Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

No I don't know this. You say that he is unhappy and wants out well I'm asking what evidence there is of that. Ok he said there needs to be a culture change well they've had that, OB was fired and a whole new regime brought in. He said there needs to be one guy who is the leader and his vision is followed, again they have that now, its Caserio who will hire the HC that best fits his vision. So all the things Watson was asking for and saying was needed the Texans are doing.

OB didn't do things the "Patriot way' in fact he was far to nice and gave guys to many chances. No way in hell Martin or Mercilous get those kind of contracts on the Pats and Clowney would have been made to play on his franchise tag while BB ran him into the ground.

What I don't understand is to be as high on Watson as you have been are you saying he is the type of player that would sign a new super high dollar contract with a team and talk about loyalty and being a leader and then want out the first time he didn't get his way? Nothing I have seen in him suggest that seeing as just a year ago he was defending OB. CAT posted this up little bit up the thread but it breaks it down nicely.

Now could he be wanting a trade, yeah of course but if so he's not the kind of player I thought he was and I'm not sure I even want him frankly.

I like DW a lot but I gotta say I'm over the pouting or at least when it comes off as that. I wish he would squash some of the crap that comes out if it's not true. Just say you're happy, don't want to be traded and I can't wait to get back to football work. Done.

That isn't the way I read it.

“We just need a whole culture shift,” Watson said Monday. “We just need new energy. We just need discipline. We need structure. We need a leader so we can follow that leader as players.”

It sounds more to me, that Watson is in agreement with Watt as far as there being a number of players in the locker room not giving effort. What I read out of Watsons comments, is that he believes the team needs someone in charge who is going to make the rules, and enforce them. Someone who comes to work enthusiastically, and someone who through that enthusiasm energizes the team. This to me.....sounds like the culture shift Watson speaks of. Not whether or not a GM/HC belongs to this tree or that tree.

And this little tidbit: “We’ve all got to be on the same page,” Watson said, via ESPN. “There’s too many different minds, too many different ideas and too many people thinking they have this power, and it’s not like that. We need someone that stands tall, and this is who we follow and this is the way it goes.” goes hand in hand with the quote above. Watson is directly saying this organization has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, i.e. NO REAL LEADER (in coaching staff and office).

Watson has never said "Don't hire people from Boston".

All of that is generalized, obvious things that the team needs. The problem with your interpretation is that you’re attaching specific meaning to what he’s saying...your meaning and that’s just not at all appropriate.

I think Watson too sharp to send out a post about Georgia for example then not explain/clarify when he realizes later it could be interpreted to be directed at his new boss.

The cryptic tweets are done on purpose and serve as mirrors to these guys, designed to get people to reveal themselves to them.

Specificity has the potential to bring criticism. Criticism has the potential to effect your brand. If your brand is effected it has the ability to effect your money. No way in hell he would come out and say/explain something specific about something as controversial as the Jacob Blake situation. Hell, Omenihu posted something about it and then quickly deleted his tweet.

DW4 was 1 of MANY players who was out in the crowds during the George Floyd/Breonna Taylor global protests. He’s also never thrown anyone under the bus at the Texans org let alone the owner of the damn team; So just based on who DW4 is and has shown himself to be as a person, what’s more likely....that the tweet is in relation to the Jacob Blake thing when some bad news just dropped on the case.........or the hiring of a guy that is coming here to help him be better and shown himself to be pretty damn good at his job?

You guys are just nuts and are running amuck with the conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's exactly how Belichick runs things. He can't do everything he does & have it any other way.

The only difference is that Belichick sits at the head of the table. Between everyone & the owner.

Our screwed up model had everyone reporting straight to McNair & Bob (rip) wasn't very good at defining lanes & getting people to do their job.

I think you misunderstand my use of boardroom. Bob McNair had the GM and HC as equals, and he was the deciding factor should they ever reach an impasse.

NE still follows the old school power structure (with the GM/HC being one man, of course). Belichick only answers to Kraft, who never, ever gets involved with football operations (except for maybe Brady back in the day). There is no boardroom in NE. All information feeds to Belichick, who run the football operations like a dictator according to every source. Perhaps it's another reason why Caserio wanted out.

This is good news. No more voices in Cal's head. He needs to trust his GM. That's why he's paying the guy $5 million/year.

Then why did he text "Some things never change" which was copied by his QB guru?

So cryptic. I'm just not going to read between lines that do not exist. We literally have nothing else to clarify about his tweet at this point.

Jesus Christ.....

If you adjust the tinfoil hat toward Kirby Drive, you get better reception. :tinfoil:

The cryptic tweets are done on purpose and serve as mirrors to these guys, designed to get people to reveal themselves to them.

Specificity has the potential to bring criticism. Criticism has the potential to effect your brand. If your brand is effected it has the ability to effect your money. No way in hell he would come out and say/explain something specific about something as controversial as the Jacob Blake situation. Hell, Omenihu posted something about it and then quickly deleted his tweet.

DW4 was 1 of MANY players who was out in the crowds during the George Floyd/Breonna Taylor global protests. He’s also never thrown anyone under the bus at the Texans org let alone the owner of the damn team; So just based on who DW4 is and has shown himself to be as a person, what’s more likely....that the tweet is in relation to the Jacob Blake thing when some bad news just dropped on the case.........or the hiring of a guy that is coming here to help him be better and shown himself to be pretty damn good at his job?

Yep. I was critical of the cryptic-aspect of it, but I have no problem with him having opinions on whatever. I only cared as a fan because it did seem suspicious to tweet right after GM news was breaking. It wasn't until later that I learned it could have been other subjects, so at that point, I don't claim to know what's he's agitated about, but just criticized the vague message. Almost feels like asking your woman what's wrong when there is clearly something wrong and she says "nothing". lol

Ian Rapoport on 790 on Caserio: "I would say based on what I know about Nick Caserio, his background, the work he's done in New England, his reputation around the league, I think it is an excellent, excellent, excellent hire... A lot of teams have tried to hire him, he has resisted and wanted to stay put... He has a great reputation around the league... He brings everything you could bring as a GM from scouting prowess to knowledge of the cap to understanding value to knowing how to build a building to knowing what works in building a championship... Nick Caserio is one of the most qualified GM candidates we have seen in the last 10 years since I've been doing this, I think it is going to be an excellent hire."

Who has more power in the building, Jack Easterby or Nick Caserio? "Nick Caserio by a lot. Not my opinion, that is what I know."

"Caserio will be able to do what other GMs do: interview and recommend a HC to the owner, hope owner agrees."

Mentioned Brian Daboll, Robert Saleh, Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, and possibly Todd Bowles as guys they'll interview. "Usually coaching hires will happen from next week to the AFC/NFC championship games weekend."

I can't speak for Deshaun, but what gets me ticked off is that the team preacher who has no experience picked the GM. Caserio's resume looks pretty good but it sure seems like Easterbee is calling the shots. That is the same crap we went through with the King/GM/HC. The owner needs to stop getting lead around by the nose by these sharpies and start acting like he is the man. Maybe that has something to do with the lack of new culture being referred to.

More likely is he was refering to GM Nick Caserio. My opinion but just as valid as yours you nutty guy you! Here are two other pieces of info that in conjuction leads me to think as I do. I AM not saying Watson is a bad guy for tweeting either way it has been taken.

"Quincy Avery, Watson’s personal quarterback skills coach, quote-tweeted Watson and provided an arrow hitting the target for an emoji.
Watson also liked a tweet from a positive energy author, Jon Gordon, stating that “an organization that’s not connected at the top will crumble at the bottom.”

The timing of the like also coincided with the hiring of Caserio. He could have been talking about police departments, justice system etc. I just don't think he was. Why should he be shy about explaining it was about Blake? As you say he has been out in the crowds no mask no distancing supporting his agendas and he has stated he wants a new culture change for Texans so if about Jacobs or his girlfriend (saw that somewhere Yahoo I think) just say so.

I think his tweet has now been deleted with no eplanation which appears to be more a Caserio indicator.

I can't speak for Deshaun, but what gets me ticked off is that the team preacher who has no experience picked the GM. Caserio's resume looks pretty good but it sure seems like Easterbee is calling the shots. That is the same crap we went through with the King/GM/HC. The owner needs to stop getting lead around by the nose by these sharpies and start acting like he is the man. Maybe that has something to do with the lack of new culture being referred to.
absolutely nothing to support your comment. Caserio was wanted before Easterby as I posted before. E probably did want him and said so but the desire was from Cal.

More likely is he was refering to GM Nick Caserio. My opinion but just as valid as yours you nutty guy you! Here are two other pieces of info that in conjuction leads me to think as I do. I AM not saying Watson is a bad guy for tweeting either way it has been taken.

"Quincy Avery, Watson’s personal quarterback skills coach, quote-tweeted Watson and provided an arrow hitting the target for an emoji.
Watson also liked a tweet from a positive energy author, Jon Gordon, stating that “an organization that’s not connected at the top will crumble at the bottom.”

The timing of the like also coincided with the hiring of Caserio. He could have been talking about police departments, justice system etc. I just don't think he was. Why should he be shy about explaining it was about Blake? As you say he has been out in the crowds no mask no distancing supporting his agendas and he has stated he wants a new culture change for Texans so if about Jacobs or his girlfriend (saw that somewhere Yahoo I think) just say so.

I think his tweet has now been deleted with no eplanation which appears to be more a Caserio indicator.

Most of your explanation is a serious reach on your part .....but yes You are correct, your explanation could be just as valid....except in 1 key area. Your explanation doesn’t line up with who he has shown himself to be in any other walk of his life....that we know about anyway. Your explanation also doesn’t line up with how he has conducted himself as a professional either.

absolutely nothing to support your comment. Caserio was wanted before Easterby as I posted before. E probably did want him and said so but the desire was from Cal.
How do you know that to be a fact? If so, why would they hire Korn Ferry to do a GM search unless it was just a smokescreen? Please list the qualifications Easterby has to be the VP Football Ops other than having the same agent as Caserio. Easterby was the guy that spent the entire Super Bowl ring party at Kraft's house in discussions with Caserio. I realize it's not impossible McNair was the guy that originally wanted Caserio, but if he wasn't persuaded by Obrien & Easterby afterwards, why did they hire Gaine first and tamper second?

What we do know is he accomplished his goal of drawing attention to himself. That's what cryptic tweets are meant to do.

#Attentionwhore

How do you know that to be a fact? If so, why would they hire Korn Ferry to do a GM search unless it was just a smokescreen? Please list the qualifications Easterby has to be the VP Football Ops other than having the same agent as Caserio. Easterby was the guy that spent the entire Super Bowl ring party at Kraft's house in discussions with Caserio. I realize it's not impossible McNair was the guy that originally wanted Caserio, but if he wasn't persuaded by Obrien & Easterby afterwards, why did they hire Gaine first and tamper second?

Obviously McNair wanted Caserio very badly.

He made a 1st time GM the 3rd highest paid GM in the NFL. That proves to me Caserio was Cal's guy.

Most of your explanation is a serious reach on your part .....but yes You are correct, your explanation could be just as valid....except in 1 key area. Your explanation doesn’t line up with who he has shown himself to be in any other walk of his life....that we know about anyway. Your explanation also doesn’t line up with how he has conducted himself as a professional either.

We dont know what DW4 does in his private life. Except we do know he and Hopkins used to run the hoes hard. Mommas put a stop to that.

All I have learned so far is that IF Cal joined a cult and was thinking that maybe he should break free of the cult......

He would seek help from the cult appointed counselor's advice if he should leave or truly hand over all his belongings.

Hope it works out.....

I think you misunderstand my use of boardroom. Bob McNair had the GM and HC as equals, and he was the deciding factor should they ever reach an impasse.

NE still follows the old school power structure (with the GM/HC being one man, of course). Belichick only answers to Kraft, who never, ever gets involved with football operations (except for maybe Brady back in the day). There is no boardroom in NE. All information feeds to Belichick, who run the football operations like a dictator according to every source.
No, I understand exactly what you’re saying. In our Boardroom, McNair is on top.

In New England, Belichick is on top.

Belichick listens to everyone in his organization that should have an opinion on the matter, then makes a decision.

The McNairs tried to fill that role here, the way Jerry does in Dallas.

Nick had an opinion Belichick listened towhen he was in New England, so did Easterby, & the Offensive/Defensive coordinators.

January 8, 2018: Texans target two Patriots front office members for vacant general manager spot; New England declines interview requests

April 2, 2019: Texans hire Jack Easterby as Executive Vice President of Team Development

This is actually the third time the Texans tried to hire Caserio. The first time was when Bob McNair was still alive. I would not doubt that this had an influence on Cal's desire to hire him. Maybe Cal thought hiring Easterby would help that cause? And maybe it did?

No, I understand exactly what you’re saying. In our Boardroom, McNair is on top.

In New England, Belichick is on top.

Belichick listens to everyone in his organization that should have an opinion on the matter, then makes a decision.

The McNairs tried to fill that role here, the way Jerry does in Dallas.

Nick had an opinion Belichick listened towhen he was in New England, so did Easterby, & the Offensive/Defensive coordinators.

Well, Bob McNair set it up that way, but never had to actually get involved to settle a dispute, iirc. I figure he gave the old school method a try with Casserly, then changed it to something he felt more comfortable with, like a corporate boardroom. This has been elaborated on in interviews with him many years ago.

My main point was there is a change of power structure on Kirby. Caserio will be the man in charge of football operations. The head coach will answer to him, ala the traditional NFL power structure. It appears that Cal wants a strong GM to run his franchise, not two potential egos not in alignment the way it was with past HC/GM combos.

We dont know what DW4 does in his private life. Except we do know he and Hopkins used to run the hoes hard. Mommas put a stop to that.
giphy.gif

It is a fact that nothing supports your claim that Easterby selected Caserio. I have not said anything about Easterby's qualifications.

No bro. He’s got all the attention he can handle as a multi- million dollar star qb. The only reason why this tweet blew up the way it did is b/c of his 1000’s of followers watching his every move.

Which is why he put it out there like he did.

Some people feed off of attention.

My main point was there is a change of power structure on Kirby. Caserio will be the man in charge of football operations. The head coach will answer to him, ala the traditional NFL power structure.
I hope so. It looks that way.

But when Kubiak came it looked like Kubiak was that man & all things flowed through him. Then it changed.

Well, Bob McNair set it up that way, but never had to actually get involved to settle a dispute, iirc.
Exactly. He changed it to a model with him on top & seemed to fan flames instead of put them out.

I hope so. It looks that way.

But when Kubiak came it looked like Kubiak was that man & all things flowed through him. Then it changed.

Exactly. He changed it to a model with him on top & seemed to fan flames instead of put them out.

Kubiak got a snakeoil salesman a job.

A snakeoil salesman got Caserio his job.

Well, Bob McNair set it up that way, but never had to actually get involved to settle a dispute, iirc. I figure he gave the old school method a try with Casserly, then changed it to something he felt more comfortable with, like a corporate boardroom. This has been elaborated on in interviews with him many years ago.

My main point was there is a change of power structure on Kirby. Caserio will be the man in charge of football operations. The head coach will answer to him, ala the traditional NFL power structure. It appears that Cal wants a strong GM to run his franchise, not two potential egos not in alignment the way it was with past HC/GM combos.
Casserly pretty much had the run of the house because Bob had no clue as a brand new owner in the NFL. With one exception, Bob insisted David Carr would be the Texans first pick and face of his franchise. After a few years Bob began to feel his oats and moved the decision making to his office boardroom roundtable. The timeline and power structure is very similar to Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.

There's a lot of speculation going on, and it seems most of it is pessimistic in nature.

I'd like to speculate something more optimistic, if y'all will indulge me. (Who am I kidding, I don't care if y'all will indulge me lol).

What if, Cal views Caserio's broad range of front office experience as a way to hire one person and hand over all football decisions to him?
What if Cal thinks Caserio is the one guy that can take the reigns of this beast and run it, while he sips fine piña colada‘s and pretends to be Big Enos in the mirror?

Eh?

No, I haven't been drinking, in case you wondered

Ian Rapoport on 790 on Caserio: "I would say based on what I know about Nick Caserio, his background, the work he's done in New England, his reputation around the league, I think it is an excellent, excellent, excellent hire... A lot of teams have tried to hire him, he has resisted and wanted to stay put... He has a great reputation around the league... He brings everything you could bring as a GM from scouting prowess to knowledge of the cap to understanding value to knowing how to build a building to knowing what works in building a championship... Nick Caserio is one of the most qualified GM candidates we have seen in the last 10 years since I've been doing this, I think it is going to be an excellent hire."

Who has more power in the building, Jack Easterby or Nick Caserio? "Nick Caserio by a lot. Not my opinion, that is what I know."

"Caserio will be able to do what other GMs do: interview and recommend a HC to the owner, hope owner agrees."

Mentioned Brian Daboll, Robert Saleh, Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, and possibly Todd Bowles as guys they'll interview. "Usually coaching hires will happen from next week to the AFC/NFC championship games weekend."
They said the same things about Scott Pioli. Praise for Pioli dwarfed praise for Caserio. Pioli was the quintessential perfect can't miss GM candidate. I'm not sure anyone was more connected to Belichick than Pioli. As it turned out, like so many other Belichick admin assistants, Pioli was more of clerk than he was manager, regardless of his Patriots title.

By hiring former New England Patriots executive Nick Caserio to solve a large set of problems within the organization, the Houston Texans have created additional ones with star quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Watson offered his input on potential general manager candidates, but the Texans neither considered nor consulted with those endorsed by their franchise quarterback, league sources told ESPN.

Additionally, the Texans did not inform Watson that they intended to hire Caserio, and he found out about the hire on social media. That contributed to Watson taking to Twitter that night to post "some things never change...."

Watson's feelings were not directed toward Caserio, sources told ESPN, but instead were indicative of the way business was again conducted by the Texans.

Last offseason, Houston didn't let Watson know that star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins would be traded, which led to some disappointment. Now that it has happened again, Watson is said to be infinitely more bothered, sources told ESPN.

This time, Watson had met with Texans owner Cal McNair on several instances, sharing thoughts on certain candidates that came highly recommended, with Watson suggesting that the team at least talk to them, sources told ESPN. He did not expect Houston to hire those that he endorsed, but he was hoping the Texans would be respectful of the feelings of the group of his teammates that he was trying to represent, sources told ESPN.

The Texans, however did not act on their quarterback's thoughts and charged ahead with a hire that mattered to a much smaller circle than the one that Watson was trying to aid, sources told ESPN.

Even if they didn't want to move forward with any of Watson's recommended candidates, he wanted to at least have the opportunity to meet with ownership's finalists so he could offer his thoughts from a player standpoint to benefit the team - then the Texans could hire who they wanted. The opportunity never came.

Now the question becomes what the fallout will be. The Texans clearly have an unhappy quarterback on their hands, as they welcome Caserio to their franchise to try to help rebuild it. There already has been speculation that Watson could demand a trade, though the general manager is only just starting his job and the team still doesn't have a head coach. If the team were to trade Watson, it would have to absorb a salary-cap charge of $22 million, though it could get back a bounty of draft picks and players if it were willing.

But as Caserio arrives in Houston to clean up the mess, the mess is actually larger due to the events that surrounded his hiring. Now the Texans have a disillusioned franchise quarterback.

Last edited:
Obviously McNair wanted Caserio very badly.

He made a 1st time GM the 3rd highest paid GM in the NFL. That proves to me Caserio was Cal's guy.
That proves to me that Cal is doing as he has been instructed. If Easterby or Caserio tell Cal we need to do this and do that, my gut tells me Cal will say OK. I'm not sure Cal has the wherewithal to think situations through, analyze and think critically enough to make the right decision. Cal is not a leader, Cal is a FOLLOWER.

Last edited:
Unbelievable the run this is getting...with not a whole lot of anything...and it has gone from “might” to “irked” to “extremely unhappy”

When something grows like that in the span of a few hours it’s the tell-tell sign that it’s just a rumor based on a tiny itty bitty bit of truth....probably something he said to someone that was taken out of context to boot.

Unbelievable the run this is getting...with not a whole lot of anything...and it has gone from “might” to “irked” to “extremely unhappy”

When something grows like that in the span of a few hours it’s the tell-tell sign that it’s just a rumor based on a tiny itty bitty bit of truth....probably something he said to someone that was taken out of context to boot.
Does anyone find it interesting that we have national media types like Peter King, Ian Rapoport and Adam Schefter all tweeting about the local team? All of a sudden, NRG is leaking like a sieve.

Back