offseason. You must not have been paying attention.

It IS an easy move, but should be used sparingly and only with players that you think will play out their contract. If for some reason a player is cut or traded, all of that prorated signing bonus cap gets accelerated to the current year (or 2 years in case of post June 1 transactions) and can contribute to a team ending up in cap hell.

Several times Brady did more than just reshuffle cap hits. He took actual pay cuts or signed below market value deals to help sign other players. Eventually he got tired of being asked to do that and went and got paid in TB.
I agree.
Tunsil is getting $15.16M in the bank NOW (soon as he signs on the dotted line) instead of having to wait for each of his game check to arrive.
By account of cash in hand, he's already gained at least on inflation.
Secondly, we don't really know what the term in his "guaranteed" money, whether it's for injury only, or also for other things like skill, conduct, etc.
It he's like the guy with a child waiting to born in this example, he could lose money:

Having money in his pocket now clearly has an advantage, a HUGE one.

Back